Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Do you think Ben cries himself to sleep every night?

What do the tears taste like?

Possibly sugar. Not even joking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Today I learn that every company is crowdfunded because they get money from customers.

Tippis posted:

CRobber. CRobber never changes.

Or at least his understanding of physics and of space never does. Kind of impressive for someone who claims to have “taken physics classes” at Manchester. Maybe he meant some grade school, rather than the university, because that's about the level of his grasp of the topic…

I think we all know why he dropped out of college.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

TheAgent posted:

this well

this is just fantastic

lol

Carrier deck operations in a space ship is pretty silly. I'm pretty sure the ships would just be ejected out via some automated contraption. Whether that be torpedo tube style, flinging them out of a wider bay, computer controlled departure, or something even more innovative, invoking modern aircraft carrier launching procedures just shows an absolute and complete lack of imagination.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

What does it pay to be the guy who waves his hands around to direct space ships? What are the button combinations to wave your hands around? How many shitizens are drooling at the opportunity for this job?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

It's been bugging me for a while, but how does search and rescue work?

Does the lost person just have to log in to their account, and spend all their play time floating helplessly in space, or stranded in desolate nothingness on a planet, for days on end, until one of the search and rescue players manages to find them? Sounds like tons of fun.

Batte tax.
http://i.imgur.com/b9YCAwm.gifv

Somebody tell me how to link gifv, I've forgotten.

Edit: Fixed the gifv, thanks lazorexplosion

XK fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 9, 2016

XK
Jul 9, 2001

lol Good poo poo. You know one of them really does want that job, until they actually have to do it.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Sappo569 posted:

If sq42 ever comes out its going to be like a FMV game from the 90s isn't it ?

This is what I've been predicting. There's no way you could use that much specific scene oriented mocap without locking the scene into a prescripted play of actions. The guy mocapped mopping could be background poo poo, but the mocap of multiple people moving around, talking, and interacting with each other could only feasibly be some kind of cutscene. There's also stuff like the mocap of soldiers carefully stacking up at a doorway to prepare for entry. What if the player just runs right through? Has to be a fully controlled scene.

If it's like Half Life 2, where you could hop around the room like a lunatic ignoring everyone else while they carry out their bullshit dialog, that's one thing, and immersion breaking. If you're locked in and have to watch that poo poo as a captive audience, woo boy. I suspect Roberts is going for the latter.

I still want to know if you can skip cutscenes.

The mocap prices quoted in this thread have been $100,000 per minute, that includes all post processing work required to clean everything up and all artist and technician work required to make it look good for the final project. I have no doubt that work is being skimped on, resulting in stuff like their Top Gear knock off guy still having artifacts of the painted on face lines being visible.

The pure raw capture price was several grand per minute, not sure we ever got a solid number on that. The Imaginarium does have a minimum fee that was quoted in these threads somewhere.

XK fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 9, 2016

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Sappo569 posted:

Even If the game locks you into a cutscene it would take someone all of 2 minutes to figure out a way around it , console tricks and what not

Remember back in the day when you could go online and download no-cd cracks and patches to disable all the start up videos for a game ?

And it will make Crobbers absolutely furious that someone would alter his magnum opus vision, I hope the cameras are rolling when the first cut scenes skipper is shown to him

You could usually skip those start up videos by just deleting the video file. Skipping in engine cutscenes is another thing entirely.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Jason Sextro posted:

CR will probably have SQ42 engineered so that trying to avoid his cutscenes will brick your computer

Anyone who posts a way to skip the cutscenes will get death threats.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

At this point, I'm certain CIG is taking money out of the hands of mental health care professionals.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

lazorexplosion posted:

gifv goes in url tags instead of img tags

I did try that, but it didn't show up right in the post preview. Just edited my post and see that it does work when posted.

Thanks, lazorexplosion.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

DogonCrook posted:

So I'm guessing the clothing tech has been dropped? I mean it's in game here, where the gently caress is it in sc? So all they had to do was convert that system to their game (both cryengine) and they couldn't manage? Instead they poo poo out a half assed version that is ironically the central feature of the current alpha and core gameplay loop, doing poo poo to buy clothes...

I can't wait to see the scientific paper on their layered clothing technology. The algorithms to efficiently handle clothing layers would be ground breaking. I hope it wasn't all just something in crobbler's head.

Like, duh, just make the clothing not clip through each other. How hard could that be?

Just do it!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Spend several dollars to wreck everyone, or spend several hundred to get a piece of poo poo space ship. I guarantee CIG is nowhere near being capable of having any kind of anti-cheat technology in place, and it's likely on the priority list just before custom servers. I doubt they even have the employee talent to do anything about high level cheating involving network sniffing or code injection.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Everyone seeking a refund should be refunded for the value of everything in their account, with the only exception being evidence of some kind of money laundering or other monetary fraud.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Any complications about refund value involving ship gifting is a complication CIG presented onto itself by allowing those transactions to occur. Get the full value of your account, or contact the various government agencies if they refuse.

California Attorney General, the Los Angeles County Department of Consumer and Business Affairs, the Federal Trade Commission, and any applicable authorities local to you.

https://oag.ca.gov/consumers
https://iddweb.isd.lacounty.gov/dca_ecomplaint/
https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

XK
Jul 9, 2001

There's a ship with a part marked parking sensor on it?

I remember seeing some picture with a thing circled talking about parking sensor, but I guess I didn't look close enough. I thought people were just making fun of faked gun locations or something, and circling a tiny feature where the shots appear to come from.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Tippis posted:

No, the rocket launcher-looking part in question was very explicitly labelled as an actual parking sensor.

wow

Can somebody repost that?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

holy wooooow

That's just mind boggling.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I would not be surprised if they dump out 2.6 immediately before Christmas break, just to be able to say they did, then let it fester without any attention into mid-January.

Parking sensor:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Wrecked Angle posted:

:laffo: Check out this guy on the Something Awful forums. What a pleb...

That guy is really poo poo. He will, maybe, eventually, figure out how this site works, if he lurks more.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

That should be a pretty easy commitment. SQ42 is a single player game.

quote:

they could be forced by UK law to do so. How will they prevent this?

I'm sure Chris Roberts will stand up against national intelligence laws to protect you.

XK fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 10, 2016

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I hope 5 eyes doesn't find out about all my underaged virtual space sex slaves.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

A man is being executed by hanging from a bridge. When he is dropped, the rope breaks, he plunges into the raging currents below. He rides the river for several miles to escape. He finally crawls on shore, and he's in luck, there's his Aquilla Constellation. He hops aboard to begin an endless series of amazing adventures, and begin his path of becoming a space hero.

The Constellation starts spinning wildly, clips through the ground, and the man finds himself in a black void.

He feels the rope jerk violently upon his neck.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

CrazyLoon posted:

Thought I might actually read and not skim over a post or two of the new additions to this thread...but no, fuckin' lovely Star Citizen fanfiction just had to make me feel like a fool for even considering it.

That guy's biggest problem with his stories is it's all exposition. Long tracts of exposition are just boring as poo poo to read, and totally non-engaging. It's not even Star Citizen fanfiction, by the way, it's Spore fanfiction (Spore fanfiction, what the gently caress?), and random concept writing exercises.

They could almost be interesting to read, if not for all the exposition. There is the problem where if you remove his boring parts, all the interesting parts come from the original proposition, which he didn't even create.

He's still better than 50% of the population at writing, but that's saying absolutely nothing.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

CrazyLoon posted:

I did like SimYouLater getting into a shouting match with the other team of self-described writers tho.

More posting of SimYouLater vs InfoRedux plz Mirificus. :allears:

SimYouLater getting into an argument with Brenda_Info_Redux is some fantastic "worlds colliding" poo poo.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Foo Diddley posted:

True, but

...this was the best Twilight Zone

Stop at WilloughbyStar Citizen?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

TheAgent posted:

yeah chris basically did :eyepop: when he was told the costs

They're already leasing tons of infrastructure from Amazon, what with their poo poo patcher and the already existing online component of their poo poo universe.

Are you telling me that Star Marine is going to blow up those costs that much more?

It's not like anyone is going to be playing babby's first FPS CryEngine SDK demonstartion after a month.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I don't understand how a CryEngine SDK FPS will have a dramatic impact on their hosting costs beyond what they are already paying for patch distribution and their current online garbage. Please explain.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

So, they're already skimping on CPU time. I can easily accept that.

Does babby's first FPS take that much more CPU time than the universe they've already put out? I guess lack of CPU time would be much more noticeable in a fast paced FPS than the awful space ship combat they currently have. I'm just surprised the cost difference would be that big.

I'm going to continue to completely ignore the fact that hosting a fast paced FPS on cloud server infrastructure is just embarrassing.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Daztek posted:

Titanfall 2 would like a word with you

They did cloud based fast action FPS well? Good on them. Is it a game oriented cloud service, or are they using a general service like AWS.

It's always been my experience that cloud stuff will have more lag than dedicated infrastructure. It doesn't absolutely need to be that way, but it commonly does seem to be that cloud emphasizes storage and bandwidth over ping times. I know cloud stuff has been getting better and better all the time, but I'd still be surprised if a general purpose cloud service approaches the performance of dedicated servers.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

He really likes that threat about having some kind of power he has to restrain so as to not violate constitutional rights.

If he even works for the government, he's probably a mail worker or low level office drone.

Hurry up and sort that mail Gremlich!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

Also - and I'm afraid I'm stating the obvious here - even giving Gremlich the benefit of the doubt and taking him at his word that he's some kind of Turbo G-Man or whatever, how loving mentally ill do you have to be to threaten to leverage the power of the federal government against someone because they made fun of a video game on the internet?

Assuming he did work in some kind of position where he would have any kind of legitimate authority to threaten Constitutional protections: It would be a really impressive and embarrassing way to lose your job as an FBI agent or similar, wasting years of effort, and gaining a permanent black mark on your record against getting any comparable government jobs.

I had a great job as a special agent, but I blew it all on trying to get warrants against some person posting bad things about Star Citizen.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I don't care what context he is doing it in, dude is invoking Vilerat. wtf

Why even bring that up?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Mokinokaro posted:

I'd assume he's in one of the reddit EVE corps. Remember, he's self-diagnosed with Asperger's.

I guess so, but it's still weird to see.

All those Goons are awful, except for the dude who died in Benghazi, because Star Citizen.

If it didn't come from someone as unhinged as him, I'd likely care a lot less.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

DapperDon posted:

Considering I am the only person in my neighborhood cluster (next to Washington D.C.) that is not a ranking official for some 3 lettered agency, I am quite friendly with everyone and some of us actually game together. The interesting this is that I have brought SC up once or twice and nobody has really heard of it but had a raised eyebrow or two over the money raised. The people in these agencies that actually have the power to gently caress your day up and wipe their rear end with the Constitution have taken years and decades to get to where they are. They just don't hand you the keys to the Kingdom as soon as you are out of training. They are career minded and as serious as they come. At no time do they even consider abusing their power one loving bit and police the hell out of their own community to ensure it stays beyond reproach. Integrity is everything with these people and their salaries, which is VERY nice at that level.

Yeah, that's pretty much par for the course.

Anyone who is responsible and mature enough to actually have worked themselves into a position with any power like that isn't going to be threatening people with it on Reddit over a space ship video game.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

just loving lol if Crobbers had the balls to put a stop order on his payments to Crytek.

"Well we've really changed it so much it's not even like the one we got from you." :v:

Truga posted:

What are the chances of CIG making a contract for big bugs with crytek in 2013, and then promptly backing the gently caress out when being told their snowflake game would cost too much in cryengine and pouched a bunch of intern dudes instead?

I meant bux not bugs, but the typo is better tbh

e;fb

It was my understanding, possibly just assumed, that CIG's purchasing of a source license was a one time deal. I could be wrong, and the details of the deal are probably a matter of a private contract.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I have the power to invalidate your Constitutional rights, but I won't, because I'm just that great of a person. You never know, though, so stop talking bad about my favorite video game. I'm putting you on my list.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

I genuinely have no idea how the mechanics of licensing like that work, so I just default to the funnier option. It would make way more sense if it was a single-time purchase though.

Crobbler licensing CryEngine as a contract with ongoing payments, which he defaults on, would be the funniest scenario. I think he probably got a sweetheart deal back in 2011-2012 when they did the original demo work for him, and probably finalized it after the initial Kickstarter success. I'm open to being surprised, though.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Mirificus posted:

TheGremlich:

After a long career in the military followed by continuing government service, I am having some free time to be a photographer. Not a professional photographer, mind you, because I cannot guarantee the consistent results demanded by the exchange of legal tender for services to be rendered.

just lol

Sounds like a really scary guy with a lot of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

HycoCam posted:

Hey you don't think Santa is going to put anyone on the naughty list for talking bad about Star Citizen, do you? Asking for a friend.

I'm sorry to inform you, but we're all getting coal.

It's candy coal that comes in a tiny pail with a little hammer.

It's sickening and heartbreaking strong licorice flavor.

Our Scandinavian friends will be happy with it.