Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

BIZORT posted:

The most excitement I've ever seen Joe Buck show was on some lovely interview show he had awhile back and one of the episodes was him interviewing Paul Rudd in a limo. I think Buck thought he could parlay his broadcasting into something more substantial like Keith Olbermann maybe but he's so boring at what he does that it must turn everyone in the industry off.

Purely speculation but that's what I've gathered

Joe Buck, Paul Rudd and Jon Hamm have been close friends since before any of them were famous IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Splat posted:

I thought this was a decent way to handle launch criticism:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5wDEuOi7mo

I loving lost it at the fedora line

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Gary Payton on the Fox Sports Live panel basically has no redeeming value.

And shouldn't there be a baseball person on the panel?

They had Gabe Kapler on there last night and he was surprisingly great in that role. Gary Payton is loving terrible though.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

warheadr posted:

Am I remembering wrong or didn't the latest ESPN book have a couple people talking a good bit about what an rear end in a top hat Tirico was toward Kornheiser and really contributed heavily to Tony's stint on MNF not working at all? If Tirico is the one I'm thinking of he really did come across as a non-professional douche in that regard.

Also ESPN is kinda terrible these days but I understand why so many people still like it. Personally I stopped watching SportsCenter and those "debate" shows of theirs a couple months ago and haven't missed it at all. Using ESPN and its considerable resources and still great live event coverage solely to watch games and get the occasional big news tidbits is definitely the way to go, in my opinion.

He basically no-sold everything Tony did and made it awkward as poo poo to get him out of the booth. Simmons was more upset about it than anyone else IIRC.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

The answer to what they should air is always Team Handball. I have no idea when the season actually is but neither does anyone else. Just throw it on whenever you have nothing else. No one is going to know better.

Either that or more replays of World's Strongest Man.

They show Team Handball on beIN Sport if you have that channel. It is as good as you would expect for it to be.

and while we're longing for old ESPN programming, please bring back the Putt Putt Championships

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Also, the Team Handball announcer gets utterly looney. I caught part of a handball game on BeIn once and the announcer seriously wondered aloud how there could be anything more exciting on the face of the earth.

Except for that really old one from the 70's where Lou Ferrigno's leg breaks in multiple places while he's carrying a full-sized fridge on his back. That was :stonk:

there was one from around that time where Geoff Capes' arm snaps during an arm wrestling competition and it's loving nasty

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mob posted:

That definitely happened. It was Zvi Mowshowitz. He was also locked in an NYC gaming store overnight on Christmas Eve one year because he was sorting cords off in a back corner somewhere when they closed for the night.

This is like peak goonery

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

rest assured anything they can possibly do to curb this, they will do.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

So It Goes posted:

I thought Skip Prosser was a Wake Forest BBall coach who died a couple years ago.

You're right

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MaoistBanker posted:

Fox Sports Live is really enjoyable so far, although I have to wonder if the panel segments are going to become untenable since one has to wait sometimes up to 7-9 minutes to see highlights. If they decide that's the case, it's hardly going to be worth paying Andy Roddick the money to sit and chime in once an hour. However, the highlights ARE far superior to SportsCenter. They show everything, whether it be horse racing, UFC, La Liga matches - they even had a goddamned KHL (Russia's NHL run by criminals) fight highlight.

I usually pay attention to Onrait and O'Toole and read during the panel poo poo. The one thing I will say for the panel is that Gabe Kapler is really, really loving good.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

haljordan posted:

Has Olbermann turned down the smugness at all? That's the main reason I stopped paying attention to anything he's been doing over the past few years.

No but I thought it was decently harnessed last night. Smug but in a less douchebag way.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Bomani Jones will have a role on the radio show as well but the release doesn't define what the role will be.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

I saw in the press release he still gets a local Miami hour.

I see Jonathan Coachman is out of a daily gig, come back to WWE Coach :unsmith:

They gave him the day-long Sunday NFL gig on ESPN Radio.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Niwrad posted:

Can someone explain Bomani Jones to me? I know a lot of people like him and I haven't followed him much. I remember looking him up on Twitter one day and I thought his account was fake for a minute. It was him arguing with every person who disagreed with him, then doling out an insult, then bragging about how he owned the guy. It felt like something you'd see a teenager do.

He's a very smart dude who is very aware of how smart he is, so he verges on being an rear end a lot of the time, but it's hard to fault him for it because he's generally correct. He knows how to play the game. Being intelligent is almost a negative in that business, so you have to be a bit of a prick in the process to ensure there's a place for you.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

If you can take Outdoor Life Network, add an uncomfortable amount of cagefighting and hockey until you have to rename it "Versus", and then stick a peacock logo on it and make people suddenly accept it as a serious sports channel then FS1 shouldn't be having much of any problem. People associate the NBA with TNT of all channels, so recognition can be easily had.

Fox News wasn't what it became overnight, either. Give them a bit to begin really leveraging their licenses with NFL, etc. Though I don't know if they're going to be able to pull baseball fans away from MLB Network, I'm under the impression there's not many of those anyway.

the only people who take NBCSN seriously are hockey fans

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Tebow sounds like a scared child when he talks. His phrasing and cadence is just incredibly awkward.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My only complaint about the film room thing was that the lack of enthusiasm kind of made it feel like you weren't actually watching a live game. I watched it a lot in the first three quarters but when things got good I flipped back to ESPN to be able to hear everything.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

Yeah that's true. Maybe instead you cut to like 2 coaches and an analyst during intermissions but that's basically every halftime show so.... I donno. I guess part of the appeal is the presentation, or total lack thereof, really. This didn't feel overly polished, it didn't feel dumbed down, it was great.

I know you want general analysis to be easy enough for casual viewers but there should be a way to work this in there somehow.

Just simulcast the game on ESPNews but have coaches break down plays during each commercial and just have an advertising bar on the bottom or side during the broadcast to offset the commercial losses.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

The problem with Gus Johnson calling soccer is that FOX basically went up to him one day and said, "Hey, we know you've never done soccer before except for like two San Jose Earthquakes games, so you're our #1 soccer play-by-play guy now. Also that's in addition to all the other stuff you're doing for us."

So, you've got him doing a sport he's not terribly familiar with and he's not getting any extra time to familiarize himself with it.

This is his extra time. They don't give a poo poo about right now. They care about him being ready for the 2018 World Cup, which is why he's doing all of this poo poo now.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I would rather listen to Gus Johnson call 10 fights than Mauro Renallo call 1. Mauro is an insufferable piece of poo poo.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

Tim Brando is leaving CBS. This is notable for two reasons: 1) He's terrible, so yay 2) He had a huge role in CBS Sports, being one of the primary anchors for SEC football and March Madness, as well as calling games during the NCAA Tournament.

CBS also has no backup plan now if Verne's heart ever explodes, which isn't unrealistic.

There goes half of CBS Sports Network's weekday content

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I want Beadle & Bomani to be a thing on my television.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

Let's start the NBC Olympic-bashing early. This is a great article on how they're sucking up to Lolo Jones, especially with Lindsey Vonn pulling out. And apparently she was favored to make the bobsled team over someone more qualified:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/66954036/lolo-jones-is-new-olympics-face-for-nbc

That girl's dad is pretty loving hilariously petty. Lauryn Williams made the team and she's got less experience than Lolo Jones, but you don't see her name anywhere in that article because nobody is going to listen to him cry about Lauryn Williams.

I'm sure he's upset for his daughter, but the fact of the matter is that the only real edge Katie Eberling has over Lolo is that she's been doing it longer. Lolo has less track time but she's performed more than adequately in competition, her performance ceiling is surely quite higher given that she's an Olympic sprinter (and a high caliber one at that) and she's bringing dollars to a program that's perpetually in need of funding. People can question the last thing on that list all they want, but it matters if they want to stay competitive.

She's a much better athlete and in a role where you're basically just pushing as hard and as fast as you can, I don't know who wouldn't take a sprinter of Lolo's caliber so long as she's competent in everything else, which she seems to be.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 23, 2014

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Niwrad posted:

I thought the Karolyi method was to pick based on performance over say the year instead of one event. I know the figure skating selections were scrutinized but I don't necessarily think that's a bad path to take. Wagner has a much better resume and is likely a better figure skater than the woman she was selected over. Choosing over one performance as opposed to the culmination of many seems unfair to me. Isn't the US one of the few countries that did it that way?

I don't know how everyone else does it but you're right about the U.S. in those sports. Karolyi knows drat well if he stacked that team with known gymnasts who were washed up, the network wouldn't give a drat how popular they were because they'd stink it up on TV. Success is what drives the TV product, so even if he was trying to kiss the network's rear end, the argument Roberts is making still wouldn't make sense.

People like Selena Roberts just like to sensationalize those decisions when they can and create this false narrative around television because it's not as interesting to say that Wagner is just a better overall skater on average. Roberts has always been a loving awful hack of a writer so this comes as no surprise.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Speaking of that, the Bode Miller interview the other night was nothing short of gross.

"Bode, you won the bronze. Is this for your brother?"
"Well...I..." :unsmith:
"You keep looking to the sky. Are you looking for Chilly in heaven?"
(Progressively more difficulty fighting back tears) "I just wanted t--" :smith:
"Your brother is DEAD, Bode. Dead. D-e-a-d Dead."
:cry:
"....sorry..."

It's almost like there was a producer beating off going "Make him cry. Come on CRYYYYYYYY. YESSSSSSS!"

It was definitely tasteless but a lot of people are blowing it out of proportion IMO, because Miller is notoriously stoic and I don't think there's a soul that has ever covered him that wouldn't have expected him to just give a brief answer and move on. The emotion was totally unexpected.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I think it's mostly that people with decent opinions on sports generally don't seem to listen to sports talk radio, so the ratings are largely driven by the morons who think like Mark Madden.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

This is a bit rich coming from you of all people. You have no decent opinions and you dont listen to sports radio. In fact I think internet nerds in general have the worst sports opinions.

I would venture to guess there's a significantly large overlap in the internet sports chat trolls and sports talk radio callers venn diagram.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It will probably get coverage tonight. Not enough people give a drat about it that they're going to rewrite a rundown for it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

The one thing that still amazes me about ESPN is...when they put their time and effort on something, and don't half rear end it? They do indeed live up to the "World Wide Leader" slogan.

The Megacast, "30 for 30 series", "Outside the lines", and "Olbermann" are all very much worthy of praise.

Sportscenter I kind of view as something that's been half assed in quite a few ways.

It feels like "First Take" was literally a virus that has spread throughout the network.

The problem is that with the exception of a handful of the 30 for 30s, none of that stuff is a draw.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

So Brent Musberger has officially taken a demotion that ESPN has spun brilliantly as "THE #1 ANCHOR OF SEC NETWORK" (which works as long as you pretend SEC Network is going to get any game more important than Arkansas vs Troy or something).

It's been assumed Chris Fowler is Musberger's replacement as ESPN's #1 guy, to be paired with Kirk Herbstreit, but now that we're at the door, we'll see if ESPN gets any last minute ideas. Who would you choose to replace one of the current most iconic voices in sports?

If it's up to me, it's Nessler.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

This is going to come out as a big deal in the tv world. Some think he can replace Costas one day

Richard Sandomir ‏@RichSandomir
Josh Elliott leaving GMA for variety of assignments at NBC Sports

I'm assuming that's precisely why they're signing him. Also, I wonder if this means they're getting in the sports clipshow game finally.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

As someone who watches Chiefs preseason games Trent Green is real bad. Like, confused, concussed, makes no sense bad.

So a slight upgrade probably.

This sounds like Bernie Kosar during Browns preseason games.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Anals of History posted:

If he's on the Elliott plan, I can't imagine he'll remain the host for more than a couple more years. It'll be interesting to see if they start putting in other guys for practice reps or tryouts.

Reali sounds, by all accounts, like a legitimately good guy and I'm glad he's moving up and getting paid. That said, social media correspondence sounds like an utter load of poo poo. No one's turning on the TV at 7AM to find out what's happening on Twitter.

I wouldn't read into the title much. It seems pretty obvious they're "trying him out" to be Elliott's replacement.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

"Let's send it to Goose on 16"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

Cleveland seems like it's still kind of a mess.

Common sense would have been after Fox Sports bought out Sports Time Ohio, that they would have just had moved the Cavs to STO, then have made that the Cleveland-oriented channel.

From there the option to air the Cavs and Tribe should have remained in Colunbus via having that channel (and perhaps claiming that as a split town), and then to either have Cleveland get it's Hockey from Root Sports Pittsburgh, and/or the Cincy/Columbus-oriented FSNOhio.

But it appears there's still three version of "Fox Sports" in Ohio. Which is really one too many.

I kind of wonder if it's due to three baseball teams kind of being exclusive to their respective regions and causing the problem.

My understanding was that there's intention for STO to be the Cleveland Fox Sports channel but the current Cavs TV deal has to expire first. My former roommate interned at STO for a few years and says that's what he was told. Makes sense to me but who knows how true it is.

In Columbus, we have a Fox Sports Alternate HD channel that only shows stuff when any two of the Reds, Jackets, Cavs are playing at the same time. On regular cable, they take the Time Warner preview channel and just air the other game on there so people can see it.

We get loving hosed on the Pirates though. We're in the Pirates blackout area but nobody offers ROOT, so there's literally no legal way whatsoever to watch the Pittsburgh Pirates in Columbus unless they're on national television or playing Cincy/Cleveland. Even if you have ROOT through satellite, they black out Pirates games.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Up here between Weirton/Steubenville and Wheeling we get all the Pittsburgh channels but while Root Sports and PCNC are in the actual cable listings, all the network stations are back in the 190s and 200s. Odd considering for years you could pick up Steubenville's WTOV-9 in Pittsburgh on channel 9.

Huntington is really weird too. Maybe it was just the hotel we stayed at, but we got Root Sports but not Cincy or Columbus, which it's closer to.

My parents live in Parkersburg and they get Root but FSOhio. Although they have a channel that only airs the feed during Reds games for whatever reason.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2014/05/16/ken-carman-to-the-national-media-stop-complaining/

Normally I'd say "Sports Talk Radio sucks", but Ken Carman is quite good on this rant.

This owns so hard

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

Can I be real here?

I'm watching the NBA Finals (mainly so I can have something to talk about with a friendly co-worker tomorrow), and am I incorrect for feeling that Breen/Van Gundy/Jackson are, well, terrible?

I feel sometimes it wanders into Sports Talk Radio-level type of in-game discussion, and it gets rather aggravating.

Am I incorrect on not really finding them very good?

Mark Jackson is loving horrible. I thought the other two were really good without him

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Most of what people hate on Breen for is the result of him being saddled with poo poo partners and having to play off of their crap because he's professional about his job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ribsauce posted:

Too bad their web design team must be on a 3 year acid trip. How a major corporation can have such a horrible looking website I will never know. I can't even read sports.yahoo.com anymore

in that case, do yourself a favor and don't visit SI.com anymore