Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I just started regularly using this in the past few months and am enjoying it a lot. I followed everyone in the OP - here's my profile: https://letterboxd.com/daveski/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I decided to not do that for movies I've seen in the past because I'd go crazy. I really like giving ratings and reviews to films as I watch them though, it makes me think a little harder about why I did or didn't like something.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

ruddiger posted:

Just hit this blessed milestone

came here to post mine but yours is definitely more blessed

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
hahaha I never knew I needed Uwe Boll movie reviews in my life.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Darthemed posted:

Kinda childish, but had to mark this milestone.

your next 111 movies must all be rewatches

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
also they list individual episodes of Black Mirror. It makes sense, they basically ARE stand alone films, but it's still technically a TV show

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

It didn't work, and had maybe 1/8th of the options.

yeah I think they used "gowatchit" instead and it wasn't nearly as good

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Allyn posted:

This is RYM's film section rather than Letterboxd, but I always loved this random guy's commitment to keeping his ratings distribution as uniform as possible:

At one point I'm pretty sure he had exactly 200 for each

this is some serial killer poo poo

do you think he gets really mad when he watches a good movie because it means his OCD will force him to watch some garbage made for TV Lifetime movie to balance out his scores?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
The Letterboxd logo on the site drips blood today, it's a nice touch.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I did one for just horror movies: https://letterboxd.com/daveski/list/the-30-best-horror-movies-of-the-2010s/

I'll probably do a best of the decade one at some point, although I feel less qualified because there are a bunch of major ones I haven't gotten around to seeing yet.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
i tried reading one of his reviews and gave up after like three sentences. it's like a parody of an insufferable art student.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 4, 2019

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I question whether that person actually enjoys film at all:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
what's the least popular film you've all seen? not counting a weird short by a film student, mine is a bad Troma thriller from 1992 called State of Mind, with 22 views and on 22 lists. The next most popular one actually less views, but is on more lists.

Darthemed posted:

Something with 5 views and 1 list appearance is sorted as less popular than something with 5 views and 0 list appearances. I kind of think the arbitrary look to the sorting is why they haven't bothered to added an option to sort it in the other direction.

were there any likes on the second film? as far as I can tell the "popularity" is just the sum of views + lists + likes

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Darthemed posted:

Weird, I'm seeing Welcome to September (3 views, 3 lists, 0 likes) sorted lower than Santa Mouse and the Ratdeer (2 views, 0 lists, 0 likes).

Huh, must be other factors going into it too. Maybe how recent the activity is?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Tarnop posted:

So I make a list of all my blu rays, tag it as owned, and then I can filter other lists to only show stuff I own?

I just tested and that does appear to be how it works. That’s a pretty cool feature!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Pillowpants posted:

Have they made it easier to just rate movies as I watch them?

I don’t remember it being ever being different but yes it’s very easy. Search for a movie, click on the Rate/Review button, rate it. Or click “Review or Log” to also specify the date you watched it and/or write something about it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Pillowpants posted:

Right but I want to be able to click a movie, rate it and then have it go to the next movie. Letterboxd doesn’t work like that

Not totally sure what you mean but there’s a “carousel” view when browsing or looking at a list. You can swipe through and rate each one without having to go to the actual page for the film.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Spatulater bro! posted:

4 stars seems to be where I tend to settle, but I feel I have a very healthy ratings distribution.

It makes sense for your average rating to be ~4 stars, assuming you are mostly watching films that interest you and that you expect to enjoy. My graph is similar.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
That's partly why I watched Verotika the other day

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Doesn’t even need to be a proper list, you can just browse by popularly, rating, year, genre, etc and you can scroll through the movies endlessly

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Ok why not https://letterboxd.com/muckle_mowser/year/2020/

Up quite a bit from 2019, no surprise there!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Raxivace posted:

I would log paintings and sculptures if I could. Let chaos reign.

hey Letterboxd, let me log that commercial where Mr Peanut dies you cowards!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Spatulater bro! posted:

Does Letterboxd/TMDB have specific criteria for when it lists a TV series and when it doesn't? I got to thinking about this when I noticed The Queen's Gambit is on there. And when does a series merit having each episode have its own entry, ala Dekalog?

From their FAQ page:

quote:

Do you support TV shows?
No, we do not support ‘returning’ TV shows. For historic reasons, we support a small selection of television content that was originally allowed by TMDb in its Movies section (limited or miniseries, TV movies) as well as some notable exceptions like Black Mirror episodes and shows that were initially marketed as limited series but subsequently given second seasons (like Big Little Lies). TMDb has since moved this content to a new TV section; as a result, some films on Letterboxd link to TV entries instead of movies (so that we continue to receive content updates).

We reserve the right to remove television-related content from our service at any time. If we remove content that you have reviewed, your review will disappear from the site, but will always be available in your account export bundle in Settings.

Basically at their discretion.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

:same:

https://boxd.it/fXNR

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
The only time I use the "like" button is when I don't give something a star rating but did enjoy it (e.g. I'll log short films or mini-series but I generally don't rate them).

Franchescanado posted:

Does anyone else get reviews anxiety for 5 star movies?

I often find it easier to write about stuff I didn't like than stuff I did like, especially on a first viewing.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

kanonvandekempen posted:

I've been watching random movies off the 'official top 250 movies history list', using a random number generator to have no choice in what I was getting. A few weeks ago I watched the fifth movie on the list: 'O auta da compadecida', a movie that is higher rated than the Godfather II, and it's complete poo poo? It has some of the top actors of Brazilian cinema, but the acting is intentionally atrocious, Everything about the movie is just really annoying, the story is a big nothing? I really wonder what is behind the absurdly high rating. There must be some social media campaign in Brazil to get this movie to the top of the website or something.

https://letterboxd.com/dave/list/letterboxd-top-250-films-history-collected/
https://letterboxd.com/film/a-dogs-will/

Seems like the positive reviews are mostly in Portuguese, so it's probably a cultural/lost in translation thing. I wouldn't go off Letterboxd scores anyway unless it's from people you follow that have taste similar to yours. There are multiple Harry Styles concerts rated considerably higher than Citizen Kane or Vertigo

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
My best of the year: https://boxd.it/jV5mW

Was going to be top 15 but I couldn’t narrow it down any further. Throughout the year I keep an ongoing list with rough rankings, and ended up with 78 films from 2022 on it. Quite a lot of good stuff this year.

1. Everything Everywhere All at Once
2. Pearl
3. The Banshees of Inisherin
4. Nope
5. Vortex
6. Glass Onion
7. Barbarian
8. The Fabelmans
9. We’re All Going to the World’s Fair
10. Decision to Leave
11. Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio
12. Prey
13. Weird: The Al Yankovic Story
14. Funny Pages
15. Avatar: The Way of Water
16. RRR

E: also did top 15 Horror films: https://boxd.it/jUAs0

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 1, 2023

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
just logged Scream VI and noticed it has a special “spoiler” button:

Love when they do little fun touches like that

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Darthemed posted:

Reaching out to y'all for any ideas on films which show people going through boarding procedures for commercial air flights.

https://boxd.it/mspzK

Stuff like Con Air wouldn't count, since that's not a commercial air flight. I've got the feeling that Air Force One doesn't count, either, but I haven't seen it to confirm yet.

what about in Cape Fear where Nick Nolte goes through the airport and hands the boarding pass to the person at the gate but it’s a fake out? Do we need to see the person physically stepping onto the plane?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Realized that all my ratings were bunching up between 3 and 4, with the most being 3.5, when 3s could be 2s and 3.5s could be threes. Contemplating re-rating my entire review catalog

Sorry about this, it’s another sleepless night

3.5-4 is a pretty normal average rating, that's where mine is too. When I pick a movie to watch it's because it's something I'm interested in and I'm more likely to enjoy it than if I were watching just anything at random.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I only “like” for things I don’t give star ratings to - usually shorts, miniseries, etc.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Detention (2011) and Detention (2019)

Haven’t seen 2019 but 2011 rules so that’s my vote for the good one

There are a couple other movies by that name too, but those two have by far the highest view count

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Anyone else log the new Mission Impossible yet? There’s a fun Easter egg that I was not expecting, a little cheesy but it made me smile anyway.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Rageaholic posted:

Yup! Fallout had it too when I logged that one about a week ago :)

Nice, I was wondering if it did it for all of them

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I don’t even own a TV :smuggo:

I watch all my movies on my phone like a true cinephile

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
yeah at $19 a year Pro is 100% worth it if you use Letterboxd with any regularity. No ads, the JustWatch stuff, filtering your feed, etc. The notifications when a movie on my watchlist is added to one of my streaming services is really handy, and the stats pages are a fun bonus too.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

I ended up with 268, so close. Although I didn’t actually finish my final movie until a little after midnight last night, so technically I only got 267 in.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Neil Marshall’s Doomsday was my last. My partner and I have a tradition of watching dumb action movies on New Year’s Eve.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I watched the two Shawscope box sets this year so every single one of my top actors are all Shaw Brothers regulars. Even if you expand it to show the top 20, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
my top directors list has a lot more variety than my top actors, plus it makes it seem like I have good taste when in reality 90% of what I watch are trashy genre films