Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I don't know if this is a bullshit chatbox thread or actually useful for advice, but I'll try anyway. I already have a bachelor's degree in a technical field and am currently working for a computer infrastructure company after having to switch fields. It turns out I really enjoy what I'm doing and am considering going back to school for a second Bachelor's (or more?) in IT, specifically systems or network engineering. I am also considering programming though I have zero background in that beyond some HTML 15 years ago.

This may be broad and I know I will have to discuss my specifics with potential schools, but what would I need to look at when choosing an education path towards higher-level IT stuff coming from a background with essentially no engineering or computer classes? What should I look for in terms of online classes to actually learn anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Thanks for all the help guys! I'm going to ask around at work and see what kind of options I may have if I decide to get certs instead of a cs degree in addition.

I went through the Cert thread and have a few questions. My employer may pay for some of these (I need to ask) but what career level/pay grade can I expect if I start with just A+ and N+ certifications? I currently do sales support for enterprise server solutions (like I said, starting over in a different industry) -- what would be a good path of certs to go down when dealing with the largest stuff from EMC and Cisco?

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 30, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Thanks, what certs should I look into first?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I explained how xbmc works to my father in law today. Well, I basically said it was magic but he seemed impressed. Yesterday he used aol search on our laptop. Am I qualified to work in it now?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Methanar posted:

Did anyone else get nailed with fixing family computers this Christmas?

I took it upon myself to GPO my mom out of internet explorer 8(!), gave her chrome, gave her the xkcd flow chart and set up regular backups of her pictures to a secondary hard drive.

The next time you go home she will have installed mcafee bloat ware and aol.

A couple years ago we bought my father in law a new laptop to replace his early 2000s IBM think pad. Guess which one he still used?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
The resume service is good. Do not pay for the cover letter or linked in help, neither were useful at all. I will use their resume people again when it's time to update.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

SaltLick posted:

I am hot garbage at cover letter writing so I've considered just posting a job description on Craigslist and letting the cover letters come to me.

I gave the LinkedIn service to my girlfriend and after looking at it it's just a broken up resume in each of the relevant sections. If you have the money go ahead but I would say it's one of their weaker services

That's all it is, plus signing you up for groups. Not worth it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Is there a goon LinkedIn group other than Stairmasters specific to IT/computers?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Is this the thread for being the family computer guy? In laws laptop was on Firefox 10.0.2 and has aol dashboard installed. They pay for a monthly tuneup service. Help.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

The Fool posted:

If you want help with the computer, check out haus of tech support. If you want advice on the best whiskey to help with coping, you're in the right place.

Old grandad would be appropriate both in whiskey and company. Old crow too.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Would powershell be a good starting point to jump into coding or should you begin with something else for this framework?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
There's no excuse for using a dumb phone when you can get full featured smart phones for $40 on sale every day.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

evol262 posted:

Do you mean the "$40 with a 2 year contract" phones, or really $40, unlocked?

Really $40 no strings attached. Pay as you go no contract plans are awesome, check the gadget subforum.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I'm not sure what the unixbeards and ccies here earn but their billable hours are outrageous.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm slowly starting to go insane from Dell Support's hold music. Help.

Try calling vce sometime.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Prescription Combs posted:

What a prick. Serious reality distortion field.

Don't worry he probably didn't have to give up his stock options.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Network engineer I
Requirements: 5 years experience

Kiss me arse.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
My rear end is out the door at 5:00 every drat day. I'm already there for 9 hours and happy to work then, and nobody is ever going to say " you stayed till 5:10 here's a raise."

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Tab8715 posted:

Nearly 99.95% of people that have told me they work 60h/80h weeks are flat out lying with one my past supervisors the biggest offenders. He constantly moaned how much work he did to guilt-trip everyone into putting more hours but as network admins we knew his afternoons mostly consisted of him streaming ESPN Golf.

This is the same as people who schedule endless meetings and phone calls every day and then complain they can't get any work done duhhhhhhh

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Leave now and don't go back. The only person looking out for your interests is you. You will find a better job and you should also seek counseling because suicide US not the answer.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I hope that guy quit his job because with ten years experience he probably deserves a raise anyway.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I just had an awesome interview, wish me goon luck. Before I got my ccna I struggled to ever get any responses but I've applied for maybe ten jobs in the last month and heard from 5 and interviewed with three.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
To be fair he probably called the revenue and didn't know there was competition. Prices do change regularly from disty.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I have a second interview with a company next week and am reviewing routing and switching after not studying it at all since February and holy hell have I forgotten a lot!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Got a verbal offer yesterday now today is slower than ever while I wait for the written offer. Of course it's right before a long weekend when nobody wants to do any work.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

crunk dork posted:

This is kind of what I thought. I definitely need to meet more dudes doing what I do, would be good to have people to bounce questions off of too.

On the topic of army bosses, my current CTO is like that. He can be cool sometimes I guess, but he has this super lovely confrontational attitude and a very abrasive personality. Straight up told all of us that if he calls our cell phone there better be a drat good reason if we don't answer, like being in the ICU. Pretty sure I don't have to talk to anyone from work period unless I'm at work or on call.

During my second week there he told all of us that if we don't get our billable hours up in the next couple weeks he would have to fire half of the staff, which makes me wonder about the current state of company finances.

What's your email address?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

crunk dork posted:

Check your PM

Buy me pms and I'll check it lol.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Put in my two weeks notice today. New job is my first real it position; 25 percent pay bump, cert training path, and what looks to be a good place to work.

Nice to finally be sought after, had a lot of interviews and had to turn some down.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Giving your salary out is a great way to be lowballed and there is no benefit unless you are so in demand that you get to name your price anyway.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Vulture Culture posted:

Dirty secret: there are a lot of skills out there where having any experience with them at all, and any ability to speak competently about them at all, makes you so in demand that you get to name your price. If you're posting here, you're probably one of them.

Being on the job market is basically sales. You need to have an elevator pitch, and you need to be able to distill what you can offer down to the relevant points for whoever you're talking to. This is honestly more important than actual technical competence.

One weird trick to a huge payday: you won't believe what this goon did l@@k#!!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
You're basically saying if you have in-depth technical knowledge and the experience to demonstrate it that you can hold out for the offer you want. I agree with that. However you also have to start somewhere and gain that experience, which is where keeping your salary history secret is important in not getting fuckedby a penny pinching hr goon.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
The job I'm leaving let me take either. Christmas eve or the day after Christmas off last year since Christmas was on a Thursday. Since our family is 5-8 hour drive I took neither(would have spent the whole time with my in-laws and not seen my family at all due to the way we celebrate the holidays.). We also has to work new years eve. Guess what the slowest days of the year were?

My new spot has 8 holidays and plenty of pto so hooray for the yotj!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

myron cope posted:

Putting in my notice tomorrow. I'm nervous. Not if I'm making the right decision, just about how the actual resignation is going to go. I went with two weeks after my vacation as my last day. I'm fairly confident they'll just say ok but I've never gone through one of these.

Wgats the worst that will happen, they ask you to stay the two weeks?

If they tell you to leave now will it really matter? Goon luck.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I'm in the last week at my old job. Actual productive work today was maybe five minutes. The remainder of the time has been spent studying for certs for the new job.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
One week in and I feel like a huge idiot for not knowing ccnp-level material. Long road ahead!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Actually I've been doing ccnp security stuff without ever having studied it at all. I would be all over a frame relay ticket right now instead of router certs.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
"Handling" may be too positive of a word for what I've done. I'm worried I'm going to end up the subject of a "it nightmares" thread in this forum.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

crunk dork posted:

Getting to even touch that stuff still seems far out of each for me so I'm sure you're doing a good rear end job

Well I guess I'm not an idiot because the owner tried to do thus today and ultimately opened a case with Cisco so yay.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Goongrats man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Feel less dumb by the day especially when the ccie helping me with an issue was also confused.