Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Downloaded last night and gave Vanduul swarm a run this morning; best part was I was expecting my computer to explode with the gradual fan acceleration but eventually it plateaued and the game ran smooth as glass. Only real complaint so far is that because keybinding is locked for now and I'm not using an "approved" joystick (I'm using a Thrustmaster T-Flight) half my buttons aren't mapped and I have to switch back and forth between it and keyboard.

Ah well, at least I get to watch Vanduul wing cannons go flying into the void as I blast them off with my crappy Aurora lasers!

The Royal Scrub posted:

My AC is just the hangar module on a fresh install. What do I do to get swarm mode?

Put on your helmet and get into the cockpit of one of the three approved ships. The helmet will activate, then just pick Vanduul swarm from the menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

ijyt posted:

So is this thing "good" good or "denial" good?

I'll give it a good. It needs to be tweaked like hell and a from what I've heard half the joysticks aren't actually implemented, but blowing up a Vanduul is pretty drat satisfying.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Courthouse posted:

They've been changing several ships hardpoints from fixed class 1 to gimbal class 2. Possibly after testing revealed fixed guns are poo poo in a dogfighting environment where you can turn on a dime? Either way it seems most guns will be gimbaled, unless they plan to go like E:D and let you choose between smaller gimbal guns or larger fixed ones for each hardpoint.

My hope is they go somewhere along these lines; I like gimballed weapons but I think more powerful fixed weapons have their place, trading expediency for stopping power.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Mr Fantastisch posted:

Just on the staggered release of multiplayer to the shuffling, spergy masses, isn't it likely that they're releasing it to backers based on the total amount of money spent during the initial kickstarter campaign? It would make sense to give it to those nerds who dropped thousands of dollars over those who went for the lowest alpha buy in price or got in earliest, otherwise the rage and tears would be cascading all over the forums.

They've made it pretty clear that it's based on citizen # and nothing else (although I wouldn't be surprised if that changed).

Also, it hasn't been released at all; multiplayer won't be released until the next patch.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Is anyone else having difficulty ejecting? I've been mashing Alt-L repeatedly and nothing happens.

As a note I'm flying an Aurora and am wondering if Auroras just don't have an ejection system.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Harabeck posted:

Make sure you are using right-alt and L. Left alt is the scoreboard. If that doesn't work, then I think it's probably that Auroras don't have ejection seats. They're gold plated, so spoors can't afford them.

Probably no ejection seat then.

Jegan Ace posted:

The controls need to be more responsive and dare I say, arcadey. Not everybody is going to have a HOTAS setup, but they'll most likely be able to buy a 360 controller. I think the cockpit is already full of poo poo you won't be paying attention to when an opposing vessel is knocking your shields to 25% every 5 seconds. There's even a helpful lady over the loudspeaker telling you continuously how awful you are doing in a fake space combat simulator, as you struggle to prevent yourself looking like a clueless space cowboy wrestling with a psychotic metal steed with a mind of its won.

I am not sure about everyone else, but I think in general - people are recalling back to the days when they played Tie Fighter, Early Ace Combats or Rogue Squadron. Then they get their hands on this build of the client, and the ships are definitely not tuned properly yet. They need to be moving away from complicating the control scheme more, because I am pretty sure the majority of people are not wanting to play Microsoft Flight Simulator 2015.

I'm in agreement. I like the idea of simming it to extremes with all kinds of buttons and switches to manipulate the nitty gritty of flying an imaginary spaceship, but I'd rather the game be focused on creating a fun flying experience with the option to turn it into a complicated mess of dials and switches for those people with cockpit computers.

Renaissance Spam fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 6, 2014

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Broccoli Cat posted:

drat, I know your setup cost AT LEAST 500 bux

edit: semi-related: I use a thrustmaster T.flight hotas x (yes, piece of crap but I love it) BUT it has no control panel to tell me the button designations so I can edit my .xml file for AC

anybody else cheap enough to be having this issue?

I too have a T-Flight X that I love. I've pretty much given up on trying to remap and am just waiting for the eventual patch that will allow us to set our own layout.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I thought so too. As in the whole point of the DFM was multiplayer, not some bot match.

The multiplayer is going to be rolled out in the next patch update, so get ready to wait another 6 months.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Man, you would think with a week of "polishing" someone in CIG would have gone "hey guys let's make a quick way for people to map controls, since it's all XML based". Guess not.

I vaguely recall someone somewhere (might have been WMH) saying that they hadn't established a keymapping system because they needed a build that was solid enough to handle the variables required for keymaps. Considering they're showing how to DIY a keymap (which seems like it would be even less reliable for code stability than an in game keymapper) it seems possible this is a load of hooey.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Av027 posted:

I just did a little testing with the Aurora, and I only see the wobbling at around 80% throttle and up on a hard left or right yaw. The two things that catch my eye the most above 80% throttle are the main thruster pulsing on and off (actual speed starts to fluctuate wildly, stability controls make no impact on or off), and the weak side front maneuvering thruster articulating vertical, then against the turn and firing hard to cause each wobble pulse. By weak side I mean the one that really should not be firing - so in a left yaw, the right front should, the left front should not, but the left front is doing some wacky poo poo instead.

Strangely, at lower throttle settings the left front (in the above case) still fires weakly and articulates some, though not as wildly. Not sure why the hell it's firing at all, but it is. When stationary and yawing left, the left front thruster fires a tiny bit in steady pulses, but does not articulate at all. It's got something to do with the throttle position, though I couldn't say what.

I've found this too; when I turn I almost always throttle down to ~50% to get a tighter turn with my crappy Space Ford and almost never get the judder, but when I do it's always on the yaw.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

sorla78 posted:

Production costs aren't that high if you do it in-house as CIG most probably did, so your costs depend on the amount of staff involved in the production. The voice-over artist costs anything up to 2k for National Televison for 15-30s of commercial voice-over work, I guess "celebrity" voices are higher than that, but I would be surprised if the cost was larger than 10k.

VA is a weird beast; in comparison to most other media performance it's the most expensive to do (Prelay usually pays higher than ADR, and ADR is looking at a couple hundred dollars an hour, and that's just in the states. Should they decide to outsource their general voice work to somewhere like Canada, ACTRA rules require a 200% buyout clause that means an artist is making around 1k per hour. The upside of that choice is it means no residuals, something I'm not entirely sure is a factor when it comes to video games.

Nevertheless, my point is that VA is pretty drat expensive and while it likely won't go into the millions with the amount of depth they claim they want in their NPCs it'll likely go into 6 figures.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

illectro posted:

Surprised they haven't tried to sell 'provide voiceovers for a character' as a funding option.

Amateur voice work is almost always atrocious, and a big reason for that is because most voiceover directors are usually just techs hoping to avoid technical issues and have no idea how to direct an actor.

The result is that it's a much safer bet just to hire pros who've been doing this long enough to direct themselves. That whole "we're going to bring in some old favourites" isn't fanservice, it's because CIG knows these people can do the job and do it well. The fact everybody want's to hear Tom Wilson laugh again is just a bonus.

drunkill posted:

They are not just doing VA work though, they are doing full performance capture (think Avatar/TinTin movies) where the actors face is captured too, sure they might get one or two VAs to dub over the top of the actor performing but no doubt we'll have the visual likeness of some b or c grade actors like the Wingcommander FMVs, with a bit of digital makeup regarding hair or age.

For the face to face stuff, sure, but there's going to be plenty of audio chatter outside of the facial recognition stuff (which I wouldn't be surprised runs a similar acting price tag as I think it technically still falls into voice acting union rules. Don't take that as writ, just using conjecture). Like I said it's assuming they're going to use lots of actors to fill the space with lots of individual NPCs instead of 6 people just saying different stuff.

Renaissance Spam fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 8, 2014

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

It effectively makes the Aurora impossible to fly to any real effectiveness and most importantly it's not fun. It's a lovely system and clearly bugged because there is no logical or realism reason it should behave like that. It's either arbitrary unfun bullshit or buggy.

I quite like how the Aurora flies; yes it needs to be tweaked so its yaw isn't as herky-jerky, but I've found that using copious amounts of roll, throttling down while yawing and decoupled mode counteract the most glaring issues. I also like the fact that it actually requires active use of throttle in its handling as far too often in space sims the throttle is a thing that happens when you're not matching speed or using afterburner.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

The Royal Scrub posted:

drat, that's the way to play. I don't have a Hornet but I really don't think you could pull that off with M+KB. Your ship would be following your mouse all over the drat place. They really need a toggle for turret tracking only, it'd even help me in my 300i.

But yeah, M+KB people: I use Ctrl+F all the time to fly and I have way better control, I recommend everyone try it. Then I just toggle off relative mode in order to use gun tracking in my dead zone. Once we have adjustable dead zones I'll just max mine out and use Ctrl+F to fly and toggle it off to shoot.

As it stands now I'm missing any weapons coverage outside my deadzone, which by the looks of it would be pretty substantial in the Hornet.

If you hit tab you get freelook which still tracks for guns. Because the keyboard doesn't have a pitch control (at least I don't think so, I'm pretty much locked to my joystick and barely touch the keyboard) it isn't as effective as it should be.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Unless they give us a way to freelook with the mouse like you can do with the OR then yeah, there will be no way to compete with someone using an OR judging by those videos. The situation awareness demonstrated in those videos alone makes it look like a whole different game. Even with mouse freelook that isn't the same as just turning your head a bit. And you can't steer+look when using a mouse or joystick since there is only one method of control and it's the same as your method of looking around.

Maybe if there was some kind of mouse+joystick control scheme where the mouse is the view+gimbals/turrets and the joystick is the ship control? That would be the only thing similar to what an OR player has.

If you hit Tab this happens.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

That doesn't let you continue to steer the ship with your fingers still on all the buttons while aiming independently, does it? Not like when using an OR anyway, not even close.

If they implemented a pitch control for the keyboard it would be pretty close. Because they haven't it's...less than ideal.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Broccoli Cat posted:

-and of course they were too autistic to just make them more powerful, so that when you actually got one hit, it was devastating.

TBF I seem to recall one of the devs saying this is the eventual plan, with Class 1 hardpoints becoming powerful but hard to aim while Class 2 becomes the standard, lower power but easier to aim weapons.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Harabeck posted:

I'm confused. When I hit tab, it won't let me shoot at all. You sure about this?

Hrmm...I'll double check when I get the chance. If I'm talking out my rear end on this one then it's my bad.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Informed Consent posted:

So what are your thoughts on "Around the verse" so far?

I think the show needs a "Lesnicks weight" segment. And I think it is as cringeworthy as we feared. He's just not comfortable in front of the camera at all

I'm completely non-objective as I have...issues with :lesnick: from my WCNews days, but it really really hurt watching the whole thing. WMH was far from perfect, but as has been said at least there was a charm and charisma on display that helped smooth out the rough edges. That whole "We're not effete LA studio magnates" bit actually made me close the window it was so painful. I wasn't a rabid fan of WMH, but I'd rather there be nothing than ATV in its current iteration.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

Also known as 'Space B-17'

But does it have a 2 waist guns and a ball turret? I demand the 8er allow me to relive my 12 o'clock High fantasies in space or else Chris Roberts no better than Derek Smart!

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Wingman may have been a little stiff when reading from his cue cards but there was an ease in his manner which made him fun to watch.

Ben and Sandi both feel like they're deer caught in the headlights whenever they look at the camera; Sandi moreso (although we've known that for a while) but I find myself just unable to watch Ben. He's got that awkward acting style that comes right out of a junior high play and comes off as incredibly disingenuous as a result.

I'm willing to give ATV another month for them to get rid of the rough edges and relax into it, but if they don't improve the quality by mid-July they need to do a total overhaul because I, at least, find the show in its current state unwatchable.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Adventure Pigeon posted:

One really funny side effect of the limited combat range is that large capital ships won't be able to accurately shoot a shell from one end to the other of it. We've gone from WW2 combat to pre-Napoleonic.

That or capital ships will be more reliant on HUD displays to give firing solutions instead of "eyeballing" shots like smaller craft are able to.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

xgp15a-ii posted:

Is just a decent joystick + the keyboard practical and worth it, or would you strongly recommend getting something like a saitek x52/x55 that comes with the throttle thing for the left hand, too?

It's really subjective; I'm a big fan of using a joystick, but I've got a $40 Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS and it does everything I need it to; there's no need to drop 100+ just for a peripheral.

I'm personally a big fan of having a throttle and find it far easier to use than the keyboard (and I change velocity a lot), but it comes down to personal preference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

xgp15a-ii posted:

In most games I play where you can use missiles, they're always really strong. They explode for big damage, and they lock on and home in. The downside is always just that they have low ammunition count, and ammunition is expensive. Just from my experience in the AC versus the Vanduul swarm, this seems to be the case here, too - a missile will wreck an enemy easily.

Do you think SC will have adequate counters against missiles? Like, flares/chaff, ECM stuff to break target locks, or just plain nimble maneuverability to dodge missiles? And that these countermeasures will be actually effective?

If missiles are reliable enough, and can be mounted instead of guns, guns seem sort of useless.

Think about it this way: How many times have you been hit by missiles? Yes, the missiles are pretty drat powerful, but proper use of flares and boost mean they're an annoyance at most. Even against the AI, missiles lose a great deal of their effectiveness once you start fighting enemies above Hunter Level. Add in the limited number you can carry and trading in guns for missiles (something I don't think is possible anyways due to the hardpoint system) becomes less and less a viable spec strategy.

• Locked thread