Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Android Blues

all right! i've placed the word machine under its protective mylar sheet, and turned the mains power off so that it doesn't cotton we're judging its output even at one degree of removal. it's time to vote!

we had a bumper crop of submissions, friends! some of them were thriving dandies, others, more in the "weed" area, but a lot of you sure tried hard to live up to the heavy onus placed upon you by receiving words. that said, let's line up the contestants:

quote:

"swamp gambler", alnilam, march 15th. words as title

"Stage Play Guide", Splatmaster, forum thread, march 15th. words as title...

"Filthy Shadows", Super Mario Batali, march 16th. WRD: "the awful of dirty handsome"

"F/S: creep detector, ALMOST NEW - $5 **'effortable'** l@@k", Heartbroken 2Twice, march 16th. WRD: "good effortable creep alert and trouble"

"wolfs can tell you", City of Glompton, march 16th. words as title!

"the United States of Elizabeth", Breakfast Dorito, march 19th. WRD: "i can hell in the United States of Elizabeth"

"standard rich lawyers are ruining america!!!!", Tusen Takk, march 19th. WRD: "standard rich lawyers"

"The Island of the Unforgotten Lost (a CYOA?)", Saint Isaias Boner, march 16th. WRD: "slept around her reaches off the slime flow"

"Brainstorming notes from work", Shakill Oreal, mixed media, march 16th. WRD: "the town-stallions of violent"

"The Deer's Warrant", Devil, march 22nd. WRD: "a deer's warrant"

"words from the threadmaker's ball thread", Captain Foo, march 22nd. WRD: "they are you, stunt bees"

and the hall of shame...

"I have my doubts", Doc Friday, march 18th. WRD: "the master's horoscope"

"large a feminine pause", Quidnose, march 17th. WRD: "large, a feminine pause"

once you've perused what's on offer, you can vote for your favourite here! i fully expect it to be a hotly contested race. :)

then, prizes! the winner gets their pick of two av certs, a platinum gift cert, or a steam gift at or under $12. to sweeten the pot, i'll draw them somethin too! wowie!

the first runner up gets to pick from one av cert, or a steam gift at or under $7. i'll draw something (simpler) for them as well! double wowie! as you can see, everything is on the line here, and grown humans would die for these prizes. with that very firmly established, go on and vote!

(anyone who was planning to make a thread but didn't yet, don't dissolve upon yourself in terror-struck grief! we'll be doing something different next week, but you'll still be able to use your allotted words if you like them :coffeepal:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

deep dish peat moss

I missed the deadline but here's mine
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3769449

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 23, 2016

Android Blues

i stuck your notes in as a poll option cuz they were really funny, so don't worry, you actually did kinda make it in

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm sorry I couldn't make it. I'm a terrible writer. :negative:

Yobgoblin fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 23, 2016

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Urodov

Android Blues posted:

something different next week

boy it's a good thing i didn't even begin to develop my idea

Ãèáåëü â ìîðñêîé âîëíå,                                                                                                спасибо, Слагнойд-кун!
èëè ñâîáîäó

devil

did i win?

MrWillsauce

yeah

Android Blues

you're in the lead, but i wanna make sure everyone gets a chance to vote before i call it. only 12 people have so far!

MrWillsauce

you should have called it after 1 vote

devil

Android Blues posted:

you're in the lead, but i wanna make sure everyone gets a chance to vote before i call it. only 12 people have so far!

that's all of the active posters

deep dish peat moss

Where did the extra 6 votes come from. Lurkers?is someone stacking the polls with posters from other forums. I want a recount

Robot Made of Meat

Shakill OReal posted:

Where did the extra 6 votes come from. Lurkers?is someone stacking the polls with posters from other forums. I want a recount

It looks to me like there's nothing stopping people from voting twice, or do they log IP addresses?

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Robot Made of Meat posted:

It looks to me like there's nothing stopping people from voting twice, or do they log IP addresses?

just tried to make a second vote and got an error message saying i already voted, we're in the clear

also a reminder that while 12 votes is fishy this is not the high-water mark for byob voter fraud as the inri match during the durfament a few years ago got almost 200 votes

FluffieDuckie

lurkers often vote in polls and rate threads. i like the think of it as passive posting

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Android Blues

alright friends, with 17 votes, it looks like we have a winner! "Devil", a late entrant, who surprised the agile minds and vote-happy fingers of BYOB with their poem about a messed up deer. love it!

but the excitement's not over yet! tied for second place are alnilam, with "swamp gambler", and Saint Isaias Boner, with "Island of the Unforgotten Lost". you know what that means? i think and hope you do! it means a tiebreaker vote to determine the runner-up! the stakes can't get any higher than this, except when they just did, for determining the winner previously, but forget about that. go and vote for your favourite of the two here!

in the meantime, devil, let me know what kinda prize you'd like, and let me know also what you'd like me to draw for you. :)

MrWillsauce

I wish swamp gambler had kept going instead of dying almost immediately, but I like the concept a lot and cyoas are old hat so I choose that. Island of the Forgotten Lost is p dope tho

Captain Foo

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

alnilam

MrWillsauce posted:

I wish swamp gambler had kept going instead of dying almost immediately, but I like the concept a lot and cyoas are old hat so I choose that. Island of the Forgotten Lost is p dope tho

It's not too late to continue the swamp gambler.....

Sorry i lost track of it and this contest but i went on a remote beach vacation in puerto rico. The words, they followed me, haunted me, they translated themselves to spanish to try to blend in but they didn't know i knew spanish so i was on to them. I think I've lost them. :ninja:

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

mine kind of tailed off but i figured you guys got the idea...

welp! i'm happy just to have participated

FluffieDuckie

byob 8.2: welp i'm just happy to have participated

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Piso Mojado

FluffieDuckie posted:

alnilam

FluffieDuckie posted:

City of Glompton

FluffieDuckie posted:

Captain Foo

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FluffieDuckie posted:

Android Blues

alright! looks like alnilam wins this round! i guess swamp gambler was a real dark horse...

please tell me what kind of prize you'd like, friend, and what i should draw for you as well!

alnilam

Wow i really don't know what to say! I'd like to thank all the people who made this possible, and much love to the 268

I'll take an av cert. and please draw me a rebellious pegasus, in honor of some cool horses i know who died recently :(

guns for tits

Even though I was among the few who got their threads gassed, I was glad I participated, at least.

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

Doc Friday posted:

Even though I was among the few who got their threads gassed, I was glad I participated, at least.

that's the spirit. it's always good to give things a go even if it's hard or you get your thread gassed.

hi how are you ♥

Quidthulhu

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

i'ma let you finish, but "Queen Elizabeth" was the one of the best threads of all time

OF ALL TIME

guns for tits

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

that's the spirit. it's always good to give things a go even if it's hard or you get your thread gassed.

Maybe soon I'll manage to get two threads gassed, you never know.

breakfast dorito

doritos form part of a healthy breakfast (in theory) and should not be used as a primary source of nutrition (you don't tell me how to live)

Quidnose posted:

i'ma let you finish, but "Queen Elizabeth" was the one of the best threads of all time

OF ALL TIME

thankyou friend i am glad you liked it

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

i think it was a good haul of interesting and funny threads and i regret not posting in more of them

Android Blues

you'll get 'em next time, doc friday

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i think it was a good haul of interesting and funny threads and i regret not posting in more of them

yeah, i wanted to post more in a bunch of them but there's just so little time in the day!

speaking of time and days, the next week's festivities are likely starting on monday. i have a busy weekend, and it'll be a nice round place for a week-long contest to run from :)

alnilam

Yore good android blues

Android Blues

thanks buddy :3:

guns for tits

Android Blues posted:

you'll get 'em next time, doc friday

Thanks, friend!

Android Blues

i've spent the weekend with the word machine on its back, tinkering around in its guts, my brow caked with machine oil and sweat. unfortunately that had very little effect and it was still extremely ornery, but then i found the manual the previous owner had left in the delivery box, and things cleared up a lot from there.

seems like my previous method of generating words was "inefficient", a "waste of time" and "really illegal"! huh! let me tell you ahead of time, this manual is a real big shot when it comes to passing snide judgement on the honest hard work of others. but i don't mind that - for the moment - because it did teach me how to activate choice mode. what's choice mode, you ask?

let me show you!

see? apparently the green font was a screen error caused by me spilling sprite (previous contents of the mug) down the back vents several times while trying to get it to eat the first dictionary. this is how the word machine is intended to be used!

here's how things are going to go down in the second leg of the contest. instead of being assigned some words, i'm going to flip us through the teletext pages of the choice mode screen. if you like what you see, call dibs! once you've bagged your favourite words, you can make a thread about them, and, as before, we'll all vote at the end of the week to decide our favourites!

prizes for this week will be...

1) first place! a $10 av cert (because i messed up and bought one last week), a platinum gift cert, or a steam gift at $12 or under. plus, you'll get a drawing from me!

2) second place! a $5 av cert or a steam gift at $7 or under. you get a drawing as well!

and, introducing, a special this week only exclusive courtesy of fluffieduckie...everyone who places in the top 5 gets a special, one of a kind* byob sticker! wowie! that's prizes for days! you know what i see when i read that? incentive to make some really excellent threads!

i hope to see great things from you, friends. let the dibs-ing...begin!

*stickers are actually many of a kind and easily available on the internet

MrWillsauce

dibs on tuberty

I'm only in it for the stickers, baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER

dibs on the Empire of Madden

• Locked thread