Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Minorkos posted:

The Pip Boy turned out to be a bad fit for human forearms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgBbzthuVLA

Better get to making some foam padding if you were actually planning on wearing this thing

Just eat more junk food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

Anybody else already have their first ten perks or so planned out? Gonna go crazy with the crafting.

Just dumping into INT, with point in other SPECIAL to pick up survivability perks, then all VATs, and finally those perks that can compel NPCs to give up. I want to gunslinger weapons out of people's hands, then intimidate everyone into sniveling little babies.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

One perk point per level, I assume?

Have any of the leaks indicated how fast leveling is and/or how high of a level we should expect to reach? I'm wondering how feasible it will be to recreate my usual Fallout 3/NV build of "sneak, snipe, lockpick, hack, persuade" given the SPECIAL requirements for perks and all that.

No clue on leveling rate, but there is no level cap, so don't worry too much about it.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Fergus posted:

Obviously we know that there were a large number of vaults in the U.S. But is there anything that would point to similar ventures in other nations around the world? Is it possible that a majority of nations in the world had their own vault-tec style fail safe system?

Don't even joke about commies surviving.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
I was hoping to do a 'pacifist' run with all of those charisma perks, but poo poo, the limited number of dialog cues is going to make that super obnoxious. Might have to wait on that playthrough until I can get a mod that hacks up all of the protagonist's lines to add some variety.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

My PC barely hits minimum hardware requirements even though it runs Crysis 2 on very high. That's nuts. It runs most PS4 games at very high (such as Battlefield 4, Reaper of Souls, Dark Souls 2 Scholar, Metro Last Light, MGSV), should I still get the steam version? I was thinking because FO4 has a console release, my PC should still run it with better graphics and a locked 30FPS.
It's a i2500k at 4.2GHZ, 8GB of memory and an AMD 6970.

Get it on PC. The console CPUs are major bottlenecks; a i5 2500K stock runs circles around the things. Your GPU is barely behind the 7870ish in the PS4, and since your CPU is tossing frame data at the GPU more quickly it has more time to render. I would be concerned if this were a DX12 release, but it isn't. Just tinker with settings as needed. You should be fine. The situation is, you'll have an identical-to-console experience at worst. That, and you have the option to even drop settings to get better framerates if you just don't care. Personally, I will probably be dropping settings. My system is basically no better (7850) but I could stand for better framerates.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Praetorian Mage posted:

I don't know anything about programming, so I'm curious: Could there be a good reason to change the format other than to lock down modding to Bethesda.net only?
Yes. Without going into details, yes. The simple argument is that the content structure is so radically different that using the existing file formats just doesn't make sense. If they started from the ground up with a new system (which is likely in some areas of development for a new generation of hardware), then it is a good idea to not keep with the old format, even if the end result turns out to be very similar. Otherwise, mind that file extensions don't mean much of anything on their own. You can embed all sorts of things to jpegs, for example. Change the file extension to .zip or whatever, and depending on what was done with the file, you suddenly have an archive file that is packed with videos. Needless to say it would be suspiciously large filesize for a jpeg, but I digress.

Point is, they're working on a new generation of hardware. A lot of things probably changed. Simply keeping the old file formats out of tradition doesn't make sense if it could cause confusion during development. Besides, encryption for trying to lock down stuff like this is a losing game. They can't change the encryption after the fact, and once the community figures out the encryption the game is over. The only 'encryption' we're likely to see is on the BA2 files (Bethesda Archive 2nd generation) and that's just a matter of encryption methods often resembling compression.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Lakbay posted:

That was a microscopic pocket of high level enemies to make sure players didn't travel directly north to vegas and went around the map.

There were a bunch of Giant Rad scorpions on the way south, past Primm. They were off the road, but you could definitely see them. Most were off to the far side, near the map border, but a couple were in the salt flat. I suspect they were slapped in there to encourage the player to not get side tracked, but stick to the road and -you know- actually track down the guy who shot you in the head. It works on me, at least.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Actually builds are probably more relevant than ever in Fallout 4. There isn't THAT much experience to go around in the game, just because you can theoretically level forever doesn't mean it's reasonable to do so. Like I said, having watched a bunch of leakers, I'd guess the average player ends the game in the high 50's/low 60's range, which is pretty much just enough for a focused build considering multiple perk ranks and such. Unlike the previous two games where with minimal amounts of effort (mostly just having high starting Intelligence) you could trivially become a master of all things in vanilla.
I'm actually rather impressed with how elegant the system seems.

I mean, there is nothing really stopping you from grinding out 10 attributes in all SPECIAL. Nothing but 43 levels. 43 levels of nearly the exact same performance you had at level 1. SPECIAL seem primarily about gating perks. Perks are the real deal. The trick, is the system enables you to make immediate and significant strides toward your intended playstyle. You're not waiting until level 20 or 30 for a 'class defining' perk. You're getting a slice of it right out the door, and they're still substantial slices. +20% damage is no joke. At level 2 you will legitimately be proficient at something. By level 10, you will probably have the base tier of all class vital perks, and effectively be playing exactly the way you want to ultimately be playing, and continue doing just that for the next 30 levels. By the time you hit level 43, sure, you have exactly the same SPECIAL, but you will actually be ultimate sneak, or gunslinger, or melee bruiser. That guy with 10 SPECIAL across the board? Maybe he doubled his HP, but you also did that, and then some.

So SPECIAL are class defining. You pick your spread, and while they can be corrected, or even maxed, the fact you're looking at a double XP+ (minimum) investment to actually get any new perks is balancing. Think about it. Make a character with 1 str. Decide that character wasn't maximum effective power armor. That's 9 levels of very little benefit (carry weight is actually pretty rad). THEN you can start gaining XP toward FINALLY investing in Pain Train. On the other hand, the system has the flexibility to facilitate an already strong character becoming even stronger without such a task being so tedious.

Now, it could all fall apart in practice. If XP/level gain is super fast or super slow, or has a weird curve, but conceptually I am really liking it... on paper.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

TorakFade posted:

this reminds me once again that I need a proper character builder when I can actually insert perks and stuff, that nukahub thing is a good reference but I can't actually PLAN my build there, and the other build planner was a piece of crap that wouldn't display right on my computer :argh:

The one we have really serves the most important bit; planning your starting SPECIAL. You get quick feed back on what you need for each perk, and whether your SPECIAL can afford what is most vital, so you can start spending on those perks from level 2 and onward. Yes, there are level requirements, but those will probably take care of themselves, since a good initial SPECIAL distribution is going to start you with like 5 or 6 perks that you want to invest in immediately. By the time you get them, second tiers start openning up, and before you can even think about buying another SPECIAL attribute to unlock a new perk you are further improving the perks that are already available.

It seems to me that the intent is your SPECIAL really shouldn't be changing much over a playthrough. Look at the perks. Decide which are absolutely vital to your desired playstyle. Try to get as many of them unlocked with the starting SPECIAL. From there, things should take care of themselves.

The only real concern from there is things like bobble heads and that is weighted by the relative ease of actually finding the Bobbleheads, which doesn't easily factor into a simple stat calculator.

But maybe I am looking at things wrong.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Coolwhoami posted:

Pascal's wager but for games. But what if Todd Howard is God, and we don't believe in him???

It just works

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

i have a pipboy and i like it a lot but my phone doesn't fit.
dremel. YOLO

frajaq posted:

it just works man
This actually makes me very happy. Not even in that school girl sort of way. I'm just happy to see the settlements construction stuff will let me make dumb structures that are more functional than they are physically possible.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Jank. Jank never changes.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

Get ready for Nvidia numbers

Please tell me this isn't a joke.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

snuff posted:

When are the reviews coming out? The goon opinions from the two(why?) Fallout 4 threads in Games are mostly filled with low effort troll posts and no real information.

Somewhere around 8-9AM PST. Basically the same time it officially unlocks for 'someone'.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

Fallout 3, yes. Skyrim was on the 10th, the day before the game launched.

Same difference. FO4 technically doesn't officially release until the 10th, this Tuesday. The embargo lifts today, on the 9th, one day before release.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Sajeezzar posted:

I didn't find if this has been asked before, but I have my textures set to Ultra and they look like they are not even loading. Everything looks super muddy for me and I don't notice a difference between Ultra and Medium settings for textures. Looks like poo poo's stuck on Low.

Everything working as intended. Texture quality setting supposedly adjusts the mipmap levels, but I'm guessing the engine is designed to adjust everything based on available VRAM, so even if you set it lowest, but have high anisotropy settings and otherwise enough VRAM to load everything may completely override it. Speculative, of course. People have only had less than a day to really dig in there, but not even nvidia gameworks tweak guide can make heads or tails.

In short, you're already seeing the "Ultra" textures.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

HnK416 posted:

I get the game running on Ultra with a stable(and locked) 30fps and it's all good and fun until I step inside some interior space with fog. Plummeted to the single digits. Any idea of what setting I could gently caress with to help out with that?

Lighting and Godrays. Set both down to medium. The difference in quality for either is imperceptible to near imperceptible.

If that doesn't do it, I dunno. The game is strange. When I am outdoors my framerates are hit hardest on the CPU, I'll be chuggin along at like 80% utilization while my GPU can get as log as 40%. Indoors, the situation is nearly reversed, with some 40% CPU, and 90%+ GPU.

The engine is strange, and poorly implemented. I can't say what your issue is specifically, but the engine is clearly not effectively utilizing system resources.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Phenotype posted:

How do I make a guy that can use energy weapons? The only damage perk that looks remotely close is Radiation damage at INT 9, which seems like an enormous investment. Does "non-automatic rifle" or whatever apply to anything, even if shoots plasma?

Energy weapons that fall into the other weapons perks will benefit. So a laser pistol will benefit from the Gunslinger perk, and the Laser Musket will benefit from the Rifleman perk. The only deviation from another other build for energy weapons would be picking up Science for the mods.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Tei posted:

Based on my own logic, if 210 years ago somebody kidnaped a baby from a hibernation chamber, by now the babie will be either a 211 years old lady, or a small mountain of bones, probably a small mountain of bones.
1 and half hour in the game, and it seems we play as a logic challenged lady / men, or some mentally broken person.

Not sure if you noticed, but the baby wasn't kidnapped when you were first put in the freezer.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

ymgve posted:

If anyone has trouble with FPS dips in cities - turn down Shadow Distance to medium. Biggest performance improver I've found.

Note, this is also one of the few effect changes that can have a substantial impact on visual quality. The difference between medium and high is the difference between far distance shadows. I personally can't get away with shadow distance higher than medium, but if you're looking for settings to try BEFORE this, try Lighting, and GodRays. Turn both down to medium; the impact on visual quality is near imperceptible. The examples on I really had to try to spot the differences on the geforce.com tweak guide (which has since been taken down :tinfoil: )

Chances are, you're going to need to cut shadows. All depends on the performance load. Shadows seem to burden the CPU, lighting/godrays are going to be GPU.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it's great that power armour is actually a uniquely big deal instead of just a regular piece of equipment in your inventory with just some more DR. It'd be nice if there was a way to just bring it over to you instead of having to manually retrieve it every time, though. Having a vertibird swoop by and airdrop it right on your position would be pretty great, or maybe just some high-tech teleporting doodad. Hopefully there'll be some mods to take care of that soon-ish.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55673/

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Settlements connected via a supply line share resources in addition to scrap, so your 40 person water tank is good for two maxed out settlements.

I don't think they share anything produced on the AID tab. Only Junk.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

you'll end up really high level for story missions if you do that. I just did the mission where you fight a courser for the first time and oneshot him because I was way too strong for that mission :v:

A lot of the main quest content scales. It isn't a big deal. I put it all off and I'm low 30s right now. Last mission I did had a bunch of level 30 synths, and the named NPC you go after was level 30. Don't worry about out leveling the main quest. There may still be some unscaled content in there, but that's the nature of the game. If everything scales you lose sense of progression, if nothing scales, milestones don't feel like anything important. They struck an OK balance here, but it does mean some events are going to make some surprising swings in 'difficulty'.

How did you build your character? If you have a bunch of stacked damage perks, that's probably your 'problem'. I have not invest a single point into any of the + damage perks, playing on Hard, and while a lot of enemies can be a bit of a damage sponge it's all still fairly well balanced. Chances are, it's just a symptom of your build. Otherwise, turn the difficulty up a notch, and spend a couple of perks on survivability over more damage, but you probably shouldn't ignore it. My damage is really starting to hold me back; but it's pretty clear that if I had double damage, nothing would be much of any threat at all, and I'd have to turn the difficulty up again, but Hard feels like a good balance for player durability, so I'd rather not do that.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

The Goatfather posted:

will i stop gettng steam achievements if i use the console to fix a thing

Nah. I used tcl to get unstuck, player.addinventory after losing some garbage. Console commands don't seem to bar you from achievements. I will tend to save&quit, but I can at least confirm it isn't necessary for probably most console commands, but you may want to avoid tgm if nothing else. I figure they assume you could just as well mod the game, and unless they want to set a blanket "no achievements with mods" flag there is no way to moderate it since there could just as well be mods designed explicitly to give you whatever benefits you want without flipping some sort of 'anti-cheat' system.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

discarded box posted:

Wait what? Can someone elaborate on the bolded part? You can get the game to highlight poo poo? I have like 50+ hrs played and had no idea this was possible. How?

Highlight any item in a crafting menu, and look at the UI interface help (bottom of the screen). There is a key for "Tag items". Press that, and items that you are lacking for the recipe will be tagged, so that anytime you are looking at junk while wandering around, if it will yield the base parts (copper, steel, oil, etc) it will have a magnifying glass next to it, so you don't have to keep a mental record of what items give what components.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Pictured: Me turning on god mode because a suicider super mutant spawned exactly where I am placed upon leaving this building, already hostile to me, already in the process of blowing himself up, leaving me no way of not being instantly killed. Good job, Bethesda.

"Someone there?" - Super Mutant Suicider who is already fully aware of the person they are about to blow to hell

Just take some Med-X and Rad-X, you big baby.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

CJacobs posted:

what part of instant death do you not understand, in that screenshot the screen is still fading in from black after loading

Look, if you weren't already high as a kite, that's a you problem.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

xutech posted:

I was doing borers and got my powered armour trapped down the watery pit.

Not going to be able to get it out, but good thing the map shows me where it is.

Worst case you should still be able to grab the plating. Frames are all over the place. Bummer, though.

Attestant posted:

So if there's no energy weapon specific perk-line (besides the radiation one) does this mean that the various Pistol, Rifle etc perks also affect energy weapons of that type?

For example if I take the pistol one, will it also boost laser pistols?

That is correct.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

Speaking of armor, does anyone know of other upgradeable outfits like the Silver Shroud Armor? That one has new versions you can get at levels 25, 35, and 45 to stay current defensively. I wish I could do that with Kellogg's Outfit, too.

Are there any other outfits that work that way?
Minuteman General's armor seems to work the same. It didn't seem very good when I got it, but it's now up to like 45 and 80 energy resist, making it one of the better armors I have, at least as a function of limb damage. Haven't been crippled in forever. If the armor values at the bottom of the inventory screen are any indication, I probably take more direct health damage though; the values there are lower than if I equip with combat armor to all body parts.

I haven't actually seen it increase in stats, though. I just vaguely recall writing off when I first picked it up.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Well, this is a thing.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/388794745866697105/7D8AFA5DDEA8808B88A266396901C3AE0B2E516A/

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

So that's why your damage just takes a nose dive on survival.

Not quite

quote:

Note that this is applied *after* the ratio and exponent are calculated, so damage resistance is applied on the base potential weapon damage, before difficulty-based multipliers are included in. This means that damage resistance is the same level of effectiveness (or ineffectiveness) on every difficulty level.
You do gently caress all damage on survival because you do gently caress all damage on survival. The difficulty modifier has no unique interactions with the damage formula. If you took 20 damage on normal, you would take 40 damage on Survival. If you damaged something for 20 on normal, you would damage it for 10 on Survival (or something like that. Incoming damage might not be 2x).

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Iceshade posted:

What's the difference between Very Hard and Survival? It appears that on both difficulties you deal 0.5x damage, and take 2x damage. Legendary on Very Hard is 2x, Survival is 3x.

What happens to enemy HP on Very Hard and Survival though? My google-fu appears to let me down :downs:

You heal slower on Survival.

Nothing else changes. Enemy HP is the same.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

So is there a reason why I can't send settlers or followers to either Sanctuary or The Castle Now? Is it because I have max settlers for both?

If it already has like 4 provisioners going to/from, you can not send any more. You only need one line to any given settlement to share resources between it and all other settlements connected on the same network.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Wait does survival really only change the healing rate from items? I had no idea the damage ratio was the same. If that's the case then I really don't get all the bullet sponge enemy complaints.

Probably just a product of dying when trying to burn down an NPC. Since you can stim and face tank (barely) thanks to the regen giving you the edge on Very Hard, NPCs seem to have less health because they simply die before you do. On Survival those situations will end with you dead because the health regen fails to outpace the incoming damage and it just seems the enemy has a lot of health, where they _effectively_ have a ton of health either way.

But yeah, it kinda confused me too. Personally, I'm not bothering with either. I don't like silly damage spikes, and I'm literally swimming in hundreds of stims on Hard difficulty. Having them heal even slower would likely just result in me having that many more stims because I'm playing that much more carefully.

I would like to have Survival as a toggle, like NV Hardcore, that both slowed health regen, but also dramatically reduced stim pack drop rates to like 1/10th of their current rate. Something to give value to all of the meats and cooking, since you couldn't always count on the stims being there. As is, they might as well replace caps as currency.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
So, Preston won't really interact with me. This happened after retaking The Castle. I was still getting Minuteman Settlement quests, but I can't trade or really talk to him. I took him off guard duty at Sanctuary, but still nothing. I think he hates me. :ohdear: Maybe Splash damage from using the missile launcher during the Mirelurk Queen fight? Is this supposed to happen, or is there a way to fix this? I really want that "Unite We Stand" perk.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

have you completed whatever incidental minutemen quests you have active?

No actually. Couple are way off at the ends of the map. I'll worry about it until after those are wrapped up. Thanks. Kind of poo poo if they tied his Companion availability to whether there is an active quest with him. How can we Stand United, if United We do not Stand?!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Rookersh posted:

As someone with literally zero modding experience, how hard would it be to make a mod that shares food/water across all settlements if you have supply lines set up?

Because between Abernathy Farm/Sanctuary, I have enough food/water for years. Let me ship it to my other communities!

Technically, they are shared, but only for crafting stations. For example, when you go into the workbench storage and look at the junk stored there, it doesn't tally up to what you see listed as available from a crafting bench, or in build mode. I suppose the easiest solution would be to have every workbench point to the same container, but it might make supply lines pointless. Something more complex MIGHT require the construction kit, but I suspect it might be possible with whatever people are using to make mods already.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Pretty loving easy considering the base game already works like that.
It does, but it doesn't. I have like 50+ water stored at Sanctuary, but only like 5 at Hangman's Ally, but they are definitely linked by a supply line. I DO have access to that water when crafting, but that is the extent. I can't just pull it out of the workbench storage and sell the water I have rolling in at Sanctuary hills and sell it at my vendors in Hangman's Ally unless I fast travel over there and pull it out manually.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

Uh, Piper now sounds like a generator. Anyone else encounter that bug and is there a fix?

Had this problem with Sturges sounding like a drat Vertibird. It corrected itself after a while. Just leave to a far away cell. Save and quit. If that doesn't work, do the same but pass like 3 in-game days or something. At any rate, it will probably correct itself if you leave her alone for a couple of days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Danaru posted:

If I leave Sanctuary unguarded can they kill the people I can't move? I'm uprooting and moving everyone I like to the Castle. Sanctuary's kind of a hot poo poo pile anyway.

If the happiness drops settlers will eventually leave. Whether they means they get killed by raiders or just look for greener pastures, results are the same.

• Locked thread