Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

SirSamVimes posted:

Without comment.

Also, my internet died and now whenever I try to continue my run, I get this message.

"Another game is already in progress using this save!

Hit any key to exit..."

Don't suppose you found apportation? Does that even work on runes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mr. Despair posted:

code:
w - the +4 robe of Night {+Inv MR+ SInv Stlth+}!

A long black robe made of strange glossy material! It seems to shroud its
wearer in darkness! According to legend, it was the gift of Ratri the Goddess
of the Night to one of her followers!

You'd think that this would be a gift from Dithmenos, although I guess he's the god of shadows, not the night.

That flavor text sure looks excited.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Is there any way to change your character's name? I always wish I could rename my draconians after they get their colored scales.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

These days, is Glaciate or Firestorm considered the more powerful option, or are they about even now?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Surprised it's not a minotaur with a name like that.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

TZer0 posted:

I'd say Sif Muna isn't half bad.

Except for the glaring issue of having to murder things to train your magic skills, but you can solve that issue with an infinite amount of potions of experience.

I like to think in the outside world when you escape with the orb of Zot, you can probably practice magic without killing dudes, but the dungeon's just too harsh and dangerous to allow you to pick up skills any other way than in the heat of battle.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Brannock posted:

There's a fun, exciting Demigod change on trunk right now. You should try out Dg and tell us what you think about the change.

Is it in the offline compiled versions yet?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Poulpe posted:

Speaking of food, how are you typically supposed to handle the food situation when under Zin?
That "You may not eat sentient flesh" really burns, especially in the late game.

I'm a huge dweeb and don't eat sentient flesh anyways even though I usually play Vehumet casters, and I find it doesn't make things much more challenging. You just have to make use of the permafood more is all.

I just really want to believe my dude's a good guy, even though he worships the 'splosions god... I even avoid killing slaves and Circe's pigs and everything! :(

I was thinking of trying to play a deep dwarf fighter. How do you go about prioritizing skills in the early game?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

When you cut off a hand for Ru, can you still wear gloves?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Jeffrey posted:

I still like "you can only put on ring of regen at max hp".

This is good, I like this.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Prism posted:

They can, though I personally think they shouldn't be able to.

Why not? The flavor text specifically says it was made by a lich.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

scalded schlong posted:

getting mixed messages here

Well, you see, the swords are no longer fine, instead they are now great.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I know it's stated that hydraform heals you when you eat enemies, but does it actually also grant nutrition?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Cool, that actually makes me super interested in trying out Tm again.

In the meanwhile, I am actually finding myself very fond of Ru. My favorite combination (DrCj) sometimes ends up a disappointment when I end up getting a yellow or green draconian, but now, instead I choose Ru instead of Vehumet for my god whenever that happens, and focus on developing Unarmed Combat. I was surprised at how well having a conjurer start still lets you branch out into a semi-fightey type with Draconians thanks to their natural AC, especially when you unload your MP on enemies before they get into melee range.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I want to go on record saying I really like how all the unique enemies have titles.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Should water nymphs be able to drown you while death's door is active? Because that just happened to me.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

PleasingFungus posted:

Did you take damage/die? Because death's door isn't supposed to let you do either of those things.

(They can still *try* to damage you, but they shouldn't be able to pull it off!)

Was this the melee attack or the spell?

e: tested; looks like you can take damage but not die. Not sure if that's the old behavior or not.

The drowning took my HP below zero, and then I died. In the morgue file, it says DD was still up, but expiring. This is in a trunk version about a week old or so.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

PleasingFungus posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but that turned out to be a red herring. I spent a long time chasing it, but the actual bug was that water nymphs, etc, use KILLED_BY_WATER as the 'source of death' for their touch attack. That historically meant 'you fell into deep water and drowned instantly', which death's door doesn't protect against; so it didn't protect against the nymphs, either!

Anyway, should be fixed now, or whenever the servers rebuild.

Thanks. Too bad about my character though, I had a lot of good luck with him. I was clearing out a Zig when it happened:

http://pastebin.com/2ai7pCmE

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.16-a0-1163-g830ab83 (tiles) character file.

923616 Raxis the Meteorologist (level 27, -2/203 HPs)
             Began as a Black Draconian Conjurer on Oct 11, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Drowned by a water nymph (12 damage)
             ... on level 22 of a ziggurat on Oct 12, 2014.
             The game lasted 08:23:46 (102313 turns).

Raxis the Meteorologist (DrCj)                    Turns: 102313, Time: 08:23:46

Health: -2/203     AC: 23    Str: 13    XL:     27
Magic:  42/54      EV: 18    Int: 31    God:    Vehumet [******]
Gold:   4952       SH: 15    Dex: 13    Spells: 12 memorised, 6 levels left

rFire  + + .     SeeInvis +     U - staff of energy
rCold  + + +     Clarity  .     (armour unavailable)
rNeg   + . .     SustAb   .     p - +2 shield of Resistance {rF+ rC+ MR+}
rPois  +         Gourm    .     x - +3 crown of Dyrovepreva {rElec Int+2 SInv}
rElec  +         Spirit   .     w - +1 cloak of Forking Paths {rC+ rCorr Int+2}
rCorr  +         Warding  .     R - +1 pair of gloves "Gadal" {rElec rPois rC+}
rMut   +         Stasis   .     v - +2 pair of boots {run}
MR     +++..                    M - amulet of resist mutation
Stlth  ++........               S - ring of Naycut Anu {+Fly rF+ rC+ rN+}
                                W - ring "Nionab" {MP+9 Dex+2 Slay+2}

@: death's door (expiring), tornado, flying (expiring), very slightly
contaminated, hasted, very quick, extremely resistant to hostile enchantments,
unstealthy
A: breathe lightning, able to fly continuously, unfitting armour, big wings,
electricity resistance, cold-blooded, AC +13
a: Breathe Lightning, Fly, Renounce Religion
}: 5/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, slimy, silver, demonic
Black draconians are my favorite because permaflight is such a convenient thing to have. Add on top of that I was lucky enough to find boots of running, and basically you get the king of mobility.

He got a book of Annihilations as his first spellbook find in the first 5 floors. Not long after, a staff of energy. One of the orc spellbook shops had Book of the Tempests, which got me tornado. I never actually used tornado much before, but my gosh it's a lot of fun, and it synergizes well with airstrike. Add chain lightning on top of that, and basically he was able to take on anything.

Probably won't have that much good luck on a character any time soon, but maybe that's just as well.

Also, lol at having three sources of rElec

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

SirSamVimes posted:

I thought this was worth sharing.

Evolution's a hell of a drug.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Has anyone ever tried Control Undead on a undead-themed level of Ziggurat? Thinking about it, it seems like it could be a pretty good idea.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Sojenus posted:

oh my god why did i never know about replacing the player tile this is the greatest feature of the game

!!!

It's... everything I ever wanted.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

A few blasts of Shadow Dragon's breath in the Vaults on a caster just barely able to use their level 9 big guns reliably can make you very sad. New Drain's no joke.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Sometimes they're real cute, too. I found one in the lair that was 3 bears in a room with 3 potions of porridge.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Pvt.Scott posted:

So, do most of you guys play on cszo? I might spectate one of these days and soak in divine wisdom while listening to some chill tunes.

What music do you usually listen to while Crawling? Conelrad's (goon-made and free) ambient stuff and NIN's Ghosts I-IV make for a reasonably dark and moody feel. Nothing feels better than some flavor of metal on a Trog worshiper, though.

E: I ask because music is a big part of my life and I tend to find that I listen to different things depending on what games I'm playing or what art/writing I'm working on. Plus it's a good way to find new music when you ask strangers.

I sometimes listen to the Tactics Ogre PSP soundtrack. Or In The Court of the Crimson King on loop.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

A secret about statues is that they could be incredibly swift if they wanted to, they just choose to be still.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

My favorite thing about LRD is one-shotting Bone Dragons. Even better, when they have friends adjacent to them.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Aww, jeepers. It's been that long since I messed with earth elementalists.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Thug Lessons posted:

Why not? For the record that's exactly what they're supposed to do now.

One argument is because they replaced potions of +stat, which were an unqualified good, it'd be nice if one unqualified good was replaced with another.

Of course, it's possible the devs have changed priorities on what they want from potions, but this at least would explain player expectations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Arrhythmia posted:

On the other hand, one could argue that because an unqualified good was replaced with a qualified good, they didn't actually want unqualified good at all.

Yes, that is what I meant with my second line. The devs changing priorities, meaning they decided qualified is better.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I'm a mega huge fan of meat consolidation.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mr. Lobe posted:

I'm a mega huge fan of meat consolidation.

There's one for the scrap book.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hey guys, I was wondering if in the extended game, if a blessed broad axe or a blessed eveningstar or a sacred scourge is a better weapon for a shield-using fighter. Is there any of the three that stand out as being better than the others?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Haifisch posted:

The thing with haste(the spell) is that haste(the wand) exists too, and you usually have a huge stack of recharging scrolls doing nothing by the time you're considering extended. It can also pop up in artifact spell books, which are hard to predict but still a possible source of haste.

That's not to say I agree with making haste rarer, but it's also not like it's nonexistant now.

You don't need rmut at all for a 3-runer. Extended can suck without it, but you can also do all the non-mutative areas(aka "everything but pan") first to see if you can find a source of it. If not...have you heard the good word of Zin? (Or do you have a pile of cmut somewhere, if you don't want to go Zin?)

Eveningstar: 15 base damage, 0.7 mindelay
Scourge: 12 base damage, 0.5 mindelay
Broadaxe: Why the gently caress are you using axes with a shield (13 base damage, 0.7 mindelay. I'm pretty sure it's the worst top-tier-for-its-category 1H weapon)

I'd lean towards the scourge, but the real answer is "whichever you find first". If you have both, bless one and try to get a nice brand for the other(freezing is good as a swap, flaming is also decent).

I like the axe as a secondary weapon for sopping up the crowds of things you tend to get surrounded by. I think maybe I should have asked the question differently, and instead said, "which of these three items is it best to bless?", if I'm playing on a fighter who uses maces. Sounds like I should bless the demon whip, though.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

dis astranagant posted:

I'd do the eveningstar. It does about the same dps as the scourge vs unarmored targets but it should be a good bit better as the ac of your enemies goes up.

This is what I did, and later I got a scourge on the holy pan level, anyways.

ALSO! Fun with Zin: I used recite at Cerebov, and he got confused and wandered into lava. WHAT!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Darox posted:

Please never change Orc floors.

I just love how the map gets flooded when the game tries to reach the appropriate threat level by placing lovely orcs & goblins.

I love being a Zinnite on those floors. A third of those fools get confused, a fourth blinded, and another fourth turned to salt.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Is it supposed to be possible for drinking a potion of cure mutation to cure absolutely none of your mutations? And these aren't natural or otherwise permanent ones, either.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

pathetic little tramp posted:

They could also be temporary, as I learned the hard way when I made it back to my stash after the abyss and quaffed three cure mut to get rid of deformed body and something else that sucked. I was pretty annoyed especially because they got rid of my thin skeletal structure, then as I leave the lair for Pan, they fall off on their own because they were inflicted by wretched stars.

No, I had simultaneously temporary mutations and for-real mutations. Once the temporary mutations cleared up, using a different curemut potion cleared up the mutations I had. I'm just not clear on whether that was a coincidence or not, and a good way to be sure would be to verify whether curemut is ever supposed to just do nothing, thus me asking.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

pathetic little tramp posted:

Well if they weren't temporary or anything else, yeah you might have run into an issue - I always thought curemut always gets rid of something as long as you have a removable mutation.

Checking the wiki, there is a 0.05% chance of Curemut just doing nothing, anyways. That's a 1/2000 chance. This is, of course, assuming curemut hasn't changed since the wiki page was last updated. I'll play around in wizmode later and see if the temporary mutations are to blame or not. I might have just been super unlucky.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Acquirement can give you completely unrelated weapons even without miniscule investment in their respective skills. There is almost nothing in this game that doesn't afford the chance to screw you over with disappointing returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

you goobers

• Locked thread