Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Probably the Soultrap Glitch which lets you apply permanent buffs to yourself with cheap spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

It's not like High Rock or Hammerfell in a hypothetical TES6 would look anything like they did in TES2 anyway. Also Daggerfall was limited to a specific region encompassing only a portion of both provinces. I really think we're going to see The Elder Scrolls VI: Hammerfell.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

Replaying this made me realize that Bleak Falls Barrow is really obviously a press demo that front loads every single dungeon gimmick and puzzle seen in the rest of the game into a single showpiece.

Bordering on deceptive.

"Look, you need to examine the 3d model of items in your inventory to solve puzzles!" (Never uses feature again in 100+ hours of game time)

Oblivion did the same thing with the prison escape at the beginning. "Look at this physics trap! You can push these logs onto those goblins instead of fighting them!"

I've always appreciated that Morrowind has no tutorial dungeon. It just dumps you into a town and is all like "You're free now, do what you want."

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

I always figured Addamasartus was the tutorial dungeon. Has a decent chunk of stuff you'll either deal with or fight.

Nah, Addamasartus is tiny and populated by like three bandits. If any dungeon in Morrowind could be called a tutorial dungeon it would be Arkngthand. It's so big and clearly had more effort put into it than most other dungeons. Also it's full of nice and easy low level bandits, but if you really explore the depths it turns into a proper Dwemer ruin with more dangerous dwarven automatons if you want more of a challenge. It really drives home the risks and rewards of exploration.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Orv posted:

Man gently caress the Empire. gently caress everybody really. Over the course of the the last four games nobody has come away not looking like a bag of assholes at some point. That's one of the good things about Bethesda games, is that I can become the leader of everybody, and then tell them to all gently caress off and rot while I go stick my dick in dungeons for a hundred hours.

Still disappointed Skyrim didn't let you start your own empire to fight both sides. They should've let you run off with the Jagged Crown and forge a claim to the throne.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

It didn't really occur to me until now but there are no enchanted pauldrons besides the ones you make in Morrowind, are there?

In the base game I don't know, but in Tribunal there's the Her Hand's armor set where the pauldrons provide resistance to poison and paralysis.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

1 pt of fly on target. Enemies insist on flying at you super slow. :D

I remember trying this and enemies phase through the floor when they die, but only in indoor areas. Safe for outdoor use.

Mysticism is the magic school for cool dude wizards. Absorb your enemy's health and stamina, teleport around Vvardenfell, steal poo poo and trigger traps safely with telekinesis, trap some souls, absorb or reflect other people's spells. It's the best.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 10, 2017

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

It's canon that the Nerevarine murdered Vivec, trapped his soul and used it to enchant a pair of pants.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I'd like to know what "free for one week" really means. If I download it while it's free, will I have to pay a subscription fee to continue using it afterwards?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Depends on how picky you want to get. Guards don't take off their helmets. The Dragonborn has a one-handed sword strapped to his back, but in-game it would be at his hip.

The Dragonborn should be struggling to reach the dragon because there's already a crowd of guards and townspeople fighting it.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I hope you soul trapped the Emperor too.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

You call cheating steamed CHIM?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

remusclaw posted:

I mean, you sell your soul, again, for some lovely armor, but hey, you have a surplus.

It's worse than that because you got the armor before selling your soul. The idea was that Mercer had special Nightingale powers so you needed to make a pact with Nocturnal to get Nightingale powers too, but then Nocturnal shows up and is all "thanks for the souls, but I'm not giving you poo poo until you kill Mercer first" making the whole exercise pointless.

Bholder posted:

I don't know why everyone's biggest problem is that you sell your soul, not like you do that in every Elder Scrolls game, and not with "I created this super poison and waited for this moment forever but in the last minute I decided to miss delibelatry and save you in a dumb way"

That too. Everything involving Karliah is extremely dumb.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 9, 2018

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I miss how Morrowind let you live with the consequences of killing important NPCs or failing quests due to making poor decisions. I suppose the advent of fully voiced dialogue is part of the problem. Bethesda probably doesn't want to record alternate dialogue for every single quest in case a necessary NPC is dead. They do remove essential status from some characters once their relevant quests are completed, but this isn't applied with enough consistency.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

A weird thing about the Goldenglow leg of the quest is that it seemed impossible to sneak through certain areas regardless of your skill.

Not impossible, but certainly difficult - especially for a low-level character. Sneaking through a heavily guarded compound should not be babby's first Thieves Guild quest.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Bholder posted:

Still, not sure how to solve the "why not stab Ulfric in the face" problem the lack of essential tags would do in a satisfying way.

Could do something like Helseth in Tribunal where he's personally very powerful and is surrounded by high level guards at all times. Maybe you'd call that unsatisfying but it's better than him just being literally unkillable.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

But why are khajiit subraces affected by the moons when they have no apparent association with Lorkhan?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

John F Bennett posted:

Who greenlighted Crassius Curio then.

"Influential white male demands sexual favors before helping your career" probably didn't seem as problematic at the time.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Should've been Vivec, 7/10.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That playstyle was brought up in the Daggerfall manual, where the devs mentioned that you should roll with your decisions and not to save scum (not the wording they used, of course). I have to remind myself how rewarding it is, in general, to do this, from time to time.

Easier to do in Daggerfall because it's one of the few games that let you simply flee the country to avoid the consequences of your crimes.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Maybe they could have just turned the meteor so it shot at Skyrim or Black Marsh instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Last night, I was playing Skyrim, picked up an old save from over a year ago, maybe 2. I don't have many mods installed, and I'm not running the special edition (PC is old, which is one of the reasons I'm interested in the Switch version).

I went to Solstheim for the first time, got the story from the guy who greets you when you're still on the boat, and then spoke to the guy who watches the builders building that temple nearby. I then went into the Retching Netch, learned of the history of the name (lol) and slept for 24 hours.

Then the Dragonborn quest completed and I was transported into the main dungeon for the Miraak quest, that ends with reading the book.

Wtf? I checked the wiki briefly (I'm at work, so I skimmed it) but none of what I experienced showed up there, not even in the bug section. Did this happen to anyone else? Did I just miss the explanation for what happened?

This is normal for Solstheim. Until you've done some stuff in the expansion's main quest then sleeping in most places will transport you to one of the strange temples being built and temporarily turn you into one of the mindslaved laborers. It won't always take you to Miraak's Temple, but it certainly can.