Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
ICSA 63: The Best Thing You’ve Never Tasted

Lembas, stuff from Oryx and Crake, butterbeer, the entirety of the Redwall series, lemoncakes from those rape books goons are obsessed with, if you don’t have fictional food you’ve always wanted to do a version of it’s because you’re a shameful husk of a thing. Get out of my thread.

For the rest of you!

Rules:
-Three courses. One must be a dessert. You can do more if you want to do more, do what seems good to you!

-All dishes must appear in a work of fiction. I don’t care what work, I’m not here to judge your lovely taste in books or movies or music or whatever, but I really want to know why you picked what you picked. It seems like there’s basically endless source material.

-Obviously a lot of stuff requires like magic and spaceships and two headed men and stuff so there’s some degree of flexibility but if your dish is Bantha milk and you serve a glass of milk you need to have a really good explanation for how you made it taste like space yak juice
EDIT: I HAVE BEEN APPRISED THAT BANTHA MILK IS BLUE. IF YOUR BANTHA MILK IS NOT BLUE, YOU NEED A GOOD EXPLANATION.

Deadline:

DEADLINE: SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER SEVENTH, TWENTY FOURTEEN

-This is p flexible, but I sometimes think these get a little unfair if someone asks for extra time the last weekend (because other people could have used that time too!) so I’m a lot more likely to give the go ahead if you say something a week ahead

First Prize: 35 dollar gift certificate to Penzey’s or Amazon or really anywhere you’d like

Chairman’s Choice: A terrific mystery prize that is largely dependent on your actual entry! When I decided to do a chairman prize the initial idea was to hunt for an old copy of a book you chose, which might not be viable in some cases. It’ll be something along those lines.

Most Effort for the Least Payoff Award: A forums upgrade of your choice or ten dollar gift card somewhere

ALLEZ IMAGINARY CUISINE

Gourd of Taste fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Hm maybe I will actually make a thing. Hi Gourd.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
Hi! please do it'll validate me/ our continued friendship

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Gourd of Taste posted:

-Obviously a lot of stuff requires like magic and spaceships and two headed men and stuff so there’s some degree of flexibility but if your dish is Bantha milk and you serve a glass of milk you need to have a really good explanation for how you made it taste like space yak juice
Bantha milk is blue though.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Okay, I actually really like this. Also, now that everything I'd want to cook with is fresh and available pretty much, I think I might actually enter this.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Should all the dishes be from the same work of fiction? Or could we have three dishes from three disparate works of fiction?

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Should all the dishes be from the same work of fiction? Or could we have three dishes from three disparate works of fiction?

Absolutely have three dishes from three disparate works!

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Yissss

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
This is a fantastic theme! Can't wait to see the entries.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Should we use a published and established recipe, or is creativity rewarded more?

I ask only because

http://redwall.wikia.com/wiki/The_Redwall_Cookbook

I dont own it and the recipes online are shiiiiit

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 16, 2014

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Suspect Bucket posted:

Should we use a published and established recipe, or is creativity rewarded more?

I ask only because

http://redwall.wikia.com/wiki/The_Redwall_Cookbook

I dont own it and the recipes online are shiiiiit

Be creative! I mean if a recipe you find is, in your heart, the only correct way to make a thing, go for it. But I'm all about you using your imagination and coming up with awesome ways to make stuff!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Cool. And can I do all Redwall dishes? I've got IDEAS.

Cranberry Jam
Apr 8, 2011

Gourd of Taste posted:

-All dishes must appear in a work of fiction. I don’t care what work, I’m not here to judge your lovely taste in books or movies or music or whatever, but I really want to know why you picked what you picked. It seems like there’s basically endless source material.

Does this include video/computer games?

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Suspect Bucket posted:

Cool. And can I do all Redwall dishes? I've got IDEAS.

Of course!

Cranberry Jam posted:

Does this include video/computer games?

Definitely!

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I just packed up most of my kitchen to move, the due date being the final day of my move. I don't see myself being able to enter. I just wanted to say that this is a genius idea, and I'm excited to see the entries!

artichokeyou
Jul 1, 2010
I love this idea and since I have been on a Hunger Games kick lately by re-watching the movies and about to read the books again in preparation for the next movie in a few months, I might attempt a themed dinner in honor of the Hunger Games!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I just want to let you in on a fabulous discovery I've made in the course of doing this. HOT NUTS ARE STUPID EASY. Oh my God, it's got to be some kind of gold mine to set up a Nuts 4 Nuts cart in a good location.

I'm trying hard not to eat all of them before the final plating.

\/\/Redwall candied chestnuts. Except those are not in season, so I did almonds, which have the benefit of being idiot proof.

I also realize now that hot nuts are not a catchall for all street nuts, just the spicy ones. I have been lied to my whole life.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 17, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What fictional work is that from?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk01eeKMD_I

americong
May 29, 2013

This might be a little bit high-effort/scary for me, but if I think of something good, I'll continue my aggressively cheap college student ICSA efforts.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdfxNYKWcN4

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I have no time to participate right now. But if someone does a Dune themed entry they might well have my vote.

party hat
Apr 22, 2010
This sounds really awesome. Hopefully I'll get off my rear end and make an entry.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Rule question: can I make a dessert that didn't appear in my fictional work of choice, but would obviously and undoubtedly fit into the universe of said fictional work?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 19, 2014

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Steve Yun posted:

Rule question: can I make a dessert that didn't appear in my fictional work of choice, but would obviously and undoubtedly fit into the universe of said fictional work?

My wife and I are torn on this! But you seem to feel pretty strongly about it, so how about PM me the details/explanation and we'll make it work? I'm definitely open to loose interpretations so we can figure something out.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
This sounds like great fun! I have a few ideas for it now.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

poo poo, I've never participated in an ICSA, but I might have to join this one.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I have no time to participate right now. But if someone does a Dune themed entry they might well have my vote.

I've always tried to imagine the flavor the spice-flavored grain and bird flesh thing wrapped in a leaf that Paul eats.

Either that or the soup that Yoda cooks for Luke.

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 25, 2014

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Bubbacub posted:

I've always tried to imagine the flavor the spice-flavored grain and bird flesh thing wrapped in a leaf that Paul eats.

Chicken dolmas with bulgar instead of rice, spiced with harissa and lots of cinnamon.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Here's my Star Trek themed entry: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3660422

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
This is an awesome ICSA theme, man.

Chances are I cannot enter, my 10th anniversary is this weekend. But I would do a pan-galactic gargle blaster I think.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
After drawing blanks on a menu for multiple days in a row, despite thinking of myself as a creative person, I opened up this thread and realized that I had actually already asked if we can make dishes from different fictional things, and received an answer in the affirmative. I'm a dummy. So then I came up with a menu, but then I realized that all my food, although it's from works of fiction, isn't like, fictional food in the sense that it doesn't exist. Like, it's all real food, not Bantha milk or butterbeer or whatever. Is that okay?

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
Oh definitely, as long as it's interesting!

Like to use the Redwall example, strawberry cordial is definitely a thing that exists in the real world, but it would be totally and completely appropriate for this contest too

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Here's my entry I did it based off the Elder Scrolls series of games. - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662876

It's my first ICSA/NICSA so please be gentle. :ohdear:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Here's my Redwall themed entry! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3663150

artichokeyou
Jul 1, 2010
Hunger Games themed dinner here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3663277

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
My entry from the world of tomorrow: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3663408

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?
Enjoy my NBC-themed entry! Fun fact: the counter space that I used for all of my assembled ingredients photos is the total usable counter space in my kitchen.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3663416

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Aaah eff, poo poo-post tag on my Calvin and Hobbes entry: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3663426

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Dr Hannibal Lecter would like to have you for dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
You are all smart and lovely and entries are CLOSED. I'll make a voting thread today or tomorrow and we'll determine our winners!

• Locked thread