Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
It's just a source for dyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Hagop posted:

This chunk-o-port is the best you can own a moving castle. Once I get one of these up Ever 1/2 hour or so my base will port to one of 7 random location.

Set up twelve quantum gates, have it transfer once an hour, call it Hour Hand and give it a clock theme.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
On a multiplayer server some dude I worked with would set up a quarry adjacent to a tesseract, the tesseract would feed into a buildcraft pipeline which separated the main garbage drops (dirt, cobble, sand, gravel) into four Deep Storage Units, all the ores would get dumped into an array of chutes which fed into more chutes which fed into pulverizers which fed into more chutes which fed into powered furnaces, and then all the ores and everything else dug up got piped into a chest with an import bus on it.

It worked great, but the more he gathered materials with his eight quarries he moved about deep enough under the earth not to breach the landscape, the rougher the lag got on that server. Gee I wonder why, I bet it was some jerk's space program.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Taffer posted:

More likely that was his pipes. Buildcraft pipes hooked up to a max speed quarry crush servers (quarries already crush pretty drat hard on their own), and if you multiply that by 8 you have a very sad server operator. Tell him to use ME next time.

Wouldn't that involve quantum gates to ship from the quarries to the base? These quarries were scattered across the map more or less randomly, in part to hide our base and in part because it was super easy to just power suit somewhere random, sink a 8 deep hole, and drop a redstone power cell, a quarry, and an item tesseract in a row.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
You can import bus off of a tesseract?

Neat!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

MisterOblivious posted:

Yup. The guys used to constantly yell at me for my BC pipe rats' nests and the harm they inflicted on the server.
Quarry -> tesseract -> dirt/cobble DSU bypass -> ME system, ME -> ore processing -> ME

Depressing. There's little in life as cool as a big tangle of pipes with carefully sorted stone and cobblestone systems to let as many flows as possible pass through your main work area as if Serial Experiments Lain had exploded. A short stack of ME servers just isn't the same as twenty big dumb interlocking pipe systes.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Sage Grimm posted:

You probably can emulate something similar with ComputerCraft and have a bank of monitors with various numbers rolling madly upward/downward/flashing like some madcap nuclear power plant.

Maybe I could set up a constantly updating feed of what just got passed in through the tesseract somehow. Bonus points: Whenever a diamond gets dug up, set off a klaxon.

e: Same problem with waterproof pipes? What's the thoughtful user's oil-drilling solution?

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 9, 2013

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
That's why my rule of thumb is only use BJMJ. If a mod is compatible with buildcraft reactors, it's (generally) designed to let me do fun things and set up interesting contraptions. If it's powered exclusively by EUs, it's designed to make me fiddle around with individual bits to make it do anything, and that anything is generally just explode.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 13, 2013

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Once you have the setup for a energy cell (minimum: pulverizer, powered furnace, induction smelter, magma crucible, liquid transposer) you can make a Redstone Energy Cell.

Before then you probably don't have enough engines to be worth storing energy from them. Honestly I suggest just using a clockwork engine or three for everything until redstone power conduits.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

EgoEgress posted:

Sorry to jump in on Lizard Wizard's question, but I'm moving on to 1.6.4 at this point, does anyone here know of BuildCraft power storage options in a cold, TE-less world?

Enormous tank of lava + magmatic engine.

E: Cripe, that's also Thermal Expansion.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Lizard Wizard posted:

Me and my brother are messing around with Big Dig, and as far as power, we don't know what the gently caress.

We want to try and store this power, but we've always relied on IC2 so we don't know what the gently caress. If we were to use an Energy Cube from UE, would we be able to draw power out of that with a wooden redstone pipe? If not, what do we do for power? Please help!

Every power system has it's advantages and drawbacks. Buildcraft's MJ are generally designed to be not stored--you're supposed to run engines as you need them, and shut them down when not in use, and the warm up / cool down time of the various engines is part of the decision-making process as to what energy system to setup. Unfortunately, the energy conduits shown in your picture are hilariously bad, and also kind of buggy. You should never use them for anything. Also people have been telling me to never use buildcraft pipes for memory reasons, and buildcraft waterproof pipes all require cacti, and growing cacti is something that no one should ever have to do.

So here's an illustrated walkthrough of how to get started with MJ in Big Dig. First, choose a base location, somewhere easy to get to, easily expandable, and with ready access to whatever wood, ores, and various animal products you feel you need.

I chose this village.

You'll also need a diamond pick (to get obsidian with), as much obsidian as you can bring yourself to get (ten for a nether portal and ten more to start with is fine to begin with) as well as a bunch of other metals--gold, silver, a stack of iron, lead, copper, and redstone. Wood, stone. Some glass. A furnace to smelt stuff in. Two flint, two nether bricks (stolen from a nether fortress or made by smelting 8 netherrack) and some cobblestone. A stack of coal or charcoal. Maybe.... maybe! Some quartz. And some more redstone.

This step you can probably skip: If you really, really want to maximize ore returns, a "Grind Stone" with a "Wooden Crank" stuck on top is a way to pulverize ores without any power. Just click on the crank, watch it go around, and repeat. Every eight cranks will pulverize one ore into two dusts, which can be smelted into two ingots. But you're playing Big Dig so w/e, who cares, you'll make a big boy pulverizer soon anyway.

Smelt enough just metal for this setup which I'm standing in front of: A chute over a pulverizer, between a Stirling engine w/ lever and a chest. This gold chest is for rad dudes, and is made from eight gold around a iron chest, which is eight iron around a normal chest. Lame dudes can substitute a normal chest. The rest of this setup takes 11 iron, 2 gold, 2 copper, and some assorted stuff--you can substitute pretty much any engine for the stirling engine, but I wouldn't bother. Sticking a clockwork engine on the pulverizer couldn't hurt. Then toss all your ores into the chute, being sure to toss in some iron ore first, turn on the engine, and go do something else while they pulverize. Also pulverize a few obsidian at some point.

The configuration for the pulverizer is simple... the blue side (which you'll put on the top) takes stuff in to be pulverized. The orange side (same side as the chest) spits out both of the outputs directly into the gold chest. It's also kind of stupid--the chute will feed ANYTHING into the pulverizer, and if it can't be pulverized it'll just sit there in the in feed and everything stops moving.

After it's pulverized a bunch of iron ore grab some pulverized iron and some pulverized ferrous metal from the chest and combine it into Invar Blend. Smelt that Invar Blend and you get Invar Ingots.

Use those Invar Ingots (along with 2 copper, 2 gold, 7 iron, and 4 glass) into an Induction Smelter. Steal the Stirling engine from your pulverizer and stick it next to the induction smelter, and ignore the configuration because who cares. This lets you make Electrum (Gold + Silver) or Hardened Glass (Pulverized Obsidian + Lead). Make some of each.

Once you have electrum and hardened glass, you can make Empty Conduits. Nearly there! Make a bunch.

Now make an extra Stirling engine, chutes, and one Magma Crucible and one Liquid Transposer. Above, the Magma Crucible is on the left. Stick redstone into the left chute, and empty conduits on the right. Set up the configurations as shown--blue for either one is input, so the input of the Liquid Transposer should be against the output for the magma crucible. Make sure the drop on the Liquid Transpower UI is pointed as shown... it can be flipped by clicking on the bucket. Turn on the Stirling Engines, and let it run. The magma crucible melts redstone into liquid redstone and passes it into the liquid transposer, which puts it into the empty conduits to make them redstone power conduits. Two Redstones, melted, fills one Redstone Energy Conduit, which is the only power cable you should ever need.

Once you have some redstone Conduits, you can move your engines again and hook them up to all of your machines simultaneously. Hooray! Power flows directly to any machine using it, allowing you to run things as you need them.

Note that, by default, Redstone Conduits feed energy TO any device they're connected to, even engines. In the shot above, only the bottom engine will feed energy into the cables... the top cable has a six-pixel arrow pointing towards the engine, and a blue line next to the arrow. To flip the direction of the flow, whack the conduit with a wrench.

Now that you can make Redstone Conduits (and, incidentally, Liquiducts and Redstone Energy Cells) you can move on to the crazy stuff. Quarries from your sky palace, an Applied Energistics Mass/Energy storage solution, an array of forty Magmatic Engines fueled by lava drawn from hell, yadda yadda yadda. It's a little slow to get going, but believe me, any way to skip right past the Buildcraft default energy pipes is a blessing.

e: To actually touch on Redstone Energy Cells, if you want to use them set 'em up like this.

Remember, conduits with the orange connector are flowing AWAY from the adjacent block, while blue is TOWARDS. Toggle the conduits with a wrench. So we have our engine(s) on the left, which feed into the energy cell. Then a different conduit feeds out from the energy cell to the machines. If these two cables were connected, energy would flow out of the energy cell and back into itself, losing a small percentage each tick, so you'd gradually depower your energy cell.

This setup stores all the power from the engines, and emits power as the engines request it.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 14, 2013

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

KingLemming posted:

Not going to lie, if I knew that I could set up a Kickstarter and pull in a really absurd amount of cash, I'd be more than willing to write a voxel engine and game.

I can't even consider that right now though, since I'd have to be amazingly dumb to drop out of a PhD fellowship when I've finished everything except for the dissertation.

Something to dream about happening in the future, then.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Alkydere posted:

On a non technical issue: does anyone have any ideas for projects that can use up a giant pile of energy? I want to experiment with setting up a nuclear reactor, but at the same time I want an excuse to need all that power.
A series of Laser Drills, ostensibly to extract ore from beneath the bedrock, but actually so the main path into your base is flanked by brilliant white lasers shooting down from the scaffolding above, creating a perfect place to have awesome star wars duels.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Who cares if PC modifies code with a core mod? Modifying someone else's code is what modding is all about!

If I make a mod to add hats, and then bob makes a mod that adds thirty MORE hats but crashes every five goddamn minutes, I don't want to have to troubleshoot bob's goddamn lovely hat double mod.

Which is reasonable, but soon both I and Bob have a hat mod and a forum community of hat enthusist minecraft followers who get into arguments about the one true hat and jump on each other for trying to run both.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

That's an accurate summary of this situation, but to be fair, you should stop taking potshots at Bob and his mod at every step and your community probably wouldn't follow your example and be so terrible, and you'd stop looking like such a poo poo as well.

But then how would anyone know how bad at coding Bob is? (And by the transitive property how great I am?)

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Clockwork Chain Engine

Stuff a metal block into it, it generates power over time as the block is slowly lowered by a chain. The longer a drop from the engine, the longer it generates power. When the block comes to a rest X blocks below, it is placed and the chain rewound, ready for a new iron block (or the same one, mined and carried back to the engine) to be placed in the engine. For bonus points, the thing cuckoos when the block reaches the bottom.

Entropic Engine

Slowly grinds nearby stone into cobblestone, cobblestone into gravel, and gravel into sand. Once there's no stone, cobble, or gravel nearby, it stops generating power.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Actually, if you are working with MineFactory compatability, it'd be neat to have a sewage and sludge burning engines--maybe a big goofy waste boiler?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Hagop posted:

Totally, a quarry replacement should handle all liquids via replacement or removal, it should wall its self in as it digs, should only load the chunks the dig head and output box are in, should not over flow its output, and should have an option to auto back fill.

I know the big dumb hole quarries leave are ugly, but c'mon, you can work around that. Why is there such a clamor for a quarry that doesn't dig a big dumb hole?

If I knew what I was doing (I don't and probably never will) I'd make a quarry that completely ignores gravel and has a one in eight chance to replace any block it digs up with gravel. That way the holes it dug out wouldn't end in bedrock, they'd end in rough, irregular piles of waste rock.

e: OooooOOOOooooh.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 12, 2013

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
A few stacks of glass, and it blocks up any open/liquid squares adjacent to the drill but you can still see through all classy-style?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Turtles can load code off of pastebin, so it's pretty simple to find someone who did a mining program and use it to replace quarries with something less destructive.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Ahdinko posted:

I spotted that half way through and corrected myself, I thought I'd leave my mistake in and my correction in as a learning experience as I could see others making the same mistake

So it boils down to your expectations... do you want us to join you in the joy and wonder of experiencing and becoming involved in a new mod, or do you want the video to teach us how the mod works slash how good it is?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Ahdinko posted:

I'm aiming to teach people the mod rather than about my discovery, and honestly, I didn't really think 20 seconds correcting an earlier misinformation took away from the video. But it has been noticed so I'll need to make sure I cut stuff like that out in the future and replace it.
Now I've gotta find out how to cut the middle of a clip out and then stick it back together, yay adobe after effects!

Well, yeah. If you're trying to be factual, edit out those mistakes. It's more work that recording once and then shouting, "That's a wrap! Upload that fucker to Youtube!" but doing an editorial pass instantly makes you better than the 98% of commentators who can't be bothered to do even that.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
IGNORE ME

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Recent infernal versions have the heal effect from lifesteal set the mob's max hp. So if a mob has 50/80 HP, and heals for 3, then it has 53/53 HP and can't heal further. Suddenly there are no more immortal mobs, which is nice.

It's still a goddamn nightmare fighting a Bulwark Lifesteal Vengeance Darkness Wither mob, which tags you for draining damage and heals every time YOU attack it, also you fight entirely blind. An 80 HP zombie that was too slow to touch me and had no ranged attacks took me ten minutes to whittle down, and I don't know what happened to it after it was down to 30 HP. As far as I know, it still wanders those tundras, preying upon noobs.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
If you're a hands on kinda guy, you might consider coming up with some incredible machine style challenges for the kids. Start simple, say, with a machine and a power source, and some wires in a box, and then ask them to, "hook everything up." Get more complex over time, start only providing parts or raw ores, that kind of thing. After they get the hang of individual parts, start stacking them--things like, "Can you make a machine that macerates everything in this hopper, and then spits the gold dust in one bin and all the other dusts in a second bin?" And just go from there. If you leave the bits from the challenges wherever you did them, it's only a matter of time before they're scavenged and set up in their base. Take it slow, only introduce one thing at a time, and within a week they'll have some really neat devices that do... something. Maybe something inexplicable. Kids, man.

Giving children goals encourages them onwards, and layering previous goals lets them do more complex tasks without making it any more challenging. Don't be afraid to provide scaffolding ("I bet that machine needs power to run," and so forth) because that's where the most learning happens.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Consider making the handle paper. It tanks durability, but weapons don't see as much use as tool anyway, and the extra mod slot lets you stack on more quartz for more damage. As long as you put a moss on there for regen, a weapon will probably never break.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Seed every dungeon chest to have 1-3 machine frames and 1-2 factory blocks, then block crafting of machine frames and factory blocks.

E: Seriously, is there a good source of dungeons that could be reset once a week? Dimension Doors or something? This might be an interesting gimmick for a server.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 17, 2014

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

fondue posted:

It's not; it's saved in the users .dat file.

Whoah, what? Like, on our computer?

Can we edit that?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Fortis posted:

* Unstable ingots are pretty terrible. They explode catastrophically 10 seconds after being crafted, which WILL kill you (there is a special death message for it). They'll also explode if you drop them on the ground. You basically have to make them and then immediately make what you want to make with them and if you gently caress up, you're going to die. The only thing I've found them to be really useful for is Ethereal Glass, which will let players pass through it, but not mobs, and looks pretty cool.

Are you making GBS threads on the phenomenal builder's wand? With a click on (nearly) any block, you place another block of the same type from your inventory on it! Unimpressed? The effect expands to all nearby blocks of the same type at that level, to a maximum of nine at a time! Just click once on top of a wall with a builder's wand, and now that wall is one block taller. Expand rooves and floors across the ground with speed, ease, and precision! And it has infinite uses and no cost to utilize.

Everyone should spawn with a goddamn builder's wand, they are phenomenal.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Also now your rows and rows of essentia tanks have to be set up with tiny access platforms and handicap ramps for the golems.
Plus, you get the essentia TO the room by I guess burning the mats for essentia in another room and having a series of tubes carry the essentia to the room? Because microblocks don't work with essentia tubes you need a block of space between each pipe, so that's a lot of space if you want to have more than one cooker at a time. Or you can do the old five alembec stack with five jars, if you also want to surround THAT with a bunch of access platforms for the golems and don't mind that hideous conglomorate of slabs and stairs in the corner of your otherwise awesome infusion alter chamber.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
So I've set up a set of pylons from AE to store and recall rooms... next step is to make a computercraft system to let you select from a variety of landscapes by clicking on a big ole' monitor.

Is there a good tutorial for setting up GUIs using computercraft and advanced monitors? I've got some experience in programming so I can do the rest once I get my grubby mitts on the appropriate calls and maybe a good example.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Fun fact re: Spatial Pylons in Applied Energistics

When you flip the switch to run 'em through the spatial IO port, they only encode for the contents the FIRST time you run them through. After that, they swap their contents with the area within the pylons. So if you put a fresh 1283 storage unit into, say, your rooftop garden pylons with a dimension of 27 x 27 x 12, it'll store that much garden. And then when you run it through again, it won't 'empty' the cell, it'll just replace the cell contents with a 27 x 27 x 12 block of air.

Which means if you try to empty a cell so you can take it somewhere else to snag an interesting landmark in a set of pylons measuring 14 x 14 x 25, it won't let the swap occur because there's no room for 27 x 27 x 12 empty space inside of those four pylons. And you will then spend like two hours trying to get the drat thing to work, with no UI and no feedback to tell you what's wrong, all because that empty storage isn't the same thing as a new empty storage, even though there's no difference in the tooltip or the meta data.

Moral of the story: You need fresh Spatial Storage units for every shape of pylons you want to work with. Either always use the same size for your pylon projects, or get used to throwing the drat things away when you're done with them.

Also there should be an indicator of the size of a storage unit's contents when you mouse over it.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Maybe? I'll try when next I'm on.

But if you can I'd never know, because it looks the same before and after preliminary loading.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Bah. Teleportation is just an excuse to not build rail networks and item logistics!

I was way into the idea of rail networks carrying materials mined from my mines and drilled from my wells until I found out that the price of tracks in railcraft had been arbitrarilly increased and hidden behind several tech upgrades so that in the train mod featuring trains I wouldn't exploit the trans too early or too much.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
I still like, "Stop Toasting: We Have Enough Toast"

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

mechaet posted:

If only because everyone needs hundreds of thousands of each material for...I don't know, to be honest :)

Have you seen our building? It's stupid huge. Digging out the basement involved multiple digital miners shucking out 300k blocks, and replacing the floor took about seven thousand. I refuse to think about the walls. The hotswappable garden I'm trying and failing to set up upstairs just eats gold like coal, and our next big goal is a six beacon setup with nothing but manyullyn. Instead of relying on digital miners or ore multipliers, we've set up a series of magical crops farms stacked skyscraper style into a nearby single chunk. I'm not sure what's next, but it'll be expensive and kind of stupid.

Restraint is for losers.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How are you setting up the magical crop farm? I thought magical crops hated automation.

They explicitly hate fertilizer. Sprinklers and watering cans work, though. Swing on by the Never Stop Toasting: Diet if you want to poke at the setup, it's all powered by a few windmills because harvesters / planters only consume power when a plant hits maturity and magic crops grow so slowly that's relatively rare.

Back at the base, all essences >1000 automatically get processed, but that's not chunkloaded so it only happens when we're on.

Baron Snow posted:

What about a shopping mall set up for supplying new players with starter materials?
Hrm.

Yes, that is a thing we can do. It will be like Goonbase, but instead of containing literally all things, it will contain starting packages so players who want to accomplish things on their own can still skip the shitfarmer stage.

It should also have a giant gorilla, and a funhouse ride of some sort. Time to investigate redstone in motion.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Well, nevermind then!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Saw this on RPS earlier today. Someone's getting ready to kickstart something called "Sticks and Starships," and from looking at their draft kickstarter, it looks like they're basically making Tekkit: the Game.

Looking at their description and screenshots, the core game is modeled heavily off Minecraft, but unlike other minecraft clones, the features and especially the screenshots look strongly reminiscent of some of the more popular tech mods. It's too early and too ambitious for me to get even a little bit excited, but it's something I'm going to keep an eye on.

Hey, when someone finally makes a better optimized minecraft it's a day one purchase.

Well, maybe not day one. Day N, where N is when enough people agree it runs better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Alkydere posted:

Oh wow, looking at their stuff they have an impressive amount of work already done that looks loving amazing. Everything in that kickstarter looks really, really good. I mean, holy poo poo, that looks smooth, polished and almost done. I wonder what they're still working on besides maybe balance, story and making multiplayer work/stable.

Deep breaths. Is there any evidence that any of those blocks do anything, that they know how resource collection/digging will work, that any of the entities collide with anything, that placing blocks like, say, fences, dynamically changes blocks around them, or that you can place or remove blocks at all yet?

No?

It's great to hear that another group is getting cracking on the Minecraft Killer, and I hope they succeed, but they're not done, "besides maybe balance, story, and making multiplayer work/stable."

• Locked thread