Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I'm surprised no one's just gone ahead and :darksouls: yet.

Spent the last several days reading through this thread, and I'm hooked. I'm not a Civ player, but I appreciate how fairly accessable it seems to be for the viewer regardless, and the first MSF run was pure Kojima gold. I'm also seriously considering going and watching Madoka thanks to you jerks, despite having sworn myself not to watch anything grimdark ever again. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I thought it was the Ukraine.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
So, the third incarnation is when it gets full Kojima?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I'm not sure if I should expect lions because it's a Ceasar or a giant centurion-like Metal Gear because Kojima.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
And his throne is the cockpit, because Ceasar.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Patter Song posted:

Strengths:

Brilliant tactician
Willingness to resort to extremely unorthodox strategies
Willingness to break any societal taboo (up to and including fratricide and mass murder of holy men)
Ability to spot talent, eager to recruit anyone from the lowest to the highest without contempt for their origins
Amazing charisma, inspirational leader, able to make soldiers willing to confront situations where they're outnumbered 5-1.

Were we talking about Nobunaga or BB just now?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I KNEW he wasn't gonna kill Nobunaga. Now to sit back and wait for Kaz to completely squee like a fangirl over him.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Speedball posted:

Whatever we want! Shamans in an alpine lodge murder mystery, a quest to find a unicorn to save a poisoned well, a paranormal investigator who gets psychic powers and fights superintelligent apes and ghosts, violent ninja death feuds, a guy with a solar-powered sword fighting racist caricatures, a wizard with a witch girlfriend who battles giant ants, you name it! No idea is too stupid or outlandish!

I used to read those books as a kid. I specifically remember Horn of the Unicorn.

Also, calling it now, Vlad goes full on Dracula and Snake needs to take him out with the Vampire Killer.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Notacon seems to be an acceptable nickname given the Peace Walker LP.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Not just the ones in Ocelot's evil base, but the virus then continued up the food chain until it ate all of them. Sunny more or less killed the Patriots herself.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
My understanding of it was that Ocelot's plan from the start was to get BB out of cryo, and whether he did it himself as "Liquid" taking over the System or Snake did it by shutting the whole thing down didn't matter. Either way, the Patriots go down and BB gets out.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

E-Tank posted:

Oh you mean the exact same ending of Metal Gear Solid 3?

Which was pretty much what set the entire rest of the series into motion as a bonus?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

E-Tank posted:

And basically implies that nothing ever changes, why bother even trying.

Edit: Though you might be one of those people who like bad endings and grimdark to the max so I dunno. Either way I feel that the 'Oh its all so pointless' is too loving depressing. We have enough of that in real life, should we really have it pervading our stories meant to distract ourselves from our lovely, lovely lives?

I'm not, gently caress that poo poo. I'm glad they shot it down. I personally enjoyed the feeling that fifty years of hatred and enmity could actually come to an end.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Inna Gadda da Vida.

All seriousness, probably just one of the standard MGS boss themes would work.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

grandalt posted:

Well, if it isn't Maria, who is it?

She's a Snatcher. That part about the "snow" was a full scale reference to the SNOW-9 pollen. I find myself equal parts :allears: and :suspense: to see this fight now.

Derek Barona fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 17, 2014

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Vicevirtuoso posted:

PACHACUTI! Show yourself!

A single light illuminates the dark hallway. The shaded form of the Incan monarch stands with both hands behind his back.

Snake. You are one of the most peculiar Pachacuti I have ever met. But that is a great thing. I have a most peculiar way of settling our differences which I have always wanted to try. That arrogant Babylonian bastard refused to indulge me in this means of combat...but perhaps you will.

What the hell are you going on about?!

Suddenly, the single light is joined by a multitude of colored, strobing lights, all from a structure placed in the center of the room. A large, bright screen flashes vibrant colors while its speakers blare out fast-paced music. In front of those speakers and that screen lied a platform on which Pachacuti stood, with two distinct halves. Each half contained four panels, each with an arrow pointing in a different direction.

Snake...let's dance.

Dance!

Or DIE!

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

ManxomeBromide posted:

The flipside of that is that while the audience is hostile, it's also there for the show; I mostly lurk but even from that it's really clear that hecklers are held in even lower esteem than people who should have done a few rounds of refinement first.

Well, no one likes a dick. Constructive criticsm is one thing, and obviously SA's entire system encourages and outright demands it, but no matter who says it, a "lol ur post sukx" style response with absolutely no attempt at QA is garbage, plain and simple.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I don't know which is better, the fact that that pretty much perfectly covers how fighting a Snatcher should work without the original gameplay mechanics getting in your way, the fact that yes, it makes absolute goddamn perfect sense even without the obvious tie-in that the Metal Gear research could produce the bastards, or the fact Random got a cameo.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

John Liver posted:

Gillian Seed would make a pretty terrible economic advisor...

But he'd have this odd sense of kinship with BB, what with them both being Kojima protagonists and all. Just think of the possibilities if they were to sit down and compare batshit plot twists together. :allears:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

TravelLog posted:

Uhhhh…what just happened?

Snake woke up from the Matrix.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
You guys are all forgetting Windmill Gundam.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Ah, my bad. For some reason it never clicked that it was Nether Gundam.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Not that I hate Keifer, but I still can't imagine BB without David's voice. Even during that trailer, I was still sort of filtering his lines through my brain into how Hayter would've delivered it.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Speedball posted:

I am fultoning marble statues! AHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!

Your art is MINE! …oh, wait, this is my city. Uh…MY art is MINE!

Never change, Nobunaga. Never change.

Speedball posted:

I have just fultoned American poet Robert Frost.

...Please change, Frank. Please change soon.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Speedball posted:

Pyroi posted:

"90% of my life are Video Games. The rest is up to you."

-Speedball

gently caress.

This is not even a joke.

Speedball

Combat: D
R&D: A
Cooking: E
Medical: E
Intel: S+++

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
This is it. This is truly the best. :allears::allears::allears:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Cultural. Truly, the victory of memes.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

BattleCattle posted:

BigBoss.ai would fit nicely in an Orbital Frame.

ZotE WAS pretty much the only thing missing at this point.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Caros posted:

Someone is forgetting the Vic viper boss fight.

I thought he was doing Gradius with that, not Zone of the Enders.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Speedball posted:

The only thing I have left to cross it over with is Silent Hill.

Oh, MAAAN if Kojima ever gets to direct a Silent Hill game like he said he wanted to. Hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo.

Pyramid Ocelot. That is all.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Dexie posted:

Repeated dialogue?

A minimum 33% of any MGS game's script is cutscenes where something is explained yet again in case you missed it the first three times, or Snake/Raiden hearing a phrase or word and repeating it back quizzically so as to allow the other person to go into further expository detail.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

unwantedplatypus posted:

expository detail?

METAL GEAR?!?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Vicevirtuoso posted:

Your very mention strikes fear into the hearts of men, wrathful Pierce Wa--

...wait, hold the gently caress up. PIERCE is running this show?! Where's the Boss, y'know, the actual leader of the Saints and the one people actually LIKE? ...oh, makes sense. Yeah, Boss has better poo poo to do than sit in an office doing paperwork and bothering with PR.

Okay, let's try this again.

Supposedly noble Pierce Washington, honor would surround your name if anybody actually gave a gently caress about you. The only thing bigger than that sex doll collection of yours is the shadow the Boss casts over every last one of your accomplishments. You're here for one reason, and one reason only: because the Boss would much rather be on the front lines, striking down all who oppose them with giant purple dildos. Still though, you're kinda okay at doing this whole "lead a country" thing, I guess. The Saints find themselves at the dawn of human civilization, and it's up to you -- God forbid -- to build them back into the biggest gang in the world. Can you rebuild the might of th -- are you seriously listening to Milli Vanilli right now?! gently caress it, I'm done here. No, Milli Vanilli is NOT "a'ight." Look, just shut the gently caress up and go build a Civilization that can stand the test of time before I slap that hipster-rear end beret off your head.

I read that in Troy Baker Boss' voice. You nailed it.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

my dad posted:

Enjoy your Cease and Desist, Vicevirtuoso! :v:

.....Quick, Vice! Go make sure your disclaimers are up front and up to date!

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I want to thank you for a wonderful LP, Speedball. I didn't honestly give two craps about Civ V before walking in here, but I caught this LP on the tail end of my own Peace Walker playthrough and it was as amazing and at times utterly batshit crazy yet awesome a narrative as I would expect from a legit MGS game. As one writer to another, I say great job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Epic. Truly epic.

• Locked thread