Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I am announcing a new

:coffeepal: ECCO GAME :coffeepal:

A thread will be made and signups will be taken on Monday of next week. Since it's me it'll probably start sometime Q1 2016.

The theme is "dragons."

It will probably be a big game but it might be a mini stay tuned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Rarity posted:

Perhaps a vocab section in the OP would be useful?

I think the wiki covers most common vocab really well, and I suspect Foo just wanted to make a first post without saying "first post yeah woo."

Lumpen posted:

lynch (lĭnch)

Note also that many players also use variations like "execution," "hang," and the humorous "plorp" and "cuddle", since the word "lynch" has a lot of really nasty racial baggage, especially in a US context.

=====

I have a genuine question about alignment-changing roles and I am wondering if you all can help me. As a mod whose games more resembles stories than games, I like alignment-changing roles very much, but it seems to be mixed reaction from players. Some are okay with them, others hate them a lot. I know the few times I've changed alignment it's affected me in different ways depending on a few factors. What would be the best way - if any - for you to have an alignment-changing role be palatable?

Generally I try to keep alignment-changes some variation of:
- In addition to your original win condition (e.g. someone becomes an original-alignment survivor);
- One that is not inherently exclusive to your original condition (e.g. a vanilla town becoming an SK);
- A result of the player's actions in-game;
- Can "wear off" after a time or event (e.g. a player dying returns to their original alignment);
- If recruited, severely limited in focus (e.g., recruitments on power roles are just a normal nightkill, certain vanillas are protected, etc.)

I know many people take a hard-line stance against alignment-changers and it's very understandable why. But if there is a way to "do" them that most people can enjoy, I would like to figure it out.

What have been your experiences with alignment-changers?!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Asiina posted:

It can really mess with the game and town's strongest weapon of going back to look for connections.
Agreed, though I think balance is a separate (but intimately related) issue to "is it fun for the player." Though something like this:

Pinterest Mom posted:

That was Secret Invasion! Scum got to flip a townie instead of the nk every other night. It kinda made the game unwinnable for town.
at a glance seems like a great way for it to be fun for nobody and super unbalanced.

Captain Foo posted:

How would you feel about some sort of ambiguous mod announcement when it happened, perhaps tied into flavor? This would indicate that something happened to that player, but not necessarily what.
People are hit or miss whether they read flavor at all. Some people skip over it and just look at the bolded results (even if the flavor tells a totally different story). Others read every word and then extrapolate a massive (incorrect) vision of the setup from it. That might be good in general re: balancing but it'd need something more consistently reliable I think.

==

Captain Foo posted:

i did want to firstpost but i was also addressing a couple of things that came up in the previous game i played, which had a bunch of new players in it!

oh cool! then I am (as we all already knew) just a jerk.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Asiina posted:

I did sorta like the public cult that PMom and ANarc had Pummeling in Pimonia.

I think that was Misery in Madriu actually. The main reason it turned into a hard situation for the scum though was the cult faction accidentally fullclaiming day 1 and the town accepting them wholeheartedly. I never anticipated that when designing the setup.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Asiina posted:

I don't really want to argue about that game in particular
Well I do think that game should be discussed, since I think it was an interesting look at how a certain kind of alignment-changer can work in practice in a game.

For those who don't want to read it (fair), merk had a power where he could target a player in the game and, if they were town they would have their alignment changed to: "Wins with the town AND if merk is alive at endgame." Upon flip their alignments read (town revolution-aligned).

The players recruited didn't seem to mind the change, but as Asiina notes it was bad for the scum since eventually the cult-players had enough numbers (and credibility among the town) to convince the town to vote out everyone non-cult.

Which is kinda crazy when you think about it!!

Captain Foo posted:

I was thinking a bolded flavor thing, e.g. i had a 1-shot deathproof player in one of my games; when that player otherwise would have died, the thread got the notice e.g. EccoRaven was gravely wounded Night 2!

So would the town be told "Captain Foo was visited by Hal Incandenza" the next day or something? And then if/when Hal dies and flips cult recruiter the town has their work cut out for them?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Captain Foo posted:

perhaps, or something less direct, like EccoRaven had an unusual encounter! Just something that can be pointed to as an indicator that something happened, to avoid

Ooo I'm really digging this.

My game coming up does not have an alignment-changing mechanic in it as a general FYI but I think something like this might resolve a lot of people's issues re:balance and I am considering using something like it if I ever use an alignment-changer again.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
idea: Player Choice mafia. Players are told what actions target them, and they can choose whether the action goes through out not (but if they choose "no," a negative thing happens to them, perhaps increasing in severity depending on how many times they've said no or the type of action they received).

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
A soldiers game where one side has multiple gods and the other has only one.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Pinterest Mom posted:

please, i'm a #millenial

the only pantheon i care about is the wicdiv one

hey let's keep the more off-topic chat in the other thread.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

EccoRaven posted:

Meanwhile, anarchy and jailbreak has led to A Charnel in Charnaz. Will you help fight the chaos and return the land to peace? Newer players super encouraged to sign up!

The Charnel has been cleared with a cleansing fire (scum victory). Congrats to the winners!

I am definitely opening a thread on Monday so get hype.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

He pierced the tendons of both feet behind from heel to ankle,
And through them threaded ox-hide thongs,
Tying them to his chariot,
Leaving the corpse’s head to trail along the ground.

Then lifting the glorious armour aboard,
He mounted and touched the horses with his whip,
And they eagerly leapt forward.
Dragged behind, Hector’s corpse raised a cloud of dust,
While his outspread hair flowed, black, on either side.

That head, once so fine,
Trailed in the dirt,
Now Zeus allowed his enemies to mutilate his corpse
On his own native soil.

SOLDIERS OF THE WASTELAND: THE TROJAN WAR

hosted by busb and Highwire

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

BottleKnight posted:

I'll make a small newbie game. Unless Ecco's game is planning on being that? Ecco how many players is your game?

it was gonna be a 50 players soldiers game if busb hadn't finally gotten his up

:vapes:

it'll be a 15 player game, "newbie friendly"

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
wow rude.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Captain Foo posted:

if only there was a game queue or something

I mean yeah but come on I've been talking for a while about opening a game today.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

The Nuns of Nolaisko have been attacked. Will you come to their rescue?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
while I don't disagree I think it would have been better had that been Pig's role from the start of the game, since the mid-game role grab-bag really futzed with the entire game's balance.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Met posted:

Yeah, that no-lynch and the lack of posting should have been preserved at all costs. :rolleye:

But you're right. Abilities should have been there from the beginning.

if the town can't get posting there are lots of things you as a mod can do; giving everyone a power role is one of them, I guess, but it seriously threw off the balance for the whole game.

and to be clear it didn't even help the problem - players didn't actually start posting more or playing mafia, they were just mindlessly following their roles. the game was sorta "playing itself." the only significant act of agency was at the very end with Pig's vengeful gambit (which was well-performed but also rather mechanical and rote).

in the future, prods and replacements are a standard for a reason. modkills are always good too (multiple players seemed totally content to *be* modkills so you wouldn't have even risked their ire). changing the execution style might help as well (making it plurality, or a lights-out-esque doomwall or something). and if all else fails, letting the town lose is also acceptable - if they can't muster together a vote it's ultimately their problem.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
This is the stupidest game I have ever run.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3746469

I need 9 players. Very tight deadlines (though not ADD Mafia short, that'd be silly).

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I am going to open a Soldiers game TBA January 1st (as soon as :siren: Secret Santa 2015 :siren: winds down). It'll have FIFTY PLAYERS GOSH GOLLY HUGE GAME OMG. 25 players per thread. I consider it a spiritual successor to Tao's Fantasy World at War game (since Tao helped me design this game and provided a lot of help and advice). Only, since I'll be modding it, it'll actually finish (:v:).

I would like a comod for it if only to manage a second thread by posting votecounts and noticing/prodding lurkers in it. This is an easy job, the biggest sacrifice will be being unable to play the game since it's sure to be a lot of fun. PM me if you are interested. This position may be compensated depending on how intense the game plays out and how well you comod.

The background flavor and the official game announcement is in the following post.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Today it may seem impossible to imagine a world where the Empire of Arrentia didn't stretch from the Chue Seas in the west to the edges of Cazan in the east, where millions of people of hundreds of cultures and languages all live commonly and relatively peaceably under one crown, where the beasts of the air and sea are tamed and where petty tyrants and river kings are extinct. But even just a few centuries ago things were very, very different. Arrentia was simply one state among many, vying for power along the shores of the Morze.

Arrentia expanded most rapidly during the reign of Queen Krelo the Just: uniting with the Kingdom of Mereaux by marriage; subjugating the rocky hills and desolate valleys of Bishadh; resolving the anathemas with the Kermish matriarchates; conquering the Nemchek and pushing Her Imperial Legions deep into the woods and tundra of Ruzelia; purchasing the Republics of Rubirge and Rossetia and building a merchant empire spanning every corner of the Morze; and playing queenmaker to the throne of Kirane.

Knowing how history played out, it is easy to think all her victories were inevitable, that it was assured that one by one the nations of the world would submit to Arrentish legions. But in life nothing is for certain, as even the tiniest variable can have far-reaching consequences. There is an old Mereaux expression that goes: "for the want of a nail, a queendom may be lost." Every soldier at every battle, from the mightiest general to the lowliest scout, plays a part in its outcome, and even a nobody from the tiniest village can find themselves the savior of a nation (or maybe the butcher of one).

A good example is with the Nemchek Campaign led by Krelo's eldest daughter Jocasta. Krelo ordered her daughter into the black woods of Nemchy to subdue the barbarians there, and entrusted her with her elite Praetorienne Guard. When Jocasta arrived, however, she found the tribes had organized themselves under the dark wizard Qal into a powerful army, bringing with them many of Arrentia's enemies as their allies. What followed was the stuff of legends: epic battles of good and evil, sword and sorcery clashing into spark and flame, games of intrigue and spycraft as a deceit unraveled, and the hopes of millions put to the test as two of history's finest warriors at their height of power and strength met face to face. Indeed, the Conquest of Qal was one of the most exciting moments in history whose outcome would echo for millennia to come.

vs.

COMING JANUARY 1ST 2016

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 2, 2015

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
The Nuns of Nolaisko game has reopened. 13 players, come join!

Also if you want to participate in Secret Santa 2015 you have until the end of the weekend to PM me! See this post for further info.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Come Fight the Star Wars

Fast Mafia Game!!! Needs Players: Only Seven (7).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756519

Compensation potential. Space limited. Contact Msr. Eckso de Raven for information.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

EccoRaven posted:

Come Fight the Star Wars

Fast Mafia Game!!! Needs Players: Only Seven (7).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756519

Compensation potential. Space limited. Contact Msr. Eckso de Raven for information.

the Star War has ended with the Empire (OBA stars, town) winning over the Red'el Alliance (KM stars, scum).

congrats to the winner(s) and to derp for being the star of the stars of the star war.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
THE CONQUEST OF QAL RECRUITMENT THREAD

Earlier announcement

:siren: 50 PLAYERS NEEDED

SOLDIERS GAME. TWO THREADS BATTLE, ONE THREAD WINS.

HAPPY NEW YEAR MAFIA

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 2, 2016

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758402

My Stupid Big Game needs only SEVEN more players!!!!!

SEVEN!!

That's almost one hand of fingers! It is definitely one hand of fingers if you are born differently from others!

My confidence that there are seven more people in our community who have not yet signed up is ASTRONOMICAL, don't let me down!!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Speaking of replacements, we probably need at least one, maybe even two in the big games Asiina and I are hosting

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759143

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759141

eager for anyone to step up!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Rarity posted:

Put me in, coach! I can just be in the other thread this time :v:

ask asiina becasue I might actually be ok with this.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

EccoRaven posted:

THE CONQUEST OF QAL RECRUITMENT THREAD

Earlier announcement

:siren: 50 PLAYERS NEEDED

SOLDIERS GAME. TWO THREADS BATTLE, ONE THREAD WINS.

HAPPY NEW YEAR MAFIA

The Conquest has ended with an Arrentish victory, as everyone reading this post knows since pretty much everyone played in it.

Hooray.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

EccoRaven posted:

The Conquest has ended with an Arrentish victory, as everyone reading this post knows since pretty much everyone played in it.

Hooray.

The person who told everyone the intimate details of the Nemchek Campaign just found herself killed. Come join the faculty and students of the University of Ravenwood, and try to untangle this web of murder and mayhem.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 26, 2016

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Come join an Ecco game!

Two people are fighting over a farm and the servants are fed up with the whole lot of them.

Crush capitalism! Or be capitalism, depending on the RNG!

In re Lacenda is now taking signups. 21 players, all are welcome, except the ones who know they're not.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
No play this game instead!

EccoRaven posted:

In re Lacenda is now taking signups.

In re Lacenda has ended with Aemilia Peiraña acquiring control of the Lacenda estate (MAFIA VICTORY)

Meanwhile, there's been a murder on the island of Rene. Participate in this Insulting Inquiry and make Decapua great again.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
still need players for this game!! just a measly five, come on you know you want to play. it's a minigame too so it should be easier to follow right?!

EccoRaven posted:

Meanwhile, there's been a murder on the island of Rene. Participate in this Insulting Inquiry and make Decapua great again.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 11, 2016

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Coming February 2017: The Taming of the Dragon Liceander - A Soldiers Game for 50 players

One player will get to literally be a dragon, and I think that's neat.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Aggro posted:

I haven't played forums-based mafia in like six years, but I have a one month sabbatical from work and would like to play. Is it cool if I jump in to this game?

hey I remember you.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

EccoRaven posted:

An Insulting Inquiry has concluded with Decapua being made great again (TOWN VICTORY)

Meanwhile, this game is finally happening:

EccoRaven posted:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I usually think of a gimmick and figure out how to build a game with that gimmick. I've also made so many setups that I usually just run through old setups following recommendations people made post-game.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
hey ninth I have a game that needs players, if you had the time to write that post I definitely read you have the time to play it!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
yeah to prevent massclaims from breaking the game you're gonna need some sort of randomness inserted into the setup, or like twice the number of vanillas.

or just return this to a closed setup by never mentioning this setup again for 6 months.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

SirSamVimes posted:

Add a few more VT and another goon maybe? And another death miller.

tell the death millers they're VT. :hehe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

EccoRaven posted:

The conflict has ended with the nuns exacting their brutal revenge (MAFIA VICTORY).

Meanwhile, a game of Hangman has broken out at The Harvest Festival of Hnetva! Come sing and dance and find some "monsters."