Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I normally dislike "grey side of the force" stuff, but judging by that clip this might at least turn out better than the crap that was Kreia and Kotor 2.

Kreia wasn't grey. She was out and out Sith, but claimed to be grey to confuse you and open you to the Dark Side. :colbert:

That said, I prefer the idea that Jedi practice peace and tranquility for practical reasons, rather than the silly idea that being angry is a bad reason to do things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Kreia was sick and tired of the "Sith keep turning into cackling cartoon villains" thing so wanted to SHUT. DOWN. EVERYTHING.

Maul is kinda in the same place at this point, but has decided on a slightly less nihilistic path.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

kingcom posted:

??? Maul specifically wants to murder the top dogs and get revenge so he can be the top dog. They're not even close?

Kreia wants to raze it all the the ground. Maul wants to prove to his abusive father figure Palplatine that he isn't a failure, and finally get that pat on the head he's wanted since he was a starving child that Palp took in after he killed another street kid for a scrap of food or something.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Pretty sure it's just one book, not a new trilogy. The link you posted backs that up, it only talks about the one book, Thrawn, and how it will span several years, from his first encounter with the Empire to the events of Rebels.

I hope it's artfully done.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

IronSaber posted:

True, but I'm more interested to see if it is cheaper to draft folks into the Navy, give them cheap armor, blasters, barracks and food, rather than build intelligent battle droids and stick them in a closet when not in use.

Probably it is.

But part of the reason for doing it is to get buy-in from the populace. A bit of 'your sons and daughters are off making the galaxy safe for YOU and people like YOU' patriotism, partly 'If your planet goes into rebellion, we have a bunch of your sons and daughters within easy firing-squad distance,' and part of it is 'service guarantees citizenship' style reward systems; again, all three are the Roman model.

Then, when sonny-boy or daughter-girl goes home to farm moisture or whatever, they can talk about how, as part of the Imperial Army, they did relief work, built civil works as part of the corps of engineers, brought order to the lawless outer rim, fought far away battles to keep the people at home safe, all the usual stuff. They also provide a ready pool of reservists, probably go into local government and law enforcement, and so on.

Also, it makes the people complicit. If your clone army is off committing war atrocities, well, nothing to do with you. But when it's your sons and daughters burning down the village to save it, well, you're complicit, so you're going to justify it.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

IronSaber posted:

Ah yes, I forgot about Space Fascism. :v:

Well, how else will you make sure the space trains run on time?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Covok posted:

I think Dave Filoni said her story is done in Rebels. So, she might still be alive, but they won't touch on it there.

To be frank, we do have to make Luke the last Jedi in the galaxy, sans Obi-wan and Yoda, by a New Hope so that's something to keep in the back of your mind in nucanon works.

She states pretty unequivocally that she's no Jedi. Rebels seems to be getting pretty heavily into the whole 'Jedi/Sith are but one way of approaching the Force' in order to have Force-users a-plenty while still allowing Luke to be Last of the Jedi. It's the whole 'from a certain point of view' thing.

Think of it as Luke being the last US Marine, but man, there sure are a whole lot of US Special Ops, Delta Force, Airborne, SAS, GSG-9, SEALs, etc etc running around.

And the only reason Luke is a Jedi is because a Jedi Master, Yoda, said so. From a certain point of view, Ezra can never be a Jedi, unless Yoda so invests him, because it's a title bestowed by a Jedi Master, and Yoda is the only one kicking around.

Actually, now that I think about it, doesn't the original EU mention a few times that Luke assumed the title of Jedi Master, rather than having it granted, and therefore it doesn't count?

On the other hand, somebody had to be the first one originally.....

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Hey, I never said it was a GOOD explanation, just that it's the traditional Star Wars 'from a certain point of view' method. "From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!"

As to how I managed it without vomiting, practice, my son. Long practice.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Come on, guys, we all know that Snoke is Mace Windu. Episode 8 will be Rey and Kylo Ren both racing to find the purple lightsaber he lost back in Episode 3.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

All I'm getting is tips on roasting vegetables and explorations of urine smell.

Same. Urban Dictionary has nothing either.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The rebels were undoubtedly racists, Chewie didn't get a medal. They may have thought of themselves as progressive, but its their actions and unspoken biases that reveal their true nature.

He didn't even get a goddamn hug when his heterosexual life partner died.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Dave Syndrome posted:

Leia has always been racist about Wookiees: "Will someone get this walking carpet out of my way?"

This makes a lot of sense, actually. She'd have been raised in Imperial culture, and she worked in the Senate with the Imperial bureaucracy, and she'd have picked elements of that up, even having old Republic sympathies.

And yeah, a good manager hires and delegates well, and Lando did try to do right by his people.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Hera gets sold by the Empire to Jabba. She's pretty prominent in the beginning of RotJ.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Emperor Palpatine: "Spray paint the numbers 1, 2 and 4 on the sides of three Inquisitors and release them in the Lothal system, the Rebels will go nuts trying to find Inquisitor number three!"
Lord Vader: "It will be done, my master."

There's no such thing as Jedi. Never have been. The Jedi, just...there's never been any such thing as Jedi. You think there used to be Jedi? That's just sad! Now, lets talk about the Death Star. We're going to make the YUUGEST, most luxurious space station. Of all time. Just the best. We're going to make this station, it's going to be great, people will think it's a small moon. We're going to build this station, and we're going to make the outer systems pay for it. They're going to pay for it.

Back to 'only Luke can defeat the Sith' talk: Obi-Wan always did seem to have a thing for prophesied 'great ones.' And it also ties in to the theory that Luke and Leia are his, not Anikin's. He made Vader, so it's up to him and his kid to fix things.

Really, we were five minutes away from Vader being on the Springer show, talking about how much he loves Padme and his kids, and he's sorry he lost his temper, and he's going to try harder, then Jerry says 'Well, Anikin, Padme has a surprise for you. Turns out, those kids aren't actually yours! Lets meet the real father!' And out comes Obi-Wan, dancing away, and looking smug, talking smack like 'Looks like you weren't the Chosen One....IN BED, BITCH!' Then Vader goes after him, and it's JER-RY! JER-RY! JER-RY!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

woodch posted:

This and some other observations about these newer episodes makes me wonder... Do you think the writers and show-runners are beginning to aim a little higher on the age demographic as they go along? I think they might. Introducing a character like Thrawn almost requires that you don't sugarcoat how badass he is, and as a result the sense of "stakes" feels higher recently.

It's still aimed much lower than the movies are/were, but it does feel like it's pulling fewer punches lately.

Maybe they're ageing the stories along with whoever would have first started watching the show; i.e. S1 was aimed at 10-year-olds, S2 at 11-year-olds, S3 at 12-year-olds....

That said, I think the problem is more that kids today aren't exposed to things that really wouldn't bother them. I got hooked on anime watching Robotech and Thundersub on first-run broadcast TV, and being blown away by the idea of serialized stories, character deaths, and not shying away from the horrors of war, even if keeping them relatively tame. It was quite the thing watching GI Joe, where the only thing ever blown up is vehicles, then watching Roy strumming that guitar.....

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Burning_Monk posted:

How about Thrawns big "win" here being a bunch of assumptions? Sure he sent out a bunch of droids and one came back and blew up. It is likely Rebel related but could have been any one messing around with the droid. Some Jawas playing a joke? Maybe. Some pirate trying to throw the empire off? Happens all the time! Or just a malfunction after the droid got beat down by the local fauna. Thrawn just immediately went to "its rebels!" Because the story makes him right.

Nah, he's absolutely right. 94 planets to survey is easy, and meanwhile, the other infiltrators are still out there, and it's not like he needs to cancel any other ongoing search efforts; just go check those 94 planets specifically, right away.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Imagine if at the end of the first Karate Kid movie, Mr. Miyagi dropped dead of a heart attack, leaving Daniel as "The Last Miyagi-do Karateka." Who then proceeds to take students.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

MrJacobs posted:

Wouldn't some Okinawans from part 2 still use the style though?

Well, no. Father to son. That's why Sato hated Miyagi. But like force user doesn't mean Jedi, karateka doesn't mean Miyagi-do karateka.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I also liked that Thrawn's SD was identified as the Chimera, and the two lizards on the artwork behind his desk are probably references to Ysalimiri.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

howe_sam posted:

And to be fair, Hera knew something was up from the moment she saw Chop

Walk through this scanner. Don't worry; checking the results isn't SOP.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Aces High posted:

I like to think that Kanan turned into more of a mentor because he saw what Ezra was going through and wanted to keep that from happening, that and him being blinded by Maul probably made him come to the realisation that he has to be better. Perhaps I should rewatch season 1 and 2 to see if I'm missing something, because I could be.

Don't forget, after the end of S2, he went into a funk and spent however long moping around while his apprentice basically turned to the dark side. He realized he needed to step up at that point.

Rebels tries really hard to portray the whole 'the master teaches the disciple, and the disciple teaches the master' idea.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

RC Cola posted:

I just finished the episode where thrawn figures that kallus is fulcrum. Oh gently caress.

Think for a moment on how much Kallus lives up to his name when he fingers Wot's His Name as Fulcrum and throws him into the warm, loving embrace of Imperial Intelligence. Torture, interrogation droids with giant needles full of drugs, and the kind of totalitarian bureaucracy that assumes that if you're under suspicion for some reason, even if that reason turns out to be flat out wrong, you must be doing something bad that they just haven't figured out yet, or you wouldn't be under suspicion.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Twin Suns is one of my top 5 episodes of the series.

You're overvaluing some episodes, son. :colbert:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Teek posted:

First episode of Forces of Destiny now up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVVa2g4X4MU&t=13s

Is it just me, or does the voice track sound literally phoned in? Like, really low quality audio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

Also holy crap, we're about a week out from Season 4 premiering; somebody please come up with an awesome title for the new thread. Preferably one with a cutesy reference to The Last Jedi.

Star Wars Rebels Season 4: Well, We Know Hera and Chopper Survive

• Locked thread