Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'd like to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TMMadman posted:

How could you? Is crying allowed?

There's no crying in wizardry!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kumbamontu posted:

what's everyone's favorite spell

mine is magic missile

Magic missile is nice but it's no Fireball :supaburn:

This isn't Fireball or even Magic Missile! I suspect Podima is actually some sort of gnome or bard and not a real wizard at all.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Biaga posted:

Townie talk, ie tying to look townie to early in the game. I smell scum.

Are we still jokeposting? Because this is pretty dumb, especially when you've been making a couple generic "i am town" posts yourself.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Biaga posted:

day 1 is nothing but jokeposting as far as I can tell.

Being my second game I know a lot about mafia.

Yeah, it's not like we want to do any scumhunting or anything :rolleyes:

##vote biaga

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Green Intern posted:

Although saying it's nothing but joke posts is kind of asking for trouble. Gotta get what information you can, because afaik no lunch is pretty crap a lot of the time.

Bingo. I'm especially suspicious when people dance around making semi-serious posts and then fall back on this when someone calls them out. "Oh it's just D1 it's all jokeposting haha."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kumbamontu posted:

I am probing for reactions, nothing is set in stone! For instance, I think this reaction of yours is on the town spectrum of reactions. Scum are typically, psychologically speaking, prone to self-consciousness, and thus when posed with the question of "Are you scum?" they are more likely to answer with very short responses like a simple no. Your answer seemed to exhibit actual thought, though shallow (which is fine - the question couldn't get any shallower), which is more likely to come from a member of the town, in my opinion.

I disagree:

Biaga posted:

If I say yes, you will think I am a scum. if I say no you will still think I am scum.

Either way, I think your mind is made.

Vote if your so confident.

is way too defeatist. Newbie scum really, really hate being called out and get frustrated very quickly. One early vote and one nonvoting cast of suspicion should not be enough to throw your hands in the air and give up--and for town players it usually isn't.

Biaga, if you're not scum the best way to prove it is by making useful scumhunting contributions, not just jokeposting. Stir things up, poke at people, get some reactions, do work son.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Biaga posted:

Personally I would start to look at the people who on the first day are prepared to draw blood. The town gains nothing by cutting out members, especially at a time where there is no real proof of alignment outside of speculation and suggestion.

Lynching happens to be the best way to get proof of alignment and gives us a wealth of information to use on subsequent days. A no-lynch means that we head into D2 with barely more information than D1, except we're down a member.

No-lynching is not guaranteed to buy us any additional time, either, since with an even number of players the mafia will win tie votes and endgame us after the same amount of time as if we had lynched.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
That said, Biaga is starting to read more as clueless than scummy. I don't think he's in the clear but I don't want to turbo a new player. Several people still haven't even posted since the start.

##unvote

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Kash, what are your thoughts on Bagia? Still think he's scummy as hell?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Kashuno is trying way too hard, but he seems confident in his convictions. I find Hermetic's opportunism a lot more eyebrow-raising:

Hermetic posted:

But with a newbie, there's always the chance they might blurt without asking, or misinterpret coaching.

Hell, if we want to get really tinfoil, they may have been coached to make a blunder, so someone can talk them out of it, and get them through day 1 with an aura of "newbie town" about them....

Hermetic posted:

I didn't mean for the third idea to be taken completely seriously, I was just pointing out that his blunder by no means makes him verified town. So far Biga's still the best candidate for a lynch in my book.

Hermetic posted:

The defeatist "but I could totally help" attitude just comes across as scummy to me.

##vote Biaga##

Kashuno jumped on the Biaga vote ASAP, but Heremetic waited for it to conveniently build up some steam before joining in, then tries to stoke things up again when the fire starts to die down. With the weirdest, craziest theory I've ever seen, no less, then backpedaling when it's pointed out how crazy it is.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Someone Awful! posted:

these two posts stand out as weird to me, even for jokephase

the thought process here is sound (and i agree with it. make content make content post post post :justpost: ) but i don't think it necessarily makes kumba town; if i were scum I'd probably try to get people off the Biaga lynch because it's a case on a newbie and seems too easy/opportunistic, so i'd maybe earn some townie brownie points for it

i dunno, i agree with almost everything kumba has posted but my gut feels like he's scummy. why this? i don't know??? Like I can't even defend this read it's entirely gut and unsubstantiated

Someone Awful! posted:

I just like getting my opinions out there even if they're unsubstantiated and lovely because it makes me actually think about people, and maybe makes other people think about people too

plus sometimes people go "what the gently caress why would you say such a stupid thing???????" and it makes me realize errors in my logic which helps me find scum better!!! successes all around. and if it leads to me getting hanged, well uh, at least people know what my thoughts were

Some super-hedged posts from Someone Awful, getting a really weird vibe here. He really, really wants to make a case on kumba but doesn't really have anything to build it on, so he calls it a gut feel. Nothing wrong with calling your gut, but I'm :raise: at how much he preemptively tries to defend and distance himself from his "gut" posts.

Someone Awful! posted:

I'd still be more inclined to believe biaga as a dumb newbie non-vanilla town than scum tbqh (note: not fishing for power roles, this is just my opinion)

Also kind of curious why this comes up at all. What makes you peg him as a power role? I'm just honestly curious about your reasoning here, it doesn't seem to be particularly scummy but it comes out of left field.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hermetic posted:

Hi Someone Awful!

It's less the defeatism being scummy, but the tone of it. Like he's feigning defeatism and trying to get us to back off. He has an attitude of "Go ahead and lynch me...BUT YOU'LL BE SORRY!" It feels a tad off to me.

I do agree that there are better candidates, though keeping me on your scumdar isn't the worst idea. My lack of posting and appearance of bandwagoning is a bit scummy, I admit.

Podima posted:

I don't know what the ~SA Meta~ is per se, but this kind of "oh gosh I guess I look kinda bad" sheepishness tends to rub me the wrong way. If you're not scum, why would you call attention to yourself acting scummy? :confused: I don't want to get into even more WIFOM stuff but this is worth keeping an eye on.

I think Hermetic seems sincere here to me. Granted, it's the only post where I think he feels sincere, but it seems an odd thing to call him out for.

Looking back over Hermetic's posts, he... doesn't actually say much of anything other than his original Biaga case, except a lot of excuses about why he's not making more meaningful posts. Some people are lazy, some people are busy, so I don't really consider that a strong sign by itself. Reaaaaally interested to see what he has to say tonight, though, because the more I read this the less I like it:

Hermetic posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna feel dumb as gently caress if he's got a useful power and we make him do a mid-air jig. That said, he's the closest thing to a viable option. I'm in the same boat as you: There are a few people that feel off to me, but all I have is gut right now, and I'd rather not just throw around a bunch of "U FEEL LIEK SKUM 2 ME" accusations. That seems useless at best, scummy at worst.

Feels like he's trying to reassure people that he's doing his homework but just doesn't feel like showing it to anyone.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hermetic posted:

Jumping on me is the first thing you've done that I can say feels concretely scummy, though. You don't want to jump on the biagawagon, of course, because it seems to be losing steam, and at this point it would be too obvious. However, there's a lot of pressure on me because my posts have been a bit wishy-washy. (It's just how I reason through things without hard evidence. There's a lot of room for me to be wrong, so I dislike stating things with certainty). Thus, you can get a train running on me for the next 24 hours, avoiding more poking and prodding of others, and drive a townie lynch day 1.

What? Kumba has been one of Biaga's biggest apologists. He's the reason the biagawagon is losing steam.

Hermetic posted:

Busy. Taking some time during office hours to address some concerns and talk a little about my reads. If they don't read as "meaningful", that's because D1 feels like there's nothing to talk about to me.

You realize this sentiment is why people started jumping on Biaga in the first place, right?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Someone Awful! posted:

haha hedging is already one of my worst Mafia Bad Habits, this is my 3rd game and I still haven't learned that I don't need to be so cautious about everything I post :shobon:

I like that kumba post in response to mine about him though. Not totally reassured that kumba is town but I appreciate the thought process there

Podima's single-vote lurker prod was weird and unnecessary but not voteworthy.

I agree that it seems weird that Gabriel Pope didn't make any alignment calls/votes in his last posts; I especially feel like the point he made on me was a bit forced (though obviously I have some bias there, lolol). I feel like his posts are basically throwing softball reads out there in the hope that one of them sticks/gathers steam rather than actually scum-hunting?

##vote gabriel pope

In hindsight I agree it was an awkward post but at the time I was trying to figure out where all his "go ahead vote me, you'll all be sorry!!!" stuff was coming from and my brain made the leap to "might have a power role" rather than "is a weird scared newbie" (though it could be both?). either way it was an unnecessary thing to say

You haven't exactly been pitching overhand yourself. I don't see you can make a post like your Kumba "case" and then turn around and accuse someone else of softballing.

You're right though. Let me put my money where my mouth is.

##vote Hermetic

Nth Doctor posted:

I feel the same way about Biaga so let me lay it out: Biaga's defensiveness and "lynching me will only hurt us :smith:" posting makes me think he's not a VT. Furthermore I feel a degree of empathy for him as a new player: I've gotten worked up at being voted on and acted weirdly before, too. All in all: Biaga seems like a townie who got tripped up by weird posting early on and then wavered between being resigned to getting lynched and suggesting that axing him would be more harm than a straight VT lynch.

I still don't buy this reasoning. He's been explicitly saying that axing him would be exactly as much harm as a straight VT lynch. He's ostensibly frustrated because there's nothing he can offer in his defense, but if he was a town power role he would have an "out" for himself and would be dancing around an unspoken claim instead of saying "go ahead and lynch me, nothing I can do about it."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kashuno posted:

Also it seems weird that a post calling me town sums up your opinions and says to you that you should vote for me.

Saying that I think Herm is scummier than you is not exactly "calling you town."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hermetic posted:

I meant I never said what conclusions I'd drawn from reading you. You'll notice I haven't voted you, yet, or made any accusations.

Yes. Yes, yes I have. Maybe... you should start???????

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
HERMETIC. WHO DO YOU THINK IS SCUMMY, AND WHY. This question is literally the entire raison d'etre of Mafia and you keep dancing around and evading questions instead of committing to any opinions.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gabriel Pope posted:

HERMETIC. WHO DO YOU THINK IS SCUMMY, AND WHY. This question is literally the entire raison d'etre of Mafia and you keep dancing around and evading questions instead of committing to any opinions.

Hermetic posted:

I love that Gabriel Pope and Kumbamontu are leading the charge against me for not answering their questions, yet Biaga hasn't posted in, like, a day and a half. Don't worry, though. No one is protecting their scumbro. It's not like the whole thing reeks of him being told "play dead until the bandwagon stops" or anything. Not sure which one of the two is coaching him yet, but Kumbamontu is reading as either frustrated town or tryhard scum.

My vote stays where it is, and will do so until my hilarious lynching.

Speaking of which, when I'm at -1, let me know, and I'll make my last post and self-hammer, K?

Hermetic posted:

You know, I still think the Biaga lynch is the best idea, but that ran out of steam way too early, and I doubt it'll pick back up. I'm good with getting rid of you, though, Kash. Your push on me isn't feeling right.

##vote Kashuno

Thank you for deigning to play Mafia in the Mafia thread you signed up for. Was that so hard?

##unvote

At first glance Hermetic's new posts seem flimsy as hell but at least he's doing something except evading. My instinct is still to get Herm but there was some other foolery going on last night and I don't have time to digest it right now.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hermetic posted:

You know you don't get lynched in real life if you lose the vote, right?

Of course. If it was a real lynch vote I wouldn't have unvoted you.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Still not sure how to feel about the CC/Kash slapfight from last night. CC, can you elaborate any on this?

Colonel Corazon posted:

Kash backpedals with his stance after people begin to think maybe biaga is just a poor newbie:

Kashuno posted:

I disagree

##vote Biaga

What?

"What?" indeed. Kash questions the early case on Biaga, Biaga starts floundering, a few people bring up the poor newbie defense, and then Kash flips to voting Biaga. How would people defending Biaga as a poor newbie be a trigger for a supposedly opportunistic vote?

The other thing that stuck out to me last night was this:

SirSamVimes posted:

Contentless? The post I quote was reason enough to vote, and I explained further after that. If you disagree with my vote there's nothing wrong with a contrary opinion, but framing my argument like that is weird and scummy. That said, after rereading I'm more leery of the fact that Hermetic jumped on the Biaga vote and hedged it at the same time which definitely pings my scumdar.

I still have no scum pings from Kashuno, despite the fact that he seems to be one of the main focuses.

Also I'm sorry for not posting a lot, I'm not great at engaging in D1.

Vimes has been doing a lot of lurking and both of his votes were for then-current vote leaders, giving only brief "me-too" restatements of cases other people have made to explain why he was voting. That might just be because he's legit busy, but he's also very quick to try to paint Something Awful! as scummy despite SA! making a perfectly relevant point.

Right now I'm feeling very confident that at least one of Herm and Vimes is scum. Vimes, want to expand on your thinking some and help us narrow this down?

Still haven't seen anything from Herm that makes me really question the lynch but I need to get back to work, want to lay my thoughts out in a more organized way.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Ok, so take 2 on Hermetic.

Early on there's a good bit of jokephase posting from him, no big deal. Then he starts in on Biaga. Something Awful! summarizes the problems with Hermetic's initial case on Biaga nicely, but I'd also like to call attention to this:

Hermetic posted:

But with a newbie, there's always the chance they might blurt without asking, or misinterpret coaching.

Hell, if we want to get really tinfoil, they may have been coached to make a blunder, so someone can talk them out of it, and get them through day 1 with an aura of "newbie town" about them....

Hermetic posted:

I didn't mean for the third idea to be taken completely seriously, I was just pointing out that his blunder by no means makes him verified town. So far Biga's still the best candidate for a lynch in my book.

Note that his weird stretch case is the only thing he's said about Biaga, but it wasn't completely serious, but somehow Biaga is still the best lynch candidate based on ??? He does eventually explain himself (briefly) when he puts his vote down, but he spends a lot of time after this hemming and hawing about putting his opinions out because he doesn't like making baseless accusations without evidence, despite having done precisely that on Biaga in the first place.

Hermetic posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna feel dumb as gently caress if he's got a useful power and we make him do a mid-air jig. That said, he's the closest thing to a viable option. I'm in the same boat as you: There are a few people that feel off to me, but all I have is gut right now, and I'd rather not just throw around a bunch of "U FEEL LIEK SKUM 2 ME" accusations. That seems useless at best, scummy at worst.

Hermetic posted:

Because there's no case. My gut feelings are probably not going to sway anyone. Evidence is everything in Mafia, Mr. Wright.

The rest of Hermetic's posting Tuesday is pretty sketchy but not especially damning. I've already noted the first time around that I thought this post seemed pretty earnest, which made me lighten up on Hermetic for a while. But then he started posting yesterday and the poo poo really hit the fan:

Hermetic posted:

If you want to talk about my gut reads, you were one of them. For some reason, they rubbed me the wrong way. You were kinda on my "watch" list from then

Jumping on me is the first thing you've done that I can say feels concretely scummy, though. You don't want to jump on the biagawagon, of course, because it seems to be losing steam, and at this point it would be too obvious. However, there's a lot of pressure on me because my posts have been a bit wishy-washy. (It's just how I reason through things without hard evidence. There's a lot of room for me to be wrong, so I dislike stating things with certainty). Thus, you can get a train running on me for the next 24 hours, avoiding more poking and prodding of others, and drive a townie lynch day 1.

Make a case why I'm scum. I think it will help me get a better read on you.

I'm just not big on wild accusations. It feels like scum behavior to me.

We asked for gut reads, so can't complain about the super vague "rubbed me the wrong way" read.

The attempt to case Kumba here is just bad, though. Kumba was one of the first ones on the biagawagon and he himself put the brakes on just as it was catching steam (this is pointed out to Herm and he ignores it.) He also claims that there's a lot of pressure on him for being "a bit wishy-washy", which is a mischaracterization of most of the people who were on his case (most people suspected him on bandwagoning grounds.)

Then begins the extended clusterfuck between Kumba and Herm, which is where things really go to hell:

Kumbamontu posted:

Are you sure you actually read my post? I did make a case on you, it was literally in the post you quoted. Then I voted you based on said case. I've been poking and prodding people constantly, I don't know how you can possibly posit that I am trying to avoid it

Hermetic posted:

Nah, it felt like you just lecturing me about my posting style rather than "Here is why Hermetic is scum like Solanas' manifesto". If that's your entire case against me, then I think I got all the read I need.

Kumbamontu posted:

Did you ignore the second paragraph and focus only on the first? I'm sincerely stumped as to how you are reaching this conclusion because the words are right there.

As for having "all the read you need", I pose a question to you: let's assume for a moment you are in fact town and I am wrong. Why does me being wrong about your alignment mean I'm scum? Gabriel Pope is voting for you - is he scum too?

Hermetic posted:

Wow, you jumped to some serious conclusions, given that I never said I thought you were scum, changed my vote, made an accusation, etc.

You're kinda defensive, mate...

This starts a running subthread where these two go back and forth for 24 hours trying to get Herm to pin down exactly what he means, eventually culminating in this:

Hermetic posted:

It means that I don't think it was a tell. Jesus christ.

So, Kumba's case on Hermetic was "concretely scummy" in his first post but now it's "not a tell"? He tries to weasel out of calling Kambu scum by saying that he mistook Kambu's post as lecturing him about posting (which is apparently concretely scummy) instead of making a case against him (not a tell.)

This, incidentally, is Kumba's case which Herm mistook for not being a case:

Kumbamontu posted:

As people have already stated, looking for a "viable option" this early reeks of trying to take advantage of someone's blunder instead of actually hunting scum. Gut calls are perfectly fine D1 - even if you're wrong, you can get people to respond to your prods and accusations in order to better gauge their alignment. You're coming across as even more defeatist than Biaga is here. This, combined with your tinfoil theory and Podima's analysis of your sheepishness, leads me to believe you are scum.

So let's break this down:

1. Kumba rattles off several reasons he suspects Herm, concluding with "this leads me to believe you are scum."
2. Herm counter-cases Kumba, calling Kumba's case "concretely scummy."
3. Kumba says wtf and reiterates his case.
4. Herm says "whoops when you said 'this is why I believe you are scum' I didn't think that you were trying to make a case on why you believe I am scum, 'I have my read.'"
5. Kumba says wtf and repeatedly asks for clarification.
6. Herm repeatedly asks "u mad bro :smug:" instead of clarifying.
7. Herm clarifies that 'I have my read' meant that "I don't think this thing that I called 'concretely scummy' is a tell."

Also, hey, remember when Kumba asks Herm if my vote on him also makes me scum in Hermetic's book?

Hermetic posted:

I love that Gabriel Pope and Kumbamontu are leading the charge against me for not answering their questions, yet Biaga hasn't posted in, like, a day and a half. Don't worry, though. No one is protecting their scumbro. It's not like the whole thing reeks of him being told "play dead until the bandwagon stops" or anything. Not sure which one of the two is coaching him yet, but Kumbamontu is reading as either frustrated town or tryhard scum.

Hermetic posted:

If you put a gun to my head and asked me to pick someone pushing me early for a lynch as a way to take the heat off of Biaga Smalls, I'd have to say probably Gabriel, because he unvoted me once the really big rush was off, and tried to play it like it was a pressure vote, despite the fact that he initially framed it as an actual vote (though he divorced the vote post from his case, which let him have wiggle room to justify it later).

Apparently it does! :allears: Also, the savvy connoisseur of bad mafia posts will appreciate the delightful aroma of Hermetic calling back to his theory about Biaga being coached, you know, the one that wasn't actually serious and we weren't supposed to pay attention to. It nicely complements the faint bouquet of Hermetic suggesting that I'm scummy for pushing him and also suggesting I'm scummy for not pushing him.

Furthermore, something something wine terminology he again claims that he's only under fire to bring the heat off Biaga. Hermetic, until you stepped forward I was the heat on Biaga. Your attempts to justify your Biaga vote were cribbed from my own arguments. I don't think he's acquitting himself very well now that he's back in the thread, but I'll lynch someone who evades giving opinions and then tries to weasel out of them over someone who merely posts bad opinions.

Other people have already covered how lovely the self-hammering posturing is, so I won't go over it again. I'd still really like to hear from CC and SSV before the end of the day but it doesn't look like there's a push to end the day prematurely so I'm feeling really good about ##vote Hermetic

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kashuno posted:

Why didn't I end the day earlier when he was at -2, threatening to lynch himself when he got to -1?

Hermetic was putting forth as much effort as he had all day when he first said that; he could have been bluffing. Or someone else might have taken his threat seriously and unvoted before he had a chance to self hammer. You would have the stain on your hands of a pseudo hammer vote without the benefit of a guaranteed lynch--it would be arguably worse, even, because it would be that much earlier.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kashuno posted:

I do not want to spend d2 defending myself over and over and over again vs the same points I argued yesterday and the start of this morning.

Well, yes, I imagine you wouldn't. I agree that D2 should not be All About Kashuno Day but that's not a free pass for you.

Kashuno posted:

I will agree that it was lovely to hammer early. He was pissing me off with his silly poo poo so I just decided I had had enough and lynched. I don't regret my decision.

Back to voting for the real scum ##vote colonel corazon

That's not what you said earlier.

Kashuno posted:

I kinda want to keep this guy around for his constantly condescending attitude :allears:

A cynical person might note that when he was at -2 his attitude was amusing and almost endearing, but as soon as he was in hammer range he was insufferable and had to go. What changed, other than the number of votes on him?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
But like I said, this is not All About Kash Day.

SirSamVimes posted:

:stare: I doubt that the scum have two nightkills in a 13 player game, so what are we thinking? Serial killer or town role?

D1's lurkiest poster comes running in after the thread unlocks to go fishing for vig roles.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kashuno posted:

He voted himself. He had gone from condescending to just insufferable with his "EVERYTHING I DO IS SCUMMY" post, and I was just over it. It would be a distraction for town throughout the coming days, and wasn't worth keeping him around.

You said he was already a dead rear end in a top hat walking:

Kashuno posted:

Not to mention, if I were scum ending d1 early only hurts me. I put a big target on myself to get lynched today, when I could've just let herm's acerbic attitude lynch him instead.

If his lynch was a foregone conclusion, he wouldn't be around to be a distraction anymore anyhow. Hammering him so early was probably not necessary to secure his lynch.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kumbamontu posted:

Nope

Biaga, SSV, Tommunist, CC all fall below the line

(it's Foo + VoteFinder not just Foo)

Here, I'll help. CC, I'm still curious about the answer to this:

Gabriel Pope posted:

Still not sure how to feel about the CC/Kash slapfight from last night. CC, can you elaborate any on this?

Colonel Corazon posted:

Kash backpedals with his stance after people begin to think maybe biaga is just a poor newbie:

Kashuno posted:

I disagree

##vote Biaga

What?

"What?" indeed. Kash questions the early case on Biaga, Biaga starts floundering, a few people bring up the poor newbie defense, and then Kash flips to voting Biaga. How would people defending Biaga as a poor newbie be a trigger for a supposedly opportunistic vote?

Your case on Kash retroactively looks a lot better after Kash poo poo the bed D1 but your original case still looks pretty wobbly.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kashuno posted:

CC's case was disproven on every point so I don't know why that still looks good to you other than you already find me scummy

It doesn't look good. That's why I've been trying to get CC to defend it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
CC threw together a slipshod case D1, then you pulled a ridiculously bad hammer vote to end D1 early, and now CC is conveniently hiding behind your bad play to look like they were always justified in pushing your case.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SirSamVimes posted:

Hey gabe gabe why did you come in and drop some drive-by shade without making any alignment call or vote?

I've already gone on the record as thinking you're scum. This was just more fuel for my earlier call. You conveniently don't post much, so there's not a lot for me to go off until you post more.

My initial thought was that you were an SK trying to distract people from the possibility of a third party kill by throwing out suggestions of a 2x scum kill (improbable) or a vig kill (also improbable, based on the players that showed up dead.) The fact that you've jumped to the SK theory makes me slightly less certain of that theory.

You spent D1 lurking hard and letting your vote comfortably rest on bandwagons, though, which definitely fits the profile for SK or scum.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SirSamVimes posted:

I have no defense for my day 1 play. I played bad and I admit it. Still town though.

I poked back into your history and didn't find much to go with the ~vibes~ from your drive by comment. You put a lot of pressure on Hermetic, but I was also fairly convinced that he was scum so I can't really vote you for that.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Vimes has been doing a lot of lurking and both of his votes were for then-current vote leaders, giving only brief "me-too" restatements of cases other people have made to explain why he was voting. That might just be because he's legit busy, but he's also very quick to try to paint Something Awful! as scummy despite SA! making a perfectly relevant point.

Right now I'm feeling very confident that at least one of Herm and Vimes is scum. Vimes, want to expand on your thinking some and help us narrow this down?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Oh hey, thanks for reminding me to dig that post up because it links to this one:

SirSamVimes posted:

Contentless? The post I quote was reason enough to vote, and I explained further after that. If you disagree with my vote there's nothing wrong with a contrary opinion, but framing my argument like that is weird and scummy. That said, after rereading I'm more leery of the fact that Hermetic jumped on the Biaga vote and hedged it at the same time which definitely pings my scumdar.

I still have no scum pings from Kashuno, despite the fact that he seems to be one of the main focuses.

Also I'm sorry for not posting a lot, I'm not great at engaging in D1.

I keep glossing over this post when I try to reread your post history because my attention is drawn to your bandwagon votes. I forgot that Something Awful! had been poking you and you counter-accused him. But wait:

SirSamVimes posted:

I agree that neither DBD nor SA seemed scummy, so it's probably a SK. It'd be weird to just casually toss out a vig when you have no reason to think it's a scummy target.

I guess nobody thought SA! seemed scummy, certainly not good old Vimesy who just happened to call him scummy. So I guess no one would have a reason to single him out, right? :angel:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SirSamVimes posted:

A scummy post doesn't mean I think a person is overal scummy. Town players can gently caress up and make scummy posts.

Maybe, but you've made precious few posts and that was one of the few original calls you made D1.

Perhaps you could share some of your opinions on who is scum so that we don't have to extrapolate from your bare bones post history.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Colonel Corazon posted:

What I can’t understand is how Kash ending the vote seven hours early with a hammer benefits anyone besides himself.

Well, it conveniently got a bunch of lurkers (such as you) off the hook for posting D1 and gave you an excuse to keep pushing Kash instead of doing real scumhunting. I don't see any way that it realistically could have been coordinated between you two but you have to admit that it was a gift from heaven for you.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Colonel Corazon posted:

Are you saying that I was possibly coordinating with Kash? :psyduck:

I explicitly said exactly the opposite of that, so no.

Colonel Corazon posted:

And you don't think I'm doing scum hunting? I posted my thoughts on Kash (a lot of thoughts). You don't think he's scummy? :psypop:

Yes, I think Kash is scummy. No, I don't think you're seriously scumhunting. Your megapost is a mix of pointing out the obvious (I think literally everybody is suspicious of his D1 hammer) and rehashing your terrible D1 arguments that are still terrible:

Colonel Corazon posted:

This is what first catches my attention. I read Kash’s disagreement with Gabe’s vote and then subsequent vote on biaga as a weird turn around. I saw it as an opportunistic vote on biaga, after he didn’t appear to be on board with Gabriel’s vote on biaga.

You keep quoting Kumba starting to back off Biaga as evidence of Kash's vote being "opportunistic." An opportunistic vote would be taking advantage of other people doing the groundwork and putting votes and pressure on someone.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Biaga posted:

As one player to another outside the game, I am sorry I took so long to respond Kash. I have decided that lurking in this game is a bad idea. With that said I will try and respond more often or check at least twice a day instead of once. Sorry for the delay, I can see that to be active here I should be posting more.

Looks like Nth is running into some stiff competition for the most useless post award :v:

Speaking of which, where did he run off to? He seemed to be participating a decent amount D1 but he seems to have clammed up lately. I'm starting to wonder about Green Intern for similar reasons, but his last post says he'd be busy today so who knows.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Sorry for going AWOL, had company over and it tied up a lot more of the day than anticipated.

Need to do some catching up but I think Kashuno is probably still the best candidate for a lynch. He's been putting forth some effort, but not enough that I'm comfortable discounting him.

SSV is more persistently scummy with his lurking behavior and lazy bandwagon votes, but he hasn't done anything as spectacularly lovely as the D1 hammer. I'd still be down with lynching him but like TMM said I think we wouldn't get as much info from his flip.

CC's play has been sloppy as hell and that still makes me suspicious, but... he still very well may be right. One of the reasons I wouldn't mind lynching Kashuno is that his flip could potentially tell us a lot about the people that have been pushing him hard.

Will take another look at Biaga, most of his posting today has struck me as being more newbie-ish than anything else but I might be over-correcting after how much I laid into him early D1.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SirSamVimes posted:

Okay that works for me. ##vote Biaga

That was remarkably easy.

SirSamVimes posted:

Okay I'm going to put a vote on the person I'm most suspicious of because I'm not very likely to be awake at deadline time.

##vote Kashuno

Kashuno posted:

"I totally have other suspicions but I'm not going to state them."

The "person you're most suspicious of" drops one post and that persuades you to lynch someone else? Really?

Of course, he's gone to bat for you before, so it makes sense you would return the favor:

Kashuno posted:

Vimes lurks and posts little content on d1 in every game he plays. it's a nulltell for him.

Kashuno posted:

So taking a play from Lumpen's playbook:

~~**~~Kashunote with reasoning summaries~~**~~

Notoriously Neutral
  • SSV - Little content d1(par the course for SSV) and continued into d2(not so par), with no real serious alignment reads.

Since, after all, you have before:

SirSamVimes posted:

Kash looks fine so far. We're both on the same page with regards to squinting suspiciously at Biaga for this, and he rightly boggles at Corazon for doing a lurker poke so early. Hermetic I'm not sure about, I don't like how hedgy he's being but that might be newbie hesitance.

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm half inclined to call Vimes/Kashuno scumteam and call it a day. However, one thing gives me pause:

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm getting ~vibes~ from Kashuno.

He livotes Hermetic when there starts being pressure on him. He defends me for my lovely lurking which is a weird thing to do unless he knows I'm town and wants to look good if I get lynched for being bad at Mafia. Hammers prematurely (seriously why the hell would you do that). Makes a "too scummy to be scum" argument day 2. States that Corazon's casing has been "disproved on every point" which I'm not really seeing. I'm assumign you mean Corazon's big ol' effort post, but it didn't state anything which was concrete enough to prove wrong just opinions on your opinions.

Corazon feels townie for me, he seems to be making a conscious effort to analyse people's posts and find scum. Feels a lot like he was once he got the hang of Mafia later on in the Mad Max game I was running so I'm leaning town for now and I don't get why Kashuno's so fixed on him.

This is literally the most effort SSV has put into scumhunting all game. He makes good points on Kash and he doesn't seem to be just latching onto other peoples' posts to justify his suspicion on Kash. His attempt to buddy up to Corazon feels really facile, though--CC's been pretty lurky and way too focused on a single, obvious target. If Kash hadn't gone and made CC's case for him, CC would be looking super bad by now.

And yet... again, Vimes ditches his ~vibes~ the instant Kash asks him to switch to Biaga. Between this and the awkward attempt to buddy up on CC, this post feels really, really insincere.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kashuno posted:

If we are scum together, why wouldn't he just bus me at this point for easy town cred?

Maybe... he did??? As above, this really fake post:

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm getting ~vibes~ from Kashuno.

He livotes Hermetic when there starts being pressure on him. He defends me for my lovely lurking which is a weird thing to do unless he knows I'm town and wants to look good if I get lynched for being bad at Mafia. Hammers prematurely (seriously why the hell would you do that). Makes a "too scummy to be scum" argument day 2. States that Corazon's casing has been "disproved on every point" which I'm not really seeing. I'm assumign you mean Corazon's big ol' effort post, but it didn't state anything which was concrete enough to prove wrong just opinions on your opinions.

Corazon feels townie for me, he seems to be making a conscious effort to analyse people's posts and find scum. Feels a lot like he was once he got the hang of Mafia later on in the Mad Max game I was running so I'm leaning town for now and I don't get why Kashuno's so fixed on him.

was made at a time when there was a lot of heat on the two of you and some distance would have been really valuable if either of you flipped scum. Still, I think this looks worse for Vimes than it does for you. The thread is moving too quickly for me to keep up right now, but I'm probably going to lay my vote down for SSV as soon as I catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TMMadman posted:

This post contains some oddly specific speculation. It also gives Kash a way to walk back any of his town reads. Plus it doesn't actually answer my question about the scum team being all newbies. I'm also wondering why Pope ignores this speculation but goes after Biaga for saying there are three non town people.

:confused: I haven't gotten to Biaga yet.

• Locked thread