Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

weekly font posted:

She's like the Oscars' New England Patriots except not undeniably evil.

101 Dalmations is a documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

axleblaze posted:

That was Glenn Close.

gently caress.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit is a failure because the audience was old. Also it didn't make much money.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/jack-ryan-franchise-snub-younger-moviegoers-050000807.html

This doesn't seem that surprising. Who under the age of 30 gives a poo poo about Tom Clancy?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

Some movie called Stretch (directed by Joe Carnahan) was going to be released in March, but has now been dumped. It's budget was only $5 million and the studio is "exploring creative options"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/universal-drops-patrick-wilson-movie-673093

Joe Carnahan can't catch a break.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That is one radical raccoon

Between this and Guardians of the Galaxy, I expect raccoon-based blockbusters to dominate for the next decade.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I've run through that FD3 feature before, and the changes are pretty light. You can kill everyone and end the movie right away, though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

DStecks posted:

Highlander wouldn't need to be R-rated though, it mostly got that for the sex; and sex in movies is out of style anyway.

And I know I keep yammering on about being able to do Highlander on a low budget, but you raise a good point: Hollywood isn't very interested in anything but tentpoles. Nobody wants just a piece of the pie, they want the whole drat thing or they don't want any at all. Elysium underperformed because instead of letting Neil Blomkamp make another low-key sci-fi movie, and letting it turn a tidy little profit, the studios threw money at him trying to wring out a blockbuster.

Poor Neil!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Werner Herzog is apparently doing a movie with Mike Tyson, Pamela Anderson and Russell Brand.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Monkeyseesaw posted:

It would have been interesting if the movie actually addressed paleontology possibly being rendered obsolete vs. how much can we trust these genetic monsters are accurate stand-ins for long-extinct animals.

This seems less interesting than dinosaurs smashing things.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's a Dracula 2000 SEQUEL??

Two of them.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

greatn posted:

I'm pretty sure Bizarro isn't a Dracula.

Superman isn't a Dracula, so it would make sense that Bizarro is.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

wyoming posted:

That'a actually exactly why I think this film will be trash. Doh ho, aren't our heroes a bunch of cads, ho ha, look at Pratt mug. It looks cynical as poo poo, and like Tars Tarkas said, doen't actually look fun, it's just jokes.

I mentioned Scott Pilgrim before because I imagine it going over the same way, small group of nerds going apeshit about it, but it alienating audiences at large.

I kind of understand what you're getting at, but complaining about a movie having jokes seems more cynical than what I just watched.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

A. I'll be surprised if this actually comes out.

B. Dwight Howard is almost definitely going to be in the Charles Barkley role, which is terrible. Just terrible.

FlamingLiberal posted:

You're just going to drop that grenade and walk away with nothing else?

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/lebron-james-space-jam-sequel-dick-ebersol/

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

FishBulb posted:

Everyone wants sequels to everything they like. Our opinions must be backed up by massive media franshization. The larger the franchise the more correct our adulation of the individual elements is, and our enjoyment of it is more justified. Give me more of exactly what I liked but different. I need to consume it all until it bores me and I move on to the next one.

In the Godzilla thread, I've seen more people say "I hope this makes money" than "I hope this is a good movie."

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

That's because I'm fairly certain it will be a good movie. I'm less certain that people will go see it.

Does it matter if people see it?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Cacator posted:

I'm curious as to why people are so hostile to it. I thought it was very well made (and definitely deserved its editing Oscar) considering the source material.

Well, like you point out, it suffers from all of the flaws of its source material. It's beautiful and well-acted, but it's still kind of a mush of cliches.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah, it did better than the first on a pretty small budget.

It's kind of crazy he was able to put out both movies for around 6.5M.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

Total or each? Either way, that's pretty impressive. The first one before they enter the dreamworld at least is my favorite horror film of the last 10 years. Is the second one worth picking up? I've heard some mixed reviews

Total, at least according to Box Office Mojo. The first one for 1.5M, the second for 5M. The usual caveats apply when using those numbers, but it's still really impressive.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

Are the Insidious movies worth watching if you don't generally like horror movies?

What turns you off about horror? They're fun haunted-house movies, without much gore or violence.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

More to your question, Patrick Wilson and Rose Byrne are solid in the lead roles and the plot doesn't get lost up its own rear end like some other Wan movies.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

raditts posted:

My local news has a segment about Mark Burnett's Bible TV series repackaged as a movie, and had a clip with him talking about it was "the most talked about TV show of 2013." Is there even like a sliver of truth to that, because the only thing I really remember hearing about it is how they made Satan look like Obama.

It had more viewers than the Breaking Bad finale, so probably.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

Laffo

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2821314/

The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Looks like we're getting Cars 3 and The Incredibles 2. I'm actually looking forward to the Incredibles sequel — it's the only Pixar movie that I thought really asked for a follow-up, and Brad Bird will at least be writing it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

raditts posted:

I find this part more interesting:

What??

It basically looks like Denzel doing Man on Fire 2.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

But this time he's upgraded to Antoine Fuqua.

Tony Scott >

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

interestingly, one of the Divergent stars said something to the effect of "We should start having gay action stars soon". Which is totally true.

His name is Vin Diesel

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I like that there's zero attempt to modernize anything about the Rascals. It's like they just fell out of a time warp.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I doubt it'll be as good as the 90's Rascals movie, which is perfectly cast. This looks like Hallmark Channel horseshit, the best thing about Our Gang/Little Rascals was that they were all a bunch of fuckers. 0/10, I don't buy any of this so called mischief.

Oh yeah, it looks like dogshit. I just imagine an earnest producer worried about violating canon and pissing off the die-hard fans expecting Depression-era catchphrases and japes.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

raditts posted:

Exactly, I hope it's not so much a "reboot" as it is just inserting new chapters between Raiders Indy and Young Indy.

Chloe Moretz would make a good Marion, but she's probably too old at this point.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

hemophilia posted:

I would love to see tornadoes depicted properly, for once, ever, in any movie.

That sounds like a boring movie.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

penismightier posted:

Super 8 would have been as good as ET if it didn't have an alien at all, and was just about those kids trying to make a monster movie.

This is exactly how I feel about it. I've watched it a few times since then, really enjoyed it, and turned it off with about 20-30 minutes to go.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

If you want to use boring numbers, kids liked Super 8 significantly better than the gen pop:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Ave Azaria posted:

I can't even remember what the alien looked like, I think my memory said "I'm not wasting synapses on this poo poo, you can just bunk with the bug from the end of Men In Black"

We can all agree Attack the Block was much more entertaining, right?

I didn't really care for Attack the Block, other than the cool monster designs.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

quote:

ast-forward to 2012, when a new announcement revealed that New Line Cinema had hired Scott Zabielski to direct the remake.

Who's Scott Zabielski? Well, one thing he will be doing is making his feature directorial debut with this project, after directing episodes of hit Comedy Central show Tosh.0.

Can't wait.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah that's a good summing up of that scene. And it manages to be both poignant and funny at the same time, a really hard note to hit that Raimi hits just over and over again in that movie.

The Chabon screenplay is an interesting read if you can track it down. A lot of that tone is there on the page.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah Chabon's tone as a script doctor is easy to spot (see also: John Carter) and I definitely think that's at least part of why Spider Man 2 is the best Spider Man movie.

Are the Russian daughter parts in his draft? I've always thought those felt like one of his contributions.

Suprisingly not. I always liked that part.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Nah that's all part 2.

She's in 3 as well. Peter takes advantage of her cookies during his rear end in a top hat phase.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

Pete's Dragon the reboot possibly has a director: David Lowery of Ain't Them Bodies Saints (2013) fame.

http://www.thewrap.com/david-lowery-talks-add-directing-duties-disneys-petes-dragon-exclusive/

Now here's a guy that really looks like he could connect with children:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Barudak posted:

If Bill and Ted lack free will as per the assumptions laid out in Excellent Adventure and God exists and God is established in Bogus Journey to have made/know everthing.

quote:

Bill: So-crates - "The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing".

Ted: That's us, dude.

Bill and Ted > God

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Donner's been saying that for years.

• Locked thread