Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I'm 27, Australian, female, and I just graduated a good university with a History/English B.A. I really, REALLY need a job so I can financially support myself, but I've got two major problems: I have a severe learning disability that is getting in the way of goddamn everything, and I have no solid work history/no references.

I suffer from the maths form of Dyslexia. This means I can't safely handle money, cashier work, phone numbers, addresses, appointment times, driving or anything you can think of that requires being able to correctly write down numbers. Highlights of previous work attempts prior to my diagnosis include 'Handing customer back more money than he paid as change,' 'Giving people the wrong day to show up in appointments,' and 'Oh, I'm driving on the wrong side of the road?' I am with Centerlink, however they set me up with a "job hunting agency" that simply gives me a sheet of paper every month and advice on how to use google. They also ask me why I can't just count on my fingers. Fun!

My disability has cut out most of the entry-level job options I've been able to think of and/or try. No call centre work, no cashier register work, no pizza delivery work, etc.

Things I am good at: Organising paperwork, 90 wpm typing speed, smiling politely at rude people, working nightshift, I'm relatively fit and... I can write a mean essay?

I'm not good for much, I'm out of ideas, I'm miserable from all my previous failures, and I need some help. Where can a person like me find work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Australian here.

I never realised such a form of dyslexia exists. I have a very mild form of reading dyslexia, I can understand how you feel... but can't imagine, this must be very tough on you.

Having gone through centrelink system, I've got a few suggestions, some you may not like but please try and be open minded about them.

First I am going to highly suggest you get treatment (if you arent currently) for your condition. Unfortunately it is something that may never be cured and you may forever be battling it. Finding help is extremely import because not having basic math skills will negatively affect your life. I am sorry to be blunt but I'm really worried that someone will take advantage of you.

1. Consider applying for disability. I don't know if you qualify but if you have such a severe case of Dyscalculia, it may be an option. Take this as a the first step of treatment for your condition.
  2. Apply for Woolies or Coles or Bunnings as a shelf packer. This is dodgy but don't mention your condition, if they dont ask, dont tell. But only apply for positions that do not require handling money or operating equipment.
  3. Apply for a job as an admin person at a Uni. I don't know too much about this option but I work in a university setting and there are a lot of administrative jobs that require no math skills and never use any.
  4. Online jobs, checkout this thread. I know there's an aussie who does transcript work. With your degree and typing speed you'd be a good fit for this job.
    http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476455
  5. Surveys for extra cash. I use pureprofile.com and I've made $100 in the last month. Figure out what the survey wants and answer accordingly (this is not ethical but....). There are a few more, google for them.
  6. With your degree, have you looked into journalism as a profession? They're wordsmiths, perfect fit for you.
  7. Contact your university student services and see if they have anything to help you achieving employment.
  8. Are you any good at art? Drawing? Design? You may consider going back to uni or TAFE for more study in something that might increase your job prospects.
  9. Get in contact with organisations that will help you. For example I know of ADA (http://www.dyslexiaassociation.org.au/) which also has a lot of self help resources. They will also preassess you, which may help in achieving disability status if you wish.

quote:

I'm not good for much, I'm out of ideas, I'm miserable from all my previous failures, and I need some help. Where can a person like me find work?
You successfully completed a degree from a prestigious university yet you say you are "not good for much?". Quit saying such negative things, they aren't helping you or yourself esteem.

Sorry for being blunt.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Dyscalculia is much less commonly known than Dyslexia. Honestly, I got extremely lucky even finding out I had it, because I didn't know that type existed until my early twenties when I got sent to a neuropsychologist testing. Sadly it's not really treatable at this severity, but as for being taken advantage of, I've already set up systems to avoid that with the help of some professionals. I don't handle cash bigger than a $5 so I can't hand over the wrong note/get the wrong change and not notice, all my bills/payments are auto-deposits and withdraws to avoid me trying to manually handle them, I have very simple bank accounts with no major fees/interests/etc. to track and I have a highly functional email calendar for all appointments. Thank god for technology!

1) I have all my paperwork relating to disability, but I don't qualify by the government's standards since I'm theoretically full-time employable and perfectly capable of working. Right now I'm just on the unemployment benefits.
2-5) I will do that tonight and look into the online jobs! There's actually a gigantic Bunnings opening up this year nearby and in walking distance, so I'll make a note to hand that one in the minute it opens. Survey-wise, I do google surveys but they only ever give me a couple of dollars a month max. A transcript job would be perfect for me if I can find one with no maths, since I can type all day and night without problems.
6) I haven't tried, I have nightmares about accidentally reporting 120 injuries or something ridiculous instead of 1 and it going to press.
8) I do art as a hobby, but I'm not commission-tier and likely won't be for a few years minimum. Not going to lie, I dream of becoming good enough to rake in that furry money because I am perfectly okay with being unethical for cash.
9) I didn't actually think of using dyslexia organisations since I have a weird off-brand version, good thinking.

... And yeah, I'll try to be more positive. It's a bit hard when you're struggling with a really sensitive issue and less than helpful people treating you like they expect you to shove crayons up your nose, but I'll try to keep my concentration on what I can do. Less moping is on the agenda! Thanks so much for all that effortpost, I didn't even see the online jobs thread.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Forklift driver?

Easy enough to get a ticket as long as you can front up the $1000 or so, the theory test might be a problem with some simple maths things, but it's one of those things where as long as you look like you're comfortable in the practical parts the testers will usually make sure you pass the theory as they know it's mostly bullshit anyway, and there always seems to be a decent demand for it (including nightshift work) and generally pays a bit more than minimum wage.

The problem is a number of those jobs probably require picking and packing as well, which is counting, but there's also plenty of nightshift jobs around where it's just unloading/loading linehaul trucks while the drivers sleep, and in those jobs you just have to take pallets off the truck and put them somewhere together until there's no more pallets left on the truck and then put on a bunch of pallets that should be all organised together until there's not more left to put on. You'd be looking at the big players for something like that, Tolls (their NQX branch especially if you live in central QLD does exactly this kind of work) or Linfox. Typing that just made me think there's probably a job in the big department store/supermarket distribution centers where it's just loading trucks, it's more manual as Coles and Woolies moved to the weird trolley things instead of pallets while back now, but they also require a lot more manual labour to load/unload, and same again, it's a job where it's just keep pushing carts on until there's no more left.

If you live in a coastal city with a port, maybe hand unloading containers? The only counting is probably going to be counting up how many items on a pallet, but there'll be multiple other people around responsible for the same thing to and probably not going to care if there's one person who's not counting.

Put both those ideas together and maybe working on the docks? I'm not sure if the problem is just about maths or numbers in general, if it's just maths you should be ok with working on the docks, but if it's numbers than that'll be a problem as every container has a 4 letter and 7 number identifier.

Also just sitting here thinking, working in a car wash or car detailing in a car yard? No numbers required, pretty much all about what you can see.

Same again with cleaning positions, again the industrial jobs are the ones that will be proper full time and pay OK, if there's an abattoir in town I guarantee you they have a full time afternoon/nightshift cleaning crew, or contract one from a 3rd party, and I can tell you from 8 years experience in that industry that the bar for those kinds of jobs is set extremely low if you're an Australian citizen. (sorry, not trying to make that sounds offensive)

EDIT: Was going to PM this to you, but seems you don't have them on, if you are interested in something like that and don't know if there's an abattoir around, my 8 year stint in that part of the workforce saw me working for a couple of different companies who all together have processing plants in NSW, QLD and SA and I also know where pretty much all the other processing facilities are through out QLD, NSW, Vic, and SA , so if you want to email where you live I can point you in the right direction with maybe a contact or at least the companies name and location. My email is [my username]6@gmail.com, and I can guarantee the barrier for entry is extremely low if you can tolerate some dirty work, probably 70% of the workforce doing that kind of job is someone on a working holiday Visa so they usually jump at the opportunity to put on an Australian who'll stick around more than 6 months.

Baggage tosser at the airport? Customs stuff at the airport?

Sorry if all these seems like total left field blue collar stuff, they're just the area's I'm most familiar with unfortunately.

Is there nothing in this new NDIS stuff that's come along recently that might help? Maybe applying for NDIS based jobs? In saying that as well, any government job is supposed to be completely unbiased and based solely on the applicants ability (yes I know that's somewhat of a fairytale, but some departments do try and abide by it) if you're not already checking the various government job sites.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 4, 2017

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Rudager posted:

... Was going to PM this to you, but seems you don't have them on, if you are interested in something like that and don't know if there's an abattoir around, my 8 year stint in that part of the workforce saw me working for a couple of different companies who all together have processing plants in NSW, QLD and SA and I also know where pretty much all the other processing facilities are through out QLD, NSW, Vic, and SA , so if you want to email where you live I can point you in the right direction with maybe a contact or at least the companies name and location. My email is [my username]6@gmail.com, and I can guarantee the barrier for entry is extremely low if you can tolerate some dirty work, probably 70% of the workforce doing that kind of job is someone on a working holiday Visa so they usually jump at the opportunity to put on an Australian who'll stick around more than 6 months.

Baggage tosser at the airport? Customs stuff at the airport?

Sorry if all these seems like total left field blue collar stuff, they're just the area's I'm most familiar with unfortunately.

Is there nothing in this new NDIS stuff that's come along recently that might help? Maybe applying for NDIS based jobs? In saying that as well, any government job is supposed to be completely unbiased and based solely on the applicants ability (yes I know that's somewhat of a fairytale, but some departments do try and abide by it) if you're not already checking the various government job sites.

It's numbers in their entirety, so anything with them is out including counting and theory, and NDIS isn't helping since I'm in the cursed position of 'not disabled enough to be disabled by government standards, exactly disabled enough to be struggling to find work.'

However, I definitely don't mind blue collar work ideas! I've never done it before, but I'm not squeamish, a job is a job and money is what I care about. Until I get financially independent I'm very reliant on my single mother, and, well, that's weighing on me heavily. I'm not very physically big or strong, so I don't know about hauling super-heavy things around, but cleaning sounds perfectly manageable. And right now? I love low bars as long as they come with a living wage. I'll get in contact with you!

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Off-topic, but have you considered doing an Ask/Tell thread?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Per posted:

Off-topic, but have you considered doing an Ask/Tell thread?

I think (god, I hope) I'm in the right subforum for employment, so do you mean about my Dyscalculia? I don't mind talking about it, it just doesn't seem very interesting.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I think starting a thread could help others who are experiencing similar things. Who knows, maybe it'll inspire you to start a blog about living with your condition which will become a microbusiness of yours which will lead to you getting some money. Boom!

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
You've got a point, and it's really not as if I'm doing anything else right now besides surveys for cash (Thanks, Lump!)... So here's an ask/tell thread for any questions:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804102

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I know a young lady who is the exact same age as you with this condition. She teaches jiu jitsu. She's really loving good at it. Just throwing that out there.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

deathbot posted:

You've got a point, and it's really not as if I'm doing anything else right now besides surveys for cash (Thanks, Lump!)... So here's an ask/tell thread for any questions:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804102
drat it shoulda given you a referral link! Btw with pureprofile you can only cash out every 2 months, so save up $50 (the max) and cash it out.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 5, 2017

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I like your a/t thread, hope you haven't forgotten you made this one.

You seem like you have strong emotional intelligence. Have you considered spending some of your time volunteering with a cause you enjoy? If it's a good organization, they should have volunteer management that can find a spot for you. Be clear to them about what your capacity is, but it may turn out they're looking for a copy editor or someone who can put together a newsletter. You'd be a volunteer so there's little risk in losing the position but it could open up a lot of possibilities to network and it would help you pad out your resume.

In short, volunteer some place, if they're halfway decent they'll find good, meaningful work for you that can help you network to a real job or prepare your resume to look better.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Where are you living?

Also, Ideas:

Software quality assurance analyst: you basically have to test out bug fixes and new features in software. I don't think you'd necessarily need to use numbers at all.

Technical writer: I don't know if entry level jobs exist where you are; my undergrad was in English and I couldn't find one, but ymmv.

Martial arts instructor: might take several years to get there, but you can train part time. In particular, I used to go to United Studios of Self Defense, and while it's not totally illegitimate, it does seem fairly easy to get your own dojo going. I had several friends that did it, one was a very skinny young lady and another was a middle aged man who was not in great shape.

Constant content: you can write essays/articles and sell them. May be just a shorter term option.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Have you considered journalism, fiction writing, non fiction writing, teaching, therapist, that sort of thing? You are good with writing, speaking and social skills. For low-skill things, I guess nanny, nursing home assistant (nothing where you have to dispense medication though!)

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Don't worry, I'm still here! Doing that A/T just took a lot more attention than I was expecting, since I wasn't expecting anything at all. I live in Sydney in the eastern suburbs, within about half an hour by public transport to the CBD.

For volunteering, I've actually booked into a meet and greet slash volunteering training opportunity at one of the big organisations near the end of the month! I've also looked up a more local organisation, but I'm going to have to go in person just to work out if they're still open since their website seems a little dated. I used to volunteer a lot in my teenager years, since I was a junior girl guide leader so I did work with the red cross, etc. and looked after the little kids. If anyone does have recommendations for good places to volunteer in Sydney, lemme know since I'm just going by the seekvolunteering type of websites.

I actually used to do contact MMA a long time ago. I'm not the fittest puppy right now, but if I can get a training course that doesn't require me to cough up ridiculous amounts of cash that's definitely an avenue I can pursue. I have been laser-focused on short term opportunities since I want a job nownownownow and not more schooling (I actually qualified for honours but I like money) but part time is doable. I also enjoy punching people.

Things I've been doing since I've started this thread:
- shoved my online resume for shelfpacker into all the Coles I can reach in a reasonable length of travelling time (That is, beneath one and a half hours each way). I'll try to do Bunnings today.

- Signed up for a volunteering meet and greet.

- I put in for my 'working with children' and 'national police check' ... check, which I'll hopefully get soon enough. This'll let me work with vulnerable people and hopefully open up more options in terms of elderly/childcare/just padding my goddamn resume.

- Contacted my local library to see if they have any book clubs running in 2017 I could join because my god is moping around alone in my home driving me insane after four years of a busy university schedule, and I need to get out of my house because my cats aren't great conversationalists.

- Using swagbucks, pureprofile and google rewards I have earned... $8! It's not exactly a stunning accomplishment, but hey. Free couple of lattes?

Oh, and off-topic and perhaps slightly E/N, anyone have ideas for other social clubs I could look up? I like books, and art, and the outdoors in moderate quantities when it's not summer, but it's hard to find adult social clubs versus the infinite list of kiddy results.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I have a volunteering trainee slot in a food warehouse on Monday, which will hopefully let me know if I am able to work in a warehouse in a low-stress environment where money isn't on the line. Unfortunately, I have to get up at 4:30am to get there... But I'll manage. I also highballed an application and I have an interview for a position as a researcher at a different charity, when I wasn't even expecting a response!

If it works, I hope I'll get a reference from them by the end of Jan/Feb and I'll be able to shove some recent work experience on my resume.

I'll update to tell you all how Monday goes afterwards, whether in celebration or immense whining.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
If I understand correctly you've got a job interview? That's awesome!

Good luck!

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Today went badly, and I got a bunch of rejection emails today for my Monday wake-up.

Operation "Find rich man, throw self in front of vehicle, sue." Inches higher up the employment options list, but I'm going to try again to get into a disability employment agency rather than the useless guys they've put me with.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

deathbot posted:

Today went badly, and I got a bunch of rejection emails today for my Monday wake-up.

Operation "Find rich man, throw self in front of vehicle, sue." Inches higher up the employment options list, but I'm going to try again to get into a disability employment agency rather than the useless guys they've put me with.
I know that feeling, sorry that sucks :(

Centrelink can be real bastards when it comes to meeting their dumb requirements. Hopefully the agency is on their approved list but either way try to get connected with them.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I'm a Special Education teacher. If you are just now finding out that you have this disability, I presume you did not get special instruction in math when you were in school. So you don't actually know yet if you can't do math...there might be methods you haven't heard of for doing things which could allow you to improve drastically. Can you at least count reliably? Can you not recognize numerals reliably, or are your issues mostly with operations/algorithms?

There's a guy with dyscalculia at the graduate school where I got my SpEd degree. His job is programming statistical software and making sure the researchers get their math right. If you can get beyond arithmetic, your disability might not actually hold you back.

I don't know if this is the case in Australia, but there are always lovely call center jobs available in the US; and I can assure you those people can't do math.

At least you're getting a reply when you're rejected.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

VideoTapir posted:

I'm a Special Education teacher. If you are just now finding out that you have this disability, I presume you did not get special instruction in math when you were in school. So you don't actually know yet if you can't do math...there might be methods you haven't heard of for doing things which could allow you to improve drastically. Can you at least count reliably? Can you not recognize numerals reliably, or are your issues mostly with operations/algorithms?

There's a guy with dyscalculia at the graduate school where I got my SpEd degree. His job is programming statistical software and making sure the researchers get their math right. If you can get beyond arithmetic, your disability might not actually hold you back.

I don't know if this is the case in Australia, but there are always lovely call center jobs available in the US; and I can assure you those people can't do math.

At least you're getting a reply when you're rejected.

I'm unreliable about everything and, to be honest, I've have such an awful time with maths teaching that you'd literally have to knock me out and drag my unconscious body to get me into any special instruction even were it available in Australia.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Bad news: No job.

Good news: Going to visit a gothic horror book club on Thursday, and I have two volunteering meet and greets on the weekend followed by a potential volunteering interview for a research spot. None will lead to a job, but at least I'll not be moping at home.

??? News: Applying for an education certificate course which will let me teach ESL students, I've been poking at purelife and swagbucks for a couple of bucks here and there, and I even did a bit of fanart I'm mildly okay with looking at.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
It sounds like you're physically and mentally fit except for dyscalcula. Which does keep plenty of options open for you.

A couple of ideas...

Security guard

No math required, just have to stay in shape and be able to make a loud noise and help out if something goes wrong.

Housekeeping for a hotel

No math involved, except maybe some basic counting of sheets/towels/etc. at the beginning of your shift. Even if you miscount, the worst consequence is "get more sheets/towels, or put some back."

Neither is glamorous, but they're better than nothing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I would not have recommended warehouse work to anyone who can't do numbers. Sorry it did not go well.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Childcare is an option that should not be affected by your disability. I know several nannies and you really can do much worse for a career. That work is not for everyone (there's lots of responsibility, lots of bodily fluids, and often weird hours), but the pay and perks for a personal nanny gig are surprisingly generous. Typically includes a small amount of housework like laundry, basic cooking skills are a plus but not usually required.

If you've got any babysitting experience and enjoy the company of 2 year olds, it's probably an option. Works best if you're in driving distance of some affluent suburbs. In my area, Care.com seems to be the go-to place, no idea if that's a thing in AUS.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I remember reading once upon a time that the most common reason people choose to major in Early Childhood Education is that it has one of the lowest math requirements. (That said, you should have a pretty good handle on concepts if not practice if you're going to actually be good at educating young children.)

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

VideoTapir posted:

I remember reading once upon a time that the most common reason people choose to major in Early Childhood Education is that it has one of the lowest math requirements. (That said, you should have a pretty good handle on concepts if not practice if you're going to actually be good at educating young children.)

This is probably going to vary depending on where you are - my brother's studying it in Australia and he has to do at least one maths unit every semester, or a couple per year. Not saying that that's a lot of maths necessarily, just that it's probably more than you'll want to be dealing with if you struggle with dyscalculia.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

deathbot posted:

Bad news: No job.

Good news: Going to visit a gothic horror book club on Thursday, and I have two volunteering meet and greets on the weekend followed by a potential volunteering interview for a research spot. None will lead to a job, but at least I'll not be moping at home.

??? News: Applying for an education certificate course which will let me teach ESL students, I've been poking at purelife and swagbucks for a couple of bucks here and there, and I even did a bit of fanart I'm mildly okay with looking at.

Post your art plz

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Suspicious Lump posted:

Post your art plz

If you make fun of me I'll cry into my cats. It'll be tragic esp. since I'm wearing make-up and no one wants mascara in cat fur.

Anyway, good news: I just signed a 6 month contract as a volunteer researcher today! It's not paid (hence the volunteer) but it'll give me something to do and it's for a really good organisation. They were very friendly and excited to have me on board, and we've already discussed the project I'll be supporting. I'm still hunting for paid employment, and I promise I'm listening to everyone's suggestions and thoughts even if I haven't responded the past few days. It's been too hot to type, and I hate Australian summer.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Signed a contract as a volunteer? That's very strange. Nonetheless congrats!

Your art is good. Have you looked into commission work for fanart projects? I've heard furries will pay $$$ for custom art work. Also people who are obsessed with animated shows might pay for R34 stuff. It might not be your thing but could generate some serious $$$.

P.S Who's the blue dancer meant to be? I've seen that character from somewhere.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
It's working with sensitive subjects and cases, so it's mostly just a confidentiality agreement!

I've never tried to look into commissions. My art is substandard compared to most people that do it, and more importantly I don't have anything resembling a standard style/quality since I'm still learning! So I wouldn't be able to guarantee two images to be of the same tier of work, or even that I could do what's requested. It's a pretty saturated market full of people with years of experience and lots of followers already. Though I will happily take $$$ for questionable art subjects whenever I reach that stage.

The character is Blue Pearl from Steven Universe, she's a minor character but I love her design.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Maybe yoga instructor? There are probably physical jobs which are short of the level of physicality slash fitness of martial artist :)

It also seems like copy writing for non technical places might be a good fit? V easy to do online to start, but could also do it in person.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Maybe yoga instructor? There are probably physical jobs which are short of the level of physicality slash fitness of martial artist :)

It also seems like copy writing for non technical places might be a good fit? V easy to do online to start, but could also do it in person.

I'm not very flexible, but that's something that comes with practise. I've been planning on adding more intense stretching to my regular routine. I'll keep it in mind! And copy writing would be a skill I have except I've found it's all fun and games until I somehow end up with being expected to write up numbers.

Things I'm doing right now:
- I got into a 120 hour TESOL course in May! I should theoretically be able to do it since I did manage my degree. We'll find out.
- Lots of volunteering! Besides the charity research position, I did a convention, I'm volunteering at one of Sydney gay and lesbian Mardi Gras events later in the month, and some art tours.
- Going to the gym once a week for weightlifting and other ~intense exercise~. I'd also be running at home but it's so drat hot. It's just. Why? Why is it so hot..?!
- Doodling at least once a day.
- Spanish in Duolingo, because might as well...?

At least I'm keeping busy, even if I am poor.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
Your artwork is actually pretty good! Like, neither of us are gonna be in the Louvre, but I bet you could totally offer commissions to people. Join a fandom community, explain your situation, and offer to do quick drawings for money (i.e., non-colored drawings for $5-$10, colored full portraits for $15, three portraits for $30, things like that). Your work is pretty and I think it's in a style that a lot of people would eat up.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

legsarerequired posted:

Your artwork is actually pretty good! Like, neither of us are gonna be in the Louvre, but I bet you could totally offer commissions to people. Join a fandom community, explain your situation, and offer to do quick drawings for money (i.e., non-colored drawings for $5-$10, colored full portraits for $15, three portraits for $30, things like that). Your work is pretty and I think it's in a style that a lot of people would eat up.

I can't think of anything to say but aww, shucks. Thanks! I might give it a bit more practise because I can't produce that level all the time - heck I can't even make things look the same day to day - but I'll try to get up my confidence in the next month or so, with plenty more practise. I'd feel awful if I gave someone subpar work so I want to make sure people get what they pay for.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

deathbot posted:

I can't think of anything to say but aww, shucks. Thanks! I might give it a bit more practise because I can't produce that level all the time - heck I can't even make things look the same day to day - but I'll try to get up my confidence in the next month or so, with plenty more practise. I'd feel awful if I gave someone subpar work so I want to make sure people get what they pay for.

You ever see a photo of a really nice weld from a master welder?
Thing is that welder makes ten or twenty loving ugly welds that do the job for every one that some dickhead posts going "this is real craftmanship"or whatever (don't worry, your arts not ugly). All that I'm saying is don't sell yourself short, even a master fucks up on a regular basis, that's how they got to where they are.
Worst case your client complains and you redo something, but realistically you're your own harshest critic, work like you posted, if you put yourself out there, will be desired and even if you think a particular piece is sub par there's a better than good chance the client wont .

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I'm very familiar with people and commissions - I know some friends who do gorgeous art, commissions, etc. on a regular basis - and I know how saturated the market is, and how far I have to go before I can dream of meeting that ideal, so it's a long shot even if I undercut to have anyone pay me. But gently caress it I'll at least do a portfolio, I guess, and see what other people say.

If anyone does have other suggestions, I'm still diligently reading this thread and working on every opportunity I can get.

coolusername fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 17, 2017

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I think you're missing what people are saying or maybe not. While your artist friends are aiming at (I think) the conventional market, people here are saying to aim for niche markets like fandom who pay decent money for work that might not be something you'll be proud of. Unless you mean all your artist friends are drawing MLP, furry and R34 art, then ignore the above!

I think you're heading in the right direction by doing TESOL, have you considered putting up ads for tutoring English? Target foreign students and parents for 1on1 tutoring. A good place is gumtree ads. Also put up flyers at unis, TAFEs (Or whatever it's called in your state, VET?). Put out feelers/ads on facebook, join FB groups for mothers and advertise, also buyswapsell pages usually allow for advertising. Charge something reasonable but never undersell yourself, of course advertise that you have a degree in english. I did something similar for fixing macs and made good money for how much work I put in. I think a reasonable rate for starting out would be around $25/hour, you can start upping it later on when you get more comfortable. I've seen ones that say first lesson (30mins) is free, which I guess it's because I imagine it would be figuring out what the other person wants to learn, how they learn etc and then the second lesson you can charge em.

Also, you should hit up the postgrad office and see if you can advertise your services as a proof-reader for thesis submission. PhD/Masters generate huge documents and they want someone to go through and check mostly for spelling and correct sentence structure and also correct formatting. You can say you won't worry about checking their numbers and will assume they're correct. Not sure about the arts but in science the referencing style is important and the citation managers ALWAYS stuff it up, so having someone go through that and check for correct formatting is huuuge help. These students have looked at their thesis for the last 6 months and are sick of looking at it and would appreciate help. As a PhD student, I think I'd pay between $100-200 for this service.

Good luck!

P.S I'm also learning spanish using duolingo and its great for learning nouns but I found it doesn't really teach you words like want, have, when (adverbs?) until very later on and they are the most useful ones imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Suspicious Lump posted:

I think you're missing what people are saying or maybe not. While your artist friends are aiming at (I think) the conventional market, people here are saying to aim for niche markets like fandom who pay decent money for work that might not be something you'll be proud of. Unless you mean all your artist friends are drawing MLP, furry and R34 art, then ignore the above!

I think you're heading in the right direction by doing TESOL, have you considered putting up ads for tutoring English? Target foreign students and parents for 1on1 tutoring. A good place is gumtree ads. Also put up flyers at unis, TAFEs (Or whatever it's called in your state, VET?). Put out feelers/ads on facebook, join FB groups for mothers and advertise, also buyswapsell pages usually allow for advertising. Charge something reasonable but never undersell yourself, of course advertise that you have a degree in english. I did something similar for fixing macs and made good money for how much work I put in. I think a reasonable rate for starting out would be around $25/hour, you can start upping it later on when you get more comfortable. I've seen ones that say first lesson (30mins) is free, which I guess it's because I imagine it would be figuring out what the other person wants to learn, how they learn etc and then the second lesson you can charge em.

Also, you should hit up the postgrad office and see if you can advertise your services as a proof-reader for thesis submission. PhD/Masters generate huge documents and they want someone to go through and check mostly for spelling and correct sentence structure and also correct formatting. You can say you won't worry about checking their numbers and will assume they're correct. Not sure about the arts but in science the referencing style is important and the citation managers ALWAYS stuff it up, so having someone go through that and check for correct formatting is huuuge help. These students have looked at their thesis for the last 6 months and are sick of looking at it and would appreciate help. As a PhD student, I think I'd pay between $100-200 for this service.

Good luck!

P.S I'm also learning spanish using duolingo and its great for learning nouns but I found it doesn't really teach you words like want, have, when (adverbs?) until very later on and they are the most useful ones imo.

Well, one of them does...

Referencing is a hell I know well, especially when both departments want different styles but... well, proofing would be a problem because I can't actually check for date, page number, journal volumes etc. But English tutoring might work!

O right and guys? Don't hit on a lady working the door at an event by opening with talking about your dead mother and trying to get behind the desk to touch her shoulder. Just. A suggestion...

Though speaking of working doors it turns out my ability to repeat the same greeting over and over again while being friendly is useful! Now if i could find a paying job asking only that of me

coolusername fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 25, 2017

• Locked thread