Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

hailthefish posted:

...Yeah digging a tunnel into a lake isn't a good way to get fish.

But man that is some dwarfy thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'm playing .11 right now and I'm getting some weird behavior around jobs. I have a Broker who is also a high master smelter. Furnace operating is his only enabled skill but the fucker won't operate the furnace. He's just sitting around with no job, while the other guy is operating the other furnace. There's plenty of fuel to go around. I can't figure it out.

Also, I'm occasionally getting the error "Urist cancels smelt limonite ore: No limonite" when there are piles of limonite sitting on the map. I've also gotten the same error from a mason making rock doors.

Also, I assigned a new migrant to start mining and I have extra picks but I think the 3 miners are just trading off between the 2 copper picks I started with, instead of picking of the iron picks I have sitting around. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

I'm planning on installing .13 once this current fort winds down.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I just dig out some space for my Deepforges just above the magma and then create a slave caste of smelters with nearby bedrooms, a dining room, and a food and booze supply. They never leave the Deepforges.

Also, are you colonizing the caves? It's pretty cool to colonize the caves.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Speaking of, is there a good way to get my dwarfs to remove their stupid hats and socks and gloves and put on my helms and high boots and gauntlets?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Well, part of the problem is that it doesn't seem like evil biomes generate evil plants at all reliably. In my test embarks, only about a third or a quarter of them had the plants I was hoping for.

I want NO mountains, though, not lots. Just a green spire jutting from the earth.

A real dwarf would make clear glass.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

This guineacock is completely rotten. He walks around spreading miasma everywhere he goes. He doesn't attack anybody, he just stinks up the joint.

What in the Hell caused that?

Chain it at the entrance of your fort as a warning.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

When I sent my military after some capybara to try and herd them into a line of traps one of them followed the capy into a murky pool and drowned. Nice.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Kennel posted:

:siren: A new DF Talk (the last one was 1.5 years ago)! http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_talk.html

dev page posted:

Upcoming Development

The next major goal is to do some work on job prioritization in fortress mode.

No loving way.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Are you doing it right.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

This...changes everything.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I think this should be a reminder to everyone that it's not a bad idea to give Toady a Christmas present of like five or ten bucks. God bless us, everyone.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

after a while you don't need the menus it's just b-c for a chair, bCw for walls and you don't even think about the lovely UI

loving irritating to learn though. what does get me is that some menus use - and + and some use the arrow keys that's just silly.

I learned Dwarf Fortress over a long weekend when my then girlfriend was out of town. I watched 20 hours of tutorial videos and spent at least 15 hours playing. And it stuck. I'm glad I learned the game in college – there's no way I'd have the time to muscle through all the bullshit now.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I like to use the j-m-q pathway for manager. I don't remember what any of those hotkeys officially represent. I wasn't even sure as to the keystrokes until I pretended I needed to queue up 30 bars of coke.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I decided to gen up a world because I haven't played in a while and taverns sound fun. I did advanced parameters so I would get good caves, but I think I accidentally selected very long history or whatever the term is for 1000 years of world gen. My computer has been working on this for the last 3 hours and so far there have been almost a million and a half historical events. loving dwarf fortress.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've tried hitting enter and escape and it just seems to ignore me and keep on making goblins bite the fingers off of kobolds or whatever. We're at 860 now. I might let it run over night.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

Holy poo poo, it didn't crash? Did Toady rework world gen dramatically, or do you just have access to CERN's best hardware?

e; ^ Joke's on you, you'll get flooded with demands for millions of microcline chickens.

I actually had to just kill it. I thought it was going to stop at 1000 years, but it went to 1001 after over 4 hours. There were almost 1.8 million events, almost 200,000 historical figures, and like 150,000 dead. At that point each additional year was taking around 30 seconds to process.

Now I'm just doing a regular world generation, medium history, but at the point at which it should wrap it up and allow me to accept the world the game becomes unresponsive. And not just for like a minute, I left it for over an hour while I was finishing up other stuff and again I ended up just closing the non-responsive program.

Dwarf Fortress why do you make it so hard to love you :(

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I don't know all the specs actually. Whatever the default is for generating a world with advanced parameters. I think I tried to cancel it first around year 700 and it straight up ignored my button press. Dwarf Fortress feels more like a complicated relationship than a video game.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've been enjoying my game, designing a sweet entrance to my fort, doing pretty well. No fuel ores yet, but lots and lots of trees, so I was ready to start on smelting. And then a fire started in the corner of the map. I sent my woodcutter out to cut a firebreak, which succeeded, but one of the collapsing trees fell on him and he burned to death. In the middle of the wildfire, migrants arrive. This game is ridiculous.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Dilkington posted:

I haven't played DF since v0.40.19.

How is everyone enjoying 0.42.05? Do things seem stable? Is it safe to start generating some big worlds?

It's good! Stable as DF ever is, might as well start playing.

Kitfox88 posted:

I regularly generate max size worlds with max embark sites and whatnot. Although I have yet to do it beyond SHORT time length.

edit: How fast do all of you usually burrow for the caverns? I wanna try embarking on a site with no above ground wood but I'm scared of the caves :ohdear:

The most fun game I ever played I did 4 dwarfs skilled and outfitted as soldiers, 1 farmer, and 2 skill-less miners. Dove straight for the caverns and started carving rooms out of the stalagmites and stuff. Tried to wall off a section of the caverns to be secure. It was a blast.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've got some cabinets in my tavern – why isn't anyone storing goblets in it? Do I just need more goblets? I've got a tavern keeper and an alcohol stockpile in the tavern.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Okay that's good to know. Now another one: I downloaded DF Hack from here, but when I try to run dfhack-run from the folder it opens a screen which then closes immediately and I have no DF Hack. This is while DF is running. What do I need to do to get this to work? I've only ever used it with a nice integrated LNP.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I guess my next question is: what are the right bits, and where do they go.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Real dwarfs go gold road or bust.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

My biggest disappointment re: elaborate murder systems was learning that dwarfs still get afraid of scary stuff even though it's behind a glass wall. I laid out a 4-sided dining room surrounding a large glass-walled central area, with a system of levers to open cages of goblins. There was a crossbow platform above it, and I also had plans to release minotaurs or whatever in there as dining entertainment. The first time I uncaged the goblins for a show it initiated a giant panic throughout my fort and I had to get all my crossbow dwarfs over to kill them all while I was getting spammed with panic messages etc.

Some day I would like to be able to make glass hamster tube systems throughout the fort where I can dump goblins and cheetahs and all that sort of stuff, but I guess I'll just have to wait until fear gets rationalized a bit.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

verbal enema posted:

Having an image of a dwarf eating at a table and you hear a buncha muffled screaming and footsteps claw scratches and he looks up to see a cheetah chasing the goblin through the ceiling tubes

It is my great dream.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Of course Toady will rationalize fear by modeling the endocrine system and every creature will have separate adrenaline and cortisol values.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Alehkhs posted:

From the Toad's own keys.

This is good dwarfwords.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Kennel posted:

An elf poet wrote an essay named "Loz Searchedchampion, my love". It's a story about minotaur Loz Searchedchampion who attacked him when he was a baby.

I want to read "Disgusting Meals."

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh no I've been putting off getting back in DF cause Therapist was broken. This is deeply dangerous.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hihohe posted:

I always like Phoebus since i read about Gemclod. I think I enjoyed Gemclod more than Boatmurdered.

Yeah, I use Phoebus for that reason too. I go back and read Gemclod occasionally. It's fun to remember a time in my life when I was furiously writing song lyrics about video game dwarfs. That was a great fort.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Whether or not tilesets are aesthetically pleasing or efficient at conveying information, when it comes down to it they are decipherable. If you're reading along and have never played DF you can look closely and determine a wall from a floor, a dog from a dwarf, and water from magma. This isn't always possible with ASCII, and I guarantee casual readers aren't going to look up how to interpret the different symbols in order to read an LP.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 12, 2017

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The semiotics of ASCII and tilesets are different. ASCII requires that a reader be capable of strictly substituting one set of information (text characters) for another set of information (objects and creatures laid out on a grid). This is predicated on formal knowledge of a new set of rules for interpreting text characters (i.e. that the capital letter "u" with an umlaut means "a human is present here", rather than being, say, the first letter in a word). Tilesets signal that they are indicating objects and creatures by creating tiny, representative pictures. Given that we are culturally accustomed to understanding abstracted/simplified images (think of cartoons, and also decades of sprite-based video games), tilesets can be interpreted with almost no knowledge of the game. I'm sure that ASCII is a much more efficient way to play, but that's a point of view that is entirely contingent on being someone who plays DF, and especially being someone who plays in ASCII.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

^^That seems quite correct. That said, I'm enjoying arguing about semiotics re: video game dwarfs.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's not more information, that's just your girlfriend not being familiar with the information that ASCII provides.

Yeah but not everyone plays DF, and even though the information level is the same, its accessibility is much greater via tilesets because they use symbols that are widely culturally understood, rather than symbols that are formally defined in a very niche context. The idea that a red dwarf means a child and a white dwarf means a stoneworker is completely unconnected to any shared cultural understanding of those colors. They only have that meaning within the DF context. However, a sprite that looks like a baby looks like a baby, and a little dwarf holding a chisel at least suggests stonecutting or something to someone who hasn't gone through the dozens of hours of training required to be able to play DF.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I don't think Zesty knows what a wishlist is.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

I hope Toady makes hella bank off this release and can live in comfort through the hellscape that is American healthcare.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I have great news for you.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I mentioned it upthread years ago, but cavern forts are loving cool as hell. loving carving bedrooms into columns and stalactites and poo poo.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I can't wait until they finally release on Steam cause I wanna see Toady and his brother get their bag for decades of game development. My dudes deserve to have a good payday and a comfortable lifestyle. It'll also definitely kick me back into playing DF after a few years off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Very few people playing the game these days. Everyone's saying it, very sad. Very sad. This Toady, he had a really great idea at one point, a great idea, and a lot of work behind it. But now, the iron folks. We need the iron. And instead there's gold. You know I love gold, I think it's great to have gold, but the dwarfs want iron, and they don't have it. Very sad. I hope he does well! He's worked very hard and we all love it when you see someone who works, since most people don't want to work these days. Nobody's working, and now there are these union problems. But we have other games, like Rimworld and the like. Much cleaner games, and none of these problems with moats and sieges. The sieges in Rimworld work really well, they work well. We love to see them and beat them, and there's iron. There is iron. And the dwarfs can mine it.