Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

So there's no Empire thread for me to complain about how much worse the second ep was compared to the pilot, but enough about that: After debuting to a 3.8 (which is a fantastic number anywhere and not just on Fox) it has since grown to 4.0 last week and 4.3 last night to make it the highest-rated drama telecast in a year. I honestly can't remember a show with already-big ratings steadily growing week-to-week (other than TWD of course). The fact that it's happening to a mid-season drama in the dead of January is even more remarkable.

It makes a little sense from the perspective that it's a fantastic idea for a TV show that would be incredibly hard to pull off, with the pilot suggesting that they might actually be able to do it. Hopefully it's not like The Walking Dead where the pilot shows more promise than the show is ever able to get near again. But, yeah, surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

pentyne posted:

That's well beyond the scope of most TVIV posters, especially the contrarian assholes, and while I watched AoS from the start even I could tell that the writing room probably had a MCU exec sitting there going down a list say "no, no, can't mention this, no, no, no, to blatant a reference, no, no, no, just make up some weirdo case for the team to solve that never comes up again"

I can't give you exact numbers, but my impression is that most TV shows, nearly all of them really, aren't allowed to use Marvel's intellectual property.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Nah, raditts got it. It was a joke about how dumb it is to use a lack of access to all of Marvel's IP as an excuse when most shows can use none of it. Like, maybe the X-Files would have been better if they could have incorporated D-tier comic book superheroes, but they certainly didn't need it.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 31, 2015

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

xeria posted:

It doesn't excuse a lack of quality, no, but I think it's pretty fair to say that being beholden to a multi-billion dollar movie franchise/universe in what you can/can't depict on your tv show is a obstacle in and of itself, one that isn't really shared with any of the other currently-airing comic book shows (aside from Agent Carter, obviously).

It's a relatively novel situation - though it's not like the DC TV shows can use Superman and such - but the association has been more of a benefit than an obstacle. Despite the repeated claim, it's not that the show could only get better once Cap 2 came out. It's that the show got better once someone else came up with a fun story (people finally noticing that SHIELD is a hosed-up organization) and they were allowed to borrow it. Basically everything good about the show has been either what they were lucky enough to steal from a good movie or Kyle MacLachlan.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 31, 2015

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

They probably would have found it eventually. They weren't that far from it, and as they continued to find nothing they probably would have expanded the search zone. So, the absolute worst thing you can say Indy did in that movie was help the Nazis find the Ark faster, which in turn meant they were dead sooner, so a real win/win.

Marion would be dead, and the only reason the US gets to hang onto the WMD that is the Ark after the Nazis get killed is because Indy is around to recover it. Otherwise some other Nazis or who knows else might have gotten there first to collect it.

Indy absolutely wins the Ark, he just does it through humility before the power it represents, not derring-do in directly defeating the bad guys.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Oh sure, I was just commenting on the person who said that without Indy the Nazis wouldn't have found the Ark, which isn't likely true.

Apologies, I was just using your post as an opportunity to jump feet-first into this meaty debate topic. Didn't intend it as a rebuttal.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

I guess it was a gambit on Frank's part. Give up a little power in the short term in order to put himself in a better position to claim the Presidency down the road. See also: Hillary Clinton, if she didn't completely suck at being Secretary of State.

And, hell, she's going to be president anyways.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Does someone do that between all your TV shows? Seems like it would just take up space better used for advertisements.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

raditts posted:

I'm not sure where that applies to Top Gear though. Are the cars not real? Are the field segments just the guys sitting in front of a green screen with cars CGed around them? :confused:

It's mostly miniatures work. For example, Jeremy Clarkson is only an inch tall.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, wake me up when they announce that Jerry Van Dyke is returning. Otherwise what's the point?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Is he even still alive?

Both he and Richard are still alive.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Those guys are having a great time and it shows.

Yeah. The problem being that generally the purpose of performing is to cause the audience to have a great time.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, the protagonists have the problem of being despicable and unlikable, which makes the series very hard to watch because you don't really care if they succeed or fail in their mission-of-the-week.

Well, they're anti-heroes. You root for them because they fight for Marxism–Leninism, but you don't always love them as individuals.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Technically, they're fighting for the Soviet Union, which was an awful, totalitarian shithole.

Right, but keep in mind that the alternative at the time was Reagan's America.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That sounds about right for having to destroy her hair, spend the whole season in the desert and get naked all the time.

Plenty of people have spent longer naked and hairless in the desert for nothing. And just statistically speaking, most of them were probably better actors.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Daredevil would have a much easier time if he bought a few tasers instead of beating every bad guy to a pulp with bare fists.

He has an authentic moral objection to killing people, so unlike a cop he's not willing to use "less lethal" as a fig leaf.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BillBear posted:

I have only watched the first 4 eps of Daredevil and it's really drat good, how can this be in the same universe as poo poo like AOS?

It turns out the creative team behind something may be more important to its quality than what multi-platform intellectual property exploitation project it's aligned with.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

What you get nationalizing Comcast is the infrastructure and it's hard to think of a worse sign for a government broadband program than going after a bunch of coaxial lines.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Everybody should be watching Once Upon a Time. Its like a primetime Passions with Disney princesses. How can you beat that?

I know actresses go from playing the love interest to playing the mom in the blink of an eye, but having Ginnifer Goodwin's daughter be played by an actress that's only 11 months younger than her is cutting it a bit fine for my taste.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I'm saying Fox cannot afford to lock that cast up for an ongoing series.

Particularly considering one of them is the star of their biggest new hit.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

thrakkorzog posted:

Well off the top of my head, Under the Dome was a self contained novel that got turned into a lovely series. You really don't want to argue that some books adapted for TV were good, because their really aren't that many good adaptations. There's Roots, and Game of Thrones is in the maybe pile. And then there's a whole lot of lovely TV adaptations of novels.

Somebody needs to see Homicide: Life on the Street.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

thrakkorzog posted:

I've seen it, somebody needs to watch Parker Lewis and Molly Ringwald in The Stand if you think that TV adaptations are all that great.

Not defending them in general, just pointing out that there's more in the good pile.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

thrakkorzog posted:

For every decent TV adaption you can remember, I can name two bad TV adaptations we would like to forget about.

Doesn't sound like a very fun game, think I'll pass.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

thrakkorzog posted:

Oh no, I kind of broke with Shyamalan after Signs. So the Aliens are allergic to water? How the gently caress does that even start to make sense? Shyamalan kept getting work after that one.

For me it was The Sixth Sense. It's like, people retaining a conscious presence after death? That's not how it works, idiot.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

What are the cliques? The white noise posters, the unpopular posters and the really unpopular posters?

People who unfalteringly praise a show, people who only complain, and the half a dozen people able to recognize that something can be both good and imperfect.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Analysis paralysis is a real thing, but with costs as low as they are in watching TV or movies you should probably just go ahead and pick randomly if you can't really decide.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Rarity posted:

I don't understand why everyone is so pissed off about Nomi on sense8 when Sophia on Orange is the New Black is such a better example of the things they're complaining about. Now I love Sophia but every single scene and storyline she's in involves her being trans and she's purposefully separated away from the rest of the black girls in Litchwood. Nomi being trans is generally incidental to her overall plotline, Sophia being trans is her plotline.

Different audiences.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Fans know when they watch Hannibal that its nothing more than an hour long Dior ad culminating in a murder.

Nailed it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Yes, they are really good spies and they've been in America a long time and Philip especially has blended in well, but if they've blended in so well that we as an audience barely even think of them as Russian, then the whole element of them being Russian has little dramatic weight, since it becomes something we know about, rather than feel.

That's because it's a domestic drama about a couple of middle-class Americans.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That's the point of that kind of training. They live their lives as Americans, not Russians. Even in private.

The question of whether them secretly being Russian has dramatic weight isn't really an issue of whether it's justified in the plot. What it comes down to is that the show is about two ordinary Americans – hence the name – with the Russian spy stuff being a dramatization of their struggles with their marriage and domestic life. The spy stuff is entertaining on its own on an episode-to-episode basis, but the domestic drama is what has weight.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

IRQ posted:

I fundamentally do not get the idea that the russian spy stuff is somehow not front and center in The Americans. Are we watching the same show?

Absolutely all of their "middle class domestic drama" or whatever is dictated by it

Does Jack Bauer need to show up with a bad guy speaking in a lovely russian accent with a nuke draped in a soviet flag or something? Holy poo poo.

Exactly, the primary result of the spy stuff is domestic drama. Jack Bauer's family gets caught up in the intrigue in order to make the spy stuff personal. That would never be necessary in The Americans, in which the basic framing of the espionage is as a distraction from the marriage.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

And for the love of God, watch Rounders. It's on Netflix and Amazon (in America at least), and it's a fantastic movie, featuring career high performances from... John Malkovich

I like the movie, but good lord.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Is your love of David Simon and Oscar Issac enough to overrule your hatred of Paul Haggis?

No writing credit for Haggis, fortunately.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

They do a nice job balancing terrible-looking new content with callbacks built around the laughable notion that anybody has nostalgia for Heroes.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

zoux posted:

The whole reboot is based on that notion.

And the whole idea of the reboot is pretty laughable.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

I didn't see a thread for it, is anyone here watching The Brink? It's good, in my opinion

In my opinion, it's bad. Doesn't particularly work as either a political satire or a zany comedy.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I take it about as seriously as I do Ballers, it just produces less laughs (none as compared to one or two per episode), without having charm or charisma to coast on.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 20, 2015

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Thanks!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Where could the show even go? They've gone through pretty much all the books and have had plenty of homages to Silence. Also I think the new bad guy is a step down from Hannibal. Some art nerd that likes to kill families isn't much scarier than a guy that eats people. What could they possibly do to make Buffalo Bill interesting after this.

So were the first couple of seasons covering events depicted in the books? Apparently we're not getting any more, but if we did I'd hoped it would move back to material I wasn't already familiar with, as someone who has only seen the movies.

On which subject, the show's been seriously struggling this season with its "art film" pretensions by virtue of forcing a comparison to Ridley Scott, who's simply out of their league. They might fare better going up against Michael Mann and Brett Ratner for the remainder, but I have my doubts even there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

So a woman who transitioned into a man skinning women to transition back into a woman?

Seems like lazy writing. Women having trouble deciding what to wear is such a cliche.

• Locked thread