Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
December? :lol: I wouldn't expect this game to be out before June 2017. Larian likes to take their time.

ZearothK posted:

How come Stabbey_the_Clown didn't create this thread.

I've been pretty busy with various things and never got around to it. But thanks to quadrophrenic for picking up my slack. I appreciate it, really.

I have been playing the alpha a bit, even though playing too much of the alpha and beta for the first game really burned me out on the full game. It's largely for that reason that I'm going to try avoid playing the origin stories until the full game is out. I've rolled up a dual-wielding Dwarf Rogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Mokinokaro posted:

It's over a millenium since the previous game.

Wizards live a long time. Like a REALLY long time. Zandalor and Arhu are in fact still alive about 50 years after D:OS 2 takes place.

Schubalts posted:

So is the Lizard race available for all custom characters, or is it only available for the Red Prince premade character?

Custom characters can be any race except Undead, which aren't in at all yet.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

they're going to let you pick what race your characters are?

because that's pretty neat if so

For Custom origins (and possibly the Undead) only. Fixed origins will usually lock you into a race and often a gender as well.

lurksion posted:

Ok, so I got thrown into the Fort Joy dungeon. Had 1 lockpick that I used to take care of the cell door. Now how do you get rid through the rest?

You had a lockpick? You could Ctrl + Click on some doors to force-attack them, and your gear should be in an evidence chest somewhere.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Hiveminded posted:

Body parts also seem to give a pretty substantial heal, which basically means that generic body parts (that is to say, body parts strewn randomly around the environment that don't have any story connection and draw from a list of possible memory dialogues) act as free health potions for elf characters.

I used to have Sebille hoard parts for the healing, but she never really ended up injured much either during combat or at the end of it, so I never got a chance to use them. Plus there's bedrolls for healing out of combat. It's probably okay to just eat the parts as you find them.

Hank Morgan posted:

How do I deal with the Shrieker at the Armoury?

Also I really loathe having to buy skills books in order to learn new abilities. Just let me pick the abilities I want at level up.

Look around, there are vines to let you bypass the Shrieker, then you can sneak around. However, I wouldn't go in there before level 5.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Phlegmish posted:

So there are ten thousand years between Dragon Commander and Divine Divinity.

Is it ever alluded to why the ancient empire fell and the technology disappeared? Does it really have to do with the gnomes?

Beaten by others, but it's actually spelled out rather specifically why the technology disappeared - that's actually the reason why you're fighting the war in the first place. It's demonic technology, and Maxos charges you from the beginning with defeating your insane half-siblings and becoming undisputed ruler of the world so you can gather up all that nasty stuff and destroy it. The tech doesn't show up again until Divinity 2, which does make sense.

Strumpie posted:

Have they done the smart thing and removed RPS mini-games, identifying/loremaster and repairing.

So much wasted time and inventory fuckery for 0 fun.

RPS is out, the others are still in, but the current consensus feedback in the alpha is that repairing/durability adds absolutely nothing and should be outright removed (or changed to make it interesting in a non-annoying way).

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Taear posted:

It really did feel like one of those mechanics someone "feels" should be in but they weren't actually very comitted to it.

Nobody's answered my question about the puzzles yet! Does the game still manage to hide things in a bad way?

I haven't found any "find the tiny pizel-sized button" puzzles yet, no.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Some information from a Eurogamer interview

• The Companions will be akin to those from Baldur's Gate or Dragon Age: Origins - they have their own personality, relationships and opinions. You can influence them, but you cannot affect their origin quest or their relationships.
  • There are only going to be 6 Origins in the game total: Sebille (Elf), the Red Prince (Lizard), Lhose (Human), Ifan (Human), the Dwarf, and the Undead (that's the one written by Chris Avellone).
  • No word on whether the Undead's original race will be fixed as a human, or if that is variable.
  • Fort Joy is only most of Act 1. Missing are a tutorial area presumably on the ship bringing you to the island, and the finale presumably fighting to seize control of the Lady Vengeance to escape.
  • Act 1 is about 20-25% of the game, Act 2 will be about 50%, Act 3 will be the last 25%. However, three acts does NOT mean three maps.
  • Larian is in talks to do voice acting for the full game, but there's no guarantee that they'll actually do it.

EDIT: Whoops I am dumb. Sorry.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 15, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Oops, sorry about the broken tag. I didn't fix it yesterday because my computer was off almost all day. (Also I was only guessing anyway.)

Schubalts posted:

Unless something horrific happened to their writers between Divinity 2 and Original Sin, I have no problems with Larian's writing. Especially when it was coming out of Damien's mouth while he was full-on theater posing and monologuing at you. :allears:

The writing in Divinity 2 was really great. I was less keen on D:OS 1, though.

I think what happened between Divinity 2 and Original Sin was that they originally had no plans to do voice acting, so they let their writer go and do whatever without needing to worry about staying within a word count. Plus there was also a change from having the player characters giving keyword-based dialogue in the pre-alpha D:OS 1 to full sentences, which added to the work load and word count.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
About Durability:

Lar posted:

So - we keep on having discussions about durability and figured we'd throw it in the group and see what comes up.

We're open to try to remove it (and thus also the entire repairing mechanic) to see what it gives but before we do that we want to find something different that makes bashing open wooden doors & chests with weapons not the default option. The design is such that any way of opening a locked door or chest that doesn't involve the key has some type of cost.

If you bash open a wooden chest, you know you'll pay with durability. The cost here is that eventually that'll cause you to have to consume a repair hammer which has a gold value.

Obviously, you can choose to burn a chest (wooden objects have high resistances against other types of elemental damage), but then you have the risk that's what is inside will start burning. And if you burn a door, that takes time. Which, with the new reactivity mechanics, increases the risk that your crime will be discovered. Here the risk of discovery or loss is the cost.

And then there is lock picking. There the cost is that of the lock pick and the need to invest points in thievery.

We've got a couple of ideas but we'd be curious to hear what you guys think.

So it's not set in stone yet.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Larian is doing an Advent Calendar thing:

http://www.divinity.game/newsposts/2016/11/30/the-advent-calendar-is-coming

quote:

The Advent Calendar is Coming!

November 30, 2016

Welcome to Larian's festive giveaway! From the 1st to the 25th of December we'll be running our own little advent calendar... Kinda. This is no simple "click to open the door and get a prize" advent calendar. Have you seen our games? We'd never make it that easy!

We've searched through our vaults and found a "living picture", which will progress a little more every day. And every day (starting tomorrow) a different three digit number will sneak into the shot. All you have to do is find the number hiding somewhere in the image and enter it as a password to unlock exclusive Divinity: Original Sin 2 digital swag!

We'll have new goodies for you every day until the 25th December, but each download is only available for 24 hours. Once we hit midnight (Pacific Time) that day's reward is gone forever!

Of course, it's not all digital fun. Keep an eye on Facebook and Twitter where, on random days, we'll be giving out hardware prizes from our friends at ROCCAT too!

We'll see you tomorrow, when the first number will sneak into the picture and the first giveaway will kick off.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Kickstarter Update:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/1749877

Phlegmish posted:

New patch is out for those playing Early Access. Patch notes:

http://www.divinity.game/newsposts/2016/11/30/path-notes-3014546

Unfortunately haven't spotted 'remove repair skill' so far.

They are planning to do something about durability, it's just not in yet. They are doing some internal testing of a new idea, they hope it will be in the next patch. (See 14:08 in the video.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdQsm0Sh2Zg

- I like the look of the new stat changes
- Your melee wield style gives you a free (0 Memory) skill depending on the type. Single-handed gives you a knockdown skill "Sucker Punch". One-handed with shield gives you "Restore Armor". Two-Handed gives you "Power Attack", Dual-Wield gives you "Flurry".

Advent Calendar:

http://www.divinity.game/christmas

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Jastiger posted:

Where do you see those numbers

This one wasn't that hard to find. I maximized the full-sized image and scrolled around slowly. The numbers were in plain sight, not a hidden pattern in lines otherwise used for something. I am going to guess the other ones will probably be hidden similarly.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
drat, I missed the Dec 6 one. What was it?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Wow. Your chance to hit in combat is predetermined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24giMb-n5u4

I did some other experiments too. It's nothing to do with long range, as moving your character closer does not change your chance of hitting.

This is GARBAGE.

EDIT: It also seems like your chance to hit is set BEFORE the fight starts. I've loaded a pre-fight save a few times and each time when Sebille's turn comes up all her attacks can only hit The Avid One and they miss everyone else.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 8, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Clever Spambot posted:

Maybe i'm missing something here but how is this a bad thing? It seems like you would only notice it doing exactly what you are doing and reloading after every attack and wouldn't affect at all someone playing normally.

First, for the record, I essentially ALWAYS play all fights from start to finish in one go, no saving or reloading. In fact pretty much the only times i save mid-combat is specifically to test something. That's how I noticed this.

Secondly, I do not at all agree with the game designers interfering on this level, micromanaging chances to hit based on a random seed determined before you even select a target, and even changing your position before you attack has no effect on your chances. It is a total design FAIL as far as I am concerned. This also makes the "73% chance to hit" displayed a complete lie. The actual Chance to hit would more properly be displayed as "YES"/"NO".

If Larian wants to prevent in-combat save-scumming, then just prevent all saving in combat, period. Not this poo poo.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Clever Spambot posted:

Fair enough i guess, if it is intended to prevent mid combat save scumming than yeah its dumb when the obvious solution of don't let them save mid combat exists.

I'm sure having a seed that generates at the start of each combat probably helps online multiplayer go a bit smoother, since each computer only needs the seed rather than transferring every individual dice roll over the course of the combat. It being a technical reason like that (or another similar back end thing) makes way more sense to me than it being a design decision but i guess it could be either at this point.

I don't think that is the reason, because characters have multiple options in combat. They have normal attacks, special attacks item attacks like grenades and arrows, they can move to various positions, they can use an item in their inventory to change their equipment or their health/status/resistances... the result of each of those choices must go to all clients anyway. Setting the results of normal attacks and specials as a fixed seed to save packets wouldn't save all that much bandwidth considering how much else you still have to send.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Section Z posted:

Yeah that's no good. There is a big difference between "We want to make save scumming less convenient" and "Your tactics don't actually matter because moving into a better position for your shot does gently caress all, but it's okay because it's to prevent save scumming!"

Walking either 1 or 2 AP closer to the targets didn't change anything.

I even tried delaying my turn, my warrior moved to a corner, then I had my mage teleport my archer into better position on the high ground and that didn't change anything. I also tried purchasing the skill Mark which decreases a target's dodge chance. That took the displayed chance to hit from 73/74 up to 88/89, but it only flipped one of the three misses (one of the 89% ones) into a hit. The other 89% chance-to-hit remains a miss.

I'll make another video, but with 13 scenarios and 4 targets, run at least 5 times each for demonstration, that will take a bit of time to record.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Have you been afflicted with the Blind status? Because it's bugged and the increased miss chance sticks after the status wears off. You need to save and reload to reset it. Additionally, there's a -20% miss chance per level for weapons above your character level, so if you're level 3 and have a level 8 weapon, you'll never hit anything with it. BUT that effect does show up on the tooltips, so it should display as a 0% chance to hit.

Question: What was the calendar thing for the 15th, does anyone have the link saved in their browser history? I thought I did it, but I'm not so sure now.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Big patch today:

quote:

Dear forum members, are you ready?

I said. ARE. YOU. READY?!

Because today we unleash AI 2.0 to the world and you had better be prepared because it's been kicking our behinds ever since we've been testing it out.

So welcome to a brave new world. If you find you are also getting your hiney kicked, don't panic. We think that's perfectly normal. But if you think this is a walk in the park, we simply have to talk to you and we'd like to know how you are still beating our system!

Seriously though: we are aware this will feel more like our hard core Tactician mode. And we need all of your feedback to be able to tweak the numbers correctly. What are you experiencing that makes it too hard? Monsters ganging up on you? Monsters controlling your party? Reactivity? Movement? Unfair advantages? Monsters have too many skills? You're not wearing any armour?

Let us know. Of course, there's more than just Super AI. Here's a (huge) changelist.

Improvements

AI 2.0. Integrated new AI system for all enemies
AI has received a big overhaul. In general it should be a lot smarter and have more awareness of its surroundings. This means that the AI might have gotten a bit more difficult to deal with, so don't underestimate your enemies and especially watch your positioning! Your enemies will make better use of barrels, surfaces, and combat control skills, and they’ll have better knowledge of the consequences of casting particular skills. Planning ahead is now more important than ever.
Loot system overhaul
Find less gear in random loot, but more gold and valuables. The idea is to get economy going and make trade more important. Uniquely hand-placed items and boss loot should feel more rewarding and rare. You HAVE to go shopping!
Added three new arenas
Forbidden Valley
Enemy at the Gates
Ravenshaw Mansion
Added AI 2.0 to arenas
You can now choose which starting class recruited companions should be, making it easier to compose the best-balanced party
Removed durability from armor
Weapon durability now only decreases when attacking objects
Reduced AoE radius of most area spells to promote tactical gameplay
Improved talk animation for female humans
New melee attack animations for all races
Improved female lizard skill animations
Improved several item textures throughout the level
Improved animations for several skills
Improved list of usable items that should automatically get added to the bottom bar
Improved Soul Jars: they now check if the player still has their Source collar before letting them absorb the soul in the jars
Improved Burn My Eyes tooltip to include that it removes Terrified, Sleeping, Enraged
Improved fog effects
Updated several UI sound effects

Balancing and design changes

Invisibility is now removed by Frozen, Petrified, Stunned, Knocked Down, Taunted, Sleeping, Wet
Invisibility is no longer removed by all surfaces, except if they damage you
Fortified status should now remove burning
Poison damage no longer automatically contaminates puddles
Wielding single wand now applies bonus from single handed ability
Players receive their second Civil Point at level two. After that, they receive a point every four levels
Weapon skills now show ‘chance to hit’ when hovering over a target
All chests can now be moved and picked up, except special arena chests
All containers that should be pick-up-able, now are (improved weight stats)
Ground Smash now uses damage of equipped weapon
Increased duration of Burning, Poisoned and Bleeding for most skills because these statuses no longer deal one tick of damage when applied for the first time
Description of ‘Rested’ status now mentions that it protects from certain harmful statuses
Added a new defensive ability, Perseverance, that allows characters to regain part of their armor after being controlled by a status
Surfaces and clouds no longer disappear automatically. Exceptions: fire (2 turns), smoke (1 turn)
You can no longer spot characters in sneak mode while preparing a skill
Sneaking cones now show on all characters that can spot you, rather than just the ones that see you
Incapacitated NPCs can no longer spot the player while the player is in sneak mode. Similarly, incapacitated players can no longer spot sneaking enemies.
Damage statuses no longer tick damage on applying
Set equip cost for all slots to 1 AP
Trompdoy is now immune to poison and bleeding
Purging Wands and Braccus Helm now give Source Disruption skill

Additions

Added and updated visual effects:
Elemental weapon impacts
Several grenades and arrows
Several skills throughout campaign and in Arena Mode
Added and improved several sounds for skills and usable items
Added weapon swoosh effects that scale with the level of your weapon abilities (Example: Single-handed weapons will have a bigger swoosh at single-handed level five)
Added map marker from Delorus, after you choose to heal him
Added new effect for Party Reflection Dialogs and stopped these dialogs from appearing during combat
Added new type of pitchfork to weapon treasure
Added new simple tools weapon types to weapon treasure (mallet, pickaxe, scythe, pitchfork)
Added several journal updates for quests in Fort Joy area
Added new necklace types to treasure generation
Added being able to sell junk in the trade window

Bug Fixes

Fixed random seed not being reset when loading a savegame. Happy save scumming!
Fixed several signs that were no longer legible
Fixed errors in status animations for male humans
Fixed Bahara position at seeker camp. Some players were getting "can't reach" message when trying to interact with her
Fixed incorrect reflection boost getting added to equipment
Fixed issue with XP reward in multiplayer for "The Imprisoned Elf" quest
Fixed blind status causing player to miss even after the status wore off
Fixed non-weapon items not showing critical hit chance
Fixed possible crash when unloading a level
Fixed crash when a client player would press highlight characters button without having assigned characters
Fixed issue with initial dialogs of Gawin and Leste
Fixed the equipment of one of Trompdoy's illusions
Fixed dialogs for certain characters after they had already met (example: Red Prince and Stingtail dialog)
Fixed Gawin dying prematurely during one of his teleports
Fixed Amyro becoming hostile if he is teleported out of his cell
Fixed issue with resurrected characters causing arena match to end prematurely
Fixed issue with Void Worm not spawning in the final fight of Fort Joy
Fixed crash when player was committing a crime and then loading a savegame right after
Fixed Gratiana's dialog if Gareth is already dead when the Seekers gather before the final fight
Fixed hotbar positions of the button hints after reassigning keyboard shortcuts
Fixed Gratiana's dialog if you had the Wand and had delivered the Soul Jar to her already
Fixed issue with Gareth's dialog before the final fight. In some cases, he would not leave behind companions for the player to help during the battle
Fixed a crash when destroying specific chests containing cloth loot
Fixed Historian joining combat involuntarily in Fort Joy Swamps area
Fixed the boat to escape Fort Joy still being visually present for other players after one player had already used it
Fixed items disappearing when you left them in certain containers and tried to recover them after leaving the area
Fixed several items not having an icon
Fixed items getting removed from hotbar when switching from dual wield to two-handed
Fixed Comeback Kid talent so it correctly saves the player character with 1 hp left
Fixed Telekinesis beam effect not disappearing
Fixed burning pigs not reacting correctly when receiving Blessed status
Fixed multiplayer issues with Saheila quest
Fixed being able to talk to Zaleskar's mirror after killing him
Fixed Charmed status description
Fixed possible infinite fire surface
Fixed Tarlene's dialogue after you save Gareth
Fixed issue that Source collars would not show up after getting resurrected in Arena
Fixed necromancers not attacking after you destroy Necromancer Rask's Soul Jar
Fixed projectiles sometimes colliding with roofs
Fixed several incorrect imprisonment scenarios
Fixed several issues with necromancer maze
Fixed issue with curse status getting stuck on character after receiving it via items like Braccus' ring
Fixed issue with starting skills not updating in character creation screen
Fixed being able to pickpocket all loot by pressing space bar when ‘take all’ button is disabled
Fixed smoke clouds not blocking vision anymore after loading
Fixed gold in containers not being included in trade window, while the containers are in the player's inventory
Fixed being able to get a Talent without meeting its requirements in the character creation screen
Fixed Attribute bonuses from equipment so they correctly count towards requirements for equipping items
Fixed Leadership not working on allies in multiplayer
Fixed surface damage reflect. This should not happen anymore.
Fixed several issues with Buddy the dog
Fixed several minor dialogue inconsistencies in and around Fort Joy
Fixed Voidwoken Drillworm spawning in incorrect locations

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Bussamove posted:

Had some pretty severe issues last night when playing with a friend to test things out, all weirdly involving Ifan. He wasn't where I saw him on my screen, and more than once during fights he was just plain unable to be given commands. Our other companion was fine and we were perfectly fine too. Ifan just didn't want to play nice.

I've definitely noticed a bug with him where he won't follow the party even though he's chained to it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Caidin posted:

I haven't played for a few months, when did they make chugging soul jars the only way to get source? The hoarding instinct was bad enough before I got a hard limit of 5 points.

The new big patch, so only a week or two ago.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The Spy

quote:

Kicking your boots together, you curse the cold weather. Your feet are cold and you’ve lost all feeling in your toes. The rain was coming down hard now, torrential. Only morning, the noon-day sun is fast approaching, yet the thick clouds give you the impression of dusk.

Perhaps he won’t come?

You allow the hint of doubt to creep into your mind. His note yesterday was ominous. His demeanour creepy at best, dangerous at worst.

Perhaps I should just -

You turn to go, and there he is. Standing still in the rain, dark eyes locked on you under his hood. Finally speaking, his tone is questioning; “You mean to leave?”

Speak you fool!

A sudden fear grips your throat as you open your mouth to speak. Silence.
He considers you for a moment. Hesitation? You’re unsure.

“If you want to leave, leave. But the information I have is worth staying for. It's the information you seek, I assure you.”

Leave you fool. Do not allow this man to lead you astray.

Your mind is pleading, urging you to leave. Yet you remain. You can hear the blood in your ears, feel your heart in your chest. Something deeper within you wants you to stay. Needs you to stay.

“Good.”

He glances casually to his left and right before stepping close to you. You can see him clearly now. A light brown stubble covers his chin, eyes deep and sallow. His brown eyes look black in this light, reflecting only a hint of the lamplight beside you. He was young, but his skin showed an aged weariness of someone who doesn’t sleep well. His breath is warm and smells of drudanae.

“They don’t want us to know. They think they're clever, that they’ve covered their tracks.” Another glance to his left; “But I know the truth. I know what’s really going on in Rivellon. How they influence our world. Change the fabric of our very existence.”

You close your mouth finally, dry lips rub together as you swallow hard. That internal voice is calling now, yelling at you. This is something you should run from, not embrace.
RUN. It pleads.
Run.
Run.
Ruuuuun….

He steps back, disappointment in his eyes.

“You don’t believe me… You think me mad.” He declares. Without asking, he pulls away his cloak, revealing a glimmering orb underneath. His eyes light up when he see’s it, his voice shifts tone. Almost giddy.

“I have my sources… And I have this....”

You reach for it, instinctively. You feel your fingers in the rain as they outstretch towards it. The internal voice is screaming now. Nooooooo. Screeching.

You step forward.

He covers the orb again. Your eyes, finally free from the glimmering light look up once more.

“Not so close! Not so close!” He growls; “It is a unique artifact of incredible power. You will see… It shows you things. Things that are going to happen, or might not happen. It will reveal everything to me... To us. We must tell the world. Rivellon must know of their plans!”

“I cannot stay longer. Meet me again tomorrow. Come alone, as before. You will see proof that my words are true!” Without another word, he turns and leaves.

The voice is quiet now. All you can hear is the rain on the rooftops and the soft thud of the water hitting the mud below.

The voice is quiet now.

You will come back tomorrow.

The voice is quiet now.

You must. Come back.

quote:

“Whips?” you ask, with a scoff.

“Whips!” He repeats in a whisper, with that giddy tone from yesterday.

Whips!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/1842838

Two new skill trees make their appearance in the D:OS 2 Beta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJhff-L-SOE

quote:

Summoning Succotash!

The Summoning school uses Incarnates and totems to make life a living hell for opponents. Both Incarnates and Totems take on powers based on the surface they are summoned on, and they can be buffed as well. Every Ability Point in the Summoning combat ability will increase your summons' Vitality, Damage, Magic Armour and Physical Armour. So go nuts!

Incarnates can be further infused with powers that allow it to be a flexible and efficient partner. A small, hairy, creepy little partner. Anyway, for example, you could use Power Infusion on it, which lets your Incarnate cast Warrior skills like Whirlwind and Battering Ram, and it also beefs him up with physical armour. If you’re more interested in ranged attacks and magic armour, go for the Farsight Infusion instead!

On the automatic-home-protection side of things, Totems automatically launch different forms of attacks, buffs and debuffs, making them a useful tool for controlling movement and the tide of battle.

The current skill list for Summoning in the Early Access is:

• Conjure Incarnate - Conjure a personal elemental that matches the ground surface it's summoned onto. Your Incarnate can be buffed with Infusions.
  • Elemental Totem - Target a ground surface and conjure a totem of the corresponding element. Each turn, this totem will fire a projectile at enemies in sight.
  • Dimensional Bolt - Shoot a volatile bolt that deals damage of a random type, and then creates a corresponding surface.
  • Farsight Infusion - Unlock ranged attack for your Incarnate. Buffs Magic Armour.
  • Power Infusion - Unlock Whirlwind and Rush for your Incarnate. Buffs Physical Armour.
  • Rallying Cry - Target character regenerates Vitality and Magic Armour according to the number of allied characters and totems in their vicinity.
  • Supercharger - Target summon deals increased damage during its next turn-- then explodes. BIG BADDA BOOM!

We’ve created a new preset class called the Conjurer to take advantage of this new school and we hope you’ll experiment and play around with all of the combinations and possibilities. Especially when you combine these skills with the Polymorph skills!

Chicken It Out

Speaking of Polymorph, let’s talk about it! This skill was by far the most popular skill school in our vote, so we knew we had to make it extremely awesome. If Swen’s demonstrations with the Chariza--we mean with the chicken--didn’t convince you, then we don’t know what will!

Polymorphs are inspired by nature and their magic takes some of the best and worst aspects of other creatures and puts them to combat use. For example, you can grow wings and fly over surfaces, and then chain that with the Flight skill for longer distance flight. The Polymorph combat ability gives players one free Attribute Point to your avatar for every Ability Point invested.

The Early Access will include seven insane skills:

• Bull Horns - Magnificent horns sprout from your forehead. You can rush at your enemies and gore them.
  • Tentacle Lash - With tentacular (it’s a word, look it up) limbs, lash out at the enemy and Disarm them.
  • Chicken Claw - Turn the target character into a chicken. Squawk!
  • Heart of Steel - Your skin turns to steel, increasing Physical Armour and regenerating a portion of it every turn.
  • Chameleon Cloak - Become one with the shadows so that you're invisible to your opponents.
  • Spread Your Wings - Grow wings that unlock Flight skill. You ignore ground surfaces as long as you keep moving.
  • Skin Graft - Reset all cooldowns, yet also strip off all Physical Armour and Magic Armour. Removes Burning, Poisoned, Bleeding.

We’ve created the Metamorph preset class so you can adapt and transform and be as tricksy as mother nature herself. We’re not telling you to combine some of these polymorph skills with summoning skills, but we’re also not telling you NOT to do that. Have fun!

War! What Is It Good For?

The new skill schools aren’t the only big addition coming with this patch! We’re also letting you deep role-players have even more fun with the addition of the “Make War” option.

“Make War”, much as the name suggests, allows you to turn your former friends into enemies. When you select this option, you will become enemies with your ex-party members and will enter turn-based combat with each other whenever you approach. Whoever runs away or dies loses the battle. Since your character will really die if there is no one around to revive them, maybe don’t choose this option unless you think you’re really not ready to reconcile and just talk things out.

If you don’t plan to fight your old party mates, but just want to do some things behind their backs, be sure to check the option to prevent them from seeing your quest journal. You sneaky sneak you.
But that’s not all!

Oh you thought we were done? This isn’t over yet! Patch v3.0.50.423 is full of other goodies, fixes and adjustments.

• We’ve updated Origin stories and how party members engage with NPCs.
  • We’ve updated Examining a character to be more efficient.
  • We’ve added a new Arena level: Castle Outskirts.
  • Your friend AI 2.0 has been given a slight upgrade. Don’t be too frightened.
  • We’ve made some changes to combats in and around Fort Joy.
  • We’ve tweaked a few gameplay items such as lockpicking, ladder animation, targeting and more.
  • We got out the shoe and destroyed some bugs!
  • And tons more!

For the full run-down of changes head to our patch notes and dive into all those bullet points!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

KyloWinter posted:

When's the release date?

Steam Forums FAQ posted:

Later this year (H2 2017).
A more exact time frame will be announced when it is possible to do so with a relative degree of certainty. There is still content that needs to be completed, an unknown number of iterations required for game balancing and adjustments to gameplay mechanics, an unknown number of issues and bugs that will take an indeterminate time to resolve, etc. The plan at this point is still subject to unexpected delays, even with reasonable estimates and padding.

Schlook posted:

Any idea when they will add in gamepad support? Been playing thru the first one from my couch and its an good experience, prolly wait to play this one, until they add that in.

quote:

The controller UI will be updated once the revisions to the keyboard and mouse UI are relatively complete (which are a work in progress as the design of various systems are finalized). Once the controller UI is in, split screen co-op support will be implemented.
Obviously sooner would be better, but currently it is not guaranteed that either will be available before release. If not by release, they will be added as soon as possible after release.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Update #41 - But wait, there's more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiadjOstYL8

Skill crafting is in. It's limited to combinations of Elemental + Non-Elemental skill. It doesn't matter what the specific skills are, it'll always produce the same new combined skill. There is an exception: If one or both of the books are Source skills, the combination will be a more powerful Source version of the combined skill. With 4 Elemental schools and 6 non-elemental (I think), that should produce 24 normal skills and 24 Source skills.

- Controller support and local split-screen will be in.
- There's also rune crafting, which is sort-of like socketed gems from Diablo 2.
- Death animations are improved and there is now ragdolling after death.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Larian posted:

The Undead also heal via poison and are poisoned by healing potions.

And here's where I lost interest in ever using an Undead, at least until a mod changing that is available.

I suppose it might not be terrible if it only applies to potions and poison and not healing magic. But an entire race which has reversed healing rules, in a co-op focused game is a terrible idea.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Prism posted:

So I'm not entirely sure how characters work in D:OS2.

There are five precreated characters. You can use them as your party members to make a group of (I think) four. Or, you can make your own characters for some (but not all?) of those slots, but then you lose out on some character-specific quests since you won't have as many of the precreated characters.

Is that right? Or are the precreated characters just recruits for characters you designed as the protagonist(s)?

Starting a single-player game, you make one character. If you choose an origin story, that character won't be found in the game world because you are them. If you make a custom character, all the origins are there to recruit. You cannot recruit custom characters, they don't exist unless you pick custom in character creation.

Starting a multiplayer game, each player can choose to use an origin or a custom character, with the caveat that there can be no duplicate origin characters.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Radio Talmudist posted:

Is the early access price (44 USD) cheaper than the final MSRP? Or is that the price of the game when it launches as well?

The latter. No EA discount, but no price increase on release.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Hard to be sure. In D:OS 1, there weren't any mandatory-tiny-buttons-hidden-in-corners in the Act 1 map either. There aren't any in Act 1 of D:OS 2 either, but your objective here is pretty simple: escape.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The origin stories will have a bunch of unique encounters with NPC's that you can't replicate with the generic Scholar/Mystic/Jester/... tags, unique Origin Source skills, custom will have 4 copies of the "extra turn" Source skill (which in fairness is probably one of the best ones).

If you are controlling a character, you decide whether to leave the group or not, it won't happen automatically. Piss off an NPC origin enough and they might, but there are probably ways to avoid that happening. But when a human is controlling a PC, the human decides.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Pwnstar posted:

Always take Pet Pal at character creation.

That's no longer such an easy choice.

In D:OS 1, you started out with two mandatory main characters, with two choosable talents each, so Pet Pal was only one of 4 possible Talents you could have immediately. Additionally, a new Talent was available at level 3, which you can reach before (or very shortly after) leaving the first town. In D:OS 1, you start out with ONE character with ONE choosable Talent, and you get your next one at level 4, which - doing everything - you'll reach about halfway through Act 1.

You have 75% fewer Talents to start out with and it takes much longer to get a new one. Pet Pal is much less attractive to pick up because of that.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah but 1) they don't all have access to every preset right? and

2) what each preset starts with isn't on a webpage anywhere to browse while (for example) at work

All Origins have access to every preset. I mean, you can even do that in the beta with NPC origins by asking them to change presets (when recruiting them).

The only thing fixed when you select a preset is your starting weapon. Everything else is customizable. Your weapons:
Battlemage: Dual Axes
Cleric: Mace + Shield
Conjurer: Wand
Enchanter: Wand + Shield
Fighter: Sword + Shield
Inquisitor: Staff
Knight: 2H Sword
Metamorph: Spear (2H)
Ranger: Bow
Rogue: Dual Daggers
Shadowblade: Dagger
Wayfarer: Crossbow
Witch: Wand
Wizard: Dual Wands

These are how they currently are in the beta. There have been complaints and suggestions that the Battlemage should start with the staff and the Inquisitor with the Dual Axes to better synergize with their default skillsets, but Larian might ignore that and keep it as it is now.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Futaba Anzu posted:

What makes dual axes good on inquisitor? I'm assuming you need to spec into both melee and dual wielding to effectively dual wield right?
Also are either the dwarf origin or faze findable in the beta right now?

The skills in Inquisitor's default schools have physical armor checks, but the default weapon of a staff does magic damage. It doesn't synergize well together.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The armor they show your class with at start, that's purely cosmetic, right? Does it lock you into that look or something?

edit: second question

Are the sneaking and thieving skills useful / worthwhile ? Bartering / lucky charm?

Your armor changes based on the specific armor currently equipped, but it will always thematically look like that race's armor. So heavy plate mail will look like thick bark and stuff on elves, and more like proper armor on dwarves.

-Thieving is good for lockpicking, if nothing else. It also covers pickpocketing, which is somewhat useful, although there are low limits in both weight and value which mean you'll not be getting super-expensive stuff easily.
- Sneaking reduces enemy sight cones for the sneaker, which can be helpful if you want to avoid fighting when there are patrolling enemies, or to get into position before initiating a fight (but that can backfire once the fight starts and oh look you're behind enemy lines and are a big fat target).
- Bartering is okay, it lets you get more money when selling and pay less when buying. It's a decent choice to invest in.
- Lucky Charm is ridiculously underwhelming garbage, do not take it.

Futaba Anzu posted:

Are you talking about the Warfare and Necromancy school stuff? When I equip a staff, it says warfare abilities still scale off basic damage and intelligence. Is that armor check thing something else because it also seems like they do mostly fire damage when I have a fire staff equipped.

Some thought was put into the skill design in the game, and warfare skills will scale off of the stat type used by your weapon. Necromancy skills have a physical damage check to apply statuses - if the enemy still has physical armor remaining, the status won't land. Staves hit magical armor, and so won't help you reduce physical armor to better help your necromancy status effects land.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 8, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Futaba Anzu posted:

is there any reason for dualwielding particularly? I just pulled out a real nice spear from Braccus Rex that I was thinking of using instead

Preference, mostly. Keep in mind that you'll be replacing weapons fairly often, probably around once a level or so, just to keep up with increases in enemy health and armor. You probably don't want to put ability points into several different weapon types just because you found a new one which is shiny.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Q8ee posted:

savescumming is one hell of a dangerous tactic, unless you know you're gonna be fine doing the same poo poo over and over to win. i was the biggest savescummer ever, but in a game like this, savescumming and retrying over and over to keep everyone alive, i'd burn myself out on the first handful of fights before i ever got into the meat of the game.

I save before a fight, but never during a fight, so if I get screwed and die - and yes, the combat is challenging enough that that is expected - I have to do the whole thing again. But I prefer the challenge of having to do the whole fight in one take.

quote:

plus, this game is a tad more forgiving in combat, as long as you've got resurrect scrolls, you can always bring dead teammates back to life.

One big change from D:OS 1 is that dead teammates get full XP from kills in combat now. In D:OS 1, to ensure they got their share of the limited amount of XP available, you would need to resurrect them, which meant having a lot of AP saved to use the scroll, AND a way to immediately heal them, because resurrection leaves them with not much health, so they'll fall right back down if an enemy breathes in their direction.

But because dead teammates get XP, there's less urgency to get them back up right away. Other than being a teammate down in combat which is designed to be challenging for 4 characters.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The big complaint isn't really that Elf and Undead racials are overpowered as it is about Lizard/Dwarf/Human racials being underwhelming. Corpse Eater is a unique and interesting mechanic. +1 to Bartering/Sneak/Persuasion is not that interesting.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

kloa posted:

Can you respec in 2? It sucked having a guy go 2H and then find a 1H weapon that does more damage but not being able to spec into sword and shield.

You probably can at some point, but it'll take a while to reach that point, it will be expensive, and it'll probably increase in cost each time you do it. That's how the respec worked in D:OS 1 at least. It's more of a "whoops, I TOTALLY hosed up and spread myself too thin" emergency button, rather than "I want to test drive this new weapon" thing.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Section Z posted:

Hmm, I wonder if you can spec a Cleric for Two-Handed without "Wasting" points from having them start with one handed skills or somesuch? Probably could work out the other way around with a tough guy going to magical med school after the fact.

Easily.

Change 1H to 2H in the Cleric preset. The downside is that you'll still start out with a 1H weapon. There's a way to fix that, but it's more work:
Look at the Cleric preset and write down (or just remember) their stat/attribute/talent/spell distribution, then go to the Knight preset and change all its values to match the Cleric ones (except for 1H, obviously). Now you have a Cleric who starts with a 2H weapon.

All a preset does is determine the starting weapon. Everything else can be changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Section Z posted:

And we're back to the mixed messages about options. Pet Pal OP.

Okay. Is it just a really jarring tool tip error overlooked. Or does slotting the Knight preset really change Scoundrel and Marksmen dagger and ranged powers into "Gets a bonus from Strength", and the other way around for Finesse boosting warfare picks if you started out as a rogue preset? Is this actually a really cool thing you can do for realsies, or am I getting cock teased with that degree of customization?

Nothing to do with Knight. It's Warfare: Warfare skills are tied to the weapon type you're using, and use the favoured attribute for that weapon. I think many or all Polymorph skills work the same way. This means that these skills are still useful even if you are using non-STR-based weapons.

quote:

EDIT: Oh right, I saw talk about how you still get EXP while KOd, which is good! But then I saw mention how that doesn't work on higher difficulty levels, which sounds about right for "Higher difficulty". But there are only two difficulties, so is that "Real RPG fan difficulty unlocked later" harder, or "Go play Exploration easy mode if you want EXP regardless" harder.

Two difficulties now, two more on release: Tactical, which has altered enemies (not just stats, different enemy placement) and altered AI, and Honor, which is Tactical, with Permadeath (a single save which is deleted on party wipe).

I AM BRAWW posted:

How much of the story line is in EA? In terms of hours compared to the full release, I mean.

About 25%. The game has three acts. The first and third are about 25% each, the second is about 50%.