Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
"I can't believe he's gone..."

"I hear he just got too old to run the bar in the end."

"Too old? Please, he was just too drunk. What I heard, the booze started giving him
odd thoughts and odd visitors, and--"

"Hush yourself! No need to speak ill of the dead! 'sides, what's going to happen to the old bar? It's been closed for years at this point..."

"He technically owned that plot of land, but I don't think he had a will with the Church. Didn't he have some family out past the mountains...?"

SANGREAL: A TAVERN TALE
~ A CYOA by mepstein73 ~

THE STORY
This is a Choose Your Own Adventure story where you have come into inheritance of your estranged grandfather's old bar. With not much else going on in your life, you have decided to cross the Whitestone Mountains to try to revitalize the bar and forge a new life for yourself in Stoneflower Village. However, things may not necessarily be as they appear in this sleepy, happy town. Strange events, and that's not even considering the work you've got cut out for you if you want to build up a tavern that people will travel for miles to visit!

THE FEEL
I am largely going to be drawing on the Harvest Moon series of games (specifically Harvest Moon 64, my personal favorite) for a lot of the feel of this game. However, this is taking place in a world that is not fully "mundane," nor is it fully "modern." My intention is to have a bit of a rustic European fantasy feel in this game, so if you're not into mildly superstitious country folk, the occasional fairy and assorted harvest festivals... sorry.

MECHANICS
I will be implementing a modified version of Fate Aspects for this game to guide the story and voting options. More info will be posted after character creation. In short, though, character creation will define the main character's demeanor, skills, and general personality.

VOTING STYLE
Votes for how to respond to certain situations will typically be drawn from your main character's Aspects. To start, I will be using Ralith and LowellDND's vote bot to scrape and tally votes from the thread. As such, votes MUST be formatted as follows:
  • The entire vote should be Bold text (select the whole thing, press ctrl- or cmd-b)
  • Preceded by ##vote
  • In all cases, individual votes should be preceded by the question number (1, 2, etc) followed by a period (1. for instance)
  • Primary choice goes first. This must be a letter (A, B, C, D, etc)
  • Secondary choices should be separated by either a semicolon (;) for rank preference, or a comma (,) for indifference.

Thus, if voting for B primarily, with A and C as secondary options, and D as a tertiary option, you would type:

code:
[b]
##vote
1. b;a,c;d
[/b]
Feel free to use capital letters! Also, anything NOT in bold will not be counted, so keep that in mind when votiing. Feel free to leave other comments below your vote, though! If this becomes too much of a hassle for folks (myself included), I will revert back to the old ways of hand-counting votes.

I’ll try to update every few days as my schedule permits, so stay tuned!

Now, let's get this show on the road!

Much thanks to Tomn for the idea of this CYOA, and to LowellDND for pushing me to finally start one of my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
Table of Contents

0. Introduction
    Part One: Character Generation
  1. The Stranger
  2. Lost
  3. Very Superstitious
  4. Back To Walking
  5. The Three Horsemen

mepstein73 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 20, 2016

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Reserved for later use

Art and Image Gallery

Nothing here yet!

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

The Stranger

“What? Are you lost? You don’t look like you’re from around here… Can I help you find your way?” A wan smile crossed the man’s lips as he eyed you up and down.

Indeed you didn’t look like you belonged here. Walking along the unfamiliar cobblestone streets, gripping a weathered envelope with a broken seal, and besides that…

Vote 1.
a. A well-used blade at your side and a battered buckler upon your back
b. A bulging trail pack of books, ranging in topic from botany to witchcraft
c. Nothing but the clothes on your back, but boy are they fancy!
d. Nothing but the clothes on your back, and boy could they use a washing!

...you definitely had the air of a stranger to Stoneflower Village. Even this old farmer leaning against his one-horse cart could tell that.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

##vote
1 B; A

Lets hope there is some recipes in them there books.

BoneMonkey fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 19, 2016

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
##vote
1 B; C

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
##vote
1 B

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
##vote
1 B

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
##vote
1 B; C

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
##vote
1 B; A

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
##vote
1 B; A

Trying to be both we may end up being neither, but let's see what happens.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

##vote
1. B; A

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Mr. Nemo posted:

##vote
1 B; A

Trying to be both we may end up being neither, but let's see what happens.
Well, you're not voting to be both, you're voting to be one or the other (rather than any of the rest) :v:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

##vote
1 A; B, D; C

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
##vote
1. B; D; A; C

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

##vote
1. B

we're a well-read traveler dragging our entire library across the mountains!

edit: I don't know how to type

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

##vote

1. B

EDIT

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 21, 2016

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
##vote
1 B

I'm not a witch, I'm your wife!

We are a witch though. Also, not married.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
##vote
1 A

Hitting things with sharp things never goes out of style.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Sorry for the long delay, currently very sick.

Winner: B!

Lost

"Err... yes. I'm a bit lost... Can you help me find the magistrate's home? I need to pick up a key, and find--"

"Say no more. Was wondering when one of you would show up here in Stoneflower, since they sent out that letter you've got there three months back. You've got a look in your eye that reminds me of your old granpappy. That man certainly had no sense of direction either. Not much sense at all, for that matter. Come on, this way." The farmer stood up straight and audibly cracked his back. You hadn't noticed earlier, but he seemed very old. A lot like one of your tutors back at the Great Academy.

As you took a friendly step towards him, the old seams in your bag's bottom finally gave out. With a drawn out ripping sound that made you wince, followed by a series of flapping thuds, your carried possessions--largely many bundles of sundry books-- hit the cobblestone street, leaving you with an empty cloth rucksack flapping on your back.

Figures.

Stifling a deep laugh, the farmer stooped with a creak that could scatter birds to help you gather up the scattered tomes.

"Do answer me this, though-- why the library on your back?"

Vote 1.
a. "Just personal curiosity. 'A learned life is a happy life,' as Master Lorel says."
b. "Gotta study to stay sharp for when I return to the Academy! I won't be here too long, I'm sure."
c. "My friends each gave me a favorite text of theirs for the journey. Certainly appreciated them when the carriages got stuck last week."
d. "Nicked 'em from Master Pince at the Libraries. Never liked that old coot. Ha."

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
##vote
1 A

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
##vote
1. A;B;C

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Edit:

##vote
1. Plan hollylolly

Though I think we should say it was one of the other choices. That bastard didn't deserve these wonderful books, but we can't let friendly old farmer know we're a thief/witch!

Edit: hollylolly's plan is what I wanted!

Wentley fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 26, 2016

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
##vote
1 A

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

##Vote
1. D;B;A

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
##vote
C;B,A

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

##vote
1. Plan hollylolly

LIE: say A when the real answer is D

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

##vote
1. Plan hollylolly

Just your average book-haver here, not some kind of dastardly witch-thief, no sir!

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

##vote
1 D;B;A

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

##vote
1. Plan hollylolly

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

##vote
1. C;A

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

##vote
1. C

Why not have a couple of old friends going into this?

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Guess you weren't very social at the Academy, but were curious about many subjects... Interesting. Making a note on the character. Also, expect a post about once a week until May, and tell your friends to vote!

Winner: A, (with a touch of thievery)!

Very Superstitious

"Oh, these? Curiosity, mostly. I was a student at the Academy up until very recently. Master Lorel says it's a good trait to have, curiosity... Gets you places." At this, the old farmer scoffed and stood with an armful of cookbooks, songbooks, and a pamphlet on identifying various carrion birds.

"Gets you places indeed. Maybe best you don't get there, 'round these parts."

"What do you mean by that?" You stood as well with a slight grunt of exertion. It'd be a pain to carry all this without a functional traveling pack, you were beginning to realize...

"Well, let's put it this way kid. Your granpappy had a streak of curiosity too, and it led to some troubles later in his life. Why, just last year one of the Green Knights of Trill came through here based on a hunch stuck in 'im by yer grandpa 'bout some gate this or portal that what they're always talking about. You know the Knights. right...?"

Vote 1.
A.
"Of course. They're the seekers of the Crystal Song, a shard of the words of creation that built and shaped our world. They're a superstitious lot that can't get their heads out of the past, I think."
B. "Of course. They're the seekers of the Umber Palimpsest, a scroll that can unmake a man who reads it from the inside out, and turn him into a new being of shadow. They're rumored to have magic of their own which is very powerful, but I don't believe it."
C. "Of course. They're a cult of personality that lives and dies by the sword, very often their own, as they seek out new members to fill their mercenary ranks. Their leader's supposed to be quite beautiful."
D. "Of course. They're the noble knights of the crown, ready to die for honor and defend the kingdom against the darkness below. I knew a former knight at the Academy; she was always picking fights over trifles."

"Well," the farmer continued, "this Knight, 'e was so angry, he nearly burned down the block when he left the tavern! Never did find out if he found what he was looking for, though... Best not to inquire 'bout these types of things, I say."

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

##vote
1. A

Sounds the most interesting to me. :D

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
##Vote
1) c

For the same reason as hollylolly

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
##vote
1. B

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

We're very decisive. :D

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Someone vote for D