Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Also a goon who is a fairly well-credentialed muay thai instructor worked with him for a camp and he paid him in Team Punishment t-shirts.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

team overhead smash posted:

What was with Mark Hunt's plan of slowly walking towards Brock and then not punching him? I mean I get he has to be wary of a takedown and keeping his distance allows Mark to block or avoid some takedown attempts, but that doesn't really seem to matter if he has no offence and Brock was still managing to take him down and then pound on him a good percent of the time. Brock was almost never committing to anything more than little jabs or an occasional leg kick so that doesn't seem to leave an opportunity for effective counter punching. Hunt just seemed to be staying outside of punching range but within Brock's takedown range which seems to be to be a bad plan. Maybe punching would have been a better plan?

Only Mark Hunt and/or his coaches really know what his plan was, but it looked to me like the idea was to slowly move forward without throwing strikes with the idea that either Brock would get backed into the cage where Hunt could unload, or he'd have to shoot while Mark had both hands ready to clip him with something. Which is more or less what Brock did, but it turns out that he's still impossibly fast for a guy his size so Mark didn't manage to hit him with anything cleanly enough off the shots.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Street Horrrsing posted:

When jon tested positive for coke, the NSAC released the medical results for both Jones and DC, where it turned out both of them had the testosterone levels of prepubescent boys. Was that fishy or not? I honestly don't know.

Nope.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
UFC 1 also set the long-standing precedent in MMA of announcers not having any idea what they're seeing

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

team overhead smash posted:

Also interesting is UFC 4 where one guy just whales at his opponent with half a dozen dick shots in a row because low blows weren't against the rules at that point.

Since the guy getting whaled on was Joe Son, we can declare it preemptive surrogate vengeance and give Keith Hackney an award

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

manyak posted:

i always point out even though he just looks like a skinny dude next to Tuli, Gordeau actually is 6'5 and 210 lbs and a pretty decent kickboxer especially for that time. Hes also a dirty SOB who bit Gracies face and arm in their fight and later eye gouged the poo poo out of a tiny japanese guy he fought and blinded him permanently

The guy he blinded (in one eye) was Yuki Nakai, who not only won that match (heelhooked Gordeau) he then went on to win his next match in the tournament and lose to Rickson Gracie in the finals. He then proceeded to keep the fact that he'd been partially blinded secret for years because he feared that it would damage the image of mma as a legitimate sport.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bluedeanie posted:

MMA as we understand it today really began to form in 1993, when pay-per-view broadcasting pioneer SEG aired an eight-man “no holds barred” one-night fighting tournament called The Ultimate Fighting Championship, which really was not all that dissimilar to the LeBell-Savage stunt.

As a piece of trivia - this is broadly true, but Shooto was actually putting on professional mixed rules striking-grappling shows as early as 1989. While you could point to that as the beginning of mma as we know it, it's largely academic as you are unlikely to ever talk to anyone who's actually seen early Shooto, unless the yellow brick road leads you past Joe Silva's house.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

can someone give me a brief (or not-so-brief, if you're so inclined) history of joe silva / sean shelby? i've heard bits and pieces about joe and he fascinates me insofar as he's a way bigger fan of this than i can ever be but i know loving nothing about sean shelby and they have both gotten insanely good at their jobs.

Joe Silva was a wrestling fan who got keyed into Pancrase even before the UFC. He started watching UFC with the first show because Shamrock was in it, and instantly became a fan of MMA. He got in on watching the early Japanese Shooto stuff through tape trading and may very well have seen more mma than anyone else on the planet. he got hired as matchmaker by SEG (iirc, because he was writing them letters complaining about matchups/recommending fighters from other feds) and I think was the only employee that Zuffa kept when they bought them out.

I don' tknow nearly as much about Sean Shelby; he was the matchmaker for WEC (and did an obvjectively fantastic job) and when Zuffa folded in the WEC they wisely kept him on to matchmake for the lower weight classes.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

This thread should have some cool videos and I was just rewatching this which is one of my alltime faves, courtesy (I think) of Lobstermobster

https://vid.me/cBKc

That vid is also a really good example of something I mentioned just recently, which is that because he has the image of a bloodthirsty brawler, Lawler's defense is really underrated. Here he's fighting Condit, who's an incredibly accurate striker who throws an enormous volume of strikes, and check out all the slow-mo sequences - watch how many times he's landing on Condit and just barely getting missed, or just grazed, because he's taking his head just slightly off-line or rolling the shoulder or making just a slight fadeway. Even when he goes into berserk mode, Lawler is doing some very easy-to-miss technical stuff.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

Yeah.

It's a bummer Conor went with that wierd El Chapo track for 196, because Biggie vs Tupac would have been incredibly fitting for that event.

We already got that with Frankie vs Faber, which was even more fitting because it was East Coast vs West Coast

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

maffew buildings posted:

fatherdog quote about nelson thinking he's a smart guy playing a dumb guy when he's actually dumb goes here

I'm pretty sure that's originally a manyak quote

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

manyak posted:

Its hard to make a tier list really because there are tons of places with good coaches but peoples perceptions of the gyms is overly results-oriented and colored by how different camps advertise themselves (lots of gyms actually make their money more from hobbyists and amateurs who hear about the hype and go to train somewhere, rather than the pros)

For instance AMC Pankration in washington might be one of the best gyms, but Matt Hume likes to focus on a couple guys at a time and doesnt put as much time into promoting his brand so its not considered a powerhouse. But he coaches Mighty Mouse who might be the best coached fighter of all time

Hume also has this weird thing where Rich Franklin was never more successful than when he was doing camps there, but decided to stay in Ohio and train with Jorge Gurgel, and Tim Boetsch was tons more successful when training with Hume, but decided to stay in Maine and train with Marcus Davis, and Leben had a resurgence at Hume's, and then left to go train in Hawaii.

I dunno whether it's really expensive to live near where AMC is or what; Hume's such a soft-spoken guy I have a hard time picturing him getting into personality conflicts, but it does seem to be a thing that happens.

Also as far as gyms go Almeida's has Frankie, Alvarez and Barboza as well as some midcard dudes, and AKA has a Thailand branch run by Mike Swick that some dudes do camps at or are listed as fighting out of, although nowhere super notable. Alliance MMA where Cruz fights out of has Gustafsson and Davis and a couple other name guys as well. Evolve MMA has a pretty high level instructor team/camp infrastructure, but almost nobody fighting out of there is in the UFC for various reasons. And of course ATT has a million Florida locations and has Lawler and Woodley and Romero and Texeira and Poirier and Brooks and a ton of mid-range guys I'm probably forgetting

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

tumor looking batty posted:

Cool ty. Why was he so successful?

• Best wrestler in his division
  • If not the best wrestler, at the very least the best at setting up takedowns with strikes and vice versa
  • Plowed the vast majority of his earnings back into his training for years, constantly travelling to train with the best coaches available and hiring world-class athletes in their individual disciplines for training camps
  • Serious OCD resulted in obsessive preparation for every single fight
  • 'ad riddum

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

willie_dee posted:

He threatened to suspend me if I carried on talking about it in that particular months thread when I first revealed the exclusive scoop, and then I talked about it with him on irc and he immediately figured out how I knew.

I haven't been on IRC since March. I'm not sure why on earth you'd lie about something like this, but in retrospect, I also don't care. Get out of PSP.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

To move on: What would you guys think it is that makes a coach great?

Obviously, the likes of Edmond Tarverdyan are seen as a joke for obvious reasons and people like John Danaher, Mark Henry, Rafael Cordeiro and Firas Zahabi are seen as excellent. What's the biggest difference?

There's no resources for me around here to train, but what led those of you who do train to stick with those who you guys do train with?

Tangentially, it's sometimes good to distinguish between "good coach" and "good cornerman". A good coach is someone whose fighters consistently improve in technical skill and overall game while training under them. A good cornerman is somebody who can say the right things during rounds and in between rounds to calm their fighter, get them back on the gameplan when they're straying, and occasionally point out things their opponent is doing that they can take advantage of. It's quite possible to be a good coach and a bad cornerman, and vice versa.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

Good strikers make a point of not cocking their hands prior to punching. poo poo even reasonably competent strikers can do this while adding some defence and ensuring your punches travel the shortest distance to target.

It's less to do with cocking and more that you see a high hand as soon as it starts moving, whereas a low hand can have travelled a bit before your vision registers it, on account of how peripheral vision works.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

Yes, but in the traditional boxing stance the fists can be given the illusion of movement behind movement of the hips, shoulders, or just by feinting. There's a reason you can still evade punches coming from below your peripheral, and that's because it takes many movements to throw a punch, some of which you can always see.

The "traditional" boxing stance doesn't have both your hands at your face, either, which is why actual boxers that do so are a rarity

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Alain Post posted:

This is a strange question but I once saw someone in a "your favorite MMA fighter" thread mention a Japanese MMA guy who had a style described as "he seems to think pro wrestling and anime are both real", and I was wondering who that might be, because I can't find that thread anymore.

Do a google video search for "Minowaman" and report back

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, but in the cage, it was just one lackluster fight against OSP. His haters have yet to see him get totally owned in a fight.

I don't have anything against Renan Barao, but his getting completely dominated by TJ twice was satisfying for his getting tested on the simplicity of his game and the general raising of expectations for MMA striking.
Speaking of, where does that "barao-rao-rao-rao" joke come from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwP04-diHtc

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

What does it mean to check a kick?

Blocking with your shin. There's more technique involved than it looks like.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Both Dillashaw/Barao matches are very worth watching, too

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

The Sphinxster posted:

Did the Fightpass thread fall into archives?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3642892

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CommonShore posted:

Name the fight

Duffee/Russow

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Do any good MMA rankings exist? Right now I only use the UFC ones.

All mma rankings are bad. The Official UFC Rankings are the least bad in the sense that the UFC pays some attention to them when it comes to matchmaking, which is 100% untrue of any other rankings.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
People said a lot of dumb stuff about the Reebok deal (like that the UFC management was making money off it, which in fact they aren't and are making less money from it than they were from the previous sponsorship regime) but it was still a very bad deal, and the UFC should have compared it to the money the fighters were getting from sponsorships at the time and either negotiated better or walked away until they found someone willing to make a deal that would have been closer to the status quo of money sponsorship. DWG is right that the deal will almost certainly get better to the point that it will eventually be a good deal, but the UFC made an unforced error in letting it be a lovely deal from the beginning.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

BlindSite posted:

I think the failure in simple poo poo that wasnt done in the reebok deal is a big part of why the new owners sacked a lot of staff from the UFC.

The owners sacked a lot of staff from the UFC because a lot of the staff was redundant with their own already existing production staff (or were obvious sinecures like Chuck and Hughes).

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Aye Doc posted:

I like watching dudes get knocked out. Chuck Liddell's career is very entertaining for me to watch since win or lose, someone is probably getting (T)KO'd (62% of his wins and 75% of his losses). i'm trying to find some other fighters who turned out like this, I thought Tito would be good for this but at 44%/33% he's pretty weak. can't even get knocked unconscious good enough, Tito. Rich Franklin is at 52% and 71%. are there any other guys I should be trying to track down to fit this weird fightpass craving?

Melvin Manhoef

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

New people should be required to take a video of themselves watching Lawler/Manhoef

I am so in favor of this you have no idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Eat This Glob posted:

You've been here forever. How the hell had you avoided that fight? I'm genuinely curious.

I watched it live and I was bummed for Melvin, tbh.

e: anyone have a link to that Strikeforce GDT or B-League thread from that era? I'm genuinely curious what the response was.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3260855

EDIT: Melvin/Lawler starts page 5

fatherdog fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 7, 2017

• Locked thread