Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That driver didn't just side-swipe the goon. He/she drove right into that car like it wasn't there. IANAC but that does seem to suggest impairment and I wouldn't want that person going any further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Well I hope that driver learned something about stopping distances in vehicles other than a sub-compact.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Yeah I'm pretty sure I would have kept driving, too.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

nm posted:

You also shouldn't run across a full freeway after an accident either, particularly at night.

True story. When I was a kid, a neighbor of mine got into a wreck that he easily survived. However, in a daze he got out of the car and started wandering away from it. He got hit by another car and that was it for him.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/06/10/national/bus-car-crash-kills-one-injures-45-aichi/

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

There is literally zero reason to have GPS on a dash cam.

There's no reason on earth to have WiFi-enabled light bulbs, either - but here we are.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

spog posted:

Not to victim blame too much, but that guy was practically invisible.

This.

I would not ride that shoulder in the daytime. Doing it at night with no/a bad light is asking to get hit in a hurry. What the gently caress.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've been bike-commuting for seven years now in the Pacific Northwest, about ~30k miles in that time. I can't speak for other US regions, but here it's generally not a great idea to ride on roads even if they have dedicated bike lanes. Drivers will right-hook, pass way too close, honk, scream, throw poo poo, or plain not see you at all. Granted, it doesn't happen very often but it was enough for my sensitive soul I guess. I now avoid riding on roads as much as I can and take advantage of bike or multi-use paths, even if that means a longer commute (that's actually a benefit).
When I do have to be on roads, I choose very quiet back roads - though I've been nearly mowed down by an old lady mistaking her gas pedal for the brake. But when I do have to ride on bigger roads, I take enough of the lane to force passing vehicles into the left lane and so I have emergency space to move into.

Just my experiences.

PS: Agricultural truck drivers are the biggest dicks, no contest.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
A new DCA compilation is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3N6IAWl3wo

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Fats posted:

(thanks, dedicated bike paths!).

Weirdly enough, around here there still are a lot of pedestrians that manage to wander all over those, completely unawares - despite the fact that there is another path parallel to the one they're on, but with more pedestrians. The giant painted signs on the path surface might give it away, but so far I have never seen anyone care.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Craptacular posted:

Most dashcams seem to have GPS capabilities for displaying the lat/long. Why would they not just grab the time from the GPS signal to update the clock?

Any GPS device that decodes position also inherently decodes time. The dashcam disciplines its local oscillator to the GPS-decoded time and gives it a correction whenever needed.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

qsvui posted:

Couldn't you just remove the audio from the video file before handing it to whoever?

I imagine any crafty attorney would immediately question why you'd do that.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Some people are idiots, some people are dicks, some people have dashcams. There is a large overlap and you mainly see the self-reporting ones on YouTube who think they're showing you how bad other drivers are.

Like that insane British guy.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Sagebrush posted:

Does that also mean that if you turn it on while cruising at 75mph, and it slows down to 35mph for heavy traffic, that when you disable it to take manual control it'll floor it back up to 75 and ram the car in front?

Brand impact with disruptive technology.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
haha the absolute madman he did it

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've seen people at the gym face timing loudly while working out

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
This is the poo poo I chuckle at in every dash cam compilation.

Was it worth it?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Nitrox posted:

I wasn't really paying attention to him, and didn't notice

oh ok

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It'd be pretty cool if police enforced this poo poo but I guess they got minorities to murder and plant evidence on instead.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

STR posted:

cop stuff

Yo that is extremely hosed up and nobody should have to put up with that poo poo.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

STR posted:

The camera doesn't show up as a USB device if I plug it into the PC, it's strictly power via USB.

Is that a confirmed camera feature?
You might be using a USB cable that's for charging only.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

wolrah posted:

Dunno about you, but I know a number of people whose solution to their car making a bad noise is to turn up the radio.

Whereas I turn the radio down and yell at my passengers to shut the gently caress up.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Takes No Damage posted:

One of the main This Is Not OK things with the auto shutoff seems to be that while the engine is off, everything is running off the battery. When my parents were buying the Passport, the warranty guy at the dealership tried to tell my dad that if they're in heavy traffic in the summertime (in Texas) and they didn't turn the AC off and burned up the battery, that it wouldn't be covered by the warranty. That would have been a dealbreaker for me, but pops thinks he'll be able to win that argument if it ever comes up.

That's....not really a thing, I believe?
In the few cars with auto-shutoff I've driven, certain conditions have to be met before the engine shuts off - i.e. it can't be below freezing, the engine has to be warm, the battery voltage has to be at a certain level, and other things.
My Jeep keeps the AC running but if you sit there for more than a couple minutes without the engine going, it will eventually automatically restart. If the AC is set to max, the engine will not shut off at all.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 27, 2020

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Takes No Damage posted:

AC trickery is annoying, but my main concern would be something like waiting to make an unprotected left turn and having the delay to get rolling cause issues if you're trying to make a tight gap. Sure in a perfect world you wouldn't ever have to cut it that close, but I think some roads and intersections were designed with active malice...

Eh, there is no delay in my Wrangler. My foot isn't even touching the gas pedal yet before the engine is already restarted. (Remember, the restart trigger is letting go of the brake - not pressing on the gas.)

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Nitrox posted:

I'd like to inform everyone, that if you are in the bind and need to have a camera in the window even if temporarily, you can use your smartphone. Search your neighborhood app store for "dash cam app". They allow you to record on your phone's rear, or dual cameras while the screen is off. All you need to do is mount it and have it plugged in. The app I used, ask me how much space I wish to allocate to this video footage, and I chose about 2 hours worth. Great for a rental car use.

This is good info, thanks!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
he looks and behaves 100% as I expected from the long leadup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Yeah but right of way :downs: