Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Paradoxish posted:

Like seriously no less than ten people have given me some variation of "A Dark Room is the BEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED." in person. I bet most of those reviews are genuine.

Or maybe your friends are Cylons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Kheldarn posted:

IGN's Free Game Of The Month for September is Hitman GO.

Holy poo poo. Credit where credit is due, IGN is killing it with these free games of the month. Wow.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Himuro posted:

DQ1 is on the App Store now.

Hell yeah. Instant sale. The flood of Dragon Quest ports on the App Store is a dream come true. It seems entirely possible we'll have the entire series minus that weird MMO thing by 2016.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Himuro posted:

Guys. GUYS.

In the ios8 hoopla, something went wrong. I've had to restore, and now I've lost a 25 hour DQ8 save.

The worst case scenario was having to replay one of the most awesome games ever made. It's a rough life.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Himuro posted:

This is hardly my first time playing dq8 though, so yeah it'd be a rough life.

You can never play DQ8 too many times. :colbert:

Also to the guy on the fence, the controls are actually a real strong suit of the DQ8 port. They're absolutely fantastic.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

loudog999 posted:

Has anyone with a 6+ ran into any games that just wont work with it. I have a few:
KOTOR has a tiny square in the corner of the screen that none of the touches line up with the menus so it is unplayable.

Worst phone ever. Return it and demand an apology for wasting your time with a KOTOR-less iPhone.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Telex posted:

Is there a spiritual successor of the Dungeon Raid variety? Is there an iOS equal to Pixel Dungeon?

Dungeon Story. Enjoy!

https://appsto.re/ca/tBeBH.i

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

ChetReckless posted:

Thoughts on Dragon Quest IV? For some reason I'm only really capable of putting extended periods of time into vertically oriented games, I'm not sure why. I remember playing it back in the day and enjoying it but I'm pretty sure I only got through a few chapters. It's Dragon Quest VIII a better bet? I would probably only end up with one.

You're choosing between two of the very best games on iOS, it's hard to go wrong with either one.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

xzzy posted:

Indie game developer compared to organized crime, things I never thought I would read on the internet.

To be fair the mafia gave us much more entertaining content. Goodfellas, The Sopranos, Hogan's Alley.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Awwww yeah, fought AIDS today with Bubble Witch 2. Done my charitable deed for the day.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The portrait mode controls on the DQ ports are fantastic and I wish more games had the same. Instead of slapping on garbage touch controls and calling it a day SE actually took the time to develop functional controls that don't get in the way. They deserve a ton of praise for doing these ports so right.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
That Card City Nights game people were really into a while back is free.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Feenix posted:

Maybe I don't get the fundamentals of a cookie clicker...

Did you like Tiny Tower? Cookie clickers are basically that in a different wrapper.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Shwqa posted:

Holy poo poo people still play that? It became a huge money grab when I quit.

It's an enormous cash grabby mess. I'm not even sure it's good at being cash grabby. They've flooded the game with absurd numbers of three stars to the point where it very much feels like squeezing the last few bucks out of whales they can before it flat out dies.

I can't say I'd recommend it to anyone.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Holy crap this Topp's Star Wars Trading Card thing is hilariously awful. It's so bad it almost feels like a parody of bad freemium games. Less gameplay than Tiny Tower or Rage of Bahamut but with the cash grabby IAP cranked up to eleven.

They just released a super limited edition card only available at 1:100 odds from single card packs that sold out in under two minutes. It's the exact same card available in three other versions except it has a green coloured border instead of white/blue/red. In the first six days there have been over a dozen limited editions ranging from as rare as 50 copies to as common as 5000, many from time limited "buy packs now before they sell out" offers.

Edit: oh I forgot it has the sleazy "earn IAP credit with Tapjoy" stuff too. Free cards for installing games, buying stuff, insanely tiny amounts for watching videos. (Most videos beyond the first big one are 50 credits or less, a pack is 4000-5000)

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 19, 2015

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Um, holy poo poo. Found out pretty late but Final Fantasy XI on mobile? :psyduck:

If they manage to even halfway pull it off I'll spend an absurd amount of time maxing out every job. FFXI was a blast back in the day with Legion of Goon.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Welp, I hopped on the Pocket Mine 2 train. I have no idea what I'm doing but blindly whacking blocks, hitting bombs and collecting cards is fun!

My friend code: ntrz5837

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
FFXI was the best MMO of its time and has one of the best job systems ever implemented in a RPG, MMO or otherwise. :colbert:

So ready to spend a bazillion hours stabbing Colibri to level my Blue Mage or Dragoon jobs. :getin:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

io_burn posted:

Nexon really, really knows how to make games that appeal to Asian markets. My prediction for FFXI is people in the US market (aside from FF nuts) will hate it and get all mad about free to play elements. Meanwhile, every Asian region with smartphones will become money printing machines for them.

So pretty much like the original FFXI.

I'm so psyched for this. :getin:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Did anyone post some quick tips for Pocket Mine 2? Just trying to figure out what to invest my green cubes/gems in starting out.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Lancelot posted:

Save your green cubes for crafting the legendary/epic cards you want, they'll go super quickly and it's not worth wasting them on early stage cards, since cards with the same effects don't stack. For example, Super Bomb obsoletes the common Bomb Crate, so it's a waste to craft a bunch of Bomb Crate cards, since you'll never get those cubes back. Use your gems to keep yourself stocked on keys and to open up one or two custom fitouts (which you'll want to use exclusively in lieu of the random outfit once you get any decent cards or equipment). You might want to save some gems to get the last push through some particularly tough levels, too.

Thanks! Should I be opening chests at random or saving my keys for something special? Are there any must have Legendary cards I should prioritize? (I've got Super Drill and Coal Frenzy so far) Would it be beneficial to craft dupes to level up the Legendaries I have over buying new ones once I have a set of three I like?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
FF Record Keeper isn't grabbing me right now but it's the sorta thing I could see getting really into down the road. Is there anything quick and easy I should be doing once a day to scoop premium currency/other rewards like with the Puzzle & Dragons login bonus or the Deadpool Daily in Marvel Puzzle Quest? I'm happy to invest ten minutes a day if I end up with a pile of gems for when I do eventually start playing a bunch.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Thanks! I'll get the login bonus once a day, pull the free relic and plow through the lowest difficulty daily dungeon for now and pick away at the story stuff if I have time to kill. For now Pocket Mine 2 eats up most of my phone game time but a few minutes while waiting on batteries to give myself a head start at Record Keeper sounds good.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I had no idea I wanted a Final Fantasy themed version of Progress Quest but now that I have it I think I really like it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Sock The Great posted:

http://toucharcade.com/2015/03/31/hearthstone-iphone-support-likely-coming-april-9/

Hearthstone for iPhone incoming! I can't even fathom how much of this I'm going to play now that it will be on phones.

Oh wow. Gonna have to get back into this once I can play it on my lunch break. Got a lot of catching up to do, stopped playing around when Naxx was new.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

robodex posted:

Also playing Puzzle and Dragons for the first time ever since it never worked for me on Android (but nothing really did)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3696250

The Puzzle and Dragons Megathread is an essential resource for the best game ever on iOS. There is even a Godfest on right now if you need to reroll.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

BrainDance posted:

FF:RK question. Got a well equipped team around level 25 going through the sephiroth thing. Only got about 4 more things to go through, just at the point where the stamina cost jumps up to about 10 each.

It's been really easy so far, but is the difficulty just gonna skyrocket near the end and make it unbeatable for me?

I'm not there yet but I hear there is a boss that is immune to melee attacks that is giving a lot of people trouble. Jump on Kain works as does black magic on Rydia, the main character and Black Mage. I'm taking today to grind orbs and levels but my plan is to take Cloud/Kain with Jump/Rydia/Main Character/Black Mage.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

DontMindMe posted:

Anyone still playing Pocket Mine 2? Friend code is xdcv7834 if so.

I may have stumbled upon 2k rubies, and could use advice on how to properly spend it.

Still playing it myself, anyone have any advice for the last few sets of dungeons? I'm currently at 200 pick swings and banking cash to prestige and re-level. My setup is Super Bomb (lvl 4), Super Gas (lvl 3) and Crate Radar (lvl 3) with three pieces of so-so legendary gear including +70% more gas crates gloves.

I usually get to within 20 or so feet of the bottom but fall just short most times usually due to a bad run of rocks near the bottom. About one time in ten I hit the bottom and move on to the next stage.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Lt_Tofu posted:

For depth I have been using:
Old One with Super Bombs, Super explosive drills and pick durability.

I was considering using Old One allowing me to free up the slot Crate Radar is in. Not having some form of radar results in way too many wasted swings stuck in the middle of a bunch of rock near the bottom. Losing the grenades from Demolition Dan would hurt of course.

As for Super Explosive Drills I'll have to give it another shot. Initially I had a drill heavy setup but found too many were just hitting crates/walls and I randomly ended up with a bunch of +gas gear/legendary cards so I went with that.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Actually I'm finding with enough gear/cards gas is about as good as Super Bombs. Seems like anything with enough bonuses gets pretty insane. I'll happily switch away from gas if a few more cards and more importantly some +explosions gear comes my way.

I lucked into a helm with +4 crate radar so that switch just got a lot easier, yay +15% pick durability.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So much good stuff on iOS right now. Final Fantasy Record Keeper is fantastic, the option to autobattle trivial content is really convenient and the game has just as much depth as most of the Final Fantasy titles on boss fights too. Pocket Mine 2 scratches an itch I didn't know I had, blowing stuff up and watching the power of my cards grow as I upgrade them is freaking awesome. Add Hearthstone on my phone and my coffee breaks should be spoken for the rest of the year.

Now I just need to eBay all the cards from that stupid Star Wars Trading Card non-game thingy to fuel iTunes credit for the aformentioned games. Vintage Han Solo is selling for $250+, friggin insane.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I wonder when Blizzard are going to hit a place where the barrier to entry for Hearthstone is too high for the new player. Two solo adventures and two sets of cards isn't so bad right now, but down the road when there are ten solo adventures at $25 apiece it'd be pretty unrealistic to expect new players to shell out that kind of cash.

Fortunately I had a bunch of Battle.net cash I couldn't do anything with leftover from selling crap on the Diablo 3 RMAH. I wouldn't have spent a fraction as much real world money on it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

goferchan posted:

Although, I forget, do you need to get every class to level 10 to participate in ranked play? If that's the case I guess everyone they're counting has at least invested SOME time in the game

Unless they changed something you need to finish the "this is a fireball, drag it on to your opponent's picture" tutorial. That's it.

You could probably get to rank 20 every month for the card back by allowing your cat to sleep on your iPad. It's not a high bar if you have a pulse and enough motor control to semi-reliably hit the right spots on the screen.

Legendary on the other hand is grindy as gently caress. They've intentionally aimed for a game where the very best players end up with a win rate in the 70%ish range so it's a real slog getting to the top.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Happy Hedonist posted:

I've never played KOTOR and with all the Star Wars bullshit flying around I figure it's about time. Is the iOS port worth $10 or is it a poo poo port?

It's fantastic and you'll love it. Awesome game, port is excellent. It's that Bioware-ish RPG combat where you can pause at any time and queue actions for everybody so it's pretty forgiving.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
It's no coincidence the Apple Watch came along shortly after they made the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus too big to comfortably use one handed. I'm just hoping my iPhone 5s holds on long enough for a second or third gen Apple Watch that doesn't suck. :ohdear:

Companion apps allowing you to update timers via the watch could be neat though. Start new things in your factory on Pocket Mine 2 while working, or autobattle some trivial level on FFRK to burn stamina.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Emron posted:

Are there any match 3 rpg type games out there in the vein of puzzle quest 1&2 that aren't freemium timers with a game veneer? I've played emblem saga or whatever it's called, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I really don't think there are any out there without an energy mechanic baked in, beyond the actual PQ 1/2.

Did you play Dungeon Story, the spiritual successor to Dungeon Raid?

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/dungeon-story/id560744147?mt=8

It's been a while since I last played it but it was really solid. It's been long enough I don't remember 100% sure if it had any sort of energy mechanic, but I think it was more energy free but IAPs to get currency faster if you chose.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
It barely qualifies as a game, but holy poo poo watching the clusterfuck with that Topps Star Wars Trading Card app has been fun.

They've got a series of Vintage inserts that are super popular amongst the playerbase, they routinely sell out in under an hour after becoming available. (cash shop purchasers get the chance to scoop them early so 90% of the supply goes to them) They just launched one limited to 1250 copies and apparently their servers lacked the ability to handle the strain. People were losing hundreds of dollars in premium currency with no packs of trading cards to show for it. The app has failed to update the number sold in game for at least a half hour now, leading people to dump hundreds of dollars worth of premium currency into more packs when the card itself was sold out and couldn't be pulled from packs anymore.

This is going to be one enormous app store refund clusterfuck. They're quite likely taking in thousands of dollars in IAPs for an item that is no longer available but the whole userbase thinks is.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

tuyop posted:

You're talking about virtual, silly iPad game cards, right? They can always just make more to satisfy the people who got caught up in the error. It's not like they have to ship them or anything!

Yeah, but then you piss off all the whales who just spent thousands chasing a "super rare limited to 1250" insert. Gotta maintain that illusion of scarcity.

The whole app is a fascinating incredibly cynical spinoff of freemium gaming. Take out the game entirely but use the same techniques to empty suckers wallets.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Telex posted:

I'll be honest, how in the gently caress do you know there are only 1250 of a "card" when it's all digital, virtual, and stuff? Is your collection open to the public or are you the only one who knows what you have?

Anyone can look at your collection, but I doubt anyone is going through all 1250 collections that are supposed to be the only ones to have that card and checking.

goferchan posted:

It's not even a GAME!! Not like how the other f2p "card game" poo poo "isn't a game". But there's literally no game. They're virtual Star Wars baseball cards. I guess you can buy and sell and trade them with other players which some people might consider a game but if you can't cash out for real money (and I'm betting there's no way) then fuuuck that

People are selling them on eBay, the Vintage Han Solo card from the first week seems to be selling at a somewhat steady clip for $250+. Yes it's absolutely batshit insane.

tuyop posted:

I don't understand. What do you do?

What do people do with baseball cards? What's the point?!

Purchase packs of virtual cards with real money, trade to complete sets, jerk off at pictures of Star Wars? It's an iOS trading card game without the game part, just the IAPs. It's really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I'm in a good mood so I figured I'd give everyone in the thread $170 for free.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/321726007139?nav=SEARCH

Don't spend it all in one place.

Edit: this Star Wars thing is becoming to me what the creepy anime titty soccer game is to that other guy. It's just so awful I can't look away.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 4, 2015