Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon
A few weeks ago I bought a TCL 55" 4k TV from the Co. Brought it home, hooked it up to my Windows 7 Media Center PC with CableCard (still a much better DVR than Verizon/Comcast offers).

Everything was working great except some channels were screwed up and would lose audio and video and just be completely black, unless I paused it. I think the TV was trying to correct the picture or some poo poo. It was basically stuck in a constant "I'm adjusting resolution" spot.

Anyway, spent a week emailing back and forth with TCL support and they told me they are sure it's my computer (my old TV working fine must be an anomaly).

I said gently caress it, put it back in the box, returned it to Costco, and bought a LG instead (which works great). Thanks Costco for the awesome no hassle return policy!

PBUC

Got a dog too on the way out. I wish they had a non-caffeinated soda option though, the Minute-Maid lemonade is pretty poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Infidel Castro posted:

Pretty sure Sierra Mist doesn't have caffeine either

Mine doesn't have Sierra Mist :(

Mountain Dew instead.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Laslow posted:

Mug root beer is caffeine free. It’s a Pepsi product, so there’s a chance they’ve got it.

I like Mug but they don't have it either :saddowns:

I'll snap a picture of my soda disappointment next time I attend Mass.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon
I feel like every Costco I have come across is busy enough to justify opening an identical Costco across the street and both would still be quite busy.

I think everyone loves Costco and we'll never have enough of them.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon
Made a stop last night, picked up some essentials (chips, organic lemonade, thermal pants, chicken).

Also got a bottle of 20 year Kirkland Single Malt Scotch. Hope it's good, it's a gift for a friend's birthday.

Here's our lame soda machine with no caffeine free soda:

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

S-s-s-s-s-sandblast that turd

That's not what toilet paper is for... :confused:

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Flaggy posted:

Does anyone have experience with Costco Optical? Thinking about switching from my spendy as gently caress optometrist to Costco. Almost completing a total conversion to Costco, just need to switch my prescriptions there.

Costco uses an independent optometrist but has good prices on glasses. This thread seems to indicate usually an overall good experience though.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

StupidSexyVaultGuy posted:

Anyone have any experiences with those TCL TVs?

Mine acted up (flickering on some channels) with my Windows Media Center PC, but other people in this thread have reported they like them.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Whooping Crabs posted:

Those costco nut bars will destroy your rear end since they contain arrowroot powder, the same fiber packer that is in fiber one bars. Taste good but I cannot recommend

EDIT its actually Chicory Root Extract and will cause extreme gas

That poo poo is super high in fiber and great if your digestive tract can deal with it. Mine cannot, sadly.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Propaganda Machine posted:

Hey Costco goons, quick question:

I don't have a car anymore so I let my membership lapse, but I need to get a new TV soon, and probably something nicer than the lovely thing I got for $200 six years ago.

My question is if there's enough savings on any given nice-ish Costco tv to justify getting a new membership that I might use once or twice more over the course of the year, if I'm lucky. Meaning, do you save $50 (or more) by buying a tv from Costco?

If you are spending $2500, probably. If you are spending $500, probably not.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon
I've been thinking about taking the bidet plunge, but the current one at my Costco (Dedham, MA) is over $200. As generous as Costco's return policy is, that's a line I'd rather not have to cross.

Do we know if the one they are currently stocking is worth it?

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

KakerMix posted:

Bidets are best but our home is on septic and we gotta pump our poo poo out every 5 years or so anyway, I'll flush what I please.

Ex wife and I used them for years and had our own septic tank. Never had an issue and septic guy always said everything was great. I basically flush 1 per day now I'm alone, never more than 2 and only 1 at a time.

Stop using 300 every poo poo.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Xaris posted:

yeah thats pretty standard. from what i understand, and i know a few costco goons who work there can weigh in, they dont order smalls for a lot of clothe manufacturers, and when they do order sizing they often get them all at once in one order so like 10 small, 250 meds, 500 larges, 250 xls, 100 xxls, etc. wwhen the smalls run out, they aren;t ordering anymore smalls to fill the gap and just wait for the next shipment or something. and given they order few smalls, they go quick. ive had some OK luck glancing through a box of excess stock that they keep under the clothes but generally bust.

im sort of in that awkward size between small-med but just varies so wildy based on manufacturer. a lot of mediums are giant billowy pieces of poo poo so smalls fit perfect, and of course they dont have anymore or never carried them so welp. sometimes smalls are really just too tight and mediums work out fine. in general i would say costcos sizing runs a little big but its been getting a bit better than it was in the past. the medium flannel shirts i got in the fall fit me perfectly which was great.

I used to get Mediums as well and now I'm swimming in them. Apparently I'm not getting fatter at a fast enough rate.

I've been ordering their dress shirts for work off the website in their custom tailored versions and fit very nicely. I'll definitely just keep getting those in the future when I need more.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

priznat posted:

Don’t get the portable AC units though, they almost always suck poo poo (not a costco issue).

Portable A/Cs (the ones that don't go in the window) have to use the inside air they are trying to cool to cool themselves, making them horribly inefficient. Only use these if you can't possibly use a window unit.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

holy fuckin shiiiiiiit

Are these peeled?

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

These maters are used for making 'za right? I'm from NY and it's literally a shame that I don't know what the maters are for.

I make pasta/pizza sauce and usually use Sclafani or San Marzano. They aren't cheap and are sometimes difficult to find. Garbage tomatoes = garbage sauce.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon
I returned a pair of shorts yesterday that I bought like 6 weeks ago and finally got around to trying them on. Turns out they were mislabeled and like 2 sizes larger than the tag said.

Guy at the return counter told me I'd grow into them.

But also took them back without a hassle and just refunded my credit card.

PBUC

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

BaconCopter posted:

don't buy your clothes at loving Costco.

Costco has high quality clothes at a great price with an awesome return policy.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

FormatAmerica posted:

What the gently caress???

Some have a liquor store sharing a corner of the building, but it's a separate company.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Zuur posted:

I work at the Kirkland church. Can confirm there is one that comes through here with a cat once or twice.

Can you convince them to make an inventory search tool? I know they want people wandering the aisles, but it'd be super awesome if I could know which of the 3 houses of worship near me I should go to in order to find specific items that are not always carried.

It'd be like praying and getting an actual response.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Xaris posted:

one of my favorite ones was when i stayed at an airbnb in boston near back-bay and went to that TJ which was some dingy basement that you have to take an escalator down to.

I work a block from that TJs, I'm in there every week and it's a good store.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Renegret posted:

We got self checkout at my Costco a few months ago and this is exactly what happens. It ends up being no faster than just going to a regular checkout line. The self checkout lanes don't have nearly enough space to work, so you a ton of people clumsily trying to balance their purchases as they scan while their cart is still half full.

For a few years I was only close to a BJs, and the one near me had a tiny self checkout with a hand scanner. It was amazing. You left everything in the cart and zapped it all then you were done.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Burt Sexual posted:

Yeah it’s like a building for some warehouse company that went tits up two years in, Costco swept it up the next year. Let me see if I can find a pic, probably not.

E nm my posting goons could play dox the mod with tineye

The Waltham, MA Costco has parking underneath it. It's very tight and there's lots of concrete columns everywhere.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon
I saw (organic) Strawberry Lemonade at my Costco a couple weeks ago. Picked up a 2-pack to try it out. It's pretty good, but now I can't find it anymore. Gone already?

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon
I frequently get the vanilla frozen yogurt (I wish they'd bring back chocolate though, acai isn't great) instead of a dog. It's not amazing yogurt, but it's a big cup for ~$1.50 and it's been loving hot lately.

I'm actually glad it's not actual ice cream as I'm lactose intolerant.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Fallom posted:

I saw a Costco employee dumping onions into the onionizer and mixing them around with her bare hands

No different than the clergy at any other church.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

sandball posted:

I think the Costco coffins are one of the few items that specifically state they are non-returnable.

But what if I'm not satisfied with my coffin?

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Xaris posted:

Same here in California. Often smalls are out almost all the time, mediums are usually well-stocked but sometimes go out for more limited-items, and then it's swimming in Large, X-XXL sizes. Pants 36 and up are abundant but getting a even 32 can be a pain and when I was a 30 almost no 30s. Gets worse if you're looking for like 32x30. I was also looking for some water shoes and everything left was like 12+ and the ~10s were gone.

I've just been ordering clothes off the website. The selection is huge, shipping is free, same price as in the store (at least as far as I can tell), and I return anything that doesn't fit or I don't like to the store. I keep ~85% of what I order.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

SirPablo posted:

At church, taking the plunge on a $10 Sherpa.

Got one of these last night, feeling blessed.

Also Dedham, MA Costco now has alcohol in the store!

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon
I feel like we've seen this before:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/11/business/costco-5-dollar-chicken/index.html

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon
Moving in a few days, gonna go measure the new seat tomorrow.

Bio Bidet or the Brondell? Almost the same price.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Xaris posted:

yeah thinking about that one. any issues with it? did you go with round or oval?

I went with the BioBidet - installed it a few days ago. It's pretty awesome and pretty easy to install. No regrets on this one.

The instructions only insisted on a grounded outlet (that I'm remember), not GFCI specifically. But if you install an outlet in your bathroom make sure it's GFCI as that's code.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon
Went this morning on mother's orders to get pumpkin pie for tomorrow. It was clearly a holy day of obligation but everyone I encountered was polite and the registers were moving quickly.

Got a berry sundae on the way out.

Feeling thankful for Costco.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon
BJs isn't bad, far better than Sam's for sure. Costco has a better store brand, better return policy and customer service, and amazing hot dogs with soda for $1.50 (with refill).

They both sell a lot of the same brand name products. I found BJs a bit more consistent with stock - Costco seems to have things appear and disappear more often.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Noslo posted:

Like a true bachelor, I've put off all Christmas shopping and I plan to go to Costco first thing tomorrow morning.

Any recommendations, kids or adults, for cool gift ideas, in the $20-$100 range?

I always get so overwhelmed in the 'Co... I'm hoping to find some stuff to look out for based off recent positive purchases.

tia

Sherpas, flashlights, Jamon's, Hot Dogs + soda (with refill).

Don't miss the few aisles around the tools section, usually in the back right.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

TraderStav posted:

Been about a month with the bidet (two weeks since swapping out the camode for an elongated) and can report it is indeed life changing. There are times that I don't go #2 but still use it just because I'm not feeling so fresh.

Same here. Best investment of the last decade for me.

You go, hit the button for a full cleaning cycle, staunch the bleeding, and you're done. You leave with confidence of a man who has been properly power-washed.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

FogHelmut posted:

Use a digital meat thermometer, screwing up and telling everyone that well done is good will be a thing of the past generations.

Suis Vide is also an excellent way to prepare tenderloin. Especially if you end up with different sizes of steaks.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

silence_kit posted:

I bought the three can pack of San Marzano tomatoes from my Costco a couple of weeks ago.

drat I wish they carried these in Mass. I currently order tomatoes from Amazon to make sauce because the grocery store stock is pretty much entirely trash.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

extravadanza posted:

Do you guys not have these https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/Nina-Imported-Italian-Peeled-Tomatoes%2C-106-oz.product.11880390.html at your Costco for like $3? I use this to can sauce per my grandpa's (approximate) recipe. Usually combine 3-4 tomato cans with a 1.5 liter costco wine and buttload of oregano into Ball jars. Lasts months.

Barry posted:

No Red Gold? I make a fair bit of sauce and usually buy some form of DOP San Marzanos but I feel like Red Gold Whole Peeled are just as good (and in some respects, better).

e: Muir Glen are great too

I've only seen Pastene in Mass, and it's not the same. I currently usually use Sclafani.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

ranbo das posted:

I actually had the opposite experience. I got a chair as a gift, tried to return it with the original receipt and got denied repeatedly.

That's very unusual for costco.

I've returned a bunch of things - mostly clothes. They don't carry my size shirts in store (usually small) so I order a bunch from the website and return ones that don't fit well.

Also returned a TCL TV about 2 weeks after buying it because I just couldn't get it to work with Windows Media Center (kept flickering on premium cable channels). Support was worthless and blamed my computer (which miraculously works fine with the new replacement LG and my old Samsung TV).

At this point I'm happy to pay a bit more than other places just for the awesome customer service and return policy.