Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

HookShot posted:

It was actually a good episode by Blacklist standards.

Although anybody who was actually super good at getting someone out of the city and put up multiple decoy locations would have figured out that the FBI would realize they can't be in five places at once and they were decoys, and would have then tried to get them out of the city where the decoys were, not in the opposite direction. But hey, as Blacklist plot holes go, that one's pretty small.

Or...

"Hey, if she's a Russian agent maybe we should have the Russian Embassy covered."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gonz posted:

Dembe ain't dead. If he's gonna die, it'll be a more majestic death than "shot in the gut by Pee-Wee Herman".

He'll come back as Robo Dembe.

Boatswain posted:

I'm glad Tom (that's Liz' ex right?) is back, he is a much more enjoyable than Liz. Maybe because he is depicted as competent :v:

The 'getting my story down' montage was pretty good.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kegslayer posted:

One thing I'm surprised about is how completely okay Keane is with Reddington just killing dudes, even when they're helpless and unarmed.

There's no attempt at leaving breadcrumbs for the task force to follow, arrest and prosecute, she just gets what she wants and then Red kills them.

Well, to be fair, they know they're being actively hunted. Lizzy will start crying again if any LEOs are killed in the hunt for her, so Red has to minimize their potential opponents. If they let a Cabal member - no matter how minor - live/get away, that's just one more person they'll likely have to deal with/kill later.

That being said, calling it now - Aram is going to be this season's Meera. They're giving him *way* too much screen time; it seems they're building us up to like his character more before they kill him for shock value.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Tokubetsu posted:

Why did Tom have to do this ='(
I feel really bad for rich girl now. How many lives have Tom, Keane and Reddington's just since the show started?

I want Rich Girl to be some unstoppable ~Force of Nature~ villain that turns out to be more dangerous than Berlin, The Director, and Black Mormon from House combined.

"YOU PROMISED ME!"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I have to admit, though...that scene where Tom takes them all apart would've been cooler were it not for the four or five times it's been done in the past...the last one I saw was the non-lethal version in Jack Reacher.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CaptainCaveman posted:

Did I miss an explanation for what was going on with the surgery Crandall made the other guy watch? I thought they made it look like it was some kind of brain surgery and thought there was going to be a twist that he was freezing just the brains or something like that, but then at the end, no, it was full bodies he was freezing.

The way I saw it, if the person's body was beyond hosed, the crazy rich guy just assumed the ~futcha peeple~ would be able to clone him a new body with the leftover detritus of his old one, since I'm guessing his existing form was beyond hosed with atrophy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Aram is definitely going to die. He's been trying to 'friend zone' his way into Samar's pants for two seasons now, and Ressler has one chat with her while she's feeling all ~vulnerable~ and he's in? Ten bucks says he's out in some panel van doing the computer thing and Super Bad Guy comes by and only he can stop him which leads to him forgetting to take the safety off his dusty sidearm and ending up with a bullet in the chest which leaves him just enough time to get a parting kiss - on the forehead - from Samar.

Then she and Ressler will mourn him by awkwardly screwing again.

"It's what he would've wanted."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Nov 13, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ShakeZula posted:

If he's not her father, then I'm betting he's the guy who killed her parents.

I'm willing to guess that it's a touch more complicated than that. I think Reddington was Liz's mother's *handler*, after she'd decided to become a double agent to potentially give her daughter a shot at being something other than 'just an asset' like her, and he hosed up, somehow blew her cover, and ended up getting her killed in the process of trying to bring her in, which is why he's so 'tied' to Lizzy. I think they're delaying this revelation because it'll be seen as a pretty direct rip-off of the current plot of "The Americans."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ShakeZula posted:

And why would Aram be out of a job? You don't think, with everyone exonerated of pretty much everything, that Cooper would hire him back?

In a normal world, he'd be in holding for pulling a gun on the DCI and National Security Advisor with shaky yet lethal intent. Losing his job would be the least of his worries.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So it seems the 'everything is back to normal, kinda sorta' M.O. is that everyone's back to taking their stupid pills at the FBI:

1. Both Ressler and Navabi take their eyes off their asset to presumably jerk off over getting to kill two people as a couple, having just indulged in some ~erotic tension~.
2. Aside from Ressler evidently being able to run as fast as Usain Bolt's record speed of around 27mph, he manages to miss the tire he's shooting at at point blank range, and...
3. Ressler doesn't have the thought to commandeer the car he's thrown onto, instead discharging his weapon recklessly in the direction of residential areas, at the paper-thin back of a truck *containing* the woman he was sent to recover/protect.
4. Ressler takes off at the hotel, leaving the basement uncovered to...
5. ...allow what I would assume is a few high-end luxury sedans or SUVs to escape, with no traffic camera magic by Aram...
6. Ressler proceeds to kill every...single...bad guy at the wine warehouse, with no guarantees that the 'abort' code had been given to the team evidently sitting on her husband.

Only one thing is to be learned from this episode. Ressler should be kept in charge of the task force, if only because it's pretty loving clear he just really enjoys killing people, and he's too dumb to make lovely decisions.

But hey, everything worked out, and that scene where Red stabbed the guy and whispered into his ear as he died was ~baller~.

I also thought the ending was badly done and even more poorly written, not that some of us haven't wished for harm to come to Megan Boone's character many times over the different iterations of this thread.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 22, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I don't think even the writers have any clue from this point forward where they want to take this show. The Cabal poo poo wore thin, but at least it had a point, of sorts.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'm just glad that despite the fact that it looked like he was going to - that the episode didn't lapse into Red killing ~yet another guy~ in cold blood for retribution's sake. But it does really seem like the KGB mother being alive suggests an Irina Derevko clone. Too bad Candice Bergen's too old to play her - I'd love the Boston Legal crossover.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

computer parts posted:

The Blacklist is crossing over with House of Cards.

Dembe: "Why don't you just give her that if she was intended to get it anyway?"

Red: "Because this way we can wrangle another season and a half out of her aimless search for Mommy." *burns the envelope*

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

blunt posted:

http://www.avclub.com/article/famke-janssen-star-blacklist-spinoff-nbc-234525

It's like NBC don't understand the appeal of The Blacklist at all. The Blacklist without Spader? Pass.

On the other hand, Famke is attractive, speaks something like four languages, and could pull this off. I could go for a show where we follow a grown-up Sydney Bristow character who isn't constantly having to rely on Mommy and Daddy (or her love interest) to save her when she gets in over her head (which sounds familiar). Famke could very much pull off a Carmen Sandiego style show...the more likely eventuality is NBC fucks it up.

It does speak volumes that 'Tom' will factor in heavily in the new show.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 5, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Evil Black Guy's going to steal a nuke! Quick, tell General Air Force Guy about it!"

"gently caress you, how we transport our cock analogs is no one's business, least of all yours."

"But the bad guys say they know your first convoy is a decoy, even though the safest way to move the loving thing would be in a plane."

"No one steals our dongs! And no, we can't transport it by plane because in this universe, nukes utilizing weapons-grade material evidently send out a shitload of ~deadly radiation~, so that's why we plan on transporting it on the NJ Turnpike...a heavily-traveled section of I-95 where you're almost assured of traffic snarls."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

HookShot posted:

"And this whole thing was an elaborate ruse anyway, we don't want the nuke, it's to distract everyone from the fact that we're actually just trying to kidnap an FBI consultant, no biggie"

"You know, if this were a television show, I'm sure we really would've just made the audience feel as if we'd wasted 60 minutes of their lives. Good thing it's not, right?"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 9, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I really want to believe they're taking a risk here writing-wise. The show has the potential to be so much more dramatically-compelling now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

tarlibone posted:

So, what are the odds that Lizzy is actually dead?

My guess is somewhere between 0% and 0.01%.

They probably stole some of Nick Fury's "Tetrodotoxin *B*" from the Agents of SHIELD show.

That, or when they start hunting for ~Rombaldo~ artifacts, they'll find one that can bring her back from the dead.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Heyyyy....remember The Cabal and how they were this super-dangerous group? Haha well, gently caress you, that story arc went nowhere. We might bring it back, but ~meh~.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

HookShot posted:

24 was the best at faking deaths but making them believable.

I honestly expected Edgar to come back all swole and evil.

"Turns out fat people are immune to nerve gas. I just went into a coma and came out of it all buff." :smug:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

We'll know for sure this Thursday. If they give up the ~big sekrets~, we'll know. If not, it's because they still have worth.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

tarlibone posted:

I knew immediately that the woman wasn't there, and that at the end, there'd be a montage of scenes where we see that all of his interactions with her were, in fact, just him all by himself.

Still, it was a pretty good episode.

I felt it was mostly a waste of time, but to each their own. All this suggests is that they're going to jerk us off and only reveal what most of us have already divined. The only two people who got anything out of this episode were the cab driver and guy with the metal detector.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

bring back old gbs posted:

yo this just got real Home Alone real quick

Thought the same thing.

"Home Alone 5: Kevin Goes Homicidal"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

bring back old gbs posted:

Like even the music changed up, it was still somber, but hijinks somber.

So that was supposed to be a representation of Keene's baby, and not the woman Red sacrificed to save her back in the 80's?

No, the end scene made it very clear that that was Keene's mother. Remember the 'story' he told Lizzy was that her mother walked into the surf and drowned herself. Also, it was heavily implied that before giving that cabbie the fare of a lifetime, he was drowning his sorrows in an opium den. It takes a lot for them to say 'seriously, get the gently caress out, you've had too much' at an opium den.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

HookShot posted:

That was really boring, I stopped watching sometime between the first and second ad break, my husband told me the ending later.

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought this.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

Morena Baccarin had a kid with her costar Ben McKenzie, while still being married to Austin Chick.

I'd say Megan Boone was probably middle of the pack for cast talent but that's more because Ressler and Navabi are a complete and utter blackhole of charisma more than anything else. If she does actually quit the show permanently there's really no point to the whole FBI framing device anymore.

I actually kind of like Navabi, even though the idea of a Mossad agent working within the FBI in an official capacity is really loving sketchy, and how in this world they just seem to let Mossad cells operate with impunity within the US...

...but Ressler's character only ever shows enthusiasm when he's able to kill people.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

HookShot posted:

Yeah, Navabi is cool and good when they don't give her stupid rear end plotlines like being angry at Ressler because he slept with her and dumped her.

I could have sworn in the episode where they found the data node that Navabi was about to be blown up by a self-destruct mechanism. She was the only one inside, while Ginger McGee was safely outside. Seeing how nonchalantly they 'deleted' Meera, it'd fit.

PaybackJack posted:

She needs to go just so that they can drop the stupid unrequited love angle with Aram.

Or Aram finally needs to hit his 'forever friend-zoned' breaking point and become a supervillain.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ShakeZula posted:

I mean, I guess they could say that Lotte Verbeek (who played Katarina in Red's vision) could be playing the younger version of Famke Janssen, but that's kind of a stretch. I mean, Famke is about 18 years older in real life, but she certainly doesn't look like it.

We already know Famke's name - and while 'Charlie' might be her *new* name, it'd also be a safe assumption that if you were a believed-to-be-dead former badass KGB super-spy, you'd probably be lethal well into your 60s. Look at Helen Mirren's 'RED' character...or more appropriately, Lena Olin's from "Alias."

But, she's probably *is* Liz's mother - because this show likes to think it's clever in how it foists ~gotcha~ moments on its audience.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 29, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ShakeZula posted:

Well she would definitely have a new name of some kind. I'm just saying that if Famke turns out to be playing Katarina it's an interesting move to have two different actresses who look so close in age play the role in such close proximity.

My guess is the more plausible ~twist~ is that Famke isn't Lizzy's mother, but rather Lizzy's mother's slightly younger sister. So an *Elena* Derevko, not Irina. Brian Dennehy's father character said 'his daughter,' not 'his only daughter.'

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Medullah posted:

Holy poo poo I just realized I'm a terrible person because I thought "That dude reminds me of Brian Dennehy, but he killed himself". And I just now remembered that was Brian Keith, not Dennehy. DOH.

What hosed with my mind is that my first thought was "holy poo poo, Jon Voight's really let himself go."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

tao of lmao posted:

It'll be a real shame if they bring her back because the show is infinitely better without her.

The only thing that gives me 'hope' that they might've actually done something interesting by killing her off is that they're putting plenty of ancillary female presence (both new and existing) in for Red to play off of. We already know Red likes to get high when he's upset - if they want her to come back, it can be in a dream or drug-addled haze.

That being said, the show is infinitely better NOW because she's not around, but I could see it getting tedious if she *is* dead and they never take the 'black armband' off. I could also see the show becoming tedious if it turns into a running case of 'Who Shot J.R.?'

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 9, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

DaveKap posted:

(This is me commenting on the fact that this show kills off so many random people, it's hard to feel bad about an important character dying.)

I was pretty convinced they were going to kill off Samar when she was the only person in the house with the servers in it. As much as I like her character, her death *might* coax Aram to find his balls...or lose them entirely.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cless Alvein posted:

Yeah the action stuff was good, but it was just a but wierd that it seemed like they were setting up some sexual tension between Tom and what's her face only for the ending reveal that she is his mother and all.

I had the same thought. That being said, this reveal lessens my faith in the spin-off, even though I'm pretty sure Famke can pull off the semi-legit Carmen Sandiego character.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Medullah posted:

So...Scottie doesn't know that Tom's her kid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vyj1C8ogtE

Well played, but my gut tells me that - given that we've already been told that Ryan Eggold is going to factor heavily into the new show...

I just don't want a show that has a "should I tell her?!? / you *can't* tell her!" dynamic in *every loving episode*. Especially since the sexual tension isn't going to go away until he does.

Also, god...gently caress you. That song's gonna be in my head for the rest of the night. :argh:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Octy posted:

Well, they did, but briefly and nobody seemed to care that much anyway.

Solomon is useful, but everyone knows he's the snake/scorpion from the fables. If anything, the look on his face when he realized his mouth finally might have cost him his life was priceless.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Octy posted:

Hey, I like Tom when he's actually killing bad people and not being all domestic. If they'd only go back to that the show would be fine.

Somehow I just know the spin-off is going to be a better show, but no one will watch it because...hey...no Spader. =/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Chasiubao posted:

No Spader means not better.

The personnel working for Scottie - just from that one little peek we got in the prior episode - have more chemistry than anyone on this show does, and that's without us knowing who is screwing whom.

Also, the offshoot show is called The Blacklist: Redemption. Lizzy might die yet!

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 21, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ShakeZula posted:

Her being dead at least allowed for the whole "Tom is lost and bitter about Liz's death, so he takes Scottie up on her offer and tries to find answers about it/learn about his true past." The baby problem is still there, but at least he's not just walking away from his intact family that way.

I think they were setting up his 'walking away' while Agnes was watching him about to break a guy's neck.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Good god the telegraph is huge this season. Kirk needs Lizzy's [insert vital organ here] to cure his otherwise incurable blood disease because while he is Lizzy's father, he's now the show's Arvin Sloane who will do anything to further his agenda, up to and including using his granddaughter as leverage to force his impudent daughter to give him her [insert vital organ here] so he can raise his granddaughter to be a proper heir to the ~evil empire~ he's created.

Then they'll go hunt down ~Romboldo~ artifacts so they can mind control everyone through Facebook and Twitter because that dude prognosticated it 1000 years ago. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gonz posted:

The show ends with Spader trapped in a Lazarus Pit.

Precisely. I think one of the writers of this show binge-watched the animated Batman series. We're hosed if he watched Batman Beyond, too - the cliffhanger plot will be for Kirk to exchange his consciousness with Lizzy, so he can live on in her youthful body, because, you see, he's always had gender identity issues as WELL as being terminally ill from a blood disorder they couldn't name for some reason! It hits SO MANY DEMOGRAPHIC METRICS!

"IS LIZZY STILL LIZZY?!?! FIND OUT NEXT SEASON!"

• Locked thread