Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
From what little I saw of the Coaches it seemed real solid, guys who have an active role in the game and have some clue what they're talking about. I feel like it could have used an NFL guy in there to maybe let us know who we should be keeping an eye on that aren't skill position players, such as when Auburn #73 (e- Greg Robinson let me pretend I know what I'm talking about)made the block on I think the first Auburn touchdown. Millen is not that person because gently caress Matt Millen.

And if Musburger is retiring than they'll just move Brad Nessler to the A team and pair him with Herbstreit and if you've played NCAA in the past decade you won't notice a thing. Nessler's real solid and everything will be fine. I wonder who would become the #2 then, move Davis into that role and away from May/Holtzzzzzzzz?

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

leokitty posted:

Selena Roberts thinks the Karolyis pick their gymnasts based on how they'll play in the media???

Because if there's one thing the old Iron Curtain was known for it was PR skills.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

As long as we acknowledge that Musburger would have shotguned it or somehow produced a beer bong from under the desk.

Nah, Musburger wouldn't have caught a light beer, not with a bourbon in one hand and a mint julep in the other.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

What? This kind of crap is one of the reasons everyone hates him

http://deadspin.com/list-every-synonym-for-pass-that-rifled-out-of-doc-e-513664662

That kind of crap is why Doc is the best PXP man in the business right now. Any moron can say "passes and shoots" a billion times. We got a lotta words to describe actions and Doc uses them to great effect.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

A lot of this is just the nature of the sport though.

True that. I get some of the complaints that Doc calls the game more like a radio announcer vs. a tv announcer in terms of letting the images tell the story, but hockey can be tough to follow (glowing puck anyone?) and casual American audiences still aren't going to be as familiar with the rules and intricacies vs. the other major sports.

Doc's the best, if only because Vin Scully has ascended into a higher being.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Benne posted:

The CBS/Turner March Madness relationship is a godsend. By far the best thing going on in sports broadcasting right now.

Well, it will be once they fire Doug Gottlieb into the sun. Other than that, it's nearly flawless.

And bring Gus back. If Raftery can work the tournament as a Fox hire so should Gus. :colbert:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Josh Elliott is twice the man that Bob Costas is.

No, like literally twice the man Josh is really big.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

commy gun posted:

I don't know why they don't have Tirico and Brown calling these games. Breen is pretty good and Van Gundy is alright but I think the former work better and, yes, Mark Jackson is awful.

I'd imagine a big reason against Hubie, and certainly Walton, doing playoff games is the travel. It's one thing to get a series where both teams are reasonably close but that's out the windows in the Finals. The NBA went 2-3-2 in the Finals because the travel between Boston and LA was a nightmare back in the 80s.

Side note, would anyone be interested in a Sports Media sheep game? I'm thinking 20 questions, 5 general, 5 written word, 5 spoken word, and 5 :wtc:. If I could get the program that makes organizing the answers easier I'd do it.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Sports Media Sheep Game is now open. You should come play! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643521

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Maybe next time they can give him an actual game to call.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Benne posted:

He's got Vikings-Bills next week so nope!

Not anymore! Tim Brando's calling that game now and Goldberg will go back to trying to shout over Joe Rogan. There goes the dream Goldy.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

ESPN stole the basic premise behind Tosh.0's Web Redemption and made it into their own segment, called Awesome Video.

Tosh was not happy and obliterated The Worldwide Leader accordingly:
http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/tosh-0-shreds-espn-stealing-web-redemption-series.html

:killdozer:

Daniel Tosh's comedy is the equivalent to a stopped clock being right twice a day.

Unfortunately the clock just hit the Kiffin's Krimson Korner sketch and therefore this is trash.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DJExile posted:

"Enjoy your show. Enjoy your life. Because it will be over one day, and nobody will care."

Holy poo poo :thurman:

That's an :iceburn: ender if I've heard one. :boom:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Benne posted:

They have natural chemistry and are more or less being themselves, instead of playing caricatures and spewing #hottakes

That and EJ's really underrated. He's great at knowing when to lead and prod them along and when they'll carry a discussion themselves. Gonna be a sad day when Charles retires though.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Mornacale posted:

ESPN can never regain my favor until they put Worlds Strongest Man back on all the time on ESPN2

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

No one would admit in the 'Those Guys Have All The Fun' book about the history of ESPN that the NFL killed that show, but they kind of implied it.

ESPN's not the network for that. Put it on like HBO/Showtime, set it in the SEC, and go crazy.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

Summerall was even more boring and emotionless than Joe Buck, but no one noticed because he was paired with Madden. I never remember him getting even remotely excited about anything that happened in front of him. He sounded like he was calling loving golf (which he actually did!). If internet sports criticism had been a thing back then and he'd been paired with someone as bland as Troy Aikman and he'd get a lot of the same criticism Buck does now. There is a lot of nostalgia clouding people's memory of him.

leokitty posted:

Pairings are important, though. Michael Kay is almost tolerable when Singleton and/or Cone are around and completely trash garbage awful otherwise. Part of why Buck is so bad with baseball is he gets paired with people who flat out loving suck.

e: You can see this in the ESPN sunday night baseball booth too, with how Kruk transforms everyone into awful and Kruk+Schilling somehow makes that even worse

Exactly. Summerall's blandness worked well with Madden's bluster. You need a balance and their's worked because you could tell they liked each other and they liked the game and what they were doing. Combining bland with bland kills the emotion of the game, and if you put two guys together who get too excited it runs the risk of turning into a parody of itself. Imagine Gus and Vitale together and not cringe. But when you get the right balance and chemistry it's great.

Summerall and Madden are one of the best sportscasting duos, with Patrick/Olbermann, Verne/Raft, and Gorilla/Heenan.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
The ESPY's discussion thread having no replies is perfect let's keep it that way.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Groucho Marxist posted:

Can anyone come up with a good restaurant analogy for what Colin is going through?

Head chef at Chili's is getting all full of himself and going to work at Applebee's.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Metapod posted:

Let Papi be the face of ESPN imo

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

CJK5H came around well before his political stuff or the Leach thing, I think it's safe to say he wasn't very well liked.

e: Oops maybe it started with Leach. I could have sworn it was older than that.

Well yeah he may or may not have killed five hookers when he was an undergrad at SMU.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
If they were going by their usual MO the Boston FO would have buried Orsillo through the press and traded him to the Dodgers at the deadline.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

This needs to be in State of the Union address. Hell, make it the national anthem.

On his way out of office Obama declares that God Bless America is now replaced with Roundball Rock. Republicans poo poo themselves in anger.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

He would show up the next day with unexplained bruises

He wouldn't show up the next day and Steve Smith would be sitting in his chair and when asked where Stephen A. was Steve would just say "Who?"

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I'd take Beth Mowins over Mike Patrick every day of the week. poo poo I'd take Pam Ward over Mike Patrick. gently caress, I'd take Larry Munson right now over Mike Patrick.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
ESPN's a bit of an outlier because overpaying for MNF allows them to produce all of the other hours of NFL-related programming that they have. Not having a deal with a sports league severely limits the amount of access you have to the league and it's multimedia, that was brought up as to why ESPN doesn't run NHL2Nite anymore. If they didn't overpay for the NFL, that eliminates hours of weekly programming, three hours of Sunday programming, and keeps them out of the game of the biggest sports league in the country, and for a 24-hour sports network that's simply not acceptable.

NBC or CBS could survive without the NFL, FOX not really because of FS1. But an ESPN that can't run thousands of hours of NFL-related programming, be it dedicated programming or related stories, is an ESPN that's a hurting unit.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

They don't fully own it and the Big Ten probably wants it to be separate thing.

I don't think BTN is available nationwide, either. Someone out west would have to c/d that.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Timby posted:

Believe it or not, he's been with the network since he was 24 (I believe he's something like employee #3). In addition to being one of the few Republicans at the network, he lives an extremely clean life, which is probably a huge factor in how he still has his babyface at his age.

tbf extremely clean life by ESPN's early standards was only a three-digit blow budget and only sexually harassing two or less colleagues a week, but yeah. He's one of the good ones.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I wonder if the whole set-redesign was a response to FS1 and feeling they needed a new look to keep eyeballs (considering no one watches FS1 either they've succeeded or overreacted).

There's also the idea that the set is more important than the people who work on it, but this thread doesn't need to go full DnD again.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
1/1/17 is a Sunday and no one's suicidal enough to go up against the NFL, so don't go making NYE plans again.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Robnoxious posted:

Continued cord cutting from millennials made drat sure ESPN's viewing numbers would go into the toilet. Not to mention, that same age bracket is jet set on going out to party and get some New Year's strange on their hanglow. It was always a recipe for failure but I'm just a schmuck with only two eyeholes and not some highly paid executive who ultimately green-lit this clusterfuck.

Should have thrown ABC a bone or two, guys. Your loss.

ESPN no longer has the de-facto clout it thinks it has to broadcast all of the big bowl games and is a concrete reason why the Superbowl will be on broadcast television for many MANY years to come.

No bullshit, I think there's Congressional legislation that said the Super Bowl was an "event of public interest" and therefore had to be on network tv or something like that.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

skaboomizzy posted:

I used to write up a hypothetical 16-team playoff at the end of each regular season during the BCS era. Round of 16 games at home fields of higher seeds, quarterfinals rotating among the Cotton / Peach / Outback tier of bowls, semis and final rotating among the Big Four (Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Orange). It included the champs from smaller conferences, so the Sun Belt would probably make more money from their champ getting trounced at Clemson on national TV than they would from whatever filler bowl their champ is tied into now.

I did a hypothetical 128-team tournament last year (Bama won because god is dead). If I get bored at work this spring I may do this year's (Bama will win because god is dead).

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
The only one really propping up the '72 Dolphins is Mercury Morris anyway, the rest of the team has probably forgotten about it due to CTE.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Woah nellie

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Ribsauce posted:

I'm not done listening yet but I thought the most interesting part was the NFL offered ABC/ESPN Sunday Night Football and Monday Night Football for only 1.5 billion (only 400 million more than they paid for MNF) but ABC basically was like "nah, Desperate Housewives is a hit, we're cool." They must have had the moron patrol in full effect not to grab that deal instantly, put SNF on ESPN and MNF on ABC. SNF on ESPN would be perfect. They could start highlight shows and analysis right at 7 and roll straight into the game.

I'm glad it never happened though because Sunday Night Football is miles ahead of any other broadcast in quality.

ESPN SNF and ABC MNF was how it ran for years. SNF had possibly the worst broadcast crew in history (Mike Patrick/Paul McGuire/Joe Theismann) and it was a blessing when their run ended.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Tirico's good. The main criticism against him is that he shouldn't be in that position due to the sexual harassment stuff he did several decades ago, and that depends on how far on the "never forgive never forget" tumblr scale you go.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Benne posted:

Jon Miller has always been great. There's a reason Joe Morgan got an entire website named after him.

Miller/Dave Fleming is a reason to listen to SF Giants radio.

Morgan isn't.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I'm annoyed that ESPN fades the score bar in and out during plays on MNF and it's like #85,313,495,105 on the list of things to be annoyed about but dammit I am.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

Play games in the dark with light up jerseys and footballs.

Baylor's halfway there with their basketball unis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

It really was. There was a five minute segment of Barkley fumbling with a touch screen as he more or less explained that he doesn't watch college basketball, and he picked the higher seed in every single game. In the time it took to get through that, we historically would've been on to the third region. This was the entire segment after the first region was revealed.

Charles vs. Technology while Ernie/Kenny/Shaq taunt him should be an hour show by itself.