Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

zedprime posted:

The scummy game exploit comes in two. [spoiler]First is that if you notice when grabbing from a companion, items you traded them are yours again. If you include food and tools in every purchase and make sure the NPC wants to be a companion, you can get everything for free by inviting them along after the trade and taking your stuff back.

This looks a lot easier than my current tactic of inviting random villagers along for an adventure, then having them suffer "mysterious hunting accidents" as soon as the town is out of sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Had I realized how long and tedious setting up traps was, I would have started much earlier. Hopefully I manage to find enough food for winter. Not sure about setting up a cabin in time either...

I also wish I had settled near better villages. These guys don't have poo poo

:e What's the best place to put a trap fence? I'm a bit worried because I haven't seen a single animal here besides annoying task cancelling birds, will I actually catch anything?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I usually just keep an eye out for where I see animals near my house and make them near there. Also terrain features that funnel animals such as fords and lakes can be good ways to improve the odds.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's kind of two different modes of trap setting. The less intensive one is opportunistic trapping where you set and bait a handful of traps based on what you have seen in the area, or know to inhabit the biome. The in game encylopedia breaks down what the different deadfalls are sized for and you then match it. Small scale trap fence set ups can apply too, for ungulate trapping, but its labor intensive for something that isn't as useful as going whole hog like below. If you get the permission to catch a fox ritual, you can outright spawn a fox in whatever cell you are in and leave a paw board or deadfall for it. This mode is best combined with active hunting, so you can leave traps for things you just missed or got away, or setting up in the regions around your homestead which you start knowing the inhabitants of intimately. Trap skill is a big deal if you're trying to subsist of this method, as high skill can cause animals to beeline to properly baited traps, if not spawn new inhabitants to live in the area and then beeline to them.

The other is the giant gently caress off trap fence mode. Ungulates range around just about everywhere, but especially mires. So the idea is using natural landscape barriers like water and trees combined with fences, you create multi-kilometer long contraptions that force ungulates into somewhere specific with pit traps. This is a huge rival for time with your house the first year, especially since you need a house to smoke meat anyway if you can't get your cuts to town before spoiling in the summer heat, so its probably better positioned as a summer dog days or fall vanity project.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Reading through Finnish myth, greatly enjoying the fact that no one has a clue what a Sampo actually is. :iiam:

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I cannot for the life of me find another village anywhere near by. Any tips?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Olewithmilk posted:

I cannot for the life of me find another village anywhere near by. Any tips?
Hit F6, make sure cultural regions are showing, then make sure you are in a cultural region. Villages will be toward the center of the bubbles and tend to cluster in groups of 2-6.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

zedprime posted:

Hit F6, make sure cultural regions are showing, then make sure you are in a cultural region. Villages will be toward the center of the bubbles and tend to cluster in groups of 2-6.

I think this is it, away from the computer in the minute but pretty sure I'm in no man's land.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
There are also some unaffiliated "forester villages" scattered around in no-man's land, but they're tiny and have piss-all to trade, so yeah.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Do any traps (Pits, pits with spikes, etc) work against human enemies?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

khy posted:

Do any traps (Pits, pits with spikes, etc) work against human enemies?

I know the pits with spikes do. And they work on you as well. (Alas, poor SuperFin)

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Are you supposed to settle in a cultural region? I'm on the edge of one in no man's land but there are about a dozen villages within easy walking distance. A Njerpaz region is abot a day or two away.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its personal preference. I don't think there's any less animals for example. But they way entities work I suspect you end up competing against local hunters or dealing with adventurers or other wanderers spooking animals away from predictable paths, which leads to the advice that hunting inside cultural borders is more challenging. If you have all the tools you need, you can honestly live your life way out in the middle of nowhere to no ill effect and come back to civilization once every year or two for new fishing nets.

The closer you are to the Njerpez territory, the more likely you are to see their warriors as they seem to start at home, then go out and back looking for loot. So you see every warrior band on their way out and way back compared to seeing a few filter way out to the west and north.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I've added a few new items and recipes just editing the text files, but is there a way to add in your own graphics or are you stuck using the already existing ones?

edit: I love the title screen music so much. I just start the game up now even when I can't play right away.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 11, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zoe posted:

I've added a few new items and recipes just editing the text files, but is there a way to add in your own graphics or are you stuck using the already existing ones?

edit: I love the title screen music so much. I just start the game up now even when I can't play right away.
Looks you can point [TILEGFX:{filename minus png}] at whatever you desire, after dumping it in the graphics folder. You just need to follow some sprite conventions detailed in a readme in the graphics folder.

Everyone should get familiar with the graphics folder, in case, like, you park your punt behind a coniferous tree and search for it for several in game hours before giving it a little bit to stand out. You know, theoretically.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Zoe posted:

Well, if you like the title music I think it's a safe bet this'll tickle your fancy as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NSRyBSb62c

Anyone in the mood for some ambient-y, folky tunes give it a listen. Should fit this game like a glove, though they do use some synth sounds as well.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 11, 2016

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Thinking of a new challenge: survive a winter while on the move.

No building cabins, no squatting in villages. Is this doable?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Man, njerpez warriors don't mess around. 3 solid arrow hits and with nothing more than a handaxe he still blended everything that got into melee, which included a dog, a companion, and me when I decided to close the distance after he started shooting my broadhead arrows back at me.

I fittingly died at the Painswamp.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I noticed that you start at 16 years old, do your stats change as you get older, higher strength followed by a plateau then a slow decline, barring injuries? Has anyone made it to old age?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Molybdenum posted:

I noticed that you start at 16 years old, do your stats change as you get older, higher strength followed by a plateau then a slow decline, barring injuries? Has anyone made it to old age?

No stats are fixed afaik. Also you will die before you turn 20 believe me, surviving through more than a couple winters is hell: either you play it safe and get bored of the game, or you take challenges and risks and die horribly.

I'm sure someone will chime in telling of their 20 passed in game years but even though I love this game I never got farther than 1 and a half years on a single character.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah, by the time you make it past your first two years you've done about all you want to. That also takes a while so you're usually ready to move on to the next character.

That's when it's time to strike out for njerpez territory with your best weapons and dog and take the fight to the enemy for as long as you can. It's usually not very long.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Are you limited to one companion or can you assemble a short term warband?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can get multiple companions, limited by how many people in a town are willing to travel within range of where you want to go.

You can also get a pack of dogs.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Molybdenum posted:

Are you limited to one companion or can you assemble a short term warband?

you can make a warband, and you can be very successful if you do so. My current character is hunting a lot of meat so that when summer comes I can take a village/herd of cattle from the njerpz

Neron
Jan 14, 2008

Welp, I was wondering if my trap fence was worth all the effort it took to build, but now I'm sitting on about 700 smoked stag and elk cuts in my cellars so I guess I should be set for the winter.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

What do you guys like to listen to while playing?

In-game music is nice and all but gets old after a bit.

EDIT : So I decided to pick up the steam version and I'm very lost. The extended commands are gone as is the survival skills. How do I make a hole in ice now?

khy fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 12, 2016

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
It shows up under the fishing skill and maybe others. I think you can "A" apply a tool to ice as well

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
You can also just try to drink next to ice.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Playing this for the first time in a few years. Is it just me or do you have to eat a lot more than before?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Oh man, this game. I've been playing on and off for about 11 years now. Wonder if my lifetime license is still good.

Also, unless this has changed too, the forbidden flesh of man is still a valuable resource. As our beloved dogs can serve as an emergency food supply, the reverse is true as well, and will happily feast on the long pig.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

khy posted:

EDIT : So I decided to pick up the steam version and I'm very lost. The extended commands are gone as is the survival skills. How do I make a hole in ice now?

Timbercraft skill menu to cut branches / twigs from a tree
Fishing menu (or try to [q]uaff while near ice) to make a hole
[a]pply a container to fill/empty/milk an animal
[f] to make a fire
[u] to get up / go prone
[Z] to sleep
[M]ake building to build a shelter
[C]hat with people or command animals / followers

I think that's most of it, anything else you can find in the [?] help menu

Drunk in Space posted:

Playing this for the first time in a few years. Is it just me or do you have to eat a lot more than before?

Yes nutrition has been rebalanced a lot along the way.Try cooking special recipes, they tend to nourish more. Also smoked and dried stuff weighs a lot less so you can bring a few days supply easily as long as you have it and can process it.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh man, this game. I've been playing on and off for about 11 years now. Wonder if my lifetime license is still good.

Also, unless this has changed too, the forbidden flesh of man is still a valuable resource. As our beloved dogs can serve as an emergency food supply, the reverse is true as well, and will happily feast on the long pig.

Cannibalism is only an option if you're literally starving now, and your dog needs food now so feed him or he'll flee, eat your prey before you can skin it or even turn on you!

When the devs say "lifetime" they mean it, if you're a lifetimer just drop an email to Sami and they'll provide a free steam code for you, but since the game became donation-ware a while ago the official site has the usual complete, free version for download if you don't want to bother (link in the OP).

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 12, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

On a slightly darker note, as said I was bored out of my mind with my old uber exploity character. So I decided to rid the world of the Koivula race, ethnic cleansing at its finest (yes if you clear out villages the "cultural region" will disappear from the map and go back to no man's land).

Having a masterwork battlesword, 90% sword skill and full green/dark green armor against everything helps a lot in that regard; I already slaughtered 7 villages, the poor fuckers don't stand a chance coming at me with handaxes, knives and rocks as long as I stay inside a building where only 2-3 people can attack me at the same time (and away from windows, the single wound I received was from an arrow shot at me through one). The battlesword loving rocks, 1 hit in 3 causes bleeding wounds when it doesn't cut limbs in half straight away. Another 30 villages or so to go and there shall be no more Koivulaiset in my UnReal World.

Here are a few pics of the insanity:

:stonk:

:black101:

All hail the mighty, if a bit unhinged, Garthal Kaumolainen the terrible

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 12, 2016

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Iron Age hysterectomy. :barf:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

TorakFade posted:

Yes nutrition has been rebalanced a lot along the way.Try cooking special recipes, they tend to nourish more. Also smoked and dried stuff weighs a lot less so you can bring a few days supply easily as long as you have it and can process it.
This is most apparent at the start when your nutrition is average and you are normally running around like a maniac balancing lumberjacking with finding dinner. At that point you can house a pike. Once you start making sweet gains on your nutrition meter and start getting some leisure days away from the axe you can get days where you just go through a few cuts.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

More questions.

1) Is it worth setting up snares? Do you need fences to lure prey to the snares? What about bait?

I typically always stick to trap pits and pits with spikes for larger game, since 200-300 meat seems so much more reasonable than the 2 cuts you get from, like, a rabbit.

2) Likewise what's the best way to bait a fox/wolf trap? Does spoiled meat work for bait? What about cooked meat?

3) What trade goods do you guys like to use? I've been dragging logs to villages and splitting them into boards to trade with, but I'm sure there's better options. Pelts and furs I would imagine are primary trade goods?

4) Can you still eat snow to sate thirst?

5) Are cows just really rare now? I'm trying to build up a farm, got sheep and pigs but can't find a drat cow for sale. Also is animal breeding in the game yet?

Also, for some reason this image always makes me think of UrW

khy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 12, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

khy posted:

More questions.

1) Is it worth setting up snares? Do you need fences to lure prey to the snares? What about bait?

I typically always stick to trap pits and pits with spikes for larger game, since 200-300 meat seems so much more reasonable than the 2 cuts you get from, like, a rabbit.

2) Likewise what's the best way to bait a fox/wolf trap? Does spoiled meat work for bait? What about cooked meat?

3) What trade goods do you guys like to use? I've been dragging logs to villages and splitting them into boards to trade with, but I'm sure there's better options. Pelts and furs I would imagine are primary trade goods?

4) Can you still eat snow to sate thirst?

5) Are cows just really rare now? I'm trying to build up a farm, got sheep and pigs but can't find a drat cow for sale. Also is animal breeding in the game yet?

Also, for some reason this image always makes me think of UrW

1. Snares fall in with lever traps and deadfalls as opportunistic traps where its best to place them where you know somethings already in the neighborhood because you saw it. Hare furs sell pretty well for the amount of set up it takes to drop a snare and a turnip where you ran into one in the woods. Birds and berries are a good snare combination too, but I usually stick to levers for birds.

2. I've had luck with getting foxes and wolves from raw fish. I've never seen cooked or spoiled meat working.

3. Boards are the tedium of choice if you absolutely must have a tool or you'll die. Meat cuts are a great trade good if you are in the neighborhood during a kill to flog off roasted cuts before it spoils, or just have too much dry/smoked meat already. Furs are great, and the only trade good foreign traders will take, and they're the guys with the best chance of high grade weapons and armor (except for cultural weapons, need to get lucky with a village if you want one of those).

4. No

5. My last game you couldn't throw a stone without hitting a village with cows in both Driik and Koivu areas. No breeding yet.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
My cooking pot and all of my food was loaded onto my raft with the paddle. All the elk cuts from my first big kill for this character.

Then I accidentally set fire to it. :negative:

I can't even replace the paddle, all I have is a stone axe. A new cooking pot will mean trudging along for days because all the villagers in this area are filled with dirty poors.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 13, 2016

khy
Aug 15, 2005

God drat I wish that cultural items weren't so rare.

I made a loooooooooooong-rear end journey to Kaumo lands trying to get a Kaumolaiset spear only to search like 12 villages and not a single one had a spear. I tried looking at hunters/adventurers hoping to find one with a spear equipped to trade that way and couldn't find one.

khy fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 13, 2016

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I killed a couple of Njerpaz and got some lamellar armor and a bastard sword (!). I take it I need to wear the armor plus fur clothing and pitch the rest? Is there any way to practice weapon skills besides fighting? I'm much more comfortable going into battle with a spear (60s) than a sword (low 20s). What village will have enough food/animals/whatever for a bastard sword? It has to be worth a lot.

edit: also can spear attacks hit from two spaces away or anything like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Molybdenum posted:

I killed a couple of Njerpaz and got some lamellar armor and a bastard sword (!). I take it I need to wear the armor plus fur clothing and pitch the rest? Is there any way to practice weapon skills besides fighting? I'm much more comfortable going into battle with a spear (60s) than a sword (low 20s). What village will have enough food/animals/whatever for a bastard sword? It has to be worth a lot.

edit: also can spear attacks hit from two spaces away or anything like that?

Driik villages have the largest amount of stuff to trade, they're your best bet for selling off an item like that. This might be old but bastard swords used to be worth like 1000+ cuts of meat. So you can pretty much buy out most of a village with them.

Spears can only hit next to you, just like other melee weapons. They tend to have the best 'point' damage in the game, though, which is excellent for hunting, fighting animals, and fighting enemies wearing leather/hide/linen.

khy fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 13, 2016

• Locked thread