Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

RyokoTK posted:

Darksiders 2.

The Lord of Bones won't talk to you until you prove yourself in the Arena by killing the Champion. Okay, you head to the Arena.

The Champion won't come out to fight you until you find three MacGuffins nearby. Whatever. Find the MacGuffins, kill the Champion, go back to talk to the Lord of Bones.

Well, he'll talk to you, but you can't get what you need until you find and return his three Dread Lords spread around the rest of the realm.

You head out, two of them are straightforward enough, but the third one won't submit until you find three different MacGuffins for him! Like, what the gently caress, this is Padding: The Game. At least the game is mechanically fun as hell, otherwise I would have tossed it a while ago.

Also, once you do bring back the Dread Lords to the dude, he just kills them on the spot anyway. What an rear end in a top hat!

I've never played this game, but that DOES sound like something an evil demonic entity named The Lord of Bones would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Maybe he was ribbing you !!

So humerus!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Doomsayer posted:

If y'all weren't using the different ammo types then you weren't using the .50 HE rounds and ergo were, in fact, playing New Vegas wrong :colbert:

You can very much use pistols and smoke bombs in the middle of combat though? And pistols are also a one-hit kill. Well, maybe the bottom-rung pistols aren't, it's been a while, but I've cleared a number of ships by just emptying my brace of six pistols to make six dead guys in the middle of a fight.

Also boarding doesn't happen when you get their health low, like Pokemon, it happens when you deplete their health entirely. They go into an "on fire" animation thing, at which point you can either board them or finish them off.

Yeah, I have no idea where he was going with those complaints either. None of those things happen.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I remember there being a gem/precious stone quest that you get for grabbing one of the 24(?) in the game. Since the objective is to find them all, and they are distributed all over the game's world I can understand why it wouldn't show me where they may be located, but is it too much to ask to place a red X or something on my map where I have found them? I never completed that quest because I figured I'd just find the gems as I played and by the time I beat the game I still only had about 3 of the things and the only way I was going to complete that quest was with a guide, map and checklist.

As much as I love Skyrim, that quest aggravates the poo poo out of me. Some of the gems are hidden in faction areas, such as the Mage College, Assassin's Guild, etc. I shouldn't have to join evert drat group to complete the quest. I understand how that could happen in real life, but dammit, my 2 handed warrior doesn't wanna join the Mage College!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Dying Light is a pretty fun game so far. My biggest complaint is, and I know this is silly and petty, but, I've gotten back into corners or surrounded a few times by large groups. When I look at the groups, I can see some character models presented over and over. Especially the females. I'm sure this happens in a lot of games, but maybe it's because when I'm surrounded in other games, I can easily get out of it, whereas in this game, you have to have a strategy. For instance, I'm sure in Shadow of Mordor there's plenty of recurring models, I just don't notice because it's easier for me to get away.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Dragon Age:Inquisition. It takes so ungodly long to level up to decent levels that I'll probably never play through another class again. I know I could just pick a companion that's thst class and playbthem, but I wanna play MY guy!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Jastiger posted:

I never did Iron Bull's quest, so I was never able to to get his tarot card to change, whereas I was able to do so for everyone else. I've chatted him up, drank beer with em, killed a few dragons. You know, normal stuff that buds do. But no quest to do whatever it is I'm supposed to do. I literally never once had Cole in my party, nor Blackwall and I was able to do both of theirs. So, I dunno whats going on, must be a bug or something.

Were you mean to Krem, Iron Bull's first officer or whatever? There's one chat option you can click, where you basicslly disparage Krem for being transgendered, and it will absolutely wreck your approval and ability to do personal quests for your teammates.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

kazil posted:

One thing that drives me nuts about MGSV is when you extract a person, regardless of their stats, Miller goes "You're going to extract him?"

Could be A+ in every category, that fucker makes it sound like a chore to have him.

The thing that drives me nuts about extractions is even if I have the enemy drugged, or choked out, or whatever, they still scream out load when they go up.

On the other side, I smile every time I hear an extracted prisoner's jubilant "Whoooaaaa-hoo-hoo-hoooooo!" When they get taken up.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

ShootaBoy posted:

Oh dear god shut the gently caress up.

The thing dragging Witcher 3 down for me is that I'm still in the early game. It feels like a game that I have to sit down and have a long chunk of playtime, not piddly little 1 long bites.

Stick with it. It's an amazing game.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

kazil posted:

Back Up, Back Down is probably the worst mission in the game though.

I stole a vehicle, set up a roadblock on the road north of the Yakho Obo outpost, and all the heavy vehicles just stop to check it out. You can either fulton of destroy them.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Grey Fox posted:

It's funny; I feel very similar about the guys who wig out and bumrush you. They're priority targets, but they're usually surrounded by other guys and tough to target.

I guess the added challenge is ok, but it can be frustrating in the middle of a big combo.

You don't have to lock onto those guys. When you see them charging, or about to, just throw some batarangs. It's like the game prioritizes those guys, and the batarangs hit them first.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Thoughtless posted:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution has some problems.
The extremely stereotypical racial voice acting for everyone who's Chinese is pretty glaring, too.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Action Tortoise posted:

Riddler bullshit are the worst parts of every Arkham game.

I really liked the parts in Asylum and City where a riddle question pops up and you have to take a picture with detective vision solve it.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, weirdly enough when the Riddler is having you solve riddles it's pretty cool.

Yeah, I was pretty aggravated that all the riddles were care races.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

I like those in theory but at least in Asylum they boiled down to "find the unique model/texture in the room."

Yeah, in City it was more "find the thing that relates to the question." I know for the Flying Graysons it was a poster from their circus act, and for Bane it was a travel agency ad for Santa Prisca. I still had fun with them, though.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Cleretic posted:

I always thought Quiet's 'outfit' was a shame, because I genuinely like everything about her character and even design otherwise, she was probably my favorite part of Phantom Pain.

But you just cannot say that you like Quiet and maintain dignity because of how it looks when you say it.

The only reason I chose D-Dog for the majority of my missions over Quiet was the incessant humming. Otherwise, I liked have a flawless sniper with superpowers along for the ride.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

A White Guy posted:

The Witcher, the 3rd: Aside from Roach's (your horse taxi) atrocious spawning mechanics, this game is legitimately too long. I just finished with Vellen, I don't think I'm going to even finish the game. I looked online and just pounding the main story line the game is still 16 hours long :cry:

Witcher 3 being my favorite game notwithstanding, this seems like an odd complaint for an open world RPG. How long do you want it to be?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Digirat posted:

Because battlefield bad company 2 is a good game, the best way to play the wookie class is ironically to pack a shotgun, throw motion balls and destroy people on the front line with the rest of your team. Or if not a shotgun, just a sniper rifle without a scope, blasting people away with your M95 at knife range

Rockin the VSS all day, every day.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

For some reason the best place to farm them is at the Whale's Graveyard. An easy fix for this problem would be the option to recycle worthless monster-mutagens like the Wraiths.

You get that ability through renovations at Corvo Blanco.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Croccers posted:

Recon was the best Assault class. Chuck Beep balls everywhere then just shotgun the gently caress out of everything.

Agreed. I've been running Scout in BF1 lately just because I love the flares. Using an unscoped Russian trench lever action for long, safe shots, and my pistol for everything else. I'd looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove a shotgun, though.

The biggest issue I have with BF1 is that the medic guns are so good everyone uses them like sniper rifles so there's no one around to revive or heal. They're all in a tower/on a hill/whatever.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Witcher 3 is a very good game.

This person speaks the truth.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

I bought Fable 3 over the XBox Black Friday deal, and it's good! I'm having a lot of fun with it just....c'mon, give me a jump button!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yeah, I felt the same. I don't know, the combat in 1 and 2 was a slog to begin with but then somehow just clicked for me, which it never did in the like, 5 hours I played 3

And gently caress trying to jump back into that game, like, what the gently caress was I even doing? What did I choose? How do I play the game?? I guess I better restart the whole shebang...

I can agree the combat in Witcher 3 isn't the best, but after a few hours and you get used to it, it's not so bad. Hit, hit, dodge, bomb, hit, dodge. I didn't mind it, anyway.

But, there's literally a quest log you can look at to see what you need to do, so I don't really get the second complaint.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Walton Simons posted:

The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine. Archespores with their stupid teleporting, pods that Geralt always auto-targets instrad of the monster itself, their stupid loving hyper-accurate spitting attack they spam at every opportunity and their stupidly large HP pools. gently caress them.

Make sure you have the highest level of Golden Oriole that you can make and use it. Then laugh at the archespores as you casually stroll up to them while being healed every time the spit on you. When you're close enough, use Igni, then swords.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

So I bought the Skyrim Remaster for PS4. This seemed like a wise choice because I played it extensively for years up until my ps3 went out about 3 years ago. I started it up and got to Whiterun and figured out that I don't really seem to like it anymore.

I drunkenly bought it for XBone one night, so I've been playing it. For me, the first bit is such a slog. After I got past the Greybeards, it got better. I've played it before but never beaten it. Once I beat it this time, I can't see myself ever playing it again.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

The Batmobile would have been a million times better if there were no tank mode and you were just tearing rear end and slamming into things at 200 mph in pursuit mode the whole time.

One of the things that annoyed me the most about the Batmobile was that suddenly the grand majority of the Riddler challenges were just Batmobile obstacle course races, instead of the, y'know, actual riddles and stuff that popped up in Asylum and City.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Recently played through Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, now I'm working on Arkham Knight(to hell with Origins). The number one thing dragging it down for me is that for some bizarre reason, they switched up the control scheme from all of the previous games. Now you have to press up on the DPad for detective mode instead of LB, which no summons the Batmobile. I'm constantly accidentally trying to summon the drat Batmobile. The new gadget wheel is pretty clunky, too.

And one of my favorite parts of the previous games were the Riddler Riddles, but there's only 1 or 2 per area now, in addition to the 1 billion trophies. The Riddler sidequest isn't as fun to me either, because it's the Riddler building these elaborate Batmobile race courses which doesn't really fit in with the Riddler's MO at all. I guess that can be explained away by Batman always beating him, so he's changing it up.

On the bright side, the Batmobile parts aren't as bad as I remember, they're just really shoehorned in there as much as possible.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Olaf The Stout posted:

I really didn't dig the batmobile, but it's a constant presence in the game. Even if you swoop into a group of thugs, they're all like "it's the bat! I wonder where his sweet car is!?"

Yeah, I don't really dig it either, but there are multiple quests where you have to use it. I never use it for travel, though. Half the fun of these games is grappling through the landscape.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

The whole thing about Riddler is his ego. There's no logical sense to what he's doing outside of proving himself better than Batman. While the actual car mechanics are easy to hate on, he's a consistent character across the series, and that whiny fit when you start beating his races... :allears:

Yeah, I like the character of the Riddler. Just some of his related stuff in AK is a little dull.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I picked up Dishonored: Death of the Outsider and I really don't like the way they force you to use certain powers. What I always loved about the earlier Dishonored games was the verticality of the level design and giving you several distinct paths to any given objective. If you were careful and paid attention to the levels you could find all kinds of hidden passages or alternate routes but in Death of the Outsider the designers seem to only want you to use certain powers in very specific ways.

The most glaring example is the Bank level. There is only one entrance to the bank courtyard and it is on the ground level with 7 or 8 guards patrolling the area. Instead of letting you find some vents or open windows to go through, you have to pass through one single gate . The only way to do get past this part of the level is to use the semblance ability, where you steal someone's face for about 20 seconds. So basically you have to find a guard, incapacitate them, steal their face, then just dead sprint through the courtyard gate before the timer runs out.

They also got of the the beating heart mechanic and replaced with being able to tale to rats. It's not bad in theory, but the rats never really give any specific information, they just kind of ramble. With the heart you could point it at someone or something and get any plot or background info , instead the rats just kind of show up sometimes and you have to cycle through their dialogue until something useful comes up.

My biggest complaint about the Dishonored games is I bought Dishonored 2 on digital sale for XBONE and about two hours in it just freezes at the same place and nothing I've tried has fixed it. 😞

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

CJacobs posted:

imo Monster Hunter took off because they acknowledged there was a lot of tedium involved in preparing to fight monsters rather than actually doing so and have been trying to find the right balance ever since, and I think with World they finally got it just about right. They've been trimming the fat piece by piece over the years while keeping the core of the game mostly the same, which I think is commendable given how easy it would have been to just dump all of the preparation wholesale and just make it an action game.

I got MHW and played it a bit but it just still felt a little too grindy. Which is a shame because it was a gorgeous game.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I get it.

For insance, I've read and seen enough about RDR2 to know that there's a ton of poo poo in that game that really drag it down for me.

I wish I WISH I had listened to myself when I said that RDR2 just sounded like it wasn't my thing. I bought it on sale for half price and 10 hours in deeply regret that decision.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Can you get into specifics or is it mainly all the obvious stuff that's already been hashed over?

I'm not sure what's been hashed over, but when the game starts it's very slow. You spend, I don't know, maybe two hours trudging through snowy mountains for the tutorial and it's like it's dull and dragging and boring for the sake of realism. And once you get out of the mountains you have to worry about how clean your clothes are, what clothes to wear in what temperatures, eating enough, drinking enough, feeding and brushing your horse enough, keeping your guns oiled, etc etc. Just every day boring minutiea that just drags it all down for me. I've heard you don't have to do all that stuff, but you get penalized if you don't. On top of all that I don't care about any of the characters and don't care for the combat, so I put it down and haven't touched it since.

I will say though, the game is really pretty.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Trick Question posted:

Witcher 3: this loving ghost boss

It just hovers outside of the circle that makes it take any damage at all and laughs at me. Then it splits into three and sucks all my blood out to recover any damage I've managed to do. Nothing else that I've been on the same level as has been nearly as infuriating. Can't bust this ghost!

The rest of the game seems occasionally annoying but pretty good.

Sounds like you're fighting Jenny of the Woods. It's legit one of the more difficult bosses in the game. No shame in coming back after you level a bit. In addition to Yrden, you can also use Moon Dust bombs and Spectre Oil. When she splits into three, immediately pick one and attack. The two clones should only take one hit to destroy.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Gobblecoque posted:

Haha as soon as I read Trick Question's post I smiled a little and thought "uh oh Jenny is still wreckin' nerds."

Oh, that Jenny. What a scamp!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

I'm only a short way into Sekiro, and I had enough trouble beating the chained ogre while setting him on fire (which he is specifically weak to) whenever possible :smithicide:

Yeah, I got a bit past that guy and put the game down. I might go back at some point but I dunno. I wish they'd just put in an easy mode so I could go through it.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

I complained about Red Dead Redemption 2 yesterday, and a second day in, I kinda want to know if the game's dynamic really changes? Going for a cinematic feel is understandable, but everything so far seems like it's to the detriment of fun gameplay. Everything is just soooo slooooooooowwwwww.

Like, walking speed is about the same as me, hungover at 2 AM and shuffling to find the bathroom without opening my eyes, but I'm constantly feeling locked down to this speed when I'm around NPCs. Animating every action looks neat, but it gets old fast to slowly step around, maneuver myself into the right position, and watch the character act out every instance of searching/looting/etc.

When I'm actually DOING something on a mission it feels fun, but every time it feels like the same setup:
- Five+ minutes of "hold x to match speed" while slowly meandering along through unskippable dialogue (immediately repeatable without skipping if you screw up something, like when my horse randomly died multiple times just now from bad pathfinding while I zoning out during minutes on end of going down an empty trail)
- Fiddle around with horse inventory because you can't carry all the weapons you want
- Have some fun, mixed in with slow wandering around looting or whatever
- Five+ minutes of matching speed with more unskippable dialogue on the way home, also repeated if you screw up

I'm really struggling to stay interested, maybe this just isn't the game for me :(

These are some of the reasons I put the game down after 10 hours and uninstalled it.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

I was playing through The Surge in anticipation for the sequel and man, that game just kind of peters out at the end. The final boss is super underwhelming and extremely easy to beat and they do a pretty poor job of signposting that it is the end of the game. Especially since there are multiple endings and if you beat the game you have to play through the entire thing all over again to get the other ending.

I tried to play this on XBox One and the camera just seemed really wonky to me.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Started playing The Witcher 3 on PS4, thanks to the Netlix series, and God-drat I feel like I'm doing something wrong because combat is hard as gently caress.

I'm still low level, only 4 (also found like 3 or 4 shrines for the extra skill points,) but I'm still easily dying to, like, a pack of 3 wolves.

I am trying to do mob-management, but I feel like there is massive input lag, or something. I try to dodge/roll, but it doesn't happen half the time, or I feel like it happens way later than when I push the button ("way later" feeling like a second, but it's probably only like .25 second.)

But honestly, the biggest issue is I just am not doing enough damage. Should I have better equipment by now? I've upgraded both swords to newer ones I've found maybe twice but there weren't HUGE jumps in damage, maybe the new range is only like 10-15 more than the starter set?

I'm using oils when I can, as well as signs, potions, and bombs, but I feel like I'm wasting bombs for low-level mobs. I know they refill with a meditation so long as I have the right alcohol, but now I'm running out of alcohol if I have to meditate after drat near every fight.

It took me over a dozen tries to finish that drat werewolf quest because he was just healing so much faster than I could dish out damage, and I had to bring the difficulty down to the second lowest setting. Right now, I'm keeping it there...I don't want to go to the lowest, because I want SOME challenge, but to quote Lisa Simpson:

And then on top of it load times for a saved game feel like they take forever on PS4...I timed it, and it's only like a minute and a half to two minutes, but the last couple games I've played (FC5, RDR2) don't have nearly as long a load time (with the exception of the initial load time when you first start, especially for RDR2.)

The igni sign is great for early wolf packs. Also in the brown skill tree is a skill called Gourmand that makes the health regenerated from eating food last for 20 minutes. Super helpful early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Robert J. Omb posted:

NieR: Automata

- The androids seem to be sexualised. What the gently caress?

- 2B and 9S look pretty similar. This is particularly confusing during fast-paced fight sequences when I struggle to tell which one I’m controlling.

- Chips, pickups, fusing, etc. I find it all a bit daunting/confusing. This is probably just me dragging things down. However (and this is one for the other thread) I loved the NPC at camp who said, “You look loving clueless - do you want me to just set you up to be at your optimum?”

I grabbed this since it was on GamePass and I have to ask, do the constant perspective shifts annoy you as much as they annoy me?