Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
I know they've gotten a bit of a reputation lately. But for as long as I can remember I have always wanted to be an Officer of the Law. I have some events in my life that are truly showing me that I will never be really happy with my life unless I am doing something I can be proud of my self for.

The only problem is, I feel like I'm drowning in an ocean of information. There's just so much out there and varying details of whats required that even change with in the same website.

My goals so far in the grand scheme of things are to get fit enough to pass the PAT and get my Washington State license. I know there are other certifications neccesary but I honestly can't get any concrete information on what those are.

Also, please for the sake of the thread try to avoid devolving into POLICE ARE A PART OF THE GREAT SATAN arguments. I just need information

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Did you try calling your local police department and asking them

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
The bar is surprisingly low. Your local PD should have all the information you need. Barring a severe physical or mental deficiency you should be fine.

fivethree
Jul 28, 2014
same

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I bet if you just started acting like a policeman, just like around town or something, bring in a few criminals, issue a few speeding tickets, after long they'll be calling you to join!

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Police Academy 3 is where I'd start

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Forgive me father for I have sinned
You can't be too smart.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

ZoneManagement posted:

You can't be too smart.
Oh yes you can.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Just start shooting black people freelance, and eventually you'll get an offer to go pro with it.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Just walk into the Police Department and tell them that you'll be the hardest worker they've ever seen and they p. much have to give you the job.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

:thejoke:

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003
that was mean of me.

good luck

PromethiumX fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 29, 2015

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Dial 911 and ask them.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
If you steal one of their guns, they have to make you a cop. It's a cop law.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

in this economy it's a whole lot easier to find work if you've got some experience in the field. Start your own police department with any of your buddies that have similar inclinations, hang out on the sidewalk and demand money from anyone who comes by, find out where anyone else might be selling drugs on your turf and kick in their door and take the drugs, maybe beat up or kill a few suspicious-looking kids to show the rest who's boss. Remember that branding is key in these things, while you probably can't afford custom matching paintjobs on all your cars you can definitely afford some spraycans and a sweet-sounding theme name to put up on blocks you enforce, something like Los Angeles de Muertos or The Aryan Alliance

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

in this economy it's a whole lot easier to find work if you've got some experience in the field. Start your own police department with any of your buddies that have similar inclinations, hang out on the sidewalk and demand money from anyone who comes by, find out where anyone else might be selling drugs on your turf and kick in their door and take the drugs, maybe beat up or kill a few suspicious-looking kids to show the rest who's boss. Remember that branding is key in these things, while you probably can't afford custom matching paintjobs on all your cars you can definitely afford some spraycans and a sweet-sounding theme name to put up on blocks you enforce, something like Los Angeles de Muertos or The Aryan Alliance

This is just stupid... because you left out the most important thing, which is having an easily identifiable uniform. If you can't find a uniform that resembles your city's police force then you should decide on your own. Ideally you want your uniforms to be the same as much as possible, particularly in color. Try and pick a color that isn't predominantly seen in the neighborhood you are policing: if you notice a lot of people wearing red then wear blue, and vice versa.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Jimson posted:

I know they've gotten a bit of a reputation lately. But for as long as I can remember I have always wanted to be an Officer of the Law. I have some events in my life that are truly showing me that I will never be really happy with my life unless I am doing something I can be proud of my self for.

The only problem is, I feel like I'm drowning in an ocean of information. There's just so much out there and varying details of whats required that even change with in the same website.

My goals so far in the grand scheme of things are to get fit enough to pass the PAT and get my Washington State license. I know there are other certifications neccesary but I honestly can't get any concrete information on what those are.

Also, please for the sake of the thread try to avoid devolving into POLICE ARE A PART OF THE GREAT SATAN arguments. I just need information

Go to police academy. It helps if you have a college degree first, but I don't think it matters what it's in.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'll give a serious response.

Check out local departments, OP, and see if they are hiring (they usually are but they are at the mercy of local budgets as to how many they can take on). You should be in good physical shape (you don't have to look like Bane from The Dark Knight Rises but fit enough that you don't get winded easily and can lift a human body) and not have any mental deficiencies that would disqualify you (they have standards they cannot bend even if they are severely short-staffed). It's a long process to become an officer that includes psychological tests, lie detectors and of course the police academy and if you get disqualified for any reason do not take it personal it's just the system. If you have any criminal history or smoked weed as a teenager (the latter will not disqualify you if it's way in the past and you aren't around it anymore; a lot of cops are ex-smokers) or something be open and honest about that if asked and accept what decisions they make as a result.

College helps but remember there are a lot of standards that come before that that require you to pass.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015
Well, it depends.

Some police departments have very low standards while others require a little bit more.

You will have to take a 'are you fawkin stupid' test first just to make sure that you are not a herpy derp.

Most will require some form of fitness test.....aka running an obstacle course and such under a certain time limit.

Everyone will require you have a law enforcement certificate from the state. You typically get this through their academy.

The better departments will require a college diploma. Typically a four degree in a related study. Texas DPS only requires a certain amount of college hours.....be it criminal justice or basic basket weaving.

Of course, these departments pay more but are harder to get into........Tx DPS not so much......if you cant work in the field, you get to patrol a desk in the local DMV office.

But be prepared to spend hours in a cramped prowler while wearing uncomfortable gear but punctuated with ten to twenty minutes of 'dukes of hazzard' schitt every once in a while.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
One option is to look at getting hired with your local County Sheriff's Office/Dept. Less competition than being hired directly into a 'Police Academy' in whatever city. In most areas, the Sheriff is responsible for operating the correctional system for the subjects the various municipalities arrest, and keep those that are either unable to post bond pre-trial, or are sentenced on lower charges that don't require them being sent to a State facility. (In addition to their patrol division obviously). Many departments hire Correction's Officers with zero experience. (You can also consider a civilian position, as the primary thing is that you get hired).

Once hired, you can apply to attend their in-house BPOC (Basic Peace Officer Course), usually held yearly for ~7 months that you attend, while still doing your regular assignment. The benefit with this is that it is generally for free, as it is for employees only and a part of your potential career ladder. This would also allow you the time to get yourself in the right physical condition, as well as learning that agency's policies while you're employed there already. The down side is that depending on the size of the agency, seniority plays a big part and it may take a couple of years to get the seniority to be selected.

AlwaysBeSithing
Aug 27, 2015

by Ralp
Have a couple friends you trust to give references. My friend was becoming a cop and I got a call from the station first question after confirming my name 15 seconds into the call he asked "If Ryan pulled over your mother alone on a deserted road at midnight would you be comfortable with that?"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

AlwaysBeSithing posted:

Have a couple friends you trust to give references. My friend was becoming a cop and I got a call from the station first question after confirming my name 15 seconds into the call he asked "If Ryan pulled over your mother alone on a deserted road at midnight would you be comfortable with that?"

...i really wouldn't know how to interpret this question

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Ithaqua posted:

Did you try calling your local police department and asking them
If you have to start a goon thread instead of picking up the telephone and calling the local precinct, you should be forever barred from becoming a police officer.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Remember, as a cop when you shoot someone if you teabag their corpse it doesn't cause them to rage quit.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hey o.p., i'm not an American, but I have watched a lot of youtube videos and 90% of the cops in them are very overweight and dim-witted people. From further observations i concluded that they also talk in a very authoritative voice and say "sir" and "maaaam'" a lot.

Hope this helps you, don't give up on your dreams!

Desetr Eagle
Aug 21, 2015

by Ralp
how much do you hate minorities? Like a little, or A LOT (this might seem like a dumb question but it is actaully really important). Also how much do you like the idea of ruining peoples lives over trivial bullshit like recreational drugs?

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
If you have a degree, a clean record, and no mental illness, it shouldn't be too hard.

Most departments have several recruiting periods a year and the difficulty of getting picked upin one is inversely related to how bad they need people.

Do a few ride alongs to meet some officers who can later vouch for you, but mostly to decide if it's what you want to do. Its a lot more boring than tv makes it seem.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

waitwhatno posted:

Hey o.p., i'm not an American, but I have watched a lot of youtube videos and 90% of the cops in them are very overweight and dim-witted people. From further observations i concluded that they also talk in a very authoritative voice and say "sir" and "maaaam'" a lot.

Hope this helps you, don't give up on your dreams!

That's because the department they work for doesn't have annual physicals.

Fat cops tend to come from small towns and sheriff departments where IQ and running ability are not their strong points.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

Teflon Don posted:

Dial 911 and ask them.

Tried this. Now my dog is dead. Any other ideas?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Jimson posted:

Try again and this time mention being African-American.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Necc0 posted:

The bar is surprisingly low. Your local PD should have all the information you need. Barring a severe physical or mental deficiency you should be fine.

Depends on the location really. While the requirements are generally the same everywhere, the number of people applying will greatly skew what's needed to be considered. In smaller towns, being physically fit and not a retard are sometimes enough. In larger cities where you might be competing with 5000 other applicants, some secondary education and community volunteering go a long way in getting yourself noticed.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

Jimson posted:

Answer the door yourself instead.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Desetr Eagle posted:

how much do you hate minorities? Like a little, or A LOT (this might seem like a dumb question but it is actaully really important). Also how much do you like the idea of ruining peoples lives over trivial bullshit like recreational drugs?

woah, you stuck it to the MAN

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

kmcormick9 posted:

If you have a degree

Do not get a criminal justice degree.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
If you're serious about it, head over the the Ask a Cop thread. Some of that is covered in the OP the new OP doesn't really have any info in it now, but the guys there are very good about answering questions and have guys in departments as huge as NYPD to a small as bumfuck South Dakota. The biggest agreement is DO NOT GET A CRIMINAL JUSTICE DEGREE. The ONLY reason to get one is if the school also includes police academy as part of the degree so that you finish school with a degree and a state certification so you can start applying right away instead of finding that you now have to put yourself through academy for another $5k-15k (since the recession it's rare to find departments that will put you through academy, they now expect you to do that yourself). If you are interested in federal law enforcement get a degree in Accounting/Computer Science/Law (J.D.) or Chemistry and be prepared for it to take 18+ months to even begin to start the hiring process. In general, if you are going to college, get a degree that can also be useful outside of policing in case you end up injured on the job and have to retire, start the job only to find it's not for you, or just so you can get a job in between graduating and applying (it's a long process anywhere). It's also a pretty competitive job market so you need stuff like exceptional grades and internships (seriously, I can't stress internships enough).

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 3, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

My old boss was a fairly high ranking ex cop who had done undercover work, and she was very honest about the job.

The poster above is correct, a lot of people with law degrees do wind up in the leadership track of the police, because law degrees are loving useless (she was my boss while I was a law student) and being a police pays better out the gate. But she also came out of it being extremely against prohibition of drugs because it is a hugely racist scam on the part of law enforcement to get money and fun equipment (eg helicopters) from the feds and wasn't shy about how racist a ton of cops are and how she knew of ways to beat the gently caress out of you without leaving a mark (and didn't quite get how disturbing that was). Anyway yeah for decent departments it seems you need a college degree and you should probably get one that is useful in general not just for being a cop or pre-law (again, law school is a scam).

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Necc0 posted:

Barring a severe physical or mental deficiency you should be fine.

All goons are disqualified. GiP cops are fakers.

killaer
Aug 4, 2007

IRQ posted:

how she knew of ways to beat the gently caress out of you without leaving a mark

hows that even possible?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

killaer posted:

hows that even possible?

seriously?

poo poo can hurt without bruising man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

killaer posted:

hows that even possible?

Hit someone with a phonebook, alternatively hold a phonebook to someones head, then punch the phonebook.

• Locked thread