Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Sickening posted:

Pretty poor taste. I don't think I would attend. They shouldn't be throwing you a going away party when you are getting laid off.

This reminds me:

A few jobs ago, I was working for a firm that had the tech/dev stuff in one office in the west coast and the business / marketing stuff on the east coast. IBM Global Services shows up one day and says that they can do it cheaper if $firm outsourced all tech to them.

So three hundred of us (60% of the workforce) are called into a conference room to be told we were all fired and the west coast office closed but anyone who wanted could apply for their old job as it now stands with IBM.

Then this cocksucker CEO, after firing all of us, says quote, “So moving on to the health of the company, we are in good shape, with a healthy growth and margins increasing.”

The groans and muttering in the crowd got pretty loud.

How tone deaf can c-levels possibly get?

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Agrikk posted:

This reminds me:

A few jobs ago, I was working for a firm that had the tech/dev stuff in one office in the west coast and the business / marketing stuff on the east coast. IBM Global Services shows up one day and says that they can do it cheaper if $firm outsourced all tech to them.

So three hundred of us (60% of the workforce) are called into a conference room to be told we were all fired and the west coast office closed but anyone who wanted could apply for their old job as it now stands with IBM.

Then this cocksucker CEO, after firing all of us, says quote, “So moving on to the health of the company, we are in good shape, with a healthy growth and margins increasing.”

Pretty sure this is textbook sociopathy.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Agrikk posted:

This reminds me:

"Company prospectus looks great. Please exercise your options before the door hits your rear end on the way out."

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Agrikk posted:

Always glad to hear this sort of madness isn't unique.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Not gonna lie, this job I’m waiting to hear on concerns me because I would be reporting to the CFO.

Forgot to say in this thread (I think) but I got a final offer from a company and start on Monday. If I get this other offer I’ll ditch it though. They probably wouldn’t even want two weeks since I would be training still at that point.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hey, congrats! It's great that you already have something lined up. Reporting directly to a CFO was fairly common back in the day, but these days, yeah, it's a bit of a red flag. Pretty sweet that you have options, though.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Internet Explorer posted:

Pretty sweet that you have options, though.

Unless you are me at the above $firm where we had options we could exercise but the day of our IPO we launched at $15 share and by the end of the first day of trading we were at $9.

When we were all laid off we were at $7.

The company was finally acquired for $5 a share.

I imagine CEO and NewCEO got all of their bonuses, though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I would technically be part of finance as basically the liaison between finance and tech for the ERP system. I’d be fully technical in role, but focused on the accounting part of the ERP system.

I think he meant options in places to work, unless you were making a joke about work options/stock options.

It’s a pretty young company so it’s not huge, I would be working mainly with five people in the finance department. Still weird that I would be at the same level on the org chart as the controller though.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 26, 2019

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Agrikk posted:

Unless you are me at the above $firm where we had options we could exercise but the day of our IPO we launched at $15 share and by the end of the first day of trading we were at $9.

When we were all laid off we were at $7.

The company was finally acquired for $5 a share.

I imagine CEO and NewCEO got all of their bonuses, though.

I'm glad I've missed out on all that sort of fun.

Yeah, I meant options for Eargesplitten, but yeah. :butt:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I would technically be part of finance as basically the liaison between finance and tech for the ERP system. I’d be fully technical in role, but focused on the accounting part of the ERP system.

I think he meant options in places to work, unless you were making a joke about work options/stock options.

It’s a pretty young company so it’s not huge, I would be working mainly with five people in the finance department. Still weird that I would be at the same level on the org chart as the controller though.

Oh, that's not bad then. Either way, congrats on finding a place.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Due to organizational quirks here, I'm the same distance away from the CEO as a number of VP's on the org chart. It has it's perks though, last year my wife and I got invited to a charity gala where the per table cost was as much as I make in 3 months.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Oh. Options as in “possible opportunities” not stock poo poo.

Good for you then! :)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Fool posted:

Due to organizational quirks here, I'm the same distance away from the CEO as a number of VP's on the org chart. It has it's perks though, last year my wife and I got invited to a charity gala where the per table cost was as much as I make in 3 months.

That’s pretty cool. The company is HQed in NYC and I would be working remote so that sort of thing wouldn’t happen but that’s good for you.

I would hope that wouldn’t happen at a non-profit anyway, but who knows.

Not sure whether working at the average non-profit is better or worse than working at a non-profit college, at least all of the reputable colleges are non-profit so there’s a model for success aside from “spend no money on anyone but C-levels.”

And hey, benefit of your planned career change InternetExplorer, maybe you can get out of management and become a member of the DSA.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 26, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Agrikk posted:

This reminds me:

So how many different sets of fingerprints were on the murder weapon that killed that CEO? I bet every potential suspect involved had absolutely rock-solid alibis from a couple dozen different people apiece...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Tetramin posted:

I’m handling the entire IT portion of one of our locations moving buildings. They handed this to me like 3 weeks after I started here and I feel like I’m dropping the ball over and over. Really it’s not my fault, but having a rushed order for the ATT circuit with a 4 month buildout, that got finished early, they didn’t supply a router(I figured we’d get a modem but nope), and now I have to wait for att to get us equipment before we can test and turn up. The people at the site are going straight to the CTO with half-true information which is causing tons of confusion with management and people yelling at me over ATTs poo poo.

Really loving stressful and I’m not in any position to fix any of it in a timely manner(right now!!). The move is scheduled for 5/10 lol so I really don’t get why they’re going over our heads to say “everything must be ready yesterday” and passing along snippets of emails.... Our director of infrastructure has know what’s going on the entire time and is trying his best to stop this broken communication but they will not listen. loving frustrating and wanted to complain somewhere. Thanks.

Hey moving buddy! I'm a similar boat. Moving is stressful. We're moving back to our still-under-renovation building.
Nothing is completed and everything is held up due to construction.
Everyone is freaking the gently caress out that we don't have stuff set up, but we can't do anything because we can't even get into our space to actually populate the server racks.
The building is not networked yet because the low voltage contractors can't finish their work until the main contractors get out of there.
I managed to get Verizon in to install FiOS but we are still working on getting them to transform the rest of our POTS lines.
COX and RCN have scheduled installation dates for their stuff.
The only real service provider hiccough is Windstream not getting on the loving ball and ordering a transformation of their PRI with the last mile provider; Verizon.
We can't do it because we aren't VZ's customer for this circuit. Windstream is loving clueless and doesn't even realize the circuit no longer exists (copper was ripped out of the building) and they just keep sending a tech out to 'repair the circuit.

The real kicker is that the person in charge of the elevators is all pissy because they can't be put into use until they have a phone line for the emergency phone.
I have the service for the phones ready to go, but I have no way of getting it to the elevator because there is no handoff to run a phone line to. And yet the person keeps blaming IT because "there's no phone lines for the elevator" when really they just need to get off their lazy rear end and have the elevator company punch down a jack in the elevator room for me to run a phone line to. I guess they'd rather just complain about it though.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

One of our engineers was flown out to assist with an office move for a client, they are moving up or down a few floors in the same building.

They did not engage us to assist at all with planning.

They didn't deal with their ISP for the move so they have no internets in the new office, currently our engineer is working with the low voltage contractor to try to run fiber from their old office to the new one so they can continue using the old service till the new one gets turned up.

I am very glad I am not dealing with this.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This topic is super loving triggering. I've done more than my share of office moves in my day and they all sucked.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Hey moving buddy! I'm a similar boat. Moving is stressful. We're moving back to our still-under-renovation building.

I swear I've spent my entire career doing data center/to-or-from the cloud/office moves. Usually for good reason. But still, it would be nice to take a loving breath and just be in a place for a while before I'm ripping everything up to move it again.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Nothing is completed and everything is held up due to construction.
Everyone is freaking the gently caress out that we don't have stuff set up, but we can't do anything because we can't even get into our space to actually populate the server racks.
The building is not networked yet because the low voltage contractors can't finish their work until the main contractors get out of there.
I managed to get Verizon in to install FiOS but we are still working on getting them to transform the rest of our POTS lines.
COX and RCN have scheduled installation dates for their stuff.
The only real service provider hiccough is Windstream not getting on the loving ball and ordering a transformation of their PRI with the last mile provider; Verizon.
We can't do it because we aren't VZ's customer for this circuit. Windstream is loving clueless and doesn't even realize the circuit no longer exists (copper was ripped out of the building) and they just keep sending a tech out to 'repair the circuit.

The real kicker is that the person in charge of the elevators is all pissy because they can't be put into use until they have a phone line for the emergency phone.
I have the service for the phones ready to go, but I have no way of getting it to the elevator because there is no handoff to run a phone line to. And yet the person keeps blaming IT because "there's no phone lines for the elevator" when really they just need to get off their lazy rear end and have the elevator company punch down a jack in the elevator room for me to run a phone line to. I guess they'd rather just complain about it though.

:shepface:
Lol, good lord that sounds like a shitshow.

:blastu: anybody who suddenly decides they need a 'change of scenery' for the office and barely plans or communicates.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"We're moving this weekend, that's enough notice to move four different dedicated ethernet circuits isn't it?"

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Thanks Ants posted:

"We're moving this weekend, that's enough notice to move four different dedicated ethernet circuits isn't it?"

Oh man. I'm not even on the network team, but Facilities and Real Estate come up with the plans to move offices or consolidate and NEVER consult with the IT department. They always seem shocked when we tell them we need 6 to 9 months notice.

It takes a long time to get circuits, or equipment in certain areas. We have like 85 offices across the world. It takes FOREVER to get things like an internet circuit in Manaus Brazil, or a new network connection setup through AT&T in South Africa or Shenzhen China. Even in the US you're looking at 90 days usually for the AT&T circuits we order.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I worked through the night moving a comms room at an old job nearly ten years ago, and ended up in an almost shouting level argument with my line manager the next morning because he was crying about how people moving their offices around meant it would hit his budgets or he'd have to spend his time physically moving the drops.

I assume there was some corporate bullshit that meant just doing nothing about things you've not been told about would still come back and reflect badly on him, but gently caress dealing with that. Oh you're moving office and want network drops moved? Ok, I'll get a cabling contractor to quote the job for your approval. You've moved and now have no network? Ok, I'll get a cabling contractor to quote for the job and mention that it's urgent. God knows why he felt personally responsible for repeatedly digging people out of holes they've made for themselves.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

.....(Insert any telecom company here) is loving clueless.....

FTFY

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
My favourite move when I was an on-site tech was 100 PCs from one building to another, 2 minutes down the road. It got very spicy when we were installing PCs in rooms where builders were still putting up plasterboards. Was very fun walking into a room you'd just finished setting up to find the builders had taken it all apart to remove an old radiator. Or a room you'd just finished setting up and happened to walk passed to find it locked with a sign saying "DONT ENTER, WASP NEST."

Also no working toilet in the whole building. It took 3 days to finish. Shout out to the estates department everywhere.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Anyone have some suggestions about good interview questions to ask. I'm on the panel to interview some new people for the service desk. Me, my co worker and my boss. I've already got, "Whats the best way to deliver bad news to a user?" and "Whats your proudest professional achievment and why?" Anyone else have some suggestions?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Couple that with the fact that Windstream CLEARLY doesn't give a poo poo and also they're going bankrupt.
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/02/windstream-isp-with-1-million-customers-files-for-bankruptcy/

I would just port the numbers over to a new provider but the last time I did that it took over 8 months and a lawsuit to actually get them.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

LionYeti posted:

Anyone have some suggestions about good interview questions to ask. I'm on the panel to interview some new people for the service desk. Me, my co worker and my boss. I've already got, "Whats the best way to deliver bad news to a user?" and "Whats your proudest professional achievment and why?" Anyone else have some suggestions?

If it’s service desk ask them how they get information from a user and what their troubleshooting procedure is.

“Printer doesn’t work” from the user can mean a whooooole bunch of things not even related to printing because what the user only knows is that when they want to print it doesn’t do so.

Maybe ask for an example they had empathy for the users issue. Empathy is the biggest thing help desk techs need. So many people hate calling IT because there’s the stereotype of disgruntled ITmen who hate the user

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

LionYeti posted:

Anyone have some suggestions about good interview questions to ask. I'm on the panel to interview some new people for the service desk. Me, my co worker and my boss. I've already got, "Whats the best way to deliver bad news to a user?" and "Whats your proudest professional achievement and why?" Anyone else have some suggestions?

The second q is one of those fluffy BS questions but that's just me I guess. Should be covered when you go over their resume and ask them to elaborate if needed. I'm assuming technical qualifications are already covered based on the listed questions, but if they aren't get some basic q's in there. I generally try to do a few questions of increasing complexity in each category that they'll be expected to support to try and get at least a vague idea of their proficiency levels. Something like a basic question about how you'd hook up an IP phone and a computer through a single wall jack, how would you troubleshoot one based on some typical error messages (like failing to register), and if they can do that then maybe some question about more advanced functions if relevant like using hunt groups, call forwarding, etc. or if they're familiar with doing basic user administration/tshooting on the management console.

For a service desk job I like to role play as a user in a few scenarios to see how they react to typical scenarios. Can they be patient and explain something basic to the slow and excruciatingly dim without being condescending? Do they get flustered or react poorly to the overbearing rear end in a top hat type? If they are socially retarded they are probably going to suck at service desk and it's good to find that out in advance. Should ideally be a sympathetic person with basic social skills.

Also good to find out if they are interested in ladder climbing or happy with just being service desk. I like to give climbers a chance to prove themselves and touch more interesting stuff when projects come up that give the opportunity.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 27, 2019

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

LionYeti posted:

Lots of Personality questions. Teaching the technical stuff is easy. Can't teach them to be polite and helpful. I prefer customer service backgrounds to technical backgrounds.

I don't have specific questions handy, but try to get a feel if they're comfortable reaching out to co-workers for things they don't know, or escalating issues when needed. I've seen people spend a ton of time trying to figure things out or not escalating when they should have. It's OK to ask for help and to kick it up the ladder if needed.
There's the classic "C level puts in a ticket for something minor but the warehouse guy can't do his job and product isn't getting shipped" type scenario question and how they handle that.

Empathy is huge like GHWC mentioned. Logical thinking, positive attitude. People who call their users "lusers" and rib on non technical folks that need help set me off. Everyone in a company has an important role to play, no time for that BS.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I have never heard this, who the gently caress says that?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MF_James posted:

Great, now I feel old.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

MF_James posted:

Slashdot users circa 1997. Maybe earlier, by then I think it was already pretty widely mocked.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

loser manager dot msc

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I’m sorry we have a code id10t here.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

guppy posted:

Slashdot users circa 1997. Maybe earlier, by then I think it was already pretty widely mocked.
PEBCAK, am I right?

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I’m in a development group but my bosses approach I think would work for other IT stuff and I love it.

He writes down a couple fairly vague sentences like “I want a thing that does <random task> and I want it to be fast” and let’s them ask questions or talk. So many people in tech jump immediately to solution. Some way of finding out if they do the 5 Ws at all. There are a surprising number of people, even managers we interviewed, that don’t even ask questions about what “thing” is or why we need “thing”. N’thing the personality stuff about how they handle dumb questions. I worked helpdesk when I started and people almost always came directly to me for help because I wouldn’t treat them like idiots.

stuxracer fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 28, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

MF_James posted:

Microsoft.

lusrmgr.msc

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Vulture Culture posted:

PEBCAK, am I right?

Seems to be a Layer 8 problem.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Thanks Ants posted:

shouting level argument with my line manager the next morning because he was crying about how people moving their offices around meant it would hit his budgets
gently caress careerists.

The #1 sign of a bad boss is one that cares more about their own metrics than protecting the people under them. I will work my rear end off for someone that will cover when needed.

If I get a new boss that wants to look good and will throw subordinates under the bus, I'll work to the bare minimum and only do what I'm required to do to.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Man I was very excited to blow senior managements mind with this 5G lan high level design I put together but someone already pitched the idea after seeing a draft of my presentation. Really takes the wind out of my sails. At least now I know they're on board with the pilot program. I was supposed to present it weeks ago but between management and mine schedule it never worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LochNessMonster posted:

Seems to be a Layer 8 problem.

ID-10-T error.