Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«130 »
Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

Sergio is apparently rolling Calaway now if their marketing email I just got is to be believed.

Kameh, update your clubs accordingly.

This is rough on me, as the last Callaway driver I ever hit was a Callaway FT-Q (one of the first square ones). The last Callaway driver I owned was a steelhead Big Bertha.

I know DJ and Rory are on a different level, but they really have me looking at the M3 and M4 drivers. They're supposed to be REALLY good.

Then again, the M2 was supposed to be good, but I'm satisfied rocking my Cobra F6+. Whoever said it's all about shafts now is correct.

Kameh fucked around with this message at Jan 8, 2018 around 21:14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Edit: Wow double post.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Kameh posted:

Whoever said it's all about shafts now is correct.

Someone please expand.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lincoln posted:

Someone please expand.

All of the OEMs are making driver heads that are pushing the bleeding edge of what is legal. Getting fitted for the right shaft will make a hell of a lot more difference than the actual driver head if you’re shopping all of the 2018 models.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

DJ eagled that par 4 in back to back rounds, that's pretty cool. I did that once but the hole is ~240 instead of 433. Close enough though imo.

Anyone have any grip tape and solvent recommendations? I'm planning on doing my whole bag in the next couple months.
Golfsmith grip tape and solvent are fine, but I used lighter fluid for the longest time and it works too.

Kameh posted:

This is rough on me, as the last Callaway driver I ever hit was a Callaway FT-Q (one of the first square ones). The last Callaway driver I owned was a steelhead Big Bertha.

I know DJ and Rory are on a different level, but they really have me looking at the M3 and M4 drivers. They're supposed to be REALLY good.

Then again, the M2 was supposed to be good, but I'm satisfied rocking my Cobra F6+. Whoever said it's all about shafts now is correct.
The big "innovation" with M3 and M4 is twist-face which may or may not really help you. Considering how far you have to miss the sweet spot to see where twist-face diverges from normal bulge and roll, I don't think the benefit is really there.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

TM release new clubs like every 6 months. Just do what I do and wait a year or 18 months for the price to come down

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

TaylorMade has a mostly deserved reputation for pushing out new driver models at a crazy rate but over the last 5 years or so Callaway has actually been outpacing them (and so has Cobra, for that matter).

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

BCRock posted:

Grip tape is grip tape, in my experience.

Just don't try the water activated tape that Lamkin sells... awful

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title

Halo14 posted:

TM release new clubs like every 6 months. Just do what I do and wait a year or 18 months for the price to come down

My 2016 M2 driver and M1 3 wood were just over $200 combined, the driver could have passed for new and the 3w only has a little more wear (but no sky marks or anything). For all the complaining you see about high prices and fast product cycles, golf equipment can still be pretty affordable if you shop around a bit.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Almost every club in my bag I bought as old-new stock. 4-PW GW mizuno JPX 850, Cobra Max driver, and my lob wedge was given to me by my brother in-law, so it was free. My wife bought my drat putter as a birthday gift by literally asking the sales guy for the “best” putter they sell. I got the most expensive one instead. But it’s pretty good. I will never buy the New Hotness.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Pretty funny story on ESPN today.

Bellevue University just recruited a 61 year old to their golf team. The guy seems awesome, especially his last quote in the article.

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...r-old-golf-team

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

DoctaFun posted:

Pretty funny story on ESPN today.

Bellevue University just recruited a 61 year old to their golf team. The guy seems awesome, especially his last quote in the article.

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...r-old-golf-team

Lord have mercy, my wife would DIE if I had said that lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I never played any sports in college. Does that mean I still have 4 years of eligibility?

Looking forward to joining a golf team when I turn 50.

«130 »