Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Bob Morales posted:

Super-stupid and random question.

We have an 800 number. 800-XYZCORP. No big deal, right?

Well another company with a similar name to use has almost the same number. 888-XYZCORP

Guess who 25% of our phone calls are for? The other company.

Any suggestions? They won't let use use an auto-attendant which would solve this problem.

Contact the other company with an offer to redirect those 25% of calls back to them at a flat per call rate :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

Working in a technical role is really fun, but there's obviously a certain level of fine skills maintenance (especially learning the ins and outs of new technologies) that I'm sure would get difficult to balance with a family.

Instead of reading little Billy the bedtime story "Three Little Pigs", you read him "Pop and Push goes the MPLS Label".

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Sepist posted:

Are companies in DC area willing to help attain a security clearance for the right candidate? I am aiming for pre-sales in the DC area for my next move but I don't want to screw myself over by not having the clearance already before applying in the area.

Security Clearances are held by an agency, not the company doing the work, so it's not Northrop / Lockheed / etc. The company then holds a contract that has a set of clearances attached to it.

If you don't have a clearance and a contractor hires you, it is based upon you obtaining whatever level clearance they require, but until your interm clearance comes back, you'll be sitting idle, but getting paid. Some contractor companies will "hire" you and start you on your paperwork, but not have you leave your current gig until your clearance comes back, but during this time you still are only paid by your current gig, not both.

And contrary to popular belief, the contractor company does not pay for the clearance, the government does.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I've decided I'm going to go the nepotism route for my next gig - gently caress education and certifications. I went to my family get-together yesterday and was talking with a cousin who just happens to be a GS and runs her own IT shop on another part of the base. They're looking for some folks who know Exchange, a little bit of Linux, some VMware, and Server 2008 R2, so when she found out where I was at she demanded some information on what I was doing and then smiled like the Cheshire Cat. She's going to ask around and start some balls rolling and will be getting back with me to let me know the results. The positions she mentioned were like GS11 Step 1 or GS12 positions, plus they only work M-F. It would be quite the accomplishment to go from a contractor to GS - I never thought I would have a possible opportunity like this come along. Ever.

Not to burst any bubbles, but you'll need to successfully beat OPM (Civilian HR) in order to get a GS position. While she can open a job requisition, she does not get to select candidates until OPM delivers her the top 5 candidates. From there, she has to disqualify down the list to get to you.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Glass of Milk posted:

This is not necessarily true anymore- http://www.giac.org/certifications/dodd-8570

Depending on the job requirements/category, you may be required to obtain some sort of certification.

You can be a DoD employee/contractor and hold no security clearance and you are still required to meet 8570 requirements.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I can't imagine meeting 8,570 different requirements, that much be such an exhausting checklist.

That's just the requirements to get a workstation :smug:

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

EIS is the new name now.

I think they keep changing it with the hope it allows them to escape the reputation associated with the old name (it doesn't work).

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Zero VGS posted:

They pay me back before 30 days so I don't pay interest, and like I was saying our company doesn't do company cards which is why they asked in the first place.

I should clarify, of course I'm replaceable, but they'd never make back the value they get from me. I'm not replaceable for my wage, we literally had interviewees with equal qualifications to mine laugh and walk when we told them what they'd start at (my wage).

Edit: I guess what I'm getting at is, I think the only reason they're not paying me what I ask is because they think they can get away with it. I was making 20/hr so I asked for a raise to 30, they gave me 25 instead of completely balking. Just like with the new job, I told them the offer was too low and they came back 5k higher. It's obnoxious how I can't know what's really on the table without these ultimatums.

How much are you floating for them monthly? Do you have hard/soft copies of approval for every purchase you make? If you don't, start getting them because they could just say they never authorized you to make the purchase when/if you decide to leave and have an outstanding balance.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
DoD Contractor here and we are salary w/flex time within same pay period only. If flexing time within same pay period isn't an option due to project timelines, etc then we bill OT, but it is at our effective hourly rate, not 1.5x. The OT option is essentially because it is illegal to do work for the government that is not paid for.

When I was at the CLEC/ISP I was salary with no OT or flex, but I never was hassled about leaving early if it was slow and still got a full 80hr paycheck and didn't have to use PTO/vacation. We really only got pushed to use PTO/vacation if we were taking consecutive days off that were planned.

That is the bonus of salary positions, sure you are expected to work more than 80hrs if necessary, but if it's slow, you still get your full 80hrs of pay when you duck out an hour or two early a couple days in a pay period.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's bullshit, there's no valid excuse for not being compensated for all your working hours as a salaried employee, that's called exploitation.

Work more efficiently and don't get taken advantage of.

Mechanics work in a similar manner. They bill a set rate for set hours on a job, if they take longer, that's on them, their loss. If they work faster and finish ahead of schedule, they still get the fixed amount and can start on the next job earlier.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

NippleFloss posted:

You should always, as an employee, be looking out for yourself.

This. 100x

Not matter how you are paid by a company, you are a line item on a budget and shouldn't expect the company to do what is in your best interest at any point in time.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

suprisingly most people just want to work 9-5 and give it up about any thing related to job... It's funny. I just want to help the people in the engineering but all they want to do is drink and go home. Can't blame them, most good engineers are alcoholics or fail to understand money/people/etc and focusing on what they love.

Jesus Christ.

Let's be real here, you don't want to "help" anyone. You want to make an attempt to show people how you think you know more than them.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

If most good engineers are alcoholics then it follows logically that drinking more will increase your chance of becoming a good engineer. Instead of wasting time with going to user groups and conferences you should just drink more.

This guy gets it! :rubshands:

H.R. Paperstacks fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 11, 2014

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

Finally got my start date at my new position (the 22nd). Now to tender my resignation at my old job, which should be easy because I haven't actually worked there since August of last year.

Where did you end up landing, still in DC/VA area?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

abigserve posted:

What makes this method better than expect or one of the perl ssh modules? From a quick read it seems like it makes the whole process more complicated while producing the exact same output.

The benefit is the automatic configuration backup and configuration change control, which is the primary goal of RANCID. All the necessary expect / tcl is built in and ready to roll right after install, so you don't have to be bothered with building the expect script for an IOS login, different command prompts at different privilege levels, etc. The ability to provide a list of commands to run across a set of devices is just an added perk.

I setup RANCID on our 3 different global networks and after some standardization with firewalls / acl structure / naming I went back and automated a lot of the daily tasks my O&M guys do. Since we run two large active/active datacenters, a typical network change request is done at both locations and prior to RANCID and tweaks, they would have to do the change request manually at both sites, now they just build a txt file and drop it in a directory and a cron picks it up and goes.

H.R. Paperstacks fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 23, 2014

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

I was talking to our SourceFire professional services engineer today while he was in for our scheduled session. Dude works from home most days, travels to client sites maybe 1-2 days a week, and travels all over the world. How the hell does one land a job like this?

They are hurting on the DoD/Federal side for SE's with active clearances. Plus now that Cisco owns them, they get all the telework with telepresence benefits that Cisco offers to employees.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Roargasm posted:

The first thing I did this morning was miss my mouth when I went to take a sip of coffee so bear with me here.

Can anyone help me trace mac addresses to a port on an Extreme switched L2/L3 network? I'm implementing a vlan for our IPCam network and need to find out where the cameras are coming into the access layer switches. The only local routes at the access layer are for my management vlan, so show fdb doesn't give me anything useful. I can pull up the full arp table, and see the mac addresses I'm looking for on the switch, but it's pointing me to the trunk port. Any way to find out where these things plug into the network without trial and error? All of the vlan routing is done at the main fiber switch and the environment is an x670 in the middle and fiber runs to x440s all around campus.

If Extreme doesn't support some type of Layer2-Trace, then you'll have to go hop-by-hop. If your core says it's on a trunk port, go to the switch on that trunk and repeat until you get a final local interface.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Scott AFB
Well there's your problem right there!

Scott AFB is awesome..........because I don't have to work there, just communicate with those that do :)

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Leadership was talking about their visit there a while back. Apparently the detachment office has a hole the size of a dryer in the side of the building that was fixed with some plywood being nailed up half-assed to (mostly) cover it. Equipment needs to be fumigated weekly to get rid of all the bugs, and not a day doesn't go by when someone doesn't try to kill the ever-present mice wandering the floor. Water drips from the ceiling, and the carpeting is so stained that mold has set in and the smell is atrocious.

Thanks, but I'll take lovely hours over that any day.

I don't know what building that is, but there are so many on Scott AFB. I know our building been way undersized but the new one is almost complete and everyone is scheduled to move April/May 2015.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
If a CCIE recommended running DHCP on any network device in an enterprise network, I'd promptly show him the door. I'd probably do the same for any "network" person who recommended it. There are better tools to get the job done.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Sickening posted:

As silly as the advice was lets try not to go off the deep end. Showing someone the door for this seems kind of... petty?

It's the typical "when all you got is a hammer, everything is a nail" syndrome. Failure to think outside the box.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Sickening posted:

:ironicat:

Or you could take a few minutes out of your busy day to be less of a robot and talk to the person about what a better solution would be. Even with the long list of things that I would probably fire someone over DHCP just doesn't seem to move the needle for me.

But I'm not paying CCIE rates to have a discussion about what a better solution to DHCP on a network device would be. It shouldn't have been offered as a solution in the first place.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Inspector_666 posted:

Are you really shocked that this thread is full of pedantic nerds with a style of administering that adheres to BCP?

Fixed that for you.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Nothing to see here, move along folks......... /nsa

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Gerdalti posted:

I think I'd like to setup a Wiki for documentation instead of the tons of word docs I've been using in the past.

What one do you guys find most competent for technical documentation?

We use a combination of MediaWiki and SharePoint. Anything that is static and/or rarely updated goes on the wiki and documents that multiple users make revisions to (Visio / Excel) we put on SharePoint. It's somewhat convoluted but I don't want to download/open Word every time I need to look up a circuit ID, which is often but the circuit ID's rarely change that it's easier to just edit the wiki.

I guess I could put everything that's static on the wiki on static pages within SharePoint, but that's just more reliance on our Windows / SharePoint group, which I don't trust very much.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

feedmegin posted:

Shocker, America is a dystopian corporate hellhole. I'm not sure I ever heard 'severance' in an American-company context.

It happens in American companies, typically when someone is laid-off vice getting fired or leaving on their own.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

CLAM DOWN posted:

So say if I work at a company for 10 years, I could be terminated for no reason at any time with no notice and no severance?!

Correct.

To play devils advocate: Why do you think you need any notice or severance, legal or otherwise?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

CLAM DOWN posted:

....because it's a pretty basic labour right. How are you asking this. Why do you think you need paid vacation, etc :psyduck:

But I paid you for the labor you did during those 10 years of employment. Why should I continue to pay you some portion thereof when I've decided to terminate our employment arrangement?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I'd say that in our industry staying 10 years in a company can be a detriment in job hunting, so a little float money wouldn't hurt. Sort of like professional alimony.

If you've been in a company for 10 years, there's a whole lot of mental unfuckery some people have to do during the social adjustment.

I agree, severance should be earned not required.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
I guess people don't get fired from jobs in places outside the US because employers are too burdened by the laws requiring them to pay out worthless candidates if they do? An employers only hope after hiring someone is that they find another employer to screw over and leave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

DigitalMocking posted:

That looks ok for team documentation, I'm looking for something to track network hardware, serials, cable plant, IPAM etc. We're currently using netdot https://osl.uoregon.edu/redmine/projects/netdot which is ok, but has some serious drawbacks in terms of adminstrative costs.

https://www.racktables.org if you want something that kind of does it all in one.

Strictly IPAM you can check out https://www.phpipam.net