Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
made a small enough town, but i'm feelin' of some omnipotent being taking and destroying my idea.

Just sayin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Well poo poo, no wonder everybody's been getting sick and dying! I put a Water Pumping station, but no drain pipes! I thought 6 clinics and one hospital would fix it, but nope, now I'm broke.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Not sure why these virtual people are complaining about traffic, I live in houston, so the worst this game has to throw for traffic is actually pretty normal. #houston #htown #nimby

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 6, 2015

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Barn Owl posted:

Without the hyper aggressive traffic and a percentage of your population dying on the roads it can't be Houston.

Now that I think about it, my Oil industry district is pitifully small, and only a few major roads are so packed, instead of everywhere else.

That and the Crime rate is just shy of 6%, but that's probably because there's no scenario where a neighboring state suffered a hurricane or something, so forget what i said.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I didn't even read that hitting page up or page down could create highways. It just opened an entire new door of terrible ideas on how to fix the traffic problem where you first began.

I believe one idea that Colossal Order should do is have the option to start in other plots of land that has a highway, rather than the same plot of land to start with.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I like how it's still on the top sellers list. This is everything I wanted Sim City to be, minus the disasters, but plus the actual loving city building that it was made for.

Not only that, but this is the only City builder where I have achieved what I thought was impossible, making Skyscrapers and providing enough goods and services so they could upgrade into them.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm having a little trouble with Natural Resources. I would love for my city to produce Oil and agricultural products locally, but every one of these locations I got are usually not operating correctly because they need more workers.

I got a Metro station, bus lines, an at least a connection out of town to these locations, what more do these people want? I think it's maybe because I made the rest of my city into a skyscraper maze full of wealthy people and plenty of office space.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

a7m2 posted:

They might be too educated.

That's probably it. I got about six universities.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Is there a mod that lets you name your roads and streets?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
This game is making me learn how to make a proper transportation system. Like i said earlier in the thread, I think i'll just make a hosed up form of Houston's 610, and then build outward from there.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
This game is making me learn how to make a proper transportation system. Like i said earlier in the thread, I think i'll just make a hosed up form of Houston's 610, and then build outward from there.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
While this is supremely cool, I think i'll stick to the American buildings, thanks.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
So, enabling all buildings unlocked prevents you from getting steam cheevoes, but can you still unlock Tier special buildings?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

BigRed0427 posted:

I just figured out that when it comes to planning a city, especially road layout, I have no imagination. :( I just go with square or rectangle shaped blocks.

I did the same thing too. Give it some more cities and you'll find that once you make a pleasant district with winding roads that still maximize zoning, you try some more poo poo.

It took me this game to finally figure out how to loving make highways. They were rocket science to me in the Sim City games, I just ended up making a half assed tunnel in the middle of nowhere that cost me several thousand simoleons.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Poil posted:

They could go for always online. :haw:

Luckily Cities: Skylines has future tech that lets you save your games manually.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 3, 2015

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
What the hell is a bike lane anyway? I live in houston.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm worried that the only the most majestic and complex of cities will be backed by 6 or so 15 dollar paradox interactive style dlc

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I haven't bought and downloaded After Dark yet, but after a few months of not playing, I can clearly tell that my city no longer looks like a fake utopia that always has the daytime thanks to the updated lighting.

Unfortunately though, this means that the lighting effects and everything make every single industrial area I have look like china smog.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Thinking about purchasing After dark half off. But is Snowfall worth it????????????????????????????????

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
trams or trans? Really sensitive subject here??

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Ad by Khad posted:

Really enjoying this new railway metro stuff on the workshop that allows you to have elevated/regular/underground rail stations, but man does it ever result in a maze of tunnels and tracks and bridges and poo poo.

Also that little mod that lets you name roads is really growing on me.

There's something cool about being able to name your major streets and when you're sharing screenshots it makes problems much easier to describe. It's not shown because I fixed it with a timed light, but Statue Rd was a mess of left-turners.

What's the road mod called? I'd really like to know, because I've been wanting a mod like this since the game launched.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 5, 2016

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
This is such a wonderful game, the city building game the genre so desperately needed. I still remember the Sim City Thread where it was just nothing but despair and Maxis never apologizing about that horrible, limited, online-only, lovely borefest that always autosaved.

It's a shame that Cities destroys my processor once I hit about 100,000 people. Otherwise, this is a great game to just take it easy, drink or two minimum game, letting your imagination dictate the look and size of your city. Oooh, Okay, I got some space here, I want to make a series of Apartment complexes here to meet the demand of the commercial and office district I just placed there, I'll name it the Belmont District, time to break out of my shell and make some curved roads and add some roads here and add some parks...

I just get lost in the game, it's great stuff. I haven't even bought the DLC or anything, and now that I think about it, one of my best cities has nothing but Solar power, I don't think that poo poo is gonna fly anymore now that time exists.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

TRON JEREMY posted:

it's still better than living in Dunk

Looks like either a mining colony with a hosed up 1950s social experiment, or houston a few weeks ago. exciting stuff.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Whoa.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

MikeJF posted:

Apparently there's a few side effects of the tourism fix that they forgot to fix.

People are also reporting noticeable increases in cars on the external highways.

This human centipede traffic of yours is pretty hosed up

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Mister Adequate posted:

:unsmith: Thanks goonfriend, I was overstating it a bit but I do sometimes get disheartened by just how good some of this stuff is. Gotta just keep playing though, one day I'll be the one everyone envies!

You just take the ideas run it along with your own.

example, It was absolutely awesome for me when I made the transition of fixed 90 degree angle roads to making curved custom roads and I felt like a goddamn painter who had a revelation. It was all due to seeing some crazy awesome city somebody put a picture of here.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Mandalay posted:

Every time I got really frustrated with Cities Skylines's traffic simulation, I'd resolve to find a better game. For a while I re-installed Simcity 5.

I always came back to Skylines :(

It's funny to me that Simcity 2013 is the game where we had a thread about talking about Banished and other upcoming games instead.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 4, 2016

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Jose posted:

i bought this ages ago and was playing today and what is the trick behind really advancing? I have a load of money because i had it on max speed while i tried to figure out getting my transport to improve but i'm only earning like $6k and have around 8000 pop

Keep meeting the demands of your Residential/Commercial/Industrial needs and keep growing. As long as you have the bare essentials, you'll have a decent chunk of money that'll let you just go hog wild.

Every city I put work into i learned something new, so don't be surprised if your first city is poo poo and turns into a city full of dead people because you forgot to put power lines into your waste pipes, and that putting hospitals everywhere didn't fix anything and put you in the poorhouse after everyone died.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
best way to play this game is with Sim Broadway from Sim City 3000 playing in the background

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
It's been awhile since i posted here. I bought the game when it came out and when it didn't have a weather or day/night cycle. I don't even have the first expansion, after dark.

Question, now that there's a sale going on with the new release, any advice on expansions that are useful? I'm being selective here because although i really like playing this, I'm not gonna spend 100 bucks on a bundle.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Came across the Simcity 3 and 4 soundtracks on Youtube. Seriously brings back the nostalgia for me; also happens to be great background music for working. I figure several people in this thread probably also have a large section of grey matter dedicated to smooth jazz city-building music.

SC3K
SC4

gently caress yeah good choice, I play the sc3k soundtrack always when I play cities skylines.

Want to point out that both are also available on Spotify too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Picked this game up last weekend and...is it normal for half your population to die and or move in two weeks?

I haven't played in awhile, but to me this happens when i forget the water pumps require electricity, so by never plugging them i kinda accidentally pollute the drinking water causing a giant deathwave