Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
Ugh my explosive revenge against lab turrets is bottlenecked on paper. I wish I'd seen this coming when I threw away all those wrappers and ignored all those files.

What garbage is actually useful? Here's what I've figured out so far, what am i missing?
  • plastic bottles for general storage
  • tin and aluminum cans for batteries and grenades
  • glass bottles for molotovs
  • plastic bags for various armor recipes (survivor armor owns)
  • paper wrappers for dynamite
  • cardboard boxes and plastic cups seem pretty useless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Surely you have some spare skill books.

Welp I guess that covers all my paper needs. Thanks, I guess I got discouraged when I couldn't butcher the books and never tried disassembling from inventory.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
I love how the actual challenge of clearing a hospital is the fight against the clock. In every one I've been to the zombies have bashed enough walls to collapse the building in one area and are about to do it again. When I finally die in a hospital, it will be because some genius zombie dropped the roof on me.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
This game is loving insane. I just narrowly missed running over a necromancer during a handbrake turn, so I took my hands off the wheel and started shooting mid-skid. This is way way better than nethack.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
Welp there goes my first real character. Right after I finished armoring my mobile home, the Monster Mash, I got lazy and used the walk through walls CBM instead of a card to enter a military bunker. Doing that is a recipe for instant Fun.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Artificer posted:

Oh poo poo dude. That sucks. You didnt know that would happen huh?

Had no clue at all. Now I do and it's time to die in new and exciting ways, like getting stormed by a shocker and a shocker brute at the same time. Survived this time at half health and I think I got phenomenally lucky.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Artificer posted:

Oooh. I found a plasma engine that I will never ever use due to the scarcity of its fuel, but it is still neat. What else can you find in a bank vault? What about jewelry store vaults?

I've also found rare CBMs (Time Dilation, Teleport Unit, Probability Travel) and superalloy plating in bank vaults. Going on a heist spree with a stethoscope, an assault rifle, and a dozen dynamite is one of my favorite things to do right now.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

Elf's probably my favorite, though it continues to bug me that you still need to sleep occasionally even after getting Tireless.

Sleep is for the weak, drink coffee 24/7. As far as I can tell there are no ill effects and a single bag of coffee powder keeps you going for about 3 days. The bummer is that I'm just starting down the elf line and Phelloderm is decreasing my consumption so my thirst/sleep levels are out of whack.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
Yeah, I believe it does work for all stimulants. Coffee and pink tablets are nice since they don't harm your health or risk addiction. I guess I should probably start stockpiling chocolate covered coffee beans and inhalers too.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

M.Ciaster posted:

MREs have a single unit of coffee powder, and that poo poo's all around the place in regular houses too (and of course coffee shops)

I didn't know that and now I think this thread has solved all my problems. Between stretching my coffee supply with turbo atomic brewing and getting another bag or two out of my MREs, I may never need to sleep again.

What's the best weapon you guys have put together? The lab I just finished gave me a bionic-powered laser assault rifle with an underbarrel shotgun full of explosive slugs. If the thing had ten more range I would sacrifice all my other guns to the RNG.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Dareon posted:

a .22 Marlin rifle with suppressor, barrel extension and sniper conversion (Plus scopes and laser sights galore. Still not sure how two laser sights is better than one, but hey). Plentiful ammo, range nearly out to view distance, and while it didn't do whole hell of a lot of damage, it was quiet enough that nothing really knew where I was shooting from until it was dead.

I think but am totally not sure that the different sights help zero in on different dispersion thresholds at different aim speeds. Lower is better for both.

For example, laser sights have dispersion 105/aim speed 0, while improved iron sights have dispersion 45/aim speed 6. So if you had both of those, aiming would get you to 105 dispersion real quick then further aiming would get you down to 45 more slowly. Scopes have less dispersion and slower aim speed than that.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Artificer posted:

Edit: There's no point on having two laser sights on a gun, is there? One on the rail and one underbarrel?

I don't think so. They have identical dispersion and aim speed and from the docs on github:

"When sight_dispersion and aim_speed are present in a gun mod, the aiming system picks the "best" sight to use for each aim action, which is the fastest sight with a dispersion under the current aim threshold."

So just use the rail laser! It's a tiny bit lighter and you can strap a whole other gun on the underbarrel slot.

Also my amazing gun could not save me from inevitable fate. I've learned that I shouldn't drive 40 through an unexplored town, minefields can appear right next to houses so their warning signs look like house signs, and carrying four completely full gas tanks + 20 pounds of dynamite in a car doesn't make it robust against explosions. Caution is the strongest armor.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Artificer posted:

Though the fact that I'm lugging around two mininukes in my car probably means that had they cooked off I would be very very dead right now. Is it possible to survive a mininuke?

Looks like mininukes don't cook off, they just crack if damaged and leak radiation. None of the bombs aside from fertilizer bombs have the cookoff flag. I guess that's good news if you're killin zombie soldiers with a flamethrower.

Incendiary and explosive ammo rounds are another story and could probably cause a hilarious chain reaction. Especially if carefully stockpiled in a single cargo carrier designated for guns and ammo. I think I'll be passing on those from here on out, which sucks.

Edit: Welp testing confirms that dynamite doesn't cook off, explosive ammo does, incendiary does too but doesn't seem to start secondary fires, and in the end it doesn't matter. A gas powered car with none of that in it blows up real good on its own. The explosive ammo would probably just accelerate the process with a lucky fire placement.

palamedes fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 4, 2015

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
Wow the dev version is kicking my rear end just short of killing me. Between the stamina system, encumbrance nerf, and stimulant nerf my rhythm is completely thrown off. Sheltered start feels harder now, I'm getting bodyslammed all over by abundant hulks and brutes.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
I'm not opposed to the encumbrance changes, you can get around it early game with a shopping cart and wearing a duffel bag once you've cleared the area. My guess is it was designed to make single pieces of good armor more appealing. Also by endgame in 0.C I was untouchable short of rifles, lasers, and explosions due to 6 layers of kevlar and leather on my bulletproof underwear and such.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

tooterfish posted:

Head encumbrance doesn't affect anything at all, and mouth and eye encumbrance don't affect melee skills.

I really really hope that's true because I'm rocking 102 head encumbrance. It's just a big old ball of leather, kevlar, and helmet netting.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

RNG didnt favour me. Still, I was already thinking about what to do better for my next vehicle. Like try use a gasoline engine since it's more plentiful. Or even go full electric with enough storage and panel space.

Or even a battle bicycle. With steamroller wheels.

If I die in one more turret incident I will build a windowless battlepod with security cameras and an enormous armored ram-phallus.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
What are people using to blast down concrete walls and metal doors in the dev version? Dynamite and fertilizer bombs have been hilariously nerfed. ANFO and RDX charges seem impractical to manufacture and haul. I got lucky and found an artifact that shakes down walls for 150 rads per charge but without it I think I would be shut out of these lab barracks.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Do acetylene torches not work any more? For the doors, anyways, I rarely if ever found the need to blow up actual walls.

A method that doesn't use explosives... it sounds crazy enough to work.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

M.Ciaster posted:

Sonic Resonator 4 lyfe.

If you don't have that, explosive shotgun shells work well on reinforced glass, as do 40mm concussion grenades. Regular walls can be bashed down with at least 10 strength and a sledgehammer/homewrecker. Or a well aimed car.

Or you could just burn the place down and sift the ashes for anything valuable :v:

Yeah I think my artifact is an eldritch sonic resonator. Lookin forward to jamming that CBM into my body! The torch ended up doing the trick and I think it'll hold me over until I resonate. Bank vaults, lab barracks, doctor and cop lockups, acetylene solves it all.

And I've found a new favorite gun: sawed off Saiga with replacement furniture and nothing else. It doesn't need to be fancy since it's practically a melee weapon and the low weight owns since it hasn't left my inventory for about a year.

President Ark posted:

Get a two-by-four, some metal chunks, and a fuckload of string to make a homewrecker, which is a godawful melee weapon that happens to have enough bash damage to let characters break down walls.

In the dev versions labs have concrete walls that you can't smash down with a homewrecker. This comes from sad experience. I'd also like to know if there's a way out of the lab aside from ID card or finding a teleporter.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

queserasera posted:

What level of construction and/or book recipe do you need to make a fermentation vat?

http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com/construction/view/9226

Looks like 2 construction and some simple tools. And you have to be on dev, not stable release.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

Some people just want to see the world burn.

NPCs are okay but if you could convince neutrals that rifling through your piles of scavenged items is not a *nice* thing, I'd be much happier about them showing up semi-randomly in the reality bubble.

This is exactly why I turned off dynamic NPCs. I saw one of them beelining toward the house I had just cleared out and the feeling in my gut was the opposite of fun. I bled for those clothes fucker, don't make me fight for them again.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Belasarius posted:

I feel like there should be some easy crafting/vehicle tech paths that you should probably do every time but i'm not sure what they are.

For me the priorities are
1) Get two layers of fully tailored clothes with minimal encumbrance.
2) Get a working car with at least a trunk. Mechanics is optional, there are working cars lying around that need at most some gas.
3) Get a shotgun and shot or slug shells. Any shotgun at all.
4) Get fabrication 6 and tailoring 5 and make a full set of light survivor gear with a regular survivor hood.
5) If it's cold or will be cold soon get electronics 4 and make a full thermal electric outfit. The recipe is in some common books.
6) Get melee 5 and make a survivor machete.

Once that's done you have an all-season low encumbrance outfit that's almost immune to normal zombies and smoke/gas/fungus/rain. You have a mobile base of operations. And you have an extremely strong melee weapon with a shotgun up your sleeve for emergencies.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Getting significant access to bionics or mutations requires raiding labs, and the least risky way to raid labs is with heavy survivor suit + helmet and light survivor everything else, which you get at tailoring 6+. Other than that there's not much point in talking about a "set path" because it all depends on what books you have, what tools you have, and what your goals are.

I like the light survivor suit over the heavy to keep torso encumbrance below 10. It's not hard to handle a lab without being bulletproof and even if you make a mistake the light suit will keep you alive until you can stop getting shot.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah but if you want a specific rare bionic or one of the rarer mutagen recipe books you could end up raiding dozens of labs before you get what you want. Better to have insurance against carelessness. I also tend to run melee characters since ranged weapons are such a pain in the rear end to set up and require a pretty demanding stat spread for ideal results, and the ability to just run up to an SMG turret and whack it over the head without taking any damage is nice.

Makes sense. I fight in melee most of the time because ammo is a hassle and a machete never runs out. The extra dodge and quicker attacks from no torso encumbrance seem worth it to me; if I want insurance, I can strap on an MBR vest.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Belasarius posted:

Thanks Palamedes, that is the type of thing I'm talking about. Optimizing the use of time player time and character time at the beginning of the game. I think a nomadic looting style is the best way to begin. There are so many great items hidden everywhere. If you get a few good items you can break into labs, safes, etc. That's why I try to start in a pawn shop, because it gets rare drops. If there are eyebot alarms that helps you escape as well.

edit: this pawn shop was stunning as I have an electric jackhammer for example.

Yeah stripping every building around is a good way to start. For me the bottleneck has been the skills and materials for the survival gear. There are a lot of ingredients, but the 700 duct tape + machete or 800 duct tape + blade is what I'm always worried about. If you can find a book with a duct tape recipe then you're golden.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Belasarius posted:

that's funny. I tend to have more loot than I know what to do with. The only supplies I ever lack are the ones I didn't think to pick up. I almost never want to craft anything ever because it takes so much time.

You underestimate how fast I want that survivor gear. Every day without a mask is a day when you'll probably get the flu or some godawful cold.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Belasarius posted:

yeah but filter masks and gas masks are common. if you like you can even hunt the survivor zombies plus with str 20 you rarely get sick and don't stay sick long. how fast can you get that all assembled by the way?

Probably thirty days to get the full survivor armor. Scavenging was delayed by the badass spawns from a sheltered start. I wasn't single minded about it either, I ended up with a decent pile of meds and electronics and guns as well.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah but if you want a specific rare bionic or one of the rarer mutagen recipe books you could end up raiding dozens of labs before you get what you want. Better to have insurance against carelessness. I also tend to run melee characters since ranged weapons are such a pain in the rear end to set up and require a pretty demanding stat spread for ideal results, and the ability to just run up to an SMG turret and whack it over the head without taking any damage is nice.

I tried this out and I think you've converted me. I still prefer light survivor gear for ransacking cities, but going with heavy or winter makes my labs twice as fast due to no longer giving a gently caress.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

tooterfish posted:

I always run heavy gear now, 20 odd encumbrance isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme. It barely affects your melee capabilities at all, and ranged weapons seem useless beyond 10 or so tiles no matter what, so the only things you'd ever need use them for (things like military turrets) you can't anyway! Just lob EMP grenades at those instead.

You can make use of long range rifles if you're patient. Attach your lowest dispersion scope and mods, go to a safe range (and stay at a safe range if we're talking tank drone), and manually aim each shot until steadiness is full. With around marksman 3 and rifle 3 I can pop turrets from 40 away with ten 30-06 rounds and killed a tank drone from 50 away with 25 rounds from a Barrett sniper rifle.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Welp if you're tired and sleep near fungaloids laying down spore beds, you might wake up to your car completely entombed in the stuff. Trying to drive out just ripped my car apart.

Same here, only it was ramming a fungal bed. If you stop trying to drive out before you're totaled there are two solutions I know of. You can smash all the fungal beds, deconstruct every piece of your car that's on a fungal bed and smash those fungal beds, then rebuild and drive out. Or open the debug menu and turn all the fungal beds to dirt with the map editor.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

I've just welded a random bit of scrap metal from a locker to my katana to make it sharper. Take that, Zen blacksmith masters who meditate under a waterfall for 6 weeks before forging.

Joke's on you, they know the ancient secret of welding two random bits of scrap metal onto it.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Ideally it would be possible to set up an efficient hybrid thing where you can have a gas tank simply charge a battery, to supplement a solar array, but I am not clear on if that is possible.

It's possible but it takes 8 mechanics to install the second engine. And you give up an advantage of solar vehicles which is no gas tanks to explode. I like to install a massive array of storage batteries, run on gas or diesel while they charge, then fully transition to electric when they're full.

Fat Samurai posted:

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on vehicles, please? I'm right down in the middle of a city and I'm getting bored. I don't need to build a tank right now, just something with a big trunk and durable so I can move to a more interesting area.

The best cars are frankensteined together from multiple other cars. Doesn't have to be complicated. Find a working or almost working car and replace the seats/trunks with some other vehicle's cargo carriers.

I like the SWAT Van as a starter vehicle. It has a heavy duty frame and reinforced windshield, it comes with armor you can actually repair with a sane skill level, and there's plenty of room in the back for cargo carriers. My current ride is one of those. I just patched up all the damage, replaced the back with a shitload of cargo carriers, and slapped in an RV kitchen unit.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

Change batteries! Jack a better battery from a wreck and replace it, requiring a minimal investment in Mechanics only. That or attach the car/truck battery to a solar array and let the sun slowly build the charge up for you.

Yup just yank a fuller battery out of another car. Or if you're full on gas you can leave your car's engine on whenever possible. This will slowly charge up your battery. Get a truck alternator from somewhere and replace yours with it to speed up the process at the cost of a little speed.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Even making survivor gear is like that really - you need to be willing to settle for extra sturdy hoodies and cargo pants for a long while as you explore restlessly, hoping to find the Kevlar you need to make it work.

On a somewhat related note, is padding stuff with leather/Kevlar a good idea? I've padded a number of things with leather at this point and while it claims it's been reinforced, I've yet to see that borne out in the numbers.

Kevlar isn't too hard to find. Butcher the clothes on firefighters, soldiers, and Z-9s and you'll be swimming in kevlar patches. As far as using it for reinforcement that depends on what version you're playing. On 0.C yes absolutely kevlar up your gear. It adds a few points of protection with maybe added weight as a downside. On the dev versions kevlar reinforcement increases encumbrance so it's more of a tradeoff. Definitely worth padding your helmet though.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm messing around more with mechanics and electronics, but i'm a little stuck. How do I charge batteries and stuff with my solar/regular car? I'm a little lost.

You've got a couple options. Put a rechargeable battery mod on items, install a recharging station on a cargo space in your car, turn the recharger on at the car controls, and dump the items into that space. This means they no longer accept regular batteries though. A few rechargeable UPSes and some UPS conversion mods work too.

Or migrate away from using battery powered appliances as much as possible. A vehicle welding rig, vehicle forge rig, and a foodco kitchen buddy all run off car power instead of batteries.

Or seek the holy grail that is the UPS CBM and run all your stuff off bionic energy forever.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Ugh torso encumberment. How do you deal with it as a melee dude? When lootingexploring a place I carry along a ton of duffel and rucksacks, dropping them at the first sign of trouble so I can actually hit stuff. There's gotta be a better way! (footage of a giant 20 str brute whiffing strikes against a zombie child)

I run with a light survivor suit + light survivor harness + firefighter belt + drop leg pouches + two helmet nettings. That's around 70 storage with torso encumbrance less than 10. More if you can find a tactical dump pouch to replace the belt. I carry a duffel bag and equip it when I need to haul a lot of stuff home; with enough skill you can still thrash anything short of a hulk carrying that encumbrance.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

bitcoin bastard posted:

I went the other way, I'm a walking tank with heavy survivor everything except light survivor gloves, plus a sleeveless survivor duster with kevlar and leather padding (the leather ended up not bumping me to next encumbrance level). I keep my arms and hands relatively unencumbered for archery. Shooting arrows point blank just means you don't miss. :getin:

E: With this setup, I can facetank 2 zombie hulks at the same time and shrug off being slammed into a wall 3x with over half my health left by the time it's over.

Yeah if you're dedicated to guns or archery you have an entirely different perspective on encumbrance. But dropping to half health is unacceptable to me; I've seen situations with tag team feral predators doing 50% damage and a shitload of pain and I do not want to open myself up to dying that way. Mobility and firepower seems like the best way to go unless you want to facetank turrets and clear labs without caution.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

tooterfish posted:

With a little skill to offset the penalties, you could melee hulks just fine with ~3 torso encumbrance in the older experimentals. I used to rock heavy survivor gear and a slung rifle (just for show, never used the loving thing), and still variously hack, stab or batter them to death (depending on what weapon/MA styles I'd found) with very little trouble.

I'm not sure what it's like now, I haven't played since the most recent changes, but it's probably still worth experimenting with heavier equipment sets before dismissing them out of hand. Those seemingly big penalties might not turn out to be so significant.

You have a point there, I managed high encumbrance melee alright on a mutated cephalopod character. But the time penalties to attacking and moving are a problem if you're counting on stuns from your attacks. Being able to strike, stun, and run away to create space quickly is really valuable in a long fight like clearing a city block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
Nice, that looks a lot like my setup but with light survivor gear everywhere but the helmet. Right down to the SMG in the harness and RM228 in an ankle holster. The only refinement I can think of is filling your boots with knives and ditching the utility belt for a firefighter belt or tactical dump pouch if you can get the Integrated Toolset CBM. And have you considered a MAC-10 for your last resort SMG? The 30 round burst will murder anything.