Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
The year is 608 AC and the Kingdom of Aventir is expanding. More than a century ago the nation threw off the bonds of its colonial masters in the Tevinr Empire and declared independence, fighting a bloody war that killed many on both sides. Now the Kingdom has pushed back the northern Cathus tribes, taking the vital pass of Sonkil through the Tarus mountains. You were instrumental in the war against the Cathus and as such Queen Annalise has granted the fife of Vladmirk to you. You have gone from the capital of Sonaspool to the frontier of the Kingdom, the grasslands just beyond Sonkil pass. On the cart ride over you had plenty of time to think back to how you ended up here, a Baron and newly minted noble of Aventir.

You are:
A)Male
B)Female

Your parents were:

1)Aventir: Your parents were from the heartland of the Aventir Kingdom, along the Bay of Aventir. Aventir usually had names that in our world would be Eastern European. They tend to be slightly tanned and have brown or black hair. The genders are equal in Aventir culture, a deliberate rebellion against the Tevir’s gender based caste system. You worship the Selix Pantheon, the main gods of Humanity.

2) Severin: Your parents were from the northern frontier of Aventir, along the base of the Tarus Mountains. They keep with Aventir naming conventions with some Dwarven influence. Severins tend to be slightly darker than Aventir, though not by much. You worship the Selix Pantheon, though syncretism with the Cathus gods is common in the far frontier.

3) Cathus: Your parents were members of a Cathus tribe who went south and settled within Aventir. The Cathus plains are made up mostly of steppe and the tribesmen are adept at riding Cicak, reptillian riding animals native to the plains. Cathus tend to be much darker than the Aventir, resembling South East Asians from our world and tend to have black hair. Their language is also based off that of South-Eastern Asia, with some influence from the Lizard empire of Lizssalfos to the north. Most Cathus tribes are matriarchal as women are considered the only ones who the Gods speak through. The Cathus worship the Reyna, the strange and powerful gods of the steppe.

4) Tevnir: Your parents fled the Iron Island for the relative freedom of Aventir. Tevnir has a very strict caste system separated by birth, gender and hair color. Tevnir tend to be very pale and have blond, black or red hair. Blond hair is considered high class, black lower and middle and redheads are exiled to the badlands to the north. Their language resembles English. The Tevnir worship the Selix panethon, in fact its main holy city is their capital, Hallows. Being a Tevnir in Aventir is hard despite it being a large minority, as there is still bad blood and high tensions between the two nations.

5) Al Kaish: Your parents came from the southern desert nation of Al Kaish.The Al Kaish tend to be darker than the Aventir, resembling Arabs. Their is based off Spanish and Arabic, though many also speak Orcish. Society in Al Kaish is based around the worship of Belagos, the Living God and Warrior of the Sun. He resides in Santanna, a great holy city deep within the desert. The Al Kaish are proud of their Living God and spread out across the world to bring news of him to others. They are a proud and loyal people, Aventir is currently a strong ally of theirs.

6) Kalisin Refugees: Kalisin was once a great nation of philosophers and inventors. However they woke a Dragon from its eternal slumber and their nation was burned to cinders in a night. Your parents were part of the great diaspora, eventually settling down in Aventir with other escapees. Kalisins are tall and very pale, paler than the Tevnir, and tend to have hair so blond it's almost white. Their language was a mixture of Greek and Inuit, but it is spoken less and less as they are absorbed into their new homes. They worshipped the Divine Principles, a strange faith based off venerating the known rules of the universe and attempting to find more.

7) Tarus Dwarven: Your parents were human workers and craftsmen in one of the Tarus Mountainhomes. The Dwarves are a strange and elusive people, preferring to keep within their high halls of stone. They take their language from German. Much of their craftsmanship is primitive compared to human or orcish make, but they are able to weave with the rock itself, making some of the most beautiful and protective garb in all the land. The Dwarves worship the Deep Ones, monstrous Gods who live in the dark below the surface. They are said to be horrible things served by mad creatures in the pitch black.

8 Verdt Elves: Your parents were human slaves who escaped from the barbaric Elven jungle. The Elves are a cruel and hateful race, born when their Gods exiled them from paradise. Ever since then the Elves have killed and conquered the other races, taking their rage out on the lesser beings. The Vedrt Elves live in the jungle nation of Har’evl, far across the sea. Their cities are beautiful, gossamer things, seemingly born of glass and pure light. However they are built on the blood and death of their slaves, who live in pits outside the city. To fit in with their overlords the slaves often name their children Elven names, vaguely Indian and Latin, and worship the same pantheon of distantly cruel gods they do.

9) Korrosh Orcs: Your parents were members of the Korrosh Federation who immigrated north. The Orcs are a proud and virtuous people, prone to republican ideals and deep study. Their goods are of amazing craftsmanship, well sought after in Aventir. They take their language from Chinese, though all tongues are spoken throughout the Federation. They worship either Belagos or the Selix, they once worshiped a violent god of War but they overthrew and killed him, becoming more than tools of slaughter.

During the war with the Cathus you proved your worth through:

!) War: A lowly footman, you helped hold the line against the tribal riders. Then, when you saw the Queen come under attack, you cut down three men to save her life.

@)Study: From the Academy of Haligrad you came, head full of numbers and lore. You knew when a War-Priestess was channeling the Gods, and how to properly feed a moving army. When you helped identify and disarm old Lizardmen ruins set to explode you were rewarded with a fief

#) Charisma: Your silver tongue serve you well hob-nobbing with the nobility, and it helped you during the war. Several chiefs joined the Aventir army after talking to you, and convinced many others to stay neutral during the conflict

$) Intrigue: Poison, a knife in the back, blackmail. These tools helped protect you in the slums of Sonaspool, and they crippled the Cathus armies. Gates were left open before sieges, food was poisoned and chieftains were killed on the eve of battle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Let's play a female Kalisin with skill in warcraft. Also, could we volunteer the character's name?

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Let's play a female Kalisin with skill in warcraft. Also, could we volunteer the character's name?

If you want/ its sticks to the naming conventions of that ethnicity. If there isn't a clear/ non-stupid winner I'll randomly generate a name.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I feel like voting for the second option for everything even though I'm not really sure what I'm voting for. This is a smart idea!

B, 2, @

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

A -Male
5) Al Kaish
# - Charisma

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Kalisin Refugee with # Charisma (no vote on sex)

Lets play a silver tongued poo poo stirrer.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

hollylolly posted:

A -Male
5) Al Kaish
# - Charisma

This

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

B-Female
5-Al Kaish
#-Charisma

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
5#, don't care about gender, just wanna aggressively spread the faith.

"Hello, friend! Have you heard the good word of Belagos, Slayer Of The Night, Bearer Of The Blades Of Sun, He Who Banishes Shadows And Brings Light To The Dark Places?"

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
B9@

These orcs sound interesting.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
B6#

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B,3,!

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
A, 6, #

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Voting closes when I get home tomorrow afternoon. If someone could count the votes before then that'd be very appreciated.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

A
$

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
6@

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

@

Let's be a studious Orc, because gently caress stereotypes.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Mr. Nemo posted:

@

Let's be a studious Orc, because gently caress stereotypes.

thirding this,

B-Female
9-Korrosh Orc
@-Study

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
B9@

Including my vote, logged up to Hexenritter:

A, male: 4
B, female: 9

2, Severin: 1
3, Cathus: 1
5, Al Kaish: 4
6, Kalisin: 6
9, Korrosh: 5

!, War: 2
@, Study: 7
#, Charisma: 7
$, Intrigue: 1

Charismatic/Studious Female Kalisin Refugee.

I propose the name Demetria.

EDIT: Updated up to Blasphemaster

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 26, 2016

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Putting forward the name Psykhe if we're Kalisin.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

B 9 @

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm liking Demetria but also proposing Kassandra if Kalisin.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
We need a tie breaker vote between Study and Charisma. Next post gets it.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

I'll switch from war to study

Toughy fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 27, 2016

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Years of hard work at the Academy of Haligrad have paid off. You are the new Baroness of Vladmirk . This is incredibly impressive for a Kalisin immigrant. Most Kalisin's live together in the hastily erected refugee quarters around the capital and other major cities. While the government is working hard to employ as many as they can, mostly to see if they can pass down the secrets of your homeland, it is a slow poverty and a good many of your people live in poverty. Your parents live in a two room shack in the slums, but hopefully they will move out here.

Out here is a lot better than the slums. On the edge of Aventir, the wild frontier. Your fief is situated in the Sonkil pass, a stretch of grass covered hills right before the endless steppe of Cathus. The land here is fertile and the hills rich in minerals, a flood of people arrive everyday to seek out their fortune. Your fief is located in a vale between hills. A village of only 20 people it is supported by farming and supports a small tavern, a Church of Davina and a few homesteads. Your ride bounces up and down as it makes its way on the foot path connecting the town to the rest of Aventir. As you get closer fields start to appear on the hills. Farmers look up from their work as they watch you pass by and birds sing from the rare tree. The sun beats down hot on this place, giving everything an air of lethargic peace. As you enter town square, just a space between the tavern and Church, a sweating man in a stiff suit waits. The doors open and your personal guard, a few guardsmen scrounged up from some backwater, open the door and help you out. The man stiffly walks forwards and presents you a box.

"I am Alexi Snovans, Magistrate and your Imperial Advisor. The Crown has sent me here to here to help guide your rule over the...salt of the earth living here. I wish attempting to prepare accommodations but noting suitable was found besides the master suite at the tavern, which will have to do for now. Before I forget let me present you your honorweapon and formally welcome you to Vladmirk."

Honorweapons are an Aventir tradition dating back to the Rebellion. They are presented to either the new ruler of any area or any the leader of any large band of armed men. During the Revolution it was started to help keep up weapon stockpiles, nowadays it is common and between high ranking nobility it can be a manner of some ceremony. While the gift is traditionally supposed to be secret you were asked beforehand what you should be given."

A: An Orcish longsword
B: A Mastercrafted Aventir bow
C: A malfunctioning Kalisin dueling pistol
D: A pair of Tevnir Rapiers
E: A Al Kalish Scimitar

Alexi leans forwards as he hands you the box with the honorweapon. "I must warn you, the, ahem, simple folk in this town are stubborn and used to ruling themselves. It may be prudent to talk to one of their leaders first before attempting to take power. The tavern keeper Dimitri, Alexander the priest of Davina and Akim, a powerful homesteader. Talking to one and neither of the others has its own problems, snubbing any of them will make your life difficult."

After this, who do you talk to:
1: Dimitri the Tavernkeeper
2: Alexander the Priest
-Divana is the Selix Goddess of Fertility, Growth and the Hunt. A traditonal sacrfrice involves hunting down either your prey and then burying it alive. Both animals and sentinets may be used in her rituals
3: Akim the Homesteader
4: Ignore them all, you are the Baroness!

He steps back and straightens himself out, dusting off his stupidly huge shoulder pads.
"Now, by the power vested in me by Queen Annalise and the Kingdom of Aventir I pronounce you Baroness Kassandra Amaruq of Vladmirk!"

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

E2

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

D2

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
C3

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
E3

A scimitar is a good weapon to pair with a pistol, as it's similar in style to a saber. Visiting the homesteader gets us a head start on seeing what farming methods they use, so we can improve on them. Nothing secures our rule among the locals quite like making them rich and fat.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

This.
E2

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A2 As a scholar, we appreciate the mastery of Orcish craftsmanship.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
C1.

If anyone'll get the malfunctioning Kalisin duelling pistol working again it'd be the Kalisin Scholar, right? And if anyone'll know what the people have on their minds - their hopes, their fears - it'd be the tavernkeeper... not to mention that if we make a good impression on him, he'll talk us up to his customers!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

E2

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

C3

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
C3

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

C3.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

C1.

If anyone'll get the malfunctioning Kalisin duelling pistol working again it'd be the Kalisin Scholar, right? And if anyone'll know what the people have on their minds - their hopes, their fears - it'd be the tavernkeeper... not to mention that if we make a good impression on him, he'll talk us up to his customers!

This guy gets it. Mirroring this vote.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
C1

We're going to be living in the tavern, at least for now - I'm sure greeting our gracious host first would be understood by the other people of importance. And we don't want them spitting in our breakfast. We can talk to the others later, I'm sure.

Edit: and our family name should be Muder.

Elfface fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 27, 2016

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

RandallODim posted:

just wanna aggressively spread the faith.

"Hello, friend! Have you heard the good word of Belagos, Slayer Of The Night, Bearer Of The Blades Of Sun, He Who Banishes Shadows And Brings Light To The Dark Places?"

I like this idea but vote male for purposes of contrarianism.

A5#

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
C1

Elfface posted:

Edit: and our family name should be Muder.

• Locked thread