Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't know what made me think of this now, but I liked that in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, the whole game was basically you telling a story to someone. When you loaded up a save, it would start with you saying something like,
"Alright,t now where were we?"

And if you died and reloaded, you'd go,
"No wait...that's not what happened."

Then the twist at the end is that you're telling this story to the princess, who you meet early on in the game and helps you out, but then like 99% of the game doesn't actually happen because you put the Sands of time back, so she doesn't know you or believe your cockamamie story.

I know it's been said about a million times, but if you liked that, drop whatever you're doing and go play Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

OK, someone explain to me how and why "gremlin" became the go-to word for the character everyone likes to imagine eating junk food and playing video games.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

LSD at the gangbang posted:

I think it was someone in this thread that posted about Fantasy Life. That post was the last straw for me, and I got it for myself for Christmas. It has a lot of little :3: things. My favorite so far is the talking butterfly wigging out at a talking flower and shouting "Kill it, kill it!"

I had pretty much the exact same experience; I started playing it last week and I really haven't wanted to stop. The way the Lives quietly but essentially interlock is terrific. It's a beautifully-crafted game, full of texture and flavor, and the dialogue is funny and smart without coming off as trying too hard or impressed with itself — and there's a lot of it. And you can get a pet cat and bring the pet cat along on your adventures, so :kimchi:

Also, the music is great, and the Mt. Snowpeak theme sounds like a lost Michael Nyman track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNHBIyu4C9E

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Rise of the Tomb Raider is a great game, and being able to engulf your enemies in a cloud of weird herbal Russian hallucinogens so that they start murdering each other is extremely satisfying, and if you have the Baba Yaga DLC, doing it while dressed as an insane skullwitch is even better (and it gives you a bonus for doing just that!)

It helps, too, that a lot of the documents you find establish your enemies as being real vicious and irredeemable cocksuckers.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

Now I want to see a game give out 7 points for something like booting up the game and 3 for something ludicrously difficult.

Double Dragon Neon specifically gave you 1 point for starting the game as a "curse" ("Nyah ha ha! Now finish what you have started!") and 9 points for beating the last boss.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

the little tune that plays when you get an item in Ys is so good

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

a game where [you] stealthily murder a bunch of poor rural religious nuts

...sounds loving great?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Somfin posted:

But the characters sell the "this will make me feel better" angle so strongly that I want to help them almost for its own sake.

Any game that does this well basically has me on a string, and I am totally okay with that.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I mean, he has at least one LP going :shrug:

But that's a new game, I wanna see BioEnchanted discover the joy and mystery of like Monster Rancher 2

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Len posted:

Look man. Monster Rancher 2 is an old game but not a bad name and I will fight you for suggesting that.

No way, I love that game, and one of my greatest pleasures has been seeing people with absolutely no idea what they're in for, but are still willing to give it a fair shot, get sucked into it and plumb its weird and convoluted and rewarding depths.

I think that was pretty much the only game I played in 1999 other than Super Mario All-Stars.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

"His goal is to become the world's best chef, so every day he is busy studying. But the truth is that his own body is the most delicious thing."

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

jojoinnit posted:

I've never played this series. How literal is this description and why?

(A) There is a ghost monster type.
(B) It and a few other monster types can only be unlocked through a series of actions that includes the death of one of your monsters (either from old age or a fatal injury).

A lot of weird things can happen in this game. It's grand.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Couple other things about the Monster Rancher series (these are at least true of the ones I played, 1 and 2):

Action Tortoise posted:

You create monsters by swapping the game disc out with music CDs. Some discs spawn special monsters.

Tips N Tricks back in the day had a whole list of what disc spawns which monsters

See that handsome little guy I used to represent Neubot's post? That's a special breed of monster you can only get off of disc 1 of Metal Gear Solid, for example. And there are a lot of hidden one-off monsters like this in the game, that you can't get by breeding (their "sub-type" is listed as ???). Look at some of the special discs for MR2. It's bonkers.

Another thing is that there's an entirely different roped-off section of the game that involves you bringing your monster along with an archaeologist on expeditions to remote ruins and other places in search of lost treasures, magical artifacts (which in turn unlock still more monster types), and wild cryptids, and monsters that do well on these trips aren't necessarily the ones that would do well in arena combat. Have fun!

Also, someone wrote about half of his master's thesis about Monster Rancher, which is actually pretty neat.

So yeah, someone that has patience for and an interest in old games should definitely play these.

ETA

jojoinnit posted:

Also, I would love to check out Monster Rancher but it doesn't exactly sound like something I could check out easily sadly. I'm assuming even a rom wouldn't really work based on the disk swapping bit?

PSX emulators have a "Change Disc" function (remember, a lot of PSX games spanned more than one disc) that you can use at the shrine to generate monsters. You could either pop in a physical disc or even just mount an ISO for the emulator to read as the disc in the drive for that purpose.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Nude posted:

Ya you guys pretty much convinced me that Monster Ranch is an awesome collect-a-thon. I assume starting with 1 would be better than jumping into 2?

1 is good, but 2 improves on it in every way, and these games literally do not have an end - although there are certain high-tier goals to shoot for - so if you want to throw yourself into one for dozens and dozens of hours to try and see/do as much as possible, go directly to 2.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Slime posted:

From what I remember they generated a monster based on the checksum of the disk, so anything worked as long as it had some data on it. You could probably have burned CDs with random junk, or even specific junk to get a specific checksum.

Correct.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

jon joe posted:

I like the personality the monsters have + the combat system.

This is really true - it's possible, I guess, to look at any given monster you're raising as just a clump of statistics to be massaged and managed, but it would be difficult for all but the jaded to pull off. There's just enough randomness, expression in their body language, and potential for surprises by and from your monster that they really do come to feel as though they have personalities that grow and change as a direct result of their nature and nurture. Even the Monols (i.e. featureless hovering rectangular slabs) are capable of it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Danaru posted:

I ended up playing the original Friday the 13th for this exact reason (and partially because the 2017 game reminded me the NES one existed) and once I read that Jason has a set pattern and that items weren't random, I sorta fell in love with it.

It's not a GOOD game by any stretch of the word, but it's a lot of fun and honestly sorta impressive considering Jason has an actual logic and you can chess-master his movements. You can also lay traps for him since if you have a fast character with a torch/some healing items attacked in a cabin, you can leave the cabin immediately and seal Jason's coffin by chasing him down and abusing mercy invincibility :v:

I'm on my phone, but someone a little while back put out an exhaustive PDF about how Friday the 13th for the NES works, and it really made me reassess my assumptions about the game. Like, there was clearly a lot of thought and care put into it, which is belied by its apparent inaccessibility and evident difficulty (which, I guess, might have been ahead of its time, if you want to classify it as survival horror).

If you're at all curious, it's worth looking up.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I'm finally playing LoZ: A Link Between Worlds.

First, there's a forest theme that for all the world sounds like a Michael Nyman composition, and his music always stirs my blood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WBQtfbfRYA

The second thing is the lost baby Maiamais:

Basically there are a hundred of these adorable little things scattered across the landscape, in little predicaments, and you've got to find them and return them to their mother (you don't have to hold them over your head the whole way back without getting hit; they're more like basic collectables). Anyway, as "collect X of these things" things go, they're adorable. Way better than Skulltulas. They make little chirping sounds if you're near them, and somehow the sound designers, bless them, managed to evoke a chirp that makes you go "awww" without pushing that evolutionary button that makes other plaintive cries in nature so difficult to listen to.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I played through Doki Doki Lit Club today in one sitting and I am so, so glad I did so without spoilers.

I'm not a big visual novel guy, generally (I loved Analogue and Hate Plus, and I love the Ace Attorney and Zero Escape series, so... maybe I kind of am? Anyway) but I'd recommend that game to anyone. Even if you're like "oh, lord, anime," there's enough to keep you interested until the point where you know you absolutely cannot quit, and I think the poetry is actually very good, too.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

Uh, definitely not anyone. It’s a game that you need to know specifically who you’re recommending it to.

But yeah, I don’t dig on anime at all and it’s definitely a good piece of work.

OK, that's a very good point. I guess what I meant was "I'd recommend it to anyone who likes narratives (in) games, regardless of their genres of choice;" I'd definitely extend the content warning to anyone I felt needed it (or didn't know well enough to know if they needed it).

This is what makes content warnings so sticky for me: I wouldn't want anyone to have a terrible time because of a dark and painful swerve in a game, but the dark and painful swerve(s) of DDLC are best experienced as a sharp shock, out of nowhere. Knowing the themes in advance would blunt the impact of the experience, but...

man, did you get some of those secret poems? My god.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I'll tell you what's not a "little thing" in games: the bodacious behinds of the babes of Overwatch! Even over a year after its release, fans are still talking about wanting to have sex with the "Overwatch", a team of women that shoot robots in a setting that's half hip hop and half Star Wars. Darth Vader, watch out! Tracy, May, and the robot known only as D.I.V.A. might be "on your six" ... like the fans are on theirs!

Back to you, Brian.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

We've received some viewer feedback on our Tech Talk segment on the popular computer game program, Over Watch. Brenda?

Thanks, Brian. What I meant to say was, there are women in the game with gigantic asses. I believe that's the style at this time. Brian?

It sure is, but you don't need me to

Oh stop it

Is this a private party or can

Speaking of watching over

That's Overwatch, Brian.

Here's our own "over watcher," Brad, with the regional forecast. Brad?

Ha ha well after seeing the watchover gals strut their stuff against the android army, I wouldn't say there's any danger of cold fronts coming in from the south! Ha ha but overnight lows are looking at about 48 so come on, bring your pets in.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Somfin posted:

And in sports news, apparently I've gotta look at some nerd poo poo. Yeah, I know I'm live Kevin, gently caress off. Look, I came here to talk about football, not some video ga

WOAH would you look at those butts

That is very unprofessional broadcasting.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

BOI is bad because you have to look at a naked baby and poop while you play, it's like experiencing a circle of hell where all sensation has been replaced by 2002-era Newgrounds.

Yeah, I'd love to try it and like it, but I can't get past the child abuse imagery.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

oldpainless posted:

No, it seems pretty organic

That's just a buzzword to get you to pay more for it

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Cleretic posted:

As good as that sounds, I think there's a rich vein just a little off that path that we can tap into with a different license.

Because Breath of the Wild and Nier Automata have shown me that right now, the gaming zeitgeist wants Life After People.

Enslaved's "life after people" vistas were really, really pretty.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

youknowthatoneguy posted:

Tokyo Jungle is the closest thing I can think of that would be a Life After People game.

If your idea of that game is a pack of Pommeranins taking over sections of a city.

I pretty much only use my PS3 for that game and Universal Media Server, these days.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Morpheus posted:

Yeah I really liked the concept of the game but hated how sometimes you'd eventually just be surrounded by toxic areas, with little to no clean food spawning, with really nothing you can do but just die.

Der-Wreck posted:

yes, that was the worst, especially when you have gotten a bunch of upgrades and are reaching the end of your generation. Can't do anything but just die and lose everything you have worked up. That really used to take the wind out of my sails.

Yeah, the world gets worse and worse the longer you survive, which is sort of the point; the Fukushima disaster was very, very fresh in the Japanese consciousness when the game was developed, and I suspect the increasing toxicity and unlivability of the game world was meant to be a commentary on that.

I suspect it's possible to survive a lot longer with a herbivore than a carnivore, since eventually the world becomes overrun with homo erectus, which even if you manage to kill, the game doesn't allow you to eat - but there are always going to be plants respawning. They may be toxic as hell, but that's where the item drops come in. If you keep moving - and this is a game that absolutely wants you to keep moving - then you'll likely find enough pet food and bottled water to keep you alive. Pet food doesn't count towards the calories you need to rank up, but still.

Thing is, too, every time you change generations and get that +x to this or that stat, you keep it. When you start a new game, your brand-new cat (or whatever) will have the generation change bonuses of every cat that came before it. I'm in the fifty-somethingth generation of cats on my save and they start out with a hunger stat drat close to 200. That helps a lot. This is why it's really, really worth finding the prime mate, every time.

(the blue indicates baseline stats and the red indicates stat gains from generational changes)

Mondian posted:

Honestly, you're sorta better off experiencing it second hand. Its an interesting game, but pretty shallow

I gotta disagree! There are so many different animals to unlock, items to find, and areas to explore; there are so many different ways to play it. It can be repetitive, I suppose, but you're constantly forced to think on your feet and adapt.

E: correction, it's my life stat that starts at near 200.

Pastry of the Year has a new favorite as of 00:19 on Dec 2, 2017

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Der-Wreck posted:

For sure, I got what they were going for in that the world was still going to poo poo. It was cool in theory but it could be a pain in the rear end when playing.

I figured you knew; that post was largely for the folks that are having fun reading about it.

McDragon posted:

The sound design on Tokyo Jungle was some good poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJxRI-G3goQ

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I did just download a Sega CD emulator. I'll probably try the first Ecco at the weekend.

If you can play through the Jurassic Park point-and-click adventure game, I'll be... well, surprised. But impressed, too.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The Telltale one? That's not difficult to play - just a bit annoying.

It'd be child's play compared to what Bioenchanted usually works through too.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I've been playing Smash T.V. since it was a new thing, and only this morning did the hilarious absurdity of the players - who are shirtless and can be gruesomely killed with a single hit - wearing helmets.

I mean, yeah, safety first.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

Outlandishly stupid is exactly how I would describe having Miss Cleo use voodoo to make you momentarily stop performing ethnic cleansing on Haitians to run drugs for them and kill your allies in droves without consequence in the process.

actually that owned

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Okami manages to thread the needle of being a beautiful, fulfilling game that is absolutely dedicated to its premise, and is also totally in love with poop and pee.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Fantasy Life is just a ding dang delight and I'd recommend it to anyone. It's just this giant, genial playground, and yeah, I'm always a sucker for games in which one can excel at jobs or tasks that are not (necessarily) combat-oriented, like cooking or fishing or sewing.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Thin Privilege posted:

In Prison Architect I just found this random piece of paper which turned out to be a developers note (maybe fake but whatever). There’s 40+ of them to collect apparently. It’s really cool. There’s also polaroids of stuff like stabbings and I missed a couple cause the jail guard confiscated it before I could click on it.

PYF little things in games: There’s also polaroids of stuff like stabbings

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I have no idea who they'd introduce for the weird super-retro character of this game, that could be on the level of Mr. Game and Watch, R.O.B., and Duck Hunt.

The live-action Wild Gunman from the 1974 light gun game.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

If you attack a crow in Tokyo Jungle, other crows will remember and come after you, even if they're outmatched in a stand up fight. That's entirely different from other prey animals in the game, and pretty neat.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

glad she is dead posted:

Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China is basically an okay 2D stealth game. But there are brief 'escape' levels where it turns into a free-runner against the clock and it's WAY more fun than the slow sneaky stuff. I wish there was more of this :(

Yeah, if you've done everything there is to do in Mark of the Ninja, you could do a lot worse than this. I liked it, but I also found it incredibly frustrating in places, in that "this failure wasn't actually my fault" sort of way.

Had a ton of polish, though. Lovely to look at and listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

so I'm living in a work of fiction and all the recurring places and people in my dreams are just references to other works of fiction by the same author?! :psyduck: