Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Manos del Sino posted:

In TV news, I'm really looking forward to the coming season of True Blood. I know people think it has deteriorated greatly over the years, but I prefer to think that it was always trash. Enjoyable trash, but trash.

Nah, man, the last season was pretty bad. You can't draw a Nazi allegory when your 'Jews' are literal bloodthirsty monsters who must kill and eat human beings to survive. Vampires, by and large, should be put to death. I don't know how you could even argue against this given their behavior throughout the series (to say nothing of the world at large/throughout human history).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, and it only would've gotten more hosed up in the second and third seasons. There have only been four shows I've ever been legitimately sad to see cancelled--Wonderfalls, The Middleman, Bunheads and Don't Trust the Bitch in Apt.23--but Wonderfalls was the only one I wish I could have seen where it went. Fuller's plans for that show sounded loving amazing.

wikipedia posted:

*A new wax lion, one who was intact, would be introduced, who would advise Jaye against listening to what the original wax lion said.
*In the second season, Aaron would begin to worship his sister as a religious figure.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ravane posted:

Supernatural used to be a procedural, when they were hunting a different monster every week. But now it's just garbled mess of things that won't be solved for seasons on end.

The same thing happened to Warehouse 13. They replaced charming artifact-of-the-week stories with a convoluted and repetitive metaplot, turning once fun character into weeping sacks of tiresome angst ("a bloo bloo, I just killed gay Steve" "a bloo bloo, my comatose sister is evil!" "a bloo bloo, Myka's cancer is making me question my mortality"). The shame of it is this is exactly what goons were clamoring for back in season 2 because they're too dumb to know they shouldn't gently caress with a good thing.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Kumail Nanjiani is doing a podcast where he recaps every X-Files episode.

Kumail's great on Harmontown because he counterbalances Harmon's windbaggery, but I can't imagine he'd be that good hosting a show by himself. And, really, in the time it would take to listen to that podcast, couldn't I just watch the episodes he's talking about? What's the point?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Also the difference between sony and Microsoft is sony has a massive television production system that is able to crank out material of a quality so them getting into the original content game is exciting

Yes, the incredible production system that brought us The Tester, The Tester 2 and The Tester 3.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Of course they cast a white guy to play a black character. :sigh:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Annakie posted:

Hi everyone, I'm the new mod.

Oh man I knew it would be you. You're so funny and such a great poster, I know you'll do a slurplurplurplurplurp

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

OldSenileGuy posted:

PS I think I'm gonna make posting the word "book" probatable in the next thread.

Let's probate words altogether and force posters to communicate like cavemen, with grunts, hand gestures and jpegs carved into stone tablets.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Why would a moderator not immediately trash any report that came from the Game of Thrones thread? Its not like they're selling drugs in that thread. At worst, they're maybe--MAYBE--spoiling a decade-old book with no ending.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Terror is nothing other than justice, prompt, severe, inflexible; it is therefore an emanation of virtue; it is not so much a special principle as it is a consequence of the general principle of democracy applied to our forum's most urgent needs.

Deadpool posted:

99% of the reports from that thread are trashed. About the same percentage as the rest of this forum. People report a lot of petty stuff. But on occasion there are things that have to be dealt with. I doubt you'll ever be in the position to hash that stuff out though. When you get put on staff I see it being as admin and you'll be above all that kind of stuff.

No need to get passive aggressive, I'm not trying to backseat mod or anything. Its just that I ask myself whenever someone says how hard it is being a mod, "why would anyone take this poo poo seriously?"

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

cool kids inc. posted:

Edit: Ward also didn't shoot/shot the dog.

They never resolved this loose end, did they?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
"Kids love Batman. Kids love going to school. What if we made a show where Batman goes to school?"

"Holy poo poo that's amazing."

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Anyone who hasn't already needs to go iTunes (or whatever) and watch episode 5 of Penny Dreadful. Eva Greene goes full retard in what is, in my humble opinion, the greatest hour of television that has aired this year thus far.

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah Batman Beyond was pretty cool

I must be the only person on earth who didn't like Batman Beyond. How do you go from Batman:TAS to that? Ugh.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 12, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Manos del Sino posted:

I know it's my fault for only halfway paying attention since I watch the show while working, but I am having a lot of trouble identifying a coherent narrative in Penny Dreadful. It just seems like a bunch of classic horror motifs being strung together without much purpose.

That's understandable because they're still in the team building stage. Think of it like the first few episodes of The Wire. The plot is all over the place, a ton of characters are being introduced for seemingly no purpose and there isn't much narrative thrust, but when the finale rolls around, everything should come together and make sense. Now, I'm not saying Penny Dreadful is the next Wire, but I think it could come close.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Rarity posted:

No, it never shows any more than it does in the first season. It just ramps the elements up to 11.

Going to 11 is what differentiates 24 from all the boring action-adventure shows that followed. 24 isn't about a government agent trying to save the day, its about a violent sociopath being given carte blanche to maim, torture and kill anyone and everyone in pursuit of slightly more dangerous sociopaths. The bloody swaths of destruction Jack cuts across downtown LA/New York/London are second to none. Have the Agents of SHIELD ever murdered a person's family to force a confession from a witness? Has Carrie Matheson ever tortured an injured woman while evading unmanned aerial drone strikes in a Ford Focus? Did Arrow from the CW show Arrow ever strangle his best friend because she tried to stop him from assassinating a foreign head of state?

Didn't think so :colbert:

Jack Bauer is the only person who has done those things because he is the only true American badass on television. And that's why we love him.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 13, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

GreenNight posted:

Like how the best thing about Mayberry was that there was no colors?

They added colors after the fifth season, but nobody talks about them because the show really went downhill after they showed up.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't think I've ever read a full AV review. At most I'll look at the letter grade and scan the stray observations. Oh, and occasionally I'll ctrl-f a review of a show I haven't seen to find out if a character I like was in an episode.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

If you've ever seen a Disney Channel sitcom then you know that whoever watches that poo poo will literally watch anything. Throw in name recognition and nostalgia and you can only go up from there.

I grew up watching Hey Dude and Salute Your Shorts, so far be it for me to throw stones at kids who watch the Boy Meets Girl revival.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Really, though, the oppressive laugh track is the only truly objectionable part of Disney's live-action output.

I mean, I love a good rape joke as much as the next guy, but the gales of childrens' laughter afterward just makes it weird.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Posting Family Guy-esque snippets of R&M is not really helping your case, guys.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I enjoy Rick and Morty, but it isn't universally lovable television.

Its also an incredibly uneven show. Some episodes are brilliant. Some are merely average. And the pilot is unwatchable.

That said, anyone who likes old-timey adventure games needs to check out the Rick and Morty game on Cartoon Network's website. Its like Monkey Island, but funny.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
"There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Strong Belwas, and Coldhands, and Lady Stoneheart, and all your favorite characters, in the books, and you yourselves show watchers."
Luke 13:28

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

Nah just kidding, I never really got the use of the term 'genre show' either.

And why do they call them 'chick flicks'? Do you have to show them your tampon at the box office to buy a ticket?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I know he doesn't get much love, but Jimmy Kimmel is the best at trolling stupid people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAd80eK2QNk

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Have any of you guys seen this Hotwire commercial? Apparently it's two weeks old but I just saw it on TV and I was amazed that it featured a gay couple and didn't make light of the fact that they were a gay couple at all. Just treated them like totally normal people. I'm proud of you, TV.

Should we throw a parade? Petition Obama to make it a national holiday?

Help me out here, what's the proper response to there being gays on tv?

edit: unacknowledged gays

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 17, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

I don't even know what you're trying to rage against here, but if the target demographic is "people who are pleasantly surprised at seeing different types of people on TV that are not painted as wacky stereotypes" then yes I will keep enjoying them, thank you :)

Look, if this guy is more entertained by a Cheerios commercial because it has a bunch of gays on it than, say, Game of Thrones for being an exciting, well written and expertly produced drama, more power to him. His tastes might be the equivalent of a baby fascinated by shiny objects, but by god, they're his tastes. And nothing you, I, or anyone says will change that.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Gee, who would have thought goons impotently raging against their mothers would have brought conversation to a screeching halt?

In news unrelated to your latent oedipal yearnings, Martin Sheen is set to star in the now significantly less horrible sounding Jane Fonda/Lily Tomlin Netflix show, Grace and Frankie. His presence will no doubt add some much needed watchability to a show that, up til now, was the television equivalent of intestinal cancer. Yeah, its still a show about two old ladies trying to extend the definition of cougar to its logical extreme, but at least now you can fast forward past jokes about hot flashes and dry snatches to see Martin Sheen do his thing.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
They don't. Mad Men's 'time jumps' have been a marketing gimmick since the second season and have never impacted the plot in any significant way. They're only there to tease live viewers with the prospect of upcoming historical events. AMC wants viewers to ask "I wonder how Don will react to the moon landing?" or "how will an old warhorse like Burt view Nixon's withdrawl from Vietnam?" (as if both aren't incredibly dull).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
You know a show has gone off the rails when a minor character like The Hound gets more screen time than major characters like Jon Snow, Kelly C. and Tyrion. The episode literally spent 20 minutes of its runtime on some inane fanfiction-y showdown between Brienne and The Hound, but only 5 minutes depicting Tyrion's most pivotal, character-defining moment in the series.

edit: cutting Tyrion's escape also short-changed Jaime and his redemptive arc.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 19, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
"Show us the hole in the wall" is a really terrible catchphrase for a gameshow.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
It makes sense. On the Dissolve he'd just be another guy critiquing movies and poo poo, but on Vox, he's the tv critic among the dozens of commie journalists/commentators on that site.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
AmericanEducation.gif

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Netflix just added it. The game is hilariously stacked against fat people.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

Why would anyone watch out of context episodes? Especially a show like Korra which is heavily serialized.

Out of context episodes.. in Spanish.

I mean I can understand people getting antsy because there still isn't a premier date for season 3, but come the gently caress on. Its just Korra.

BTW, speaking of cartoons people care way too much about, the last episode of Adventure Time (Food Chain) was really good. Its worth checking out even if you're not a fan of AT.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Cardboard Box A posted:

Should I finish Season 2 of Korra? I watched up through the origin of the avatar special which was pretty good but stopped there.

Only if you have a strong tolerance for anime and anime-esque bullshit.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I, too, have eaten food.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I didn't have television, listen to music or play video games between 2000 and 2006 and yet I still know most of the people on that special.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
At no point in history could human beings not be considered violent psychopaths. Even today. After all, the leader of our enlightened nation, Obama, is spying on the people he swore to serve, fighting multiple shadow wars in the middle east and funding violent drug cartels on his own borders. By whose standards is that not the behavior of a violent psychopath?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

Korra is for jerks, but it's not anime.

If it looks likes anime, sounds like anime and is as convoluted as anime, its probably anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Finally, an excuse to watch Friday Night Lights!

Ahaha, who am I kidding. I'm never going to watch FNL.

• Locked thread