Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Fun Fact: The Chocobo Porter does have a use.

The areas in ARR only have 1 Aetherite per zone. Meaning, that for very large zones, things can be a bit... awkwardly spaced. In two particular zones Coerthas Central Highlands and North Shroud you have to be traveling to towns distant from the Aetherite very frequently. So, the Chocobo Porter is a great, cheap, and lazy way to get to those towns.

As far as the GLD quests... I would say they do a rather poor job of teaching the player to tank, especially when compared to the other starting tank's quests, that often put you with an actual healer you need to protect plus rocks you need to break.. If you play just as GLD as a newbie, it can give you the idea that you're actually a DPS job, given that every quest has NPCs tanking for you. Though, to be fair, in my very first dungeon run, our tank (MRD), didn't realize she was a Tank until 2/3 through, because you really don't get any abilities that scream TANK! as a MRD until much higher level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

JDRockefeller posted:

Lalafells are the best, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

You are adorable in everything you do. It is especially fun to help someone with a duty that has cutscenes that feature the party, where I can wear ridiculous seasonal outfits.

On a serious note, there is are so few statistical differences between races and gender, you can just make whatever you want.

There is one very niche situation where race actually matters. And that's for 60 Black Mage. Dunesfolk Lalafell have the highest Piety stat, so they have the biggest MP pool, which lets them do a slightly different opening Rotation compared to other races. Other than that? It doesn't mean jack squat.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Charlett posted:

There's actually tons you can do without chocobos, and, best part, you can start getting on your way to breeding chocobos *now*. Gold Saucer can trap players from level 15 onward!

Yup. I remember on the Subreddit some guy got Fenrir (which is one of the two most expensive items in the Gold Saucer, at 1,000,000 MGP, tied with a certain spikey-haired Triple Triad Card I still need), and he hadn't even gotten to 25 yet.

Edit: Rather than double post, I'm gonna put a bit of my $.02 about the Gold Saucer while it's fresh in my mind.

The Gold Saucer is pretty fun and also provides a couple examples of how... unfun the community can be. The Gold Saucer, with one game in particular, I often see reviled because... it provides 0 benefit to you as a Raider. The area is 110% optional, and is meant to be a fun diversion, which is very important in an MMO. Unfortunately, there is a vocal portion of the community that will hate anything to do with the Gold Saucer (and oftentimes events. The Announcement of the Yo-Kai Watch! event has spawned hilarious amounts of salt) because it doesn't help gear people up, and gets in the way of developing the 'right' content for the game (read: Raids). The argument, with Lords of Verminion held up as the gold standard for this (is that a pun?), is that any content that is not raid content directly harms the game because it takes away from raid content. How? Because the developers who were wasting their time making minigames to keep players interested in the game could have instead been developing the next wing of the current raid content. Which isn't really the case since they are different departments, so to speak. The presence of one doesn't make the other worse.

The other problem though, is the community essentially cheating in the Tournaments for Triple Triad and Lord of Verminion. These tournaments are point-based. Beat someone, or lose to someone, and you get points. Highest points at the end of the week wins. It is sadly a very common practice for people to 'cheat', by win-trading. Which is how you get the ridiculous number of points the winners get. Now, even then participation is still good. Even if you grind all 45 of your tournament matches against an NPC, you're still walking away with nice prizes. Just not the guaranteed Platinum card that you get for getting in the top 3.

All this said: The Gold Saucer is very good for the health of the game. Despite what the nay-sayers will claim, you need some level of non-raid, non-dungeon content in your MMO to keep players interested month to month. It's one of the reasons World of Warcraft introduced Battle Pets. It's so that you, as a player, don't run into the 'Well, I'm fully geared. No need to do dungeons. Not raiding tonight. Sooo... why bother playing the game right now?' as often. You can always go to the Gold Saucer, or participate in this month's Event, and kill time, enjoy yourself, and be more likely to keep that subscription coming in.

I could honestly probably get more detailed about the Gold Saucer and such, but I feel like I've already stepped on Crash's toes a bit too much right now. :sweatdrop:

SkyTalon2314 fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Aug 14, 2016

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

TiamosLoren posted:

My main character is a jack-of-all, so a lot of things irk me when it comes to parties. DPS going off and beating (and getting beaten) because they rushed off ahead or decided to try and solo a guy and/or pulled 2 more, healers getting into the habit of damage > healing in priorities (and some not even doing the healing job themselves), or even tanks who just cannot tank to save their life - never Flash, never Overpower, never draw attention to themselves. Chances are then, they are the ones complaining when things go wrong, mess up or they keep dying over and over and have to pay SO MUCH GIL (not really though) to get their equipment repaired because they ate dirt so often. And all this because they do not play their roles properly.

Funnily enough, the healer was the culprit of most of the above just in that update, so either they're normally running DPS as a main and completely skipped the education on how to heal, or they're just outright incompetent. I mean, it cannot be that hard to focus on the tank and hit one button that says "Cure".

It doesn't help that there is a Meta right now where healers are expected to put out as much DPS as humanly possible. Go to the subreddit, for instance, and you get healers getting into a circle jerk about how low health they'll let their tanks get before deciding they deserve a heal. Or tanks who if a healer actually doesn't DPS, they'll stop using abilities other than Flash. Because clearly if the healer isn't putting 110% into their job, then why should the tank?

The level of entitlement is appalling, to be honest. While, yes, FFXIV is one of the easier MMOs to heal, it is still a sucky place for healers who have to not only micromanage the party's health, but also try to output as much damage as they can. And honestly? Not everyone's up to it, not everyone's always in the mood to. The entitled people talk about how much time a healer DPSing can bring. About 5m off the completion time of a 30m dungeon. Healer DPS should be thought of as a treat, a sign you have a good, energetic healer and a competent tank who doesn't die 5 seconds into the trash pull.

I honestly supported Square Enix taking Accuracy off of healing gear to try and stamp down this community-required meta. Though, a problem was that at the time of doing this, one of the two dungeons they released required (or at least really encouraged) healers to help out DPSing down mechanics in the bosses, leading to an outcry and nerfing of dungeon accuracy requirements. To be fair, bosses in 4-man dungeons are rarely that healing intensive, it's the trash pulls that are lethal to tanks, usually. And I would absolutely support Bane, Holy, and Gravity being removed or reworked to not be AOE skills so that healers aren't being pressured into doing something they're not really supposed to.

Of course, I've also been on the reverse of this. As a Scholar, a class that is highly overpowered right now, to the point where I don't need to push buttons to heal decently, I got a tank who's first words to me where, "Cawti. Don't DPS. Just heal." So I did. Because I had nothing to do during boss fights because of this, I just used /sit next to the tank. At the end of the dungeon he told me off for "tanking <him> so literally." I am not sure how else to interpret "Don't DPS, just heal."

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Obligatum VII posted:

The amount of difference a healer that puts in the time to stance dance can make when the DPS are garbage, which is very often, becomes considerably more than 5 minutes (not that I'd really scoff at 5 minutes. That adds up over time). The game would also have to have considerable paradigm shift for doing nothing but healing to not be mind numbingly boring at present.

Also, the only time I've ever seen someone whine about DPSing as a healer (either in favor of or against) was a ninja who apparently was so deathly opposed to healers doing DPS that they proceeded to get naked and equip a low level weapon and then promptly get kicked from the group and be replaced in seconds. I really don't know what they were expecting to happen. All in all, FF14 has a pretty passive population though, you have to be some truly heinous garbage to be called out as any role. "Honest Healers" do get quietly judged though, and rightly so, since it's downright lazy. Some basic stance dancing isn't exactly onerous to pull off and no one is expecting top tier perfect DPS out of a duty finder healer.

Eh. I've never in my experience healer-DPSing felt like it was shaving off that much time. To be fair, also, I don't use parsers and the like, so I don't know how often I'm getting garbage DPS, but it feels rare to me. Might be because I'm on the Primal Datacenter, I don't know. All I know is on average I'm finishing a run at the 25m mark or so. Only times that I go under that is if I get some ridiculous AOE team like two Summoners and a Scholar. I do agree that the game needs a paradigm shift to make pure healing less boring. In fact, the latest 24m raid I found when I was doing it, even with a premade, something I had to pay attention and heal, not zone out and mash Malefic II ad infinitum which is just as boring. Okay, I have my cards, so every 30s I am doing something remotely interesting if I have to DPS.

The game needs a paradigm shift I think. They need to stop half-assing it on Healer DPS. Either find a way to cut it out, preferably like with the second 24m where the entire group is taking damage, and enough that it's not practical for a healer to sit in Cleric Stance. FFXIV's gear sync on dungeons should help with that too, as well as continuing to not put Accuracy on healer gear. The other option is to go whole hog into it, and make Healer DPS a feature. The best way to do that would be to have damage spells that are weaker than normal DPS spells but come with benefits. An example off the top of my head comes from another MMO, where there is a Healer-DPS class who has a spell that can be spammed for light damage and blocks the next X amount of damage the target deals, stacking with itself.

Though, don't get me wrong. I may hate Healing and DPSing at the same time in FFXIV, but I'll still do it. Because one, it is moderately less boring than sitting there doing nothing, and two because I care way too much about what other people think of me.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

TiamosLoren posted:

One of the big issues that I have noticed in my years of MMO's (be it WoW, FFXIV...hell, even F2P crap that seems to still get churned out to this day) is that the 'veterans' often expect everyone to know what they are doing and refuse to settle for anything less, which then causes the problems of stagnating growth in the end-game because newbies are being driven out by others throwing insults at the "n00bz" who would probably want to learn how to play, but when the experience is 'some asshat on the internet' dictating to you how you're bad without trying to help improve on that, wanting to play further is really not in said newbie's interests. I would like to say that it's rare, but...given a recent run of this very dungeon yesterday on another character where this sort of thing happened, it's not rare enough, and the rarity gets even less the further in you manage to get to.

Very much this. FF14 does help with this a little bit, with Newbie Bonuses. When you're grinding end-game currencies, seeing that Newbie Bonus is like a ray of sunshine.

On the other hand, for people who are trying to do end-game content with Pick Up Groups (PUGs), that message is an anathema. No one wants newbies in raids at end-game, and the fact that the game near-forces players to at least try with their Newbies helps; you can't kick people until 5 minutes after the Duty begins, and can't Vote Abandon for 15. The dark side of course, is one of your tanks seeing the Newbie Bonus, and either dropping group immediately, forcing the party to wait for a new one, or worse sitting down and demanding the party kicks him once the five minutes are up, so he doesn't eat the 30 minute Abandon Penalty.

In premade groups of strangers for the end-game content, though, if you are in at least the North American data centers and not hopping on the Learning Party train the first couple days a major patch hits... you may have to wait a long time to see the content completed. After the first week or so, Learning Parties tend to poof into the aether, and no one is willing to take a newbie anymore. It is all Farm content now. Apparently over on the JP servers, the Learning Parties are still strong even weeks into the patch, but there are... other issues over there with server-wide blacklists for terrible and ignorant players.

In the end it can be very disheartening. Though FFXIV has a saving grace in that this is only for the Extreme versions of the content, and most anyone can do the Normal versions to at least see the fights and listen to the amazing music. (Seriously, almost every Trial theme but one or two is freaking amazing)

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

I can definitely see where they were going with the early MSQ dungeons. Obviously you want to low-ball any dungeon that is required for progression to some degree. I think all of us veterans can think of a very particular, infuriating Trial in 2.55 that had to be nerfed because of how difficult it could be for 'casuals'. I still see people lamenting that decision, as well as the decision to nerf/adjust some of the ARR dungeons as well. I believe the next one Crash has coming up has a few quality of life adjustments done to its second fight.

On the other side of the coin, there is legitimacy in wanting content that has some teeth to newbies so that they can learn. How well one dungeon does is versus another is something I'll leave to the philosophers. I am glad that YoshiP and the team have made a game that is more or less newbie friendly in that regard, though. This game doesn't assume you've played an MMO before on many levels. I recall introducing my friends to Guild Wars 2 after it went F2Pish and them getting annoyed and confused at how to work with the game. Because of this newbie/casual friendly atmosphere, I would also say a lot of the more hardcore, 'gamer', whathaveyou crowd should learn to understand that not everyone's playing to their level. Hell, I've been called out as trash-tier because I can't memorize the order of every attack of every single raid boss in the game, and need my raid leader to call out what attack is coming up.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

For what it's worth, of the 9 Classes, I think Limsa gets the best ones of them all, story-wise. The ACN, MRD, and ROG are all amazing in their own ways, and are probably some of the best side stories in the game. Rogue in particular had me rushing to get the next 5 levels to unlock the next leg because I was enjoying the story so much!

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Obligatum VII posted:

I'd like to see those creepy bots parodied at some point with a set of identical looking THMs that all spoke in unison. And maybe tried to sell you things.

They're all standing at the end of a hall way. "Come buy from us, Warrior of Light. Then we can play forever, and ever, and ever."

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Silegna posted:

In an interview, Yoshi-P said he made the classes a bit TOO complicated in Heavensward, which led to balancing issues.
(I will never get over what he did to my main).

He said if they had just added a few things, and not touched the ARR Rotations, it would have been easier to balance.

Pretty much. Black Mage is a hot mess right now. Even a tiny bit of movement at the wrong time can completely screw over the class's rotation.

Monk and Ninja I think were 'okay' coming into Heavensward as they mostly got utility/oGCDs, or just quality of life things.

Dragoon... is a bit messy, yeah. It suffers from some of the same issues as Black Mage, just to a lesser degree.

Summoner I think is in a much better place than before, with the balancing of Aetherflow/Trail.

Bard... is a hot mess because of one skill. It's a weapon skill not on the global cooldown. It's a oGCD that has a cast time. This is so incredibly frustrating to weave in properly.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

apostateCourier posted:

I main dragoon, and I actually really like the Blood of the Dragon system they implemented in Heavensward. Yes, it forces me to pay a bunch more attention, but it has an interesting feel to it and I feel it adds a great deal to the class. That, and the party wide +crit buff is fantastic. More when we get there, several ages from now.

Oh yeah, I love it too. It's done much better than Enochian from Black Mage. The fact that you can constantly refresh it, and it becomes a thinking man's thing of 'Can I afford to spend 10s of its duration on Geirskogul?'

It's just, it can be a bit messy at times depending on what the fight does. In general a lot of this expansion seems to hate on buffs like BotD, Enochian, and Greased Lightning.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

A couple fun notes:

All DoTs and Heal Over Times (HoTs) will do their damage/healing (tick) at the same time for everyone. This is also, I believe the same time that HP and MP bars will refill, and is often called a Server Tick. What this also ends up meaning is that when your DoTs as an Arcanist deal their damage, it appears as one unified number, rather than three to four at once, which can be a little confusing at first.

Also, I like K'lyhia. :colbert: Then again, I like most of the characters for the classes, other than Leatherworking, and someone much, much further down the line.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

HenryEx posted:

I hope you don't mean the leatherworking guild master, because drat, is it ever a breath of fresh air to not get fellated on your incredible skill in every class quest from 1 all the way to 50.

The other extreme, isn't exactly better, though I understand the sentiment. I think it was the level... 10 quest that made me want to punch her out. She's very much like how Gordon Ramsey is edited for US TV, just without the screaming. As I recall, she's basically nothing but constant insults until around the 30-35 mark, and it's mostly not because of your skill that she stops.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

I had no idea this game had constellations in the sky. This game is amazing. There's always something tucked away in the corners. I mean, granted the sky is hardly a secret, but I've never looked up there.

In fact, in a later Job's storyline, the constellations are actually explained and such. It's really nice.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

There's even more to it than that, but I don't want to go full sperg. The writing team put a lot of effort into naming conventions for every race and clan.

Which is something I enjoy fully.

Even if when I was making my character I didn't realize that the 'name randomizer' uses that.

So, I changed my character's first name to something else, because I didn't understand that 'Lunene Lune' is a legit Plainsfolk Lalafell name. So, in my head my character has that as her birth name, and just goes by Cawti Lune because it's a bit easier on non-lalafell tongues.

On an earlier note: I cheered when they introduced the TP bars to the Party List. You don't need the numbers there, since everyone has 1,000 TP, so it's relatively easy to eyeball. It's great because two classes have abilities that regen TP, so being able to actually see those bars is a godsend. If you want to really stun those heavy AoE players, be one of those two classes and actually give them the TP restorers without them asking. Easy commendations.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

I realize seeing this update that Aggro Crag is actually a very Roegadyn name, specifically Hellsguard (Which I believe Aggro is, judging by her skin colour).

Hellsguard Roegadyn, which are pretty much all Roegadyn off of Vylbrand tend to use Adjective-Noun names that are nature based. Males tend towards animals/minerals, while females tend towards plantlife, but these are not hard rules.

Of course, this is actually a translation of their actual names from the Old Language that their names (including Sea Wolves) are taken from. It's just generally Sea Wolves don't use the translation. As before, there are exceptions either way; you'll see Sea Wolves with translated names, and Hellsguard with untranslated names. Hellsguard also tend to not use their family name, which is why they are just the Adjective-Noun, vs the Sea Wolves using Adjective-Noun Adjective-Noun-relationshiptofather technically.

So, Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn breaks down to Sea + Woman, Blue + Fish + Daughter. So, Sea Woman, daughter of Blue Fish.

The more you know! :eng101:

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Blob boss is the worst fight in the entire game. If everyone knows what to do, it's a boring time sink. If anyone doesn't know what to do, it's a frustrating, boring time sink. I once got stuck in there for over 10 minutes because someone kept killing the bombs, and obviously wasn't paying attention to party chat. Either they were an idiot or a troll, but it was not a fun experience regardless. Maybe it's a neat idea in concept, but in execution it's just terrible.

Made especially worse earlier in the game.

See, a relatively recent patch when through a lot of the older dungeons and tweaked them, this boss in particular being one of them. These days there's a giant pop up in the middle of your screen to explain the fight, and now the bomb has a -lot- more HP. Before, a non-GLA could risk killing the bomb just trying to get aggro on it, as both of the other tanks do damage with their AoE generator, and may not have Flash cross-classed.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

TiamosLoren posted:

Uhm...Leatherworker? Forgive my confusion here, but...wouldn't working with metals be more suited to a Gladiator? Unless you're just looking to make mad bank off some of the skins, in which case go right ahead.

It's mostly due to the storyline for Leatherworker.

But I feel Culinarian, and Armorsmith have the best storylines of the eight Disciples of the Hand. Though I have a distinct fondness for the leader of the Goldsmith's Guild and her, uh, assistant.

Also, Weaver is just... fun. It honestly is. And I hope Crash uses at least GIFs for that one, at least the very end of each quest you do as part of the storyline.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Sylphosaurus posted:

As someone who plays these kind of games to mostly play pretty princess dressup with his characters I have to say that Freddie's new getup is quite an upgrade in looks.

Glamour is the true endgame of FFXIV. I might have a thing about redoing my apartment/glamour every so often to change my looks. I might also have an album on imgur to shove into my friends' faces.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

HenryEx posted:

Culinarian and Botanist, so we see a little bit more of the other cities (also Culinarian story is good)

Agreed here.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

I'll say Miner and Culinarian, why not.

So is there a way to convert normal quality gear into high quality? Otherwise, what's the point in having a toggle that shows you the HQ stats if the item isn't HQ? Just to taunt you with what you don't have?

Culinarian works best with Botanist, sadly.

Also, no. You can go HQ -> NQ, but not the other way. The point is for tooltips when crafting. Before, if I wanted to make a Supramax Potion of Intellect, I could only see the stats for a Normal Quality one, and not a High Quality. With the change to let me see the HQ stats, I can now better gauge and compare the items I craft (including gear) without having to go to external sites to see the stats.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Ah, CUL, honestly my favorite profession, and possibly one of the most consistently useful. If I had to make a complaint, it's just that at end-game, much of the vendor-only materials don't come in HQ formats, making it much more of a pain in the rear end to make HQ goods, compared to the other classes which do get purchasable HQ versions.

For those who don't care about spoilers the blog Eorzean Eats is a blog attempting to craft all of the recipes in the game (while also going to Law School, so updates can be sparse).

Honestly, I enjoy the food items in this game because they are, for the most part, actual recipes that you can make! All with descriptions that sound delicious~ :allears:

Also what's neat is that since each secondary stat + Piety gets a food catered to it, including the stats for Disciplines of the Hand and Land, there are different 'families' of meals. For instance, all the Piety giving foods are actually drinks, like Orange Juice, or even Eggnog!

As far as animations go too, there's actually a few for each class, covering different skills. One that Crash is going to unlock soon can have a slightly distinct animation compared to similar skills. And it can also look amusing too. Another thing that you don't get in .gif format is that the sound effects for crafting can be modulated. This is most apparent in metal-working classes.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Ah yes, BTN and FSH. I haven't completed all the FSH quests yet. There's a set at level 50 off the main FSH storypath that requires particularly rare fish. See, there's more to finding fish than just being in the right location. Time of day, weather, and even previous weather can all factor in. The fish needed for that quest require a certain combination of weather for each one, and other things that Crash hasn't gotten yet.

Granted, some of those parts have gotten a lot easier with the new Skywatcher NPCs, and even the stuff you get post-50. It mostly still just comes down to a matter of sitting around hoping for the right window. Then hoping for RNGeesus to be in your favor.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

re: Triangulate and Prospect. The reason they're Skills is so that in theory... you could equip them to other classes as cross-class skills. Mostly I guess for the other major gathering class? I have no idea to be honest. It's VERY silly, but there are things worth cross-classing between BTN and MIN.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

RikkidoSeph posted:

I did a dungeon once were the tank had prospect on still makes me laugh when i think about it.

Depending on what class he was, there just might not have been anything worthwhile to put there, to be honest, so I can see a tank doing that for the hell of it.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Obligatum VII posted:

I believe you meant to say that Tataru is the best character.

Agreed. Not only is she adorable, she goes through probably the most character development of all the Scions for the longest time. Which is remarkable for a largely background character.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

As far as the Heavensward update to the Voice Actors go: One of the things you'll notice as we move through the patches when Aggro hits 50 is that the Lalafell females will become less and less 'squeaky' and start sounding more like actual people. I clicked the video just to hear Tataru again and it's just... wow. There's another recurring Lalafell female who has a voice actress coming up later, I believe, and she sounds really bad now, btu by the time she's speaking in Heavensward, sounds like an actual adult.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Elentor posted:

I've never ever thought of Minfilia as anything remotely close to the definition of "friend" to my character.

Her relation to you is more akin to a boss who takes credit for your work.

Edit: Even Square jokes about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuELXU0OEs4

That video does contain a few very minor spoilers about some characters, nothing major though, I'd say.

Also, We sadly don't get to see the Scions be this bad-rear end for a long time. It'll be quite some time before the Scions really get involved with fights.

Though on a slightly different topic, To me it's interesting that the Scion who is the most useless (Minfillia), never grows out of this. She never shows anything that she brings uniquely to the table. This is made more clear with the end of the 3.4 MSQ. On the other hand, the character that feels she herself is the most useless and tries to fix that (Tataru) is arguably the most important member of the Scions, second only to the PC, and is constantly proving her value.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, do Culinarian, and continue your quest to become an Iron Chef.

Thirded here. Culinarian is great.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Yay Materia. Something that has traditionally been near-useless for combat classes.

Why? Because up until patch 3.4 (maybe 3.2), I want to say, the only gear that had Materia Slots was Crafted Gear, which was almost always flat-out worse in stats than the gear you get out of End Game content. A notable exception before this was at the end of ARR, where the Crafted Gear stat-wise was about on par, but the Materia Melded lead to the gear being better than what you could get from Raiding. This lead to the first generation of Heavensward Crafted Gear not only being an utter nightmare to craft, but also being horrifically inferior to even dungeon drops.

Eventually, though, End Game gear would get it's own Materia Slots, Grade V Materia becomes easier to obtain, and while Crafted Gear is still slightly behind the curve (as Yoshi P doesn't like the idea of a player just flat-out buying Best In Slot), it still has a powerful advantage that Crash hasn't unlocked yet.

Also, of amusing note: The DoH class we chose for Crash is the only one that cannot Materia Meld, as Culinarian makes nothing but consumables. Even Alchemy can at least learn to meld because it crafts weapons for (inevitably) every class.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Difficulty is how much progress you need to make with synthesis abilities to complete the synth.

It's still a mostly pointless piece of information though, unless you're doing spreadsheet-level stuff.

How much progress you get per Synthesis varies on the level of the project. So, unless you have the formulas memorized, having it on the menu doesn't help. And 99% of players, aren't going to have that, so it's just pointless information cluttering up the screen.

On the other hand, the Quality entry there IS useful, because different HQ items in a recipe contribute different amounts of Quality when starting out, and having a way to see that helps. It also tells you sometimes just how pointless a HQ ingredient is.

"Here you go, Cawti. Here's some HQ Table Salt. How much Quality does that give you?"
"Eleven."
"And how much Quality does the project need?"
"Eleven. Thousand. I need Eleven Thousand. This gives me Eleven."

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Ah, Primal Judgement. It's so... okay. Trust me, if there's one thing this game does amazing, it's the music. Just wait until a bit later, there is a ROCKING track coming up soon. It wins over this one in a landslide.

Also, not sure if Crash mentioned this, but Ifrit is a sort of new kind of content. Kind of.

Ifrit is what's called a "Trial". Trials are mini-mini-dungeons. No trash, just you, your party, and the boss. Most are 8-man content, but we won't be getting to those until much, much later, and a great deal of them are End-Game content, or at least were End-Game during their prime.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

This is why I say this game has more in common with WRPGs than JRPGs. It's a lot more mature and dark without being needlessly so like DA is. Yeah our heroes kill the Tempered, but they really have to. Not every Primal is Bahamut but they're still bad news.

Yeah, which has caused some issues. Apparently the JP audience has a tendency to just skip through all of the game's plot. Things are only going to get obtuse from here on out, and apparently the JP audience doesn't appreciate that. They want more straightforward stories, but the game's lead doesn't want to do that. I, for one, applaud that. I'd say XIV has overall the best story of any MMO I've played to date. Hell, of any game period to date. The ARR story has a lot of rough edges, but things get so much better in Heavensward.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

The exact effects of tempering vary depending on the Primal and the followers and this will be a fun topic to go back to once this LP reaches the end of the 2.0 main story, but by and large the type of fanaticism that Tempering instills isn't subtle.

Indeed. Some of it you can only really recognize in hindsight with some knowledge about Primals (that we arguably already have, just not pieced together in front of us yet). A lot of this game has moments of looking back and going, "Oh.. OH Ohhhh... okay, now that makes sense."

But then, I absolutely adore the worldbuilding/cosmology/whatever category you want to put Primals in. I could probably go on long, tangents about it, but none of it is relevant (yet).

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

vdate posted:

No loving kidding. What the hell, game?!

Although I guess when you think about it, executing those tempered soldiers wasn't a whole lot less dark. This is just a lot more...personal, somehow? More immediate, if that makes any sense.

The game is pretty comfortable with dancing around rape like this. Hell, a few times they are far more blatant about it, but usually that's in Class Quests we aren't getting to. Primarily you see this kind of thing in Limsa and Ul'dah. Pirates who don't follow the Admiral sometimes deal with human trafficking, which is a big major No-No and puts you on the top of Limsa's "secret police's" poo poo list. In Ul'dah it's more of a situation of... "Well. You owed me 100 gil, but with interest that's now 500 gil. Oh? Don't have the coin? Well... there's another way you can pay it back..."

That said, I do enjoy how each of the City States has their own wealth of issues and problems, but also their good sides as well. Some are more lopsided than others, but it makes for a more interesting world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

I ended up getting plot 59 on Excalibur, which is one of the bigger Legacy servers. I also have easy access to one of the secret hot springs, and have already made my yard all nice.

Meanwhile my FC decided to not move, because as it turns out, the Goblet's redesign is awesome, and our FC house is literally right in front of the Brimming Heart. Probably some of the best real estate in the game, period.