Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

It's a little colder than normal this morning:

Best pet of the thread. Well.. maybe a tie with that christmas beetle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Gonkish posted:

When this poo poo finally goes tits up it's going to be a treasure trove of schadenfreude like goons haven't seen in years. :allears:

This thread should raise cash for Mirificus and Gorf to quit their day jobs and document this full time. Valuable schadenfreude could fall through the cracks without enough manpower.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Lime Tonics posted:

Here is something neat.

I wrote down last night at 3:10 am EST, the counts for money funded, and players entering the game. In the span of 8.5 hours, star citizen gained 5513 dollars and gained 384 subscribers.

1,319,054 user

110,108,920 money 3:10 am thursday march 17 2016

Now its at,

1,319,438 user

110,114,433 money 11:41 am thursday march 17 2016

That averages to 14 dollars spent each "new user" joining. I bet they have dummy accounts set up to funnel in money, without actual spending any money at all. It is a neat trick to scam investors. Inflate the numbers without breaking the books. One neat trick THEY DON'T want you to know.

To me there is just no loving way this data is representative of actual money changing hands. Why in Christ would they take that risk when they can just use a simulation based on some easily manipulated indicators? Do they make any specific claims about the source of this data?

Maybe it's a factor of store traffic? Items added to carts? Predicted revenue per forum account, or forum post volume?

I just look at that chart and smell a loving mathematical dumpster fire; one that CIG uses for warmth and can throw tires in whenever they need at no cost to them

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

alf_pogs posted:

the only stereotype sandi really falls into is "horrible racist rear end in a top hat"

Talentless narcissistic wannabe actress

Wife of the Boss/Director that has no business working there

Thin, attractive woman surrounding herself with Lesnicks

Believer in crystals, ghost computer chip amulets, the power of 42

and it just keeps going. She is an uncomfortable spectacle that relentlessly puts her personality defects in view

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

starkebn posted:

Guys, the last time the thread was really poo poo was when Fuzznot would post recipes and knitting poo poo on every page. Don't bring that back with your guitars and poo poo, please.

Knitting was cool I can't even believe this is your opinion

Only poo poo part was lazer and healthcare discussion

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Wow that's actually an improvement

I agree, you can see the enormous time and effort they put in to this only without the garbage writing and directing

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Banano posted:

This took far too long for what it is

https://youtu.be/F7M5QnyJHfA

This has been the best gimmick in several hundred pages, thank you all for fixing this speech

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

lazorexplosion posted:

I try to understand other perspectives, but it's like my brain just balks at even conceiving of spending thousands of dollars on something that doesn't exist yet, is only vague promises and there's little to no practical recourse if the vague promises don't come to fruition.

And I'm talking about anything, let alone a goddamn videogame, let alone one that's vague or incoherent or ambitious to the point of ridiculousness, massively scope creeped, led by a mumbling idiot with a dubious record, consuming an endlessly increasing budget and delivering mostly jank that only reveals they're falling into the software doom spiral where anything they do breaks old things and old broken things are almost never permanently fixed.

It's like some people just congenitally lack a mental immune system against terrible ideas, and it feels like nothing I could say would reach them because I'd be trying to appeal to a part of their brain that they just plain lack.

20 pages old, but I look at this behavior as something we're all capable of. Humans are tribal animals, and people crave the security of belonging to a tribe. Facts of project management are irrelevant when emotions are driving decisions. The people running the show believe their own hype and that gives everyone else permission to have blind faith

That we see the behavior as a defect is just a matter of perspective. I think the zealots see dumping cash on the fire as spiritual tithing that makes their tribe stronger and reinforces their status in it.

I honestly think these people are getting real value for money, they can't go to Target and buy a $500 vacuum cleaner and have a community support how wonderful a decision they made is, and how it will show 'so and so' and finally make their unsatisfied longings come true.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

Oldman is right pissed that this has become his legacy: https://www.google.com/search?q=gar...ary+oldman+parp

Oh my god. thank you for this link.

Seeing them all on one page just killed me

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

runsamok posted:

Wow. Just, wow. Great find.

Crobbler really is a shameless, hopeless, soulless hack, free of any original or critical thought.

E: Cattes.

Your cats are amazing! this thread needs more multi-pet pics

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Pratt2112 posted:

Present!

Saw a post on Derek's FB page with a screencap of it, had a surreal moment of thinking "I've read that somewhere before", and then realized it was me.

Pretty trippy when that happens.

I don't even spend much time at mmorpg.com anymore. When I do go there, I inevitably run into the idiocy that floods the SC forums, and it drives me nuts. Erillion, in particular... holy crap. If SC fans are the Scientologists of gaming, then Erillion is Tom Cruise.

All we need is Tom Cruise jumping on a couch, shooting jpeg ships at Oprah, and the picture will be complete.

Now that I think about it, can someone do that? That would be pretty amazing.

(Edited, 'cause my Tom Cruise scenario didn't really make sense and I'm slightly OCD lol.)

hell yeah Rush.

Welcome aboard

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

The skipping dinner remark is a classic. Good indicator someone has no loving idea how many calories they are consuming. Really though this is the norm for Americans and not a knock on Ben

take a sabbatical from this poo poo house company and start weighing portions and counting calories dude

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

replace the toilet with this sanitation practice and bingo

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

runsamok posted:

My catte finally posed for a photo.

Literally the fanciest cat I've ever seen, well done

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

G0RF posted:

THE WALL OF :words:

Gorf what's your take on CIG selling to outside investors? Seems the general vibe is their product and customer base is to vile to attract buyers.

The cynic in me thinks that there absolutely will be a buyout when cig is backed into a corner. Even if the brand is a toxic wasteland, it's known and I'm not sure about the legal case to be made for their liabilities to backers

That would probably be funnier than a flat out institutional collapse, so bring it on

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Boy howdy I do sure enjoy watching people talk about a board game with a camera angle that does not show off the board, or the game, and audio that makes them sound like they are speaking in tongues.

Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues - Slippery People

e: actually linked the Stop Making Sense version because it's amazing

moveable shape fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 28, 2016

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Space Games That Are Real And People Should Be Playing

Elite
Rebel Galaxy
Starsector

Space Games That I Am Legitimately Excited For Because Holy poo poo The Gameplay Looks Amazing You loving Hear That CIG People Get Excited About Gameplay Not Your Stupid loving Shows Or Wing Commander Jesus gently caress Ben Can You Actually Go Five Minutes Without Looking At Your loving Phone Or Talking About A loving Game That's Old Enough To Drink Yet Only You Give A poo poo About Because Apparently Chris Roberts Gave You Sight Or Whatever The gently caress Seriously TIE Fighter Was So Much Better

Stellaris
Enemy Starfighter

The way they handled the vindicator/sabre/potato debacle and your banning really showed the depth of incompetence and desperation to cling to success they did not understand or deserve.

They make incredibly bad and reactive decisions because of incompetence not malice. The fact that they are STILL TAKING PEOPLES MONEY for dreams is the critical point that makes this whole thing a surreal fever dream that I just cannot believe

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

D_Smart posted:

1) Yes. It's the start of a catastrophic cascading doomsday effect that is going to start playing out effective now

Smart if your bluster doesn't start paying off today I am going to be genuinely upset! I know you cannot help yourself ('on the spectrum', etc) but it's time for the daily, urgent doomsaying to deliver. I for one am hopeful you won't pull a Roberts on this

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Let the record show that, on this day, I warned everyone that Star Citizen (aka PU) as they once knew it, is on "maintenance mode" aka indefinite hold aka canceled

Remember Star Marine.

Remember the current abandoned state of Arena Commander.

You were warned. On this day.

They're hosed. Two Weeks. The End.

Derek you blowing hard about things is not the same as providing evidence. Even if you KNOW THIS TO BE A FACT! we can't feel your righteousness via text posts even with emphatic caps and bolding.

Please provide verifiable evidence next time so the rest of us can all enjoy your coital-posting as much as you do

That said this shits hilarious don't change a thing

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Toops posted:

Yeah, the biggest challenge beyond getting the tech right to unify models and assets is the massive PR campaign required. I do think people would want to contribute if you gave them a great toolset to work with (for free) and they felt a part of something new, large, and exciting. The idea behind the project would have to go really, really crazy viral, and remain so for a long time.

That's why it's a pipe-dream. But again, I think it's entirely possible.

Seems inevitable some human behavior meltdown would occur beyond a certain popularity threshold like all human endeavors. I really dig the idea of middleware to manage asset/scenario creation, probably since I grew up making garbage UT/CS maps. I think the problem is quality games are loving hard to make and few care enough to put the required effort in.

Anyway you should call the platform 'dream pipe' in honor of CIG

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Wrecked Angle posted:

I hate to go against the narrative here but aside from the 'the backers will never know' comment this isn't really that big of a deal. All of this only becomes a big deal when they have burnt through the backers funds and haven't produced a game. Until Derek's E.L.E happens then all this talk about squandering money is a bit irrelevant.

It's all due to the lovely crowd-funding model and what they've basically done is take out a $110,000,000 loan against producing the BDSSE. If by some miracle they were to release a really good game at the end of all this then you wouldn't really be able to point at them and say 'Yeah, okay the game is great but you spent 0.25% of the funds on a Porsche, a coffee machine and some business class flights so you are terrible people'.

My point is it's all a matter of perspective. If they and the backers truly believe that sometime next year they will have made the BDSSE then I can fully see why they have no problem booking $6000 flights. In fact, if they were to be successful as a business while building the BDSSE they wouldn't even spend $110 million doing it! They would spend ~$75 million and show a profit of $35 million over 4 5 6 years.

It's exactly why Kickstarter/Crowd-funding is so dumb. The consumer takes on all the risk and if it's successful the founder gets a business out of it. People who pledge in crowd-funding are almost always just giving the founder an interest free, unsecured loan and they are happy about that? I just don't get it.

What makes this whole thing astounding is the perverse incentive that exists in a crowd funded project that never stops taking idiots money. The whole system is rigged for deception and/or project killing scope creep. And it's done basically risk free for the business owners

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015
Chris saying 'no point in working on the old system while building the new one' seems important, anyone got a timestamp? It almost validates the Smart bomb about PU entering maintenance mode

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Truga posted:

Imagine there's no Roberts
It's easy if you try
No spy behind us
Above us only cry
Imagine all the people
Playing Elite today...

Imagine there's no Sandi
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to hate or cry for
And no shaving too
Imagine all the people
Playing Elite in peace...

I am having a hard time imagining there's no Sandi but I will keep trying

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

D_Smart posted:

You're clueless.

What he said, and what you just typed are actually in support of my stance that the current (old) mPU is going into maintenance mode. As I've said before, anything they add now feature-wise, is about making money.

:lol: now I know how Ben must feel when he suffers the Master Programmer's wrath. I'm gonna go eat a case of maple bars to soothe this pain

For the record, I was concurring with you. Trying to find concrete evidence that supports your claim straight from the Mush's mouth. Honestly that sounds pretty close!

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

He looks like he am been like death, hollow all of his life.

But does he feel a special? Maybe so

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015
Leavers leaked

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Trapezium Dave posted:

How far apart are they planning on releasing SQ42 episodes?

Hahaha that's a good one

Seriously though I think what we've heard is the first episode has 5 parts. Yeah. They are gonna mission pack the bejesus out of this because they cannot survive without that cash flow

e: procedural bird gorging on simulated ripe berries. Just like this thread on CRoberts writing

moveable shape fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 1, 2016

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

RescueFreak posted:

So the E.L.E. was the script leaking?

Nah I think the ELE is they've openly announced they are scrapping basically everything they've done to this point for 'the new system'. No part of their existing system meets requirements for SC or SQ42. They are rebuilding everything. Now. They have got sweet fuckall (seriously listen to Chris on this weeks RtV or whatever bullshit show) and not enough money or cashflow to ride it out without a miracle

Get the very strong impression that 2.4 will not even be this year Chris tried to say they've been working on 'the new system' for over a year, so it's like 3 months away but he is so full of poo poo and if they don't get a miracle bailout they are done. Maybe they can play some weird debt shell game with all their corps to buy enough time to make SQ42 a salable product?

I told Derek I'd be disappointed if his 'poo poo is going down starting NOW' didn't pay off. But I honest to god believe it after listening carefully to CRoberts. What an incredible clusterfuck

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Trapezium Dave posted:

Wait, this is just Act I Scene I, pay for each individually? How have they convinced anyone that this is going work?

Honestly I'm not sure what the SQ42 pre-order buys you - it might be one complete story of a trilogy arc or something. Maybe parts 2-5 would be mission packs along the lines of DLC. It might even have been 5 episodes, 3 parts in ep 1. Whatever the case it's painfully clear this is their path forward and not the multiplayer universe

I just look at this and it's obvious they need this real bad to keep them afloat, on the assumption free whale cash dries up. They need a mechanism to get more money from the rubes that already paid and/or a port to consoles.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Berious posted:

I like this gif because the intro to spin me round plays in my head every time

:pgabz::hfive::pgabz:

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

padijun posted:

bohemiah waxwings are pretty cool, every year a flock of them like a quarter mile long will just gently caress up any and all berry trees in downtown anchorage during the late winter and early spring

Now that would be fun to watch. We just get smaller groups of Cedars in my area. They have an interesting way of just streaming from point to point as a group so I can usually recognize them by that movement. Overall a pretty good bird, way fancier than all those lame Robins

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

AP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j541GfcjviM&t=57s

:captainpop:

This is the main guy I watch who is still deep into the Cult

[quote="AP" post="458142620"]

LOL

Somebody's not glad of it

e: the gently caress did I do? New post = edit?

moveable shape fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 1, 2016

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

IronicDongz posted:

lol
lmao

and then you go and post like this

Derek has explained that he's an autistic dog with a bone. He can get upset when there are other bones put in between him and his pathological need to eradicate HIS bone. Makes perfect sense to me

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

alphabettitouretti posted:

jfc this is some bollocks. It's like Star Trek written by someone having a stroke.

'Sub-moronic' describes this dialogue nicely

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Goddammit I feel like I've seen this exact curve 10 times. This tracker is some real bullshit and makes me :argh:

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Wrecked Angle posted:

Yes, but is it realistic to think they have more than a couple of thousand subscribers? I mean even with 10,000 subs at $20 a month that is only accounting for $6,500 a day or roughly $270 an hour.

I'm still really suspicious of the figures on that chart but I think it's more a case of them reporting 'weird' data than purposefully being faked. I can't see that they are selling $50k a day in ships and game packages at all, that would involve them selling more than 200 ships a day, everyday and I just don't think that demand is out there.

:iiam: is all I have at the moment. CIG are presumably piping the data to the website so they could pump whatever numbers they want up there. Do they want it to look like they're 'okay' bringing in 2-3mill a month? Possibly, but that's only gonna make it much worse if/when they fail and the numbers don't add up. :shrug:

I just cannot imagine that chart represents actual money changing hands. Just no.

Maybe it's a model that takes some store metrics and adds a bunch of modifiers to that to represent 'other funding sources' like tax rebates, monthly cash flow from lines of credit? This poo poo is driving me mad I need to go full sperg and reverse engineer their model - it just cannot be what it seems

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Toops posted:

Honestly? Nothing has happened. This ELE is really shaping up to be a big wet fart. I will continue to believe this until any evidence whatsoever of its existence can be sourced.

edit: An old version of the Squadron 42 script leaked, but it's so bad it's not even loving funny.

Toops did you watch CRobberts on Wednesday? This slightly satisfied my blue ELE balls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfQYKW7E-w

He jabbers endlessly about loving nonsense details but keeps revealing the fact that EVERYTHING they've built up to this point is being shitcanned and redone. I hear this as: all work to date on the engine object/entity system, net code, physics it is all 100% unusable garbage. Listening to that made my jaw drop, they got loving nothing after all this time.

You're an actual coder so what is your take on this? If what CR is saying is they've been rebuilding 'the new poo poo' for about a year wont 100% of the level design / art work done to this point need major rework? How they sweet gently caress are they shipping SQ42 in the next 18 months?

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I dunno man there's probably been a lot of Puzzle and Dragons eggs sold today too :shrug:

I know you are right and obviously they have been afloat for 4 years but that loving chart turns me into :rant:

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

I can't believe the incredible arrogance on Chris Roberts' part. This guy hasn't made a successful game in over a decade, and has a list of failures under his belt significant enough to put his net contributions to gaming deep into the red. Derek has harped on Sandi's lack of respect for people who've made their livings working in gaming, but she's nothing compared to Chris. Every game that has been made by modest, skilled, hard-working developers to push the genre forward is being met by Chris's absolute contempt. Yeah, ok so Witcher 3 was OK, he guesses, but that's just because HE hasn't tried yet, that's all. Yeah I'm sure the Skyrim developers made a game and all, but what till they see what he does. MAYBE Rockstar can match him, if they're lucky. Maybe.

What a miserable piece of poo poo this man is. He has absolutely no pedigree to back up the kinds of claims he's making, and frankly, it's disrespectful and insulting to the entire community. I can't think of a single instance where Derek talked like Chris does (aside from against Star Citizen, which he's right about), but Derek gets the lion's share of poo poo. Meanwhile Chris gets a free pass and a pat on the back from the cultists.

I'm willing to give Peter Molyneux, John Romero, gently caress even George Lucas a total free pass at this point on the mistakes they've made. You guys can all go free, and in my book, you've wiped the slate clean. Chris Roberts is the one I want to see go down - as hard and as spectacularly as possible. Sneering openly at people who are his superiors in every conceivable way, while pissing away over $100 million and failing at every turn, even at things I didn't think it was possible to fail at, is not forgivable.

Choke hard on that E.L.E. dick, Chris.

Agreed, Chris stands alone as the worst performing name in the gaming industry. His legacy is forever a joke and cautionary tale.

He and Sandi are literally children emotionally. It's Arrested Development. They are real life Lindsay and Tobias

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Wrecked Angle posted:

Does anyone know if this RtV got transcribed? Because I'm starting to think my brain just can't understand mushmouth's dialect or something.

I've just tried listening to the same bit about patching/build revisions 3 times and I still can't make sense of it. Maybe someone else can confirm but is he really implying that up until this point they haven't had version control on code or assets? And why does he seem to confuse introducing a patcher for the client with compiling/building the program?

Like, I'll genuinely admit that IANAGD but to me all this sounds either really confused or batshit crazy.

I think SomethingJones transcribed a question or two? I'll do it myself today if no one else is working on it, this is really the tipping point for my perception of the project's health.

I'm no coder or game dev but the words he puts together technically make sense - the reality is these systems he's talking about are the absolute loving foundation of a game. These by definition cannot be continuations of all the spaghetti poo poo they have slopped together so far. They are trashing 2.0 like they did Star Marine because it was to hosed to integrate into a disastrously hacked apart CryEngine in 2.0 they churned out to deny refunds on the basis of progress

Roberts believes he will make it. He has to. There is no way he is breaking stride until his legs are broken by unpaid creditors. My POV is they spent all their money on polish and now realize they have no working foundation. Smart was right (the smug gently caress)

• Locked thread