Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I like the OP. Good job Beer Orc Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Doyzer posted:

One hour in and $45,000 of Endeavors have been sold.

Get your money back while pubbies are throwing money at their computer screens.

Such a lust for jpegs

Whoooooooooo

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I want to be the fly on the wall while chris roberts explains to a VC man that the business model is to sell pretend virtual space ships and they made 90 million dollars doing it so far

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

starry skies above posted:

Okay people, can we get some history?

Because I thought at one point the SA thread on this subject was full of enthusiasm for the game and goons were throwing money at it?

When did things change such that all goons now have to say about Star Citizen is endless derision?

There was a pitched battle between the forces of the star citizen hugbox thread in games and the combined star citizen, doobie's dog house, and dayz garbage nightmare thread in gbs. It was a forums golden age for sure. In the end the sheer weight of evidence supporting the garbage nightmare interpretation won out, and the hugbox posters either became disillusioned, retreated to offsite, or started rolling with the punches

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Uii8lxRC58

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

KakerMix posted:

i dont like this sir

It's an excruciating video, but I feel everyone should have to watch it. If you can sit through the entire thing then you've entered the real man's world

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The moral is, whatever is happening, it's hilarious to imagine

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

mods please embed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X9tQZFzijc

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Can someone post the commercial they did where the space dad drinks his space beer. It was like a lovely Ford commercial or something it was ridiculous. I tried to find it but I don't know poo poo about this game's imaginary virtual bitcoins space ships

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Derek smart versus chris roberts is like a DBZ battle but instead of power level increasing its the word count of their line by line rebuttals of each other

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

What a daring take

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

This gif alone was worth the 90 million

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

GreenLight posted:

God,

i really have trouble to enjoy all this drama...

I don't even have the stamina to read even a little bit of it.

How do guys do it ?

I like to read the funny things

And desk job

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Nauta posted:

this thread is moving at the speed of ~10 posts / min

Personally, I want for the thread to have more posts

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

BillmasterCozb posted:

So, what happened to make the OP turn into..what it is? Did the game go rear end-up before it was even released?

I'm glad you asked; yes

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

what price, exactly, is chris roberts paying

is it the price of getting to live in a mansion paid for by idiots

I guess it's the price of having to micromanage the development of an imaginary mud dream game all day when he probably should have just taken the money and ran early on. More profit for the same end result

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

snipermonkey posted:

So what's the connection between Star Citizen and Derek Smart? Why is he talked about all of a sudden?

Broadly speaking Derek Smart was the one who publicized and gave a platform to the growing concerns about star citizen development being a mismanaged fiasco. This in classic Derek Smart fashion, using unceasing 10 trillion word blog posts

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

will there be anything to do in the game when it's done?
People talk about spaceships a lot but what are the game things? What do you do? Is it an RPG?

It will be like your real life, but in the future of space, with space ships. A kind of "Second Life", if you will

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

:munch:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

When you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head and laugh at the sky :rubshands:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Did something happen? Why is everyone being terrible?

A new person actually registered for the something awful forums and everyone brought out their worst posts to celebrate

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jesus Christ

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

jaegerx posted:

Can we crowd fund sending eonwe to citcon? Or really anyone else we feel the need to punish?

Yes but due to feature creep we may end up having to make an FPS, a farming game, a new version of second life, a new version of eve online, and a sci fi TV series starring mark hamill along the way

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Wait so when is Citizen Con? I have to clear some time for the insane drama bender I'm going to be on during it because lmao you know it's going to deliver

Next weekend

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

nopantsjack posted:

An anti-brony, star citizen backing, military, fat bunny with a disassembled sexbot...

What.

Whats the deal with all the furries and SC, just a subsection of the community or is there something that actually caters to them in the game?
Also whats the deal with people who seem to talk about space prostituion and stuff, is that just roleplay or has Croberts promised human trafficing and sex robots in his magnum opus or something?

As trains are to extremely autistic people, so outer space is to slightly less autistic, but still very autistic, people

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ragequit posted:

So apparently DS has offered to fully pay Jim Sterling for a full investigation in to CIG. For lambasting Star Citizen backers for throwing money at dumb poo poo, he certainly likes to throw money at dumb poo poo.

Dr derek smart is a multimillionaire somehow, so I guess that makes it okay. Perhaps by octopede standards he actually has the best life out of all of us :smug:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Shala posted:

I usually read our manual while on the shitter.

Just to make sure I'm up to speed on super elite tactics with other goons when SC totally comes out.

http://imgur.com/a/Qoaxm

Sorry to break it to whoever it is, but the one who made this should be killed

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Szcwczuk posted:

Are there any examples of games that were crowdfunded, kick started or on green light that have come out feature complete to the letter of their initial advertisement?

Pillars of eternity in my opinion

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Literally Kermit posted:

The meter on this is still a little rough, but read this while listening to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFNjIT83Aq4

Hello desktop, my old friend
I tried to load up Star Citizen
Because I pledged at least a grand
and all I have left with in my hand
is the jpeg of my ship that in fake space
I can't lose faith
and must endure the sounds of Sandi

In restless forums I post alone
white knight Chris Roberts upon his throne
Neath' one topic about another ship sale
sold one kidney and said "What the hell?"
When some troll launched in saying we were all being scammed
And were quite damned
to hear the sounds of Sandi

And between flaming posts I saw
90 million not accounted for
People screaming that it was all a fluke
Other people put up their dukes
And still other folks covered up their ears and winced
it never quits
That awful sound, of Sandi

"Fools," said I, "We cannot know
just exactly where our money goes
Hear my offer that I might reach you
I got a sweet deal on this Khartu
For 5 grand you get my Hull C and a 300i
(Still though that I am keeping, my Idris)

And the people stopped and turned
then the brown sea went on and churned
And the situation went from bad to worse
They said they'd see me in the 'Verse
And the clean shaven employes were sad that they could never tell
or face the hell
and listen to the sounds, of Sandi

Do One Day More, but instead it's Two Weeks More. Actually that sounds pretty difficult but I think it would be funny. Cheers to you and your good vids

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Fat and Useless posted:

Oh boy thanks to about 300 posts ago I have Les Mis stuck in my head and the thread is imploding on itself! Today is going to be a good day! :coffeepal:

Overall I agree with you but it's still a little too early for Octopede posts :morning:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Derek Smart, short for Dr Eric Smart, is a famous game developer and article non-poster, best known for letting the internet down

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

Derek Smart vanishes for less than 2 hours and we devolve into infighting and #freekimsemus-ing

Without Derek Smart blog post, everything I know has been cast into doubt. Maybe thousands of dollars jpegs of question marks..... are actually good???

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Stop all the goonfuckin' :gooncamp:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Thank you jesus

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In extremely gaben voice, it was worth the weight

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Derek smart is having the best time of his life since usenet 1999, he's already been abundantly reimbursed for this whole episode. And he's a multimillionaire doctor with, heh, more than one property

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Fain80 posted:

Was anyone able to actually make it through all of DS' blog? If so, I'll give you a space .jpeg or Reddit gold, whichever you like least.

I read it. He was very restrained about random bolding and CAPS LOCK so it was a truly pleasant experience in comparison to some of the markov chains he has posted in the past

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I have to decline unfortunately. You should still set up a town hall with call-ins. I suspect you will get quite a bit of interest.

mods!! mods!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

-Yep
-Yep
-Yep
-Yep
-Yep
-Yep
-Yep
-Yep
-Yep