Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Nephilm posted:

One Way Heroics is out on steam, for anyone who hadn't heard of it.

Thanks. You can also redeem your copy from PLAYISM onto Steam - sign in, hit "My Account", and there will be a serial code that Steam will take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

German Joey posted:

the way i feel about all the, air-quotes, "roguelike-likes," that are basically just platformers and fpses or whatever that have fuckall to do with any gameplay elements from rogue, is what General Jack D. Ripper had to say about communists if you replace the words "precious bodily fluids" with "cred" in that water fluoridation scene from dr. strangelove

While this is true, seeing more randomisation and permadeath in other games is a good thing! Those aren't roguelike features but just good game features; somehow the term "good game" with that meaning hasn't caught on.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Jeffrey posted:

I'm gonna make a 4d roguelike where you walk around on a 4 dimensional grid. Just wait until you see my vi keys.

a 3D roguelike that allows full movement (like 2d 8-directional, 9 keys with "wait") would need 27 keys so that's just the alphabet and one other key. Making it 4D goes to 81, so each of those keys has the shift and ctrl version. Still leaves you with the numbers, punctuation, and the ctrl-shift-letters for commands, no problem :)

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The old requirement was "be berserking in order to pick it up" but I think the developer changed it to some far more convoluted achievement-related thing because he's in on the circlejerk.

Been a while since I've played DoomRL, but I had the impression that the convoluted thing was a way to make it guaranteed to appear (on Nightmare! in the Cathedral) and that picking it up was something more universally doable than berserking. Try dropping your equipment/inventory/etc?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm working on Version 1.03 right now, doing a major overhaul of the tables, and normalizing the difficulty somewhat, as well as improving the formatting of the rules pages. Once that's done, and I've let the ideas get tested a fair bit more, 1.04 will probably mostly be class rebalancing, and then I'll likely put new updates on the backburner for a while. I have some other ideas for similar games that have been coalescing since I started S'xsyde, and I wanna give those a shake, too.

Is S'xsyde from "six side" or "dSexy's"?

The game looks neat. Is there any actual maze or can you just decide how much of each floor you want to explore (11-25 spaces, assuming you leave 11 for the way out)?

I think the blacking out rules need fixing: "black out each square in a cardinal direction from all blacked out squares" should probably be "black out each square adjacent to a blacked out square", clarifying "adjacent" if needed.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

The Qud LP in the other thread is making me want Qud to exist.

e: More specifically, I'm intrigued by the character creation and it seems the interface/gameplay will be way better than Dredmor. I wanted so much to like that game, but couldn't stand it after making a character, after playing games like DoomRL / DCSS.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 27, 2015

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

andrew smash posted:

Is there an .ini file or something i can edit to get all the poo poo unlocked in doomrl? I built a new machine between now and the last time i played it and i completely forgot that you have to do a boring run before you can play angel games.

You need either to download the player.wad or score.wad (I forget which is which) from an install that has them unlocked, but if you're capable of beating angels you can unlock stuff really fast with no trouble - just do a 100% conqueror or a melee run or something.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

You hear: a door opening, a bunch of formers injured and dead, an injured demon and archvile, and gunfire.

Amusingly, this will lead to getting information you shouldn't have (some enemies sound the same). Reminds me of the Juggler/configfile exploit.

Knowing left/right is pretty important though.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

Which ones? I just automatically generated all the "sounds", I didn't use the existing SFX as a reference. It would be really easy to change so that enemies that sound the same on speakers look the same in this mode, though.

Also, what's the juggler/configfile exploit?

All the formers sound the same (apparently there are 3 death sounds though - captain/sergeant share #2), nightmare enemies are silent, and a lot of enemies use the same pain sounds - caco/demon/lostsoul/arachnotron/hellknight/baron/bruiser/Cyberdemon use one, revenant/imp/former/JC share one, etc. See soundhq.lua for the exhaustive list.

Juggler lets you swap weapons freely (no time cost), but also use a doom-style weapon key freely (number keys 1-0 to choose any of the "normal" weapons). For a while if you used the config file to bind exotic/unique weapons to quickkeys, such as command.quick_weapon("unapalm"), that worked with Juggler too. Pretty sure I heard that was fixed, though.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

How much of a game is Qud at this point? I'm really not an early access person.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

I don't have a lot of time to work on ttymor, but the enthusiasm in this thread keeps me working on it at least a bit each day rather than spending all of my limited laptop time on Factorio.

Since Dredmor had the coolest character generation* and the most unplayable interface, I have great hope for ttymor.

*not playing Qud until post-alpha.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I've been really liking Nethack4 for being nethack without as bad interface or as many interface deaths. The other variants change too much. That said it's still nethack so I got a character pretty far and don't really feel like finishing, just like in NAOhack.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

On the other hand, DoomRL owns and has consumables out the rear end. How do I reconcile these opinions?

Maybe the inventory limits and lack of backtracking make DoomRL consumables more tolerable to you?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Unormal posted:

Why doesn't anyone ever confuse us with the URR or Cogmind guys, madjack?

I think the thread is saying its time for you to act like proper soulless corporations and begin mass murders mergers.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

9hotonic posted:

I've been playing Binding of Isaac for quite a while now, and I'm not super sure if I like rebirth or the original more. Rebirth definitely has way more content and features, but the original felt more like Edmund Mcmillan's work than the remake did, plus the soundtrack was a lot better in my opinion. How do you guys feel about them both, side by side?

(By the way, OP, the paragraph for the Binding of Isaac is missing the "of" in the title.)

I like the remake a lot more, it works a lot better (crashing, performance, joystick, controls in general, saving) and just has so much added content and special item combinations (A lot of the paired tear effects needed to be special-cased in).

I do really miss the old soundtrack, but that's about it.

Enjoying Starward Rogue so far but I need them to improve the joystick support to work with generic ones. It recognizes my awful stick and not my psx controller (Isaac: Rebirth and Jamestown are fine with both).

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The worst-case situation, at least from a player perspective, isn't "you make a totally crap game and nobody cares." It's that you inject new and interesting features into a game with basic mechanical blunders that suck too much to overlook.

Ah, Dungeons of Dredmor. Some would also argue this is true of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

victrix posted:

Don't like it, subjective of course. Several of their trailers also have some hilariously godawful overwrought singing in them, can't remember which game it was.

I love those songs and was sad to not be greeted by one at the Starward Rogue title screen.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Is there a game that combines Sil's documentation improving with more times fighting/killing a monster, with random monster design? I think that's a neat feature but it's pointless if the monster doesn't actually change between games, and I don't enjoy Sil itself.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

If all this sounds quite interesting, it is, but somehow it doesn't manage to be fun. I am a pretty casual player of such games, though, and Deadnaut lies in an intersection of RTS squad tactical and roguelike genres.

Thanks for the suggestion, but indeed I don't think it's for me. It's also made by the Zafehouse Diaries people, another game that didn't live up to its potential/hype.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Unimpressed posted:

Eh, you guys are putting down bionic dues like it's the worst game in the world. It's not great by any means, but you could easily kill 10 hours playing it, so if you get it for a few bucks on sale you haven't done too badly.

I didn't like the massive piles of stats on the items, but I can't get enough of the opening.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Rutibex posted:

Zelda 2 Randomizer
https://bitbucket.org/digshake/z2randomizer/wiki/Home
Same idea as the Zelda 1 Randomizer. Shuffles around the over world locations, and the dungeon layouts. I haven't had a chance to try this one personally, it's pretty new.

Trying this one out. I've had a bizarre opening, with spell order being Fairy, Reflect, Fire, Shield, Thunder, Life. I didn't set full mixing of terrains - don't really want to have to find palaces in the old random fairy/doll/potion spots, and such. I've been low on life/magic as well, as the containers were getting replaced by stuff like boots/raft. 14+ game overs!

Thanks for the links, I wouldn't mind trying FF6 sometime as well. Any recommended settings there? (and why on earth are these people catering to sketch-buggers?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The various randomizer game mods tend to assume that you have full mastery of every technique and glitch in the original game, because they're written by and for the people who have the kind of obsession with the game needed to want to write a randomizer in the first place. I mean, there's nothing wrong with that, but if you're coming in as a Casual Fan of X Game hoping to re-play it with a fresh spin, you're probably going to bounce off it pretty hard.

Sure, but they fix many of the standard glitches (Evade/Mblock, Vanish/Doom, Joker Doom) most of which require the player to go out of their way to exploit - so why leave the one bad enough that it was fixed on the physical cartridges, in which the player can ruin their game/saves without meaning to?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Unormal posted:

This is true and we're considering raising it to $14.99 when we exit Early Access, since our ambitions have increased dramatically since the early "slap on oryx and launch" days.

Thinking about getting it now, as always - I know I don't want to play until after Early Access, and I know I do want to play afterwards.

Incidentally I appreciate the "everything made since 2004 should work" on graphics card requirements, who wants to look up their card and then try to figure out how numbering systems have changed yet again. But why does it have an extra EULA?

Also, the store page says "The price won't change [after leaving Early Access]".

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Unormal posted:

We'll be updating the ea page when we make a final decision on it. Since it just makes EA purchase more attractive figure there's no rush to the door to update the text.

I decided on Sproggiwood instead! Enjoying it so far, but not a huge fan of the shopping stuff - is it reasonable to just buy the generic upgrades and let adventurers find their own items?

e: Sproggibug: when the Archer's first power gets a critical hit, it doesn't come out of the targetting for it even if there are no other foes.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 5, 2016

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

Can someone give me some advice on how to deal with that vampire wisp boss in Ignis Caverna? If I get up close, he murders me quickly; if I try ranged, he murders me slowly. And the only 'walkthroughs' I can find are YouTube videos, which I refuse to watch on the basic principle of 'I'll learn everything I don't want spoiled in five seconds and have to sit through two hours of Zany Internet Guy to find the cunningly hidden actually useful information'. I'd especially like advice for the Archer.

E: It would help if my post said 'Sproggiwood' in it somewhere huh.

With the archer, I just blasted it repeatedly with the level 3 Shoot Arrow - possibly found a potion of stamina? Beating him with the vampire seemed impossible (and I'm only on Normal!) until I thought of spawning ghosts and using Enthrall to regenerate HP endlessly while meleeing it.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Another Sproggiwood question - is the wizard intended to be "wizard mode"? The missile/yeti can kill things awfully quickly, and level 2 teleport is essentially invincibility + infinite experience (the decoys give you stamina + exp when enemies kill them, and the spell doesn't even take time).

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Even playing Sproggiwood only on Normal, I had to give up my "don't buy equipment" conduct for the last levels with some classes. I found I was basically startscumming since it was so luck-based which enemies I'd run into for the first few XLs to get options, so might as well actually buy some items. The game does lose a lot when you pre-choose your ideal character path instead of adapting, so I think best is to buy the weakest things you can to survive the first few foes. Looking forward to trying Savage once I finish off the last few classes.

Unormal posted:

If we wanted to make money, we should have made Sproggiwood generic grimdark crap. :shrug: ...also people don't like the very streamlined nature of it.
Very glad you didn't, unique settings and adorable visuals are great.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Surprised to learn today that Sproggiwood has real-time elements - you can take a bunch of steps between the time you pick up a consumable and it reaches your inventory, for improved positioning to use it (if you're keeping your old one).

Savage mode is savaging me. I bought a scroll of fireball as a starting item to make sure characters can get off the ground, hoping to hold out on weapons/armours still. I'll probably have to give in sooner than I did on normal, at least get a low-tier item for everybody. Still haven't figured out how to deal with black jelly, and I can only imagine what tricks the mate fish and orange mushrooms will get.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

Those are the ones that spawn from their own puddles, yeah? I used to hate those things until I realized that you can step on the puddles to disperse them, just like the other jelly puddles, which prevents the respawning. That said, it's still possible for them to get out of control, so yeah, handle them with care.

Those are the ones. On Normal they didn't seem all that special but with the extra splashes on Savage I often can't step on them all in time. Sometimes you can use enemies to clear them for you, I'm not good at setting that up yet.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Terry van Feleday posted:

In case you don't want to figure it out yourself, here's how to do it:

Thanks, I had figured out A but not B; just trying to be more cautious with movement had indirectly gotten me into better positions for spawning most of the time anyway.

Spamming the warriors Dervish and Shield Wall on an out of control infestation until you end up next to the stairs is pretty good.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

What if you were just trying to unlock more classes?

Maybe you have to get an athiest win to unlock Priest, or you can just pay $2...

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

madjackmcmad posted:

:toot::toot::toot::toot::toot:
:greatgift:BEST DAY EVER:greatgift:
:toot::toot::toot::toot::toot:

NE7N7-88WHB-F805D
WEL9N-AKNAV-6N99X
VQ0TV-L4L32-8KGQM
J38HJ-GI98E-54WDT
CR3WQ-8QEBJ-6QN4J

Dmans CE and Demon Truck. Probably, I think that's how those keys work. Woo!

Happy birthday! The last key was probably lurked.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

hito posted:

My pitch is Blasted Waste, a roguelike set in a near future where gene manipulation has been perfected, science looks like magic, and life really sucks if you're not part of the 1% who can afford all of that gene manipulation and magic.

Your procedurally generated enemies/bosses sound absolutely great! After playing Sil I knew I wanted to see something like that (because of how it does the enemy IDing/documentation).

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

because you can play it for free here: https://archive.org/details/msdos_Crosscountry_Canada_1991

(and also like a zillion other old games)

Mmm, getting a box of cars from the factory. Also having hitch-hikers steal your commodities, and accidents doing less damage to the truck because of wearing a seatbelt that stays on even during trips to hotels/diners.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Did that guy ever write a trip report or anything? I'd love to see any thoughts he felt like recording.

There's an old newsgroup thread. It's a good read.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I really wish those things weren't being made by/for speedrunners.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

I'm slowly proceeding through Invisible Inc. and sort of enjoying the tricky scenarios that emerge, and the opportunities to discover slick ways of getting through them. But I also get the feeling that I'll get to this FTL-like point where the game just starts punishing me for enjoying myself and exploring instead of playing optimally and with Wiki-endowed foreknowledge for the middle and end game.

If you're playing on Experienced, you probably can handle the challenges even when you do things the wrong way at first because you didn't know what was coming. On Expert, it's a bit more likely that you will paint yourself into a corner (if you hadn't yet played it on Experienced).

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

This is up there with Dredmor's "Congratulations! You have died" for wonderful game-end snark. And it's useful!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

zirconmusic posted:

I only like having it there because I think there are people who don't have the means to back a project at a higher tier, but still want to show their support as a backer. No idea if it works or not but I like for people to feel good.

$1 backers can also follow your updates. I got in on a group buy of a board game KS, and threw in the $1 so I can see how it develops/delays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

rt4 posted:

I'm on the edge of my seat for so many Kickstarters right now. Anxiously awaiting news from Tangledeep, Jupiter Hell, that turn-based Mechwarrior, not to mention the still under development Caves Of Qud and Cogmind. Hopefully I can finish Sproggiwood (on normal) before one of them hits 1.0

What's the mechwarrior one?