Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Bethesda games are the kind of games I respect because of the scale and scope of the whole thing, but actually playing through them is like trying to eat bland flavorless mush. I'm trying to play Skyrim right now and the characters and story are drab and boring, the combat/"exploration" is repetitive and unsatisfying, and every minute I try to slog through it, the more I want to just go try the Witcher 2 instead.

The best description I ever heard of Skyrim is that it is an ocean wide, but only a foot deep. I enjoyed it still, but most of that was from wandering around the world looking at the sights and listening to the soundtrack, which really isn't what most people would play it for. The plot and characters are okay I guess, but in the end it just feels like a wasted opportunity to tell an epic and unique story.

Mod it to hell and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Great, just whenever I get to thinking that if I can get the assorted stuff on my wishlist I'll be done buying games forever, I just have to check the new steam thread and Clockwork Empires, Mount your friends, and Crypt of the Necrodancer are coming out soon.

It never ends does it.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Guys, holy crap. At some point? Steam silently patched in a "if you redeem a key, games are removed from your wishlist" feature.

I love it.

I am irrationally happy at this development.

Also I've noticed in the last update to the categories system, putting a game into a category no longer immediately scrolls you to that game in its new category, something I found really annoying for some reason.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I dont really like CYOA stuff, or most point and click adventures for that matter, and I hate QTEs with a passion, but I just played the first chapter of The Wolf Among Us and I'll be damned if it wasn't as good as everyone says it is.

Granted I read what there was of the comic series years ago and liked the world and characters then.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Quest For Glory II posted:

How long does it take for Playfire to deposit money into your GMG account? The FAQ said every 12 hours but it's been a few days, I'm wondering if something hosed up somewhere.

Like a month or so ago my playfire stopped tracking anything, let alone putting money into my gmg account. I suppose it was around the time most goons were getting banned for using SAM, but I only used SAM for idling cards, not getting cheevos. So beats me.

Maybe they figured out I never actually bought something from them, just the free EVE thing I'm never going to use. Not that I'm complaining, it was basically free goat simulator for playing some random games.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Gimperial posted:

Is there a separate card trading thread? Or are cards part of the general game trading thread? (P.S this is not in the OP!)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549823

For all your card trading needs.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Nevett posted:

Hm. I'm getting lots of friend requests all of a sudden from random looking level 1 accounts. I've ignored them all but I can't work out what they're interested in.

I have nothing in my inventory of note.

The only thing I can think of is that I installed the Steam inventory helper Chrome extension linked earlier in the thread and used it to bulk sell 90 near-worthless cards. Has that somehow put me on a list for phishing bots or something?

I dont think its that chrome extension, because I havent used it and i keep getting these same kind of friend requests, 1-2 a day or the past few, all accounts with just 1 game, East India Trading or whatever.

I cant figure out why either. My profile is public but my inventory is friends only. The only things I can think of is that I use enhanced steam and recently used idle master, but I doubt its either of them.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Posted on tf2outpost /dota2lounge /csgolounge? That's where most spam/ phishing comes from.

nope/nope/nope!

:iiam:

I have played quite a bit of cs:go recently though, so I suppose that might be it somehow.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Lethemonster posted:

I did get Risk of Rain in a bundle though and it's insanely fun. I had a question about single player versus multiplayer though. In local co op when we restart we keep a lot of things like power ups and money. But in single player I actually have to start from scratch each time. It seems impossible to progress on single player. What am I missing?

What do you mean by restart? Because if you mean you both die in local co-op, then when you start a new game from the first level you should be restarting with no money/items, just like single player. Its a roguelike-lite-like (or whatever) in that way. I'm actually confused as to how you would even retain money/items, unless one of you is some kind of wizard.

Single player is totally possible, it just seems really hard as balls at first because you have to learn to use your characters abilities, such as their dodge, as well as how to balance the time spent per level versus item collection. Actually I think local co-op is harder because unlike internet co-op you cant split up to find the teleporter fatser.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Lethemonster posted:

We'd die in co-op and select 'try again'. When the game loaded up the time counter would run from the same time at which we died and we'd have all the items and money we died with.

Ended up running round on HAHAHAHA with hundreds of things everywhere and loads of items. It was a blast.

Edit: How are GMG out of stock of a download only game. I really want Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light :(

Well that is definitely a bug then because that is not supposed to happen, but I guess lucky for you guys that it did :v: It will probably get fixed at some point, the devs are going to have an update soon with 2 new characters and a few new items. Who knows when though, its only two guys that are undergrads.

The best part of RoR is managing to get through all the hard bits to become a nigh-unstoppable demi-god of death and feel like you deserved it, which plays into its minimalist lore rather well too.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Tower of Guns is the cheapest its been in the humble store today, and I remember some people in this thread saying it was good. I love me some procedural death labyrinth-y games like Spelunky, FTL, BoI, Dredmor, Risk of Rain, Rogue Legacy, etc., should I buy it?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
RIP my hopes for another, even better Sleepy Dogs. I will cry bitter tears with a memorial pork bun in hand.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Blue Steam? Ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ugkg9RePc

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I have regressed to being a teenager again and have been playing entirely too much cs:go.

Steam's discovery queue is, 10 times out of 11, lovely free to play shooters. I didn't even like TF2, c'mon valve.

The last one is always a Arma/CoD/Battlefield/generic zombie game.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Public service announcement: Since everybody is probably swimming in copies of Risk of Rain now, they fixed a bug recently in the new update that had broken leveling, which had made it nearly impossible to get past a few levels. It's still a tough game of course, but if you tried it and found it super frustrating give it another go now, maybe you'll get farther.

Also I got 2 1 copies for goons, add me if you would like one :): http://steamcommunity.com/id/logan5_/

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 31, 2014

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
You know I don't really have any intention of playing Alien: Isolation, being not a big fan of horror games and generally uninterested in the descriptions of the gameplay, but drat if I didn't enjoy any time you've posted screenshots Palpek. It really looks like they nailed the look/atmosphere of the Alien franchise.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Niggurath posted:

So is there not a discount anymore for Issac: Rebirth? I still see one for the soundtrack but not for the game itself?

The loyalty discount was only for the preorder, and since the game came out at 10 PST that's over. Sorry bud.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

victrix posted:

Dawn of Discovery Gold/Anno 1404 is 40% off, http://store.steampowered.com/sub/3047/ at $9. I doubt it'll be a daily, given Anno 2070 is on sale today and it's really old.

That said, 1404 is amazing, one of my favorite builders ever. It's charming, relaxing, and there's a great fan patch out there that fixes a ton of quests, little quirks, spelling/grammar translation issues, and adds very useful in-game build order references.

If you like builders, give it a try. If you've never tried one, this is one of the best.

Endless Legend IS a daily today, and it's a great fantasy empire builder. If you like civ style games, it's quite worth it. Their last game Endless Space was a bit of a mess, but their two recent games (all set in the same universe) are fun - this and Dungeon of the Endless.

I'll agree with this, buy the Gold edition for Venice too, its worth it. You're probably safe from a higher discount too because since it was added back to the store it hasnt sold for more than 40% off, even if 2070 is 75% off. Also if you have Enhanced Steam and are wary of the big red banner that warns of the 3rd party infamously bad Tages DRM, dont worry that is dated and no longer applies.

Although I'd hesitate to call it a building game exactly. I mean, there is a lot of that starting out, but the focus for most of the game seems more to be trading and resource management. Make sure to get the big community mod patch of course too, and you only need to install and play the Venice version I believe.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Wow, streaming works flawlessly so far. I'm assuming this is going to be some serious twitch competition in the future? Except with a big Valve cut, of course...

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
For the first time ever after clicking yes to a steam restart for an update (albeit accidentally), steam has broken

"Failed to load steamui.dll"

Welp. Anything I can do or should I wait for a fix?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Nullset posted:

Add "-clientbeta client_candidate" to the Target field of your Steam shortcut (C:\Steam\Steam.exe -clientbeta client_candidate) and it should update and work again.

Freak Futanari posted:

You can also go to Steam/Package and delete the 'beta' file and it will work again, but you have to opt back into the beta.

Ah yes, I did opt into the beta for the streaming, completely forgot.

Freedom is shortlived apparently.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

CJacobs posted:

Steam is making GBS threads the loving bed for me atm but conveniently this is also how I learned that the friends tab now tells you when it's trying to connect:

instead of just being like "fuckin steam is down who even knows when it'll be back up we'll keep trying to connect pinky swear".

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yay someone is ddosing steam.

Actually when it was down my friendslist window had a message about routine maintenance. Dunno if that was true or not, should've gotten a screenshot.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Davincie posted:

i think people can still see what games you play if you put it on offline mode on your profile page. i've been using that idle program to get cards so i can sell them and i've noticed the games still appear on your profile page

That's offline from your friendslist/steam community, not offline mode. Offline mode you can access by clicking on Steam button in the very top left corner and is on the dropdown menu. It runs steam free of any internet connection (and you are limited to what games you already have downloaded and installed).

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Stan Taylor posted:

Is there a thread/steam group for goons to play random multiplayer pickup games? It'd be cool to see if anyone wants to play like, UT2K4 or some cool game and not have to play with garbage people.

Drunk Tomato posted:

This has been tossed around here and there, and is a great idea, but never really come to fruition. You should make a thread and see if there's any interest.

Everblight posted:

Best idea (we used to do this back on XBox when metatags were a thing) would be to make a group called "The Weekly Old" or something, and just each week declare an old game to be the thing we're all gonna play for the week, so people have some sort of direction in their pickup games. It also gets you to digitally dust off your copies of stuff you forgot even had multiplayer.

Drunk Tomato posted:

I think a SA thread would be best, honestly. I never pay attention to Steam groups.

Well there's my interest check done for me. I'd been kicking around the idea of doing a co-op thread for a while, since my library is getting bloated with games that are apparently fun to play online/co-op but I dont have cool pc gamer irl friends and/or their online communities are dead. I was considering posting it after the sale was over and everybody had finished loading up with the steam meta-game, but I guess I should maybe do it earlier?

I got a long list of co-op and multiplayer games that'd be likely candidates, and like half an OP written up, but I'm still unsure if it should just be for finding co-op buddies or have like a game of week/month where everybody tries to play one game together for maximum playerbase/goon dickery. Or both? And I was uncertain whether Games or Private Game Servers would be a better place for it.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Stan Taylor posted:

I have really sporadic game time, most weeknights after 9 EST I can play for a few hours, but most game nights I've seen on other sites are done by the time I get situated after getting back from work. Loosely scheduled regular game nights would be great though where people can decide what to play around a specific time, maybe have a rotating catalog of games if you want to be a bit more rigorous.

That's fine, I figure it'll be real loosey-goosey anyway, loads of people have sporadic game times, and time zones for that matter. It really depends on the game too, for some it'll only be goons looking to co-op 1 on 1 with each other (:pervert:), but for others we'll probably be trying to get bunches of people together to :goon: some poor old multiplayer game's servers so we'll need more concrete times and such.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, bit of a weird request, but what the hell...

I'm looking to spend about $10 for something, but I can't figure out what to get. I'd be happy to hear opinions of some stuff I have on my wishlist (even if what you're suggesting is more, that's ok, especially if it'll likely be on sale before Jan 2nd), so I can make a good decision. By the same token, if something sucks, let me know? I need to trim it down anyway. Some games are on there for nostalgic reasons (UT2K4, the GTAs, Simcity 4), but others I added so I'd remember them after going through a few Steam recommendations. But as you all know, some games that look good might not be at all.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/robot_cousin//wishlist

Edit: Just Fyi, I'm leaning towards Olliolli.

A lot of your wishlist will be probably be on sale at some point before Jan. 2, so I'd wait so you can get the most bang for your buck. That being said you should absolutely buy Spelunky. Shame you missed Binding of Isaac: Rebirth's sale though, that was absolutely worth the $10.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

mr. nobody posted:

We might have hit peak sale when spending an extra 1.50 is a 'shame'.

:lol: It's still absolutely worth full price. But this is the steam thread man, those extra $1.50's add up to another game on daily/flash/community sale :homebrew:

\/\/\/\/ holy poo poo, why would they think that would be good idea?

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 23, 2014

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Kanfy posted:

With that hour amount they've definitely gotten their money's worth out of it.

Might as well craft a badge for it, it'll basically pay for itself! - http://www.steamcardexchange.net/index.php?gamepage-appid-339800

:psyduck:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Zombie Samurai posted:

I know that Windows is a really exciting subject and all but Ziggurat is the daily deal at half off and oh my God everyone should get it. If you've missed me gushing about it before it's an FPS version of Binding of Isaac with Hexen stylings. There's a shitload of character classes, weapons, and perks to unlock as you play, and the combat is varied and challenging.

Listen to this post. If you want a FPS roguelite, Ziggurat and Tower of Guns are the only two worth it at the moment. I recently beat the end boss of Ziggurat for the first and man it was some good video game times.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Kind of surprised with the advent of greenlight and early access that there arent more games that try mimic some part of Earthbound's particular aesthetic. Are LISA and Citizens of Earth the only ones?

Also Earthbound chat interrupting anime tit chat in the steam thread was the last thing I expected.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Uhh, to be fair to Nerd3 (who is at least less annoying than most other "popular Youtube stars" or whatever the gently caress they are imho) that article misrepresents that video horribly. The only thing he's doing is removing his curator page in protest of steam's EA/greenlight/let-every-poo poo-game-in model, not abandoning using steam entirely as the title suggests. It still comes off like impotent, unimportant ego-driven nerd rage, but in general the criticisms he has are some of the ones I see in this thread all the time :shrug:

also his curation page will be through humble so he isnt going to make any money through it, just name-recognition I guess. Honestly doesn't seem that bad to me, the article is just good 'ole lovely vidya game "journalism" making something out of nothing

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

corn in the bible posted:

who gives a poo poo?

that pretty much sums it up I guess

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, cool. Does this mean that TJ&E are just not part of a bundle? They should be! :argh:

There are 5 bundles of Genesis "classics" on Steam, and no Toejam & Earl isnt part of any of them unfortunately.

I don't know if it was ever on Steam though but Amazon has the SEGA 48-Game Mega Arcade Pack, which includes all of the games in the 5 classics bundles plus all the Sonic games and the Toejam & Earl games. Its got a hefty price tag but I know for a fact that during sales it has gone down to $9.99 or even $4.99 before, which isn't a bad deal for a buttload of nostalgia I guess.

e:fb

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's not even in the Internet Archive's genesis library which sucks. I have, I think, 4 of the 5 genesis packs on Steam which is plenty of games but they managed to wait until the very last pack to collect the phantasy star games :|

From what I remember, the actual rights of TJ&E reverted back to the creators which is why Sega hasn't done anything with them since.

I just looked it up and yes, the creator owns the rights not Sega. Apparently one of his inspirations was Rogue, which I never knew but should probably have guessed now that I'm an adult. All I knew as a kid was that it was my favorite sega game and I loved that funky music.

I also learned that they made a 3rd game I never even heard about. For the Xbox.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Kibayasu posted:

Bad Lieutenant is also a legitimately okay to good movie in addition to having Nic Cage.

Its a Werner Herzog film.

Its also pretty batshit, I'd recommend it if you're into Cage and that sort of thing.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Propaganda Hour posted:

In a startling move today that shocked many financial experts, Greece has moved away from the Euro and on to Steambux.

And we thought that gems would replace the ruble, how short sighted of us

:retrogames:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I love how mentioning Terraria or Stabound in the thread is like summoning the undying hate of virtualboyCOLOR

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Phetz posted:

Same here, it's so dang good and everyone should grab it if they like FPSes or Binding of Isaac or colorful sparkly magic stuff. I love the pace at which you unlock new perks and items; it feels like every time I die I unlock at least something.

Ziggurat is a Good Game tm

I'd also recommend anyone who likes the gameplay try Tower of Guns, the only other good fps roguelite I can think of.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Nuebot posted:

So "Rogue-like" games on steam are a horribly mixed bunch. I loving love FTL and Binding of Isaac. Even when I lose in those games it rarely feels flat out unfair, in the case of FTL usually it was just a bad choice or in isaac I just got hit too much. When I win, it feels fun because I beat a hard game. Liking these I tend to consider suggestions for rogue-likes when people compare them to those two which has led to me buying a lot of games that are not good. Maybe I'm wrong for assuming otherwise, but apparently "rogue-like" to most people just means flat out unfair because most of the ones on steam that I've played just sort of flip you off and can be unwinnable from the get-go. Maybe I'm just bad at those games in particular, but it never felt like I could have done anything different in the situations I was in and when I'm dying in the first stage because the game gave me nothing but healing items and I couldn't even fight back against enemies. It just feels hosed up.

Risk of Rain, Spelunky, Ziggurat, Tower of Guns, Dungeons of Dredmor, Dungeon of the Endless, Crypt of the NecroDancer, Nuclear Throne, Teleglitch. Don't Starve maybe. If one of those doesn't scratch your itch I don't know what to tell you.

I remember seeing preview stuff for this a while ago and thought it actually looked cool, anybody tried Apotheon yet?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
no

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
So Cities: Skylines is an actual city builder a la Sim City? I feel like they should've named it differently, I honestly thought it was part of the Cities XL franchise.

And speaking of games coming out this year I noticed SPAZ 2 when I got curious about the coming soon list. The first SPAZ was an enjoyable enough spaceship game, albeit a bit rough around the edges, but the 2nd one looks like they polished their ideas up a lot. Also I'm a sucker for giant gently caress off space battles.

• Locked thread