Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome goonlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2014, refer to archives]

2014:
January: Ursula K. LeGuin - The Left Hand of Darkness
February: Mikhail Bulgalov - Master & Margarita
March: Richard P. Feynman -- Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!
April: James Joyce -- Dubliners
May: Gabriel Garcia Marquez -- 100 Years of Solitude
June: Howard Zinn -- A People's History of the United States
July: Mary Renault -- The Last of the Wine
August: Barbara Tuchtman -- The Guns of August
September: Jane Austen -- Pride and Prejudice
October: Roger Zelazny -- A Night in the Lonesome October
November: John Gardner -- Grendel
December: Christopher Moore -- The Stupidest Angel

2015:
January: Italo Calvino -- Invisible Cities
February: Karl Ove Knausgaard -- My Struggle: Book 1.
March: Knut Hamsun -- Hunger
April: Liu Cixin -- 三体 ( The Three-Body Problem)
May: John Steinbeck -- Cannery Row
June: Truman Capote -- In Cold Blood
(Hiatus)
August: Ta-Nehisi Coates -- Between the World and Me
September: Wilkie Collins -- The Moonstone
October:Seth Dickinson -- The Traitor Baru Cormorant
November:Svetlana Alexievich -- Voices from Chernobyl
December: Michael Chabon -- Gentlemen of the Road

2016:
January: Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog!) by Jerome K. Jerome
February:The March Up Country (The Anabasis) of Xenophon
March: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
April: Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling
May: Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima
June:The Vegetarian by Han Kang
July:Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees
August: Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
September:Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
October:Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
November:Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
December: It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis

Current:
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut

Amazon link here: https://www.amazon.com/Mother-Night-Kurt-Vonnegut/dp/0385334141

You can find it for free online with a quick google, but I'm not sure about copyright here so I won't repost the link. (Or, y'know, visit a library, people).

There is also apparently a free version on Audible.

About the book:

quote:

Mother Night is a novel by American author Kurt Vonnegut, first published in 1961. The title of the book is taken from Goethe's Faust.

It is the fictional memoirs of Howard W. Campbell Jr., an American, who moved to Germany in 1923 at age 11, and later became a well-known playwright and Nazi propagandist. The action of the novel is narrated (through the use of metafiction) by Campbell himself. The premise is that he is writing his memoirs while awaiting trial for war crimes in an Israeli prison. Howard W. Campbell also appears briefly in Vonnegut's later novel Slaughterhouse-Five.

Themes and Background

Yup, we all know what we're talking about here. So it goes, people, so it goes.

Pacing

Just read, then post.

References and Further Reading

As for last month.

Final Note:

Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys the book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Reading a Vonnegut book at the start of each year has become an accidental tradition for me. Mother Night was gifted to me by The Grey in the Secret Santa this year, so I jumped on it early.

I just got to the reveal that Helga is really Reni, and I really love how the idea of Action/Intention and You-Are-Who-You-Say-You-Are plays into everything. So far, this is easily better than Slaughterhouse 5 for me.

edit: Look at this awesome book cover!

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 4, 2017

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Hands down my favorite Vonnegut book and I'm always down for a re-read. Nice choice!

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Agreed that it is my favourite Vonnegut. Probably due for a re-read. I think it was just the superbly weaved metanarrative that sold me.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Gonna third that motion. Definitely one of the better Vonnegut works. I pretty much know it off by heart now, but I'll never turn down an opportunity to re-read it.

The part with Eichmann always gets to me. Two monsters meeting for very different reasons, but probably just as complicit as each other, in their own way.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah arguably my favorite Vonnegut as well (although I like some of the stories in Welcome to the Monkey House enough to contest it); will also reread as soon as I am done with my current books

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
This is a really good book, I almost read the whole thing in one sitting, but it will have to wait until tomorrow. It is only my second Vonnegut book mainly because I read Cat's Cradle and it didn't interest me at all.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Looking forward to this; Vonnegut was an important influence on me in my formative years (read a ton of his stuff when I was in middle school) but somehow managed to skip this one.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Just picked this up from the library last night. It's been too long since I read Vonnegut, so I'm kind of excited.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just finished it this morning.

That was a hell of a book, now solidified as my favorite Vonnegut.

I'm post some thoughts on it in the near future.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
This was really a great book, as I said previously. It had a lot of elements of Cat's Cradle which I did not enjoy as much, but seemed to work a lot better here. There is some good moral ambiguity and a great story that unfolds in a really compelling way. If anything, it was too short.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 7, 2017

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I have checked this out from the library. Just need to force myself to finish my current book of essays by an insufferable idiot first before starting this. Looking forward to it as I only read Slaughterhouse Five, and that a long time ago.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Just checked, and yes Mother Night has the highest Goodreads rating of all his books.

Good to see the system works.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Read it in one sitting, I like it better than Slaughter House Five, but I'm glad I read that one first as Campbell's brief appearance stuck in my mind, and Mother Night expanded on it in a way I found really fulfilling. I imagine reading the two books the other way around would alter the reading of his Slaughter House scene.

My favourite part is his first reunion with his handler and his meeting with his father in law. Campbell's living paradox is something I don't think I've ever really come across before.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Halfway through. Died laughing from the scene with the bunch of old Nazis and their equally old and equally racist old black driver/friend. Whoever told you Chinamen were coloured?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Groke posted:

Halfway through. Died laughing from the scene with the bunch of old Nazis and their equally old and equally racist old black driver/friend. Whoever told you Chinamen were coloured?

That was great. There's a later scene that plays on this exact dynamic but from the perspective of "the boss" of the group of Americans that ambush Campbell, Resi and the rest of the gang. I love how when confronted by the basic hypocrisy of hating all non-Aryan races with a group of mostly non-Aryan racists, Jones says "We all want the same thing" without being able to define anything further, his logic stuck in a strange loop.

Seriously, a character that became a white supremacist from a mix of paranoia and dentistry that only confers with non-whites is hilarious and on-the-nose. The fact that he's one of the most genuine and at-face-value persons Campbell knows was oddly satisfying.

The book just manages irony on every level so drat well.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think I packed my copy away along with Sirens of Titan. drat.

But I'm thinking about that scene where Campbell was dragged to see some Nazi atrocity, and to the disappointment of his captor reacted with complete indifference. That might have been Vonnegut's personal experience speaking, because I was browsing a book about the immediate aftermath of WWII in Germany (Kind, versprich mir, das du dich erschiess by Florian Huber), and that exact same sentiment is described there. When confronted with truth the Holocaust, most Germans tended to be indifferent because they were wrapped up in their own problems after the collapse.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 10, 2017

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Done, was obviously great the whole way through.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Groke posted:

Done, was obviously great the whole way through.

Yeah. I just finished this morning as well. I particularly laughed at the "Here was persecution!" to start chapter 39. It just seemed so fitting to everything.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I think that this is tied with Slaughter-House Five for me. Mother Night is the better-structured narrative, but I think more about things in SH5.

That being said, I love-love-love Mother Night. I love the narrative framing, I love the humor, and I love the last third of the book.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I want to hear thoughts on the book ending with Howard's suicide.

I thought it was a major move for the character to finally make a decision about something, to finally take charge of his life and destiny (drenched in irony), but when I explained it to my girlfriend, she seemed horrified by the idea and that I would find poetic justice in it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Okay, I'm in for (I think) my first BOTM. I read the first 1/3 of the book last night; loving it so far. Haven't read any Vonnegut in years and even then I've only read maybe 3 of his books (the big ones: SH5, Breakfast of Champions etc.). Really loved the ending to chapter 4:

"After we finished hanging Hoess," Mengel said to me, "I packed up my clothes to go home. The catch on my suitcase was broken, so I buckled it shut with a big leather strap. Twice within an hour I did the very same job - once to Hoess and once to my suitcase. Both jobs felt about the same."

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm now about 2/3 through. Thought this part was unfortunately relevant in 2017:

I had hoped, as a broadcaster, to be merely ludicrous, but this is a hard world to be ludicrous in, with so many human beings so reluctant to laugh, so incapable of thought, so eager to believe and snarl and hate. So many people wanted to believe me!

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Groke posted:

Yeah, Vonnegut did a great job exposing the arbitrariness behind most racist ideology in just a few lines of dialogue.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

I am about a quarter of the way through it, and I'm loving it. It's amazing how he can blend humour with really serious and profound passages.

I loved the part where he talks about numbness and trauma, and how after awhile a job is just a job - particularly the part with the Polish guard describing how putting a belt around a hated Nazi to hang him and putting a belt around his suitcase later felt exactly the same, just another job.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I read it in the first week, forgot to post about it here. It is probably one of his best books, but I missed some of the zaniness that's dear to me in drew me to Vonnegut in the first place. This seemed a much more somber book - or maybe it's me who's changed, as re-reading Slaughterhouse-5 nearly two years ago made me notice the sadness permeating the novel much more than the first time(s) around. I think Vonnegut is one of those authors who change a lot, depending on whether you read him in your teens or later in life.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Burning Rain posted:

I read it in the first week, forgot to post about it here. It is probably one of his best books, but I missed some of the zaniness that's dear to me in drew me to Vonnegut in the first place. This seemed a much more somber book - or maybe it's me who's changed, as re-reading Slaughterhouse-5 nearly two years ago made me notice the sadness permeating the novel much more than the first time(s) around. I think Vonnegut is one of those authors who change a lot, depending on whether you read him in your teens or later in life.

I dunno, considering this is the third book he released, it fits. Player Piano is pretty somber, and while Sirens of Titan has its moments of zaniness and out-there ideas, I found it incredibly depressing. This is the first that really captures that Vonnegut irony, the snarky matter-of-fact attitude and soft somber indifference. It has way more comedic beats and moments than the other two.

That said, I love the tone of this book. Somber but self-aware.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I meant, compared to his novels that I read first (an omnibus edition of Slaughterhouse 5, Breakfast of Champions and God Bless You, Mr Rosewater).

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Vonnegut is kind of a cultural blind spot for me. I liked this, and whatever ones I read in high school (I know SH5 and BOC for sure, maybe Cat's Cradle) what would you say are his best 3? I'll add them to my pile for this year.

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I read this and liked it, the encounter with the 10-year old Nihilist and father-in-law was my favourite part of the book. I haven't read a lot of Vonnegut but have to say that in the end I liked SH5 a little more for its perfect blend of sadness and absurdity.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The Berzerker posted:

Vonnegut is kind of a cultural blind spot for me. I liked this, and whatever ones I read in high school (I know SH5 and BOC for sure, maybe Cat's Cradle) what would you say are his best 3? I'll add them to my pile for this year.

You've already read his strongest novels for the most part, but my favourite Vonnegut is The Sirens of Titan. I've also got a particular soft spot for Bluebeard and Timequake. Galapagos and Jailbird are generally considered to be among his better works, but they seem a little bit lifeless to me.

I'm hopelessly biased, but I don't think any of his novels are exactly bad (even Slapstick), though, so just read whatever sounds appealing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Old Story posted:

I read this and liked it, the encounter with the 10-year old Nihilist and father-in-law was my favourite part of the book. I haven't read a lot of Vonnegut but have to say that in the end I liked SH5 a little more for its perfect blend of sadness and absurdity.

That was brutal.

Symbolism talk: the dachshund is a the small loyal hunting pup, used to sniff out it's enemy, jump in holes and chase out critters for the hunter to catch. It's name is of German origin, something like "badger hunter". It takes on a bigger enemy without fear, and they're dogs with a strong, playful personality. Resi's pet dachshund is starved, sick, and shaking. It's hair is falling out. Resi is petting her inner child, which has been malnourished from the war. She is shell-shocked, pushed into apathy by cruelty and depression, a hopeless life. When the man she claims to love approaches her, she drops the dog, allowing it to plop to the ground, no longer caring. Howard kills the dog as a "mercy killing", or to prove he can, or because he's afraid of judgement from his peers. It's the only creature he pulls the trigger on, directly kills. The ironic twist: Howard is unwilling to pull the trigger and stand up for something he believes in, which culminates in Resi's wanting a show of Love. By not "pulling the trigger", Resi takes her own life. Howard kills her inner child, she grows to love him anyway, and he kills her again by refusing to stand for anything. Consider that the symbol for this is a "wiener dog", and that Howard's refusal is impotence in action.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Those are some mighty big thoughts about a little dog. Seems to fit though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ben Nevis posted:

Those are some mighty big thoughts about a little dog. Seems to fit though.

Scroll up, you'll see that my copy puts the dachshund on the front cover. It's not there by accident.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Scroll up, you'll see that my copy puts the dachshund on the front cover. It's not there by accident.

I'm going to blame my boring library copy with no dust jacket and plain rust red binding for missing that.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Really enjoyed this. Second Vonnegut, after reading Cat's Cradle last year. I feel pretty similarly about this as I did Cat's Cradle, which is to say it was fantastic. Kind of ashamed to have not read any Vonnegut earlier in my life. Definitely good at having really poignant moments counterbalanced by absurdity and nihilism. Something about his simple writing style really underlines those poignant moments.

I've kind of been unconsciously sidestepping reading Slaughterhouse 5 for most of my life, for whatever reason.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just read it. It's very good, but I don't think it's his best.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I forgot what a blisteringly quick read this is. It's hard to stop reading, especially when each chapter goes so quick and is so full of Vonnegut's wit. Still my favorite of his but I have to read (and reread) some of his others.

Franchescanado posted:

I want to hear thoughts on the book ending with Howard's suicide.

I thought it was a major move for the character to finally make a decision about something, to finally take charge of his life and destiny (drenched in irony), but when I explained it to my girlfriend, she seemed horrified by the idea and that I would find poetic justice in it.

It's interesting on several levels: first, it comes right at the moment that he would finally be proven right. It is almost like he preferred being misunderstood and separated from the general public as a martyr, being punished for his crimes and for surviving when so many - including his wife - died.

This also allows him to finally be judged on the entirety of his actions, and maybe on some level this scares him. There is a recurring theme about how his actions as a Nazi propagandist did more to help the Nazi cause than anything he could have done to hurt it - his father-in-law outright says it, and at least in my copy the introduction begins with Vonnegut explaining that the moral is "we are what we pretend to be". Maybe even with "Frank"s testimony he will still be found guilty of everything he did, and be seen as this purely evil man.

Also I think it ties into some of his romantic writing from his past. He talks about how he missed his heroic chance to die after his wife did, how he likes a beginning, a middle and an end. Maybe he thought the "evil" Howard J. Campbell hanging himself for his crimes was a better ending for him than the alternative.

I know these don't necessarily all tie together but they are just some thoughts about the ending.

The Berzerker posted:

I mentioned above but I really like Welcome to the Monkey House which is a collection of his short stories. I tend to like short story collections from authors when they get to explore a bunch of cool ideas without overstaying their welcome, and someone as imaginative as Vonnegut really compliments the format.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

I forgot what a blisteringly quick read this is. It's hard to stop reading, especially when each chapter goes so quick and is so full of Vonnegut's wit. Still my favorite of his but I have to read (and reread) some of his others.

It's interesting on several levels: first, it comes right at the moment that he would finally be proven right. It is almost like he preferred being misunderstood and separated from the general public as a martyr, being punished for his crimes and for surviving when so many - including his wife - died.

This also allows him to finally be judged on the entirety of his actions, and maybe on some level this scares him. There is a recurring theme about how his actions as a Nazi propagandist did more to help the Nazi cause than anything he could have done to hurt it - his father-in-law outright says it, and at least in my copy the introduction begins with Vonnegut explaining that the moral is "we are what we pretend to be". Maybe even with "Frank"s testimony he will still be found guilty of everything he did, and be seen as this purely evil man.

Also I think it ties into some of his romantic writing from his past. He talks about how he missed his heroic chance to die after his wife did, how he likes a beginning, a middle and an end. Maybe he thought the "evil" Howard J. Campbell hanging himself for his crimes was a better ending for him than the alternative.

I know these don't necessarily all tie together but they are just some thoughts about the ending.

I mentioned above but I really like Welcome to the Monkey House which is a collection of his short stories. I tend to like short story collections from authors when they get to explore a bunch of cool ideas without overstaying their welcome, and someone as imaginative as Vonnegut really compliments the format.

You made me consider that Howard's freedom would be the same as his inprisonment and his spy work, at the behest of "Frank", essentially making him a puppet even in freedom. He'd be free on someone else's terms. By killing himself, he would finally be taking action over his fate. He won't be free, or alive, but he'd have control on his own terms, which is a lot: he's broken, bereft of emotions and a will to live, he spends the novel going through motions, but finally he has made a decision, a big decision, which no one can take away or be reversed, and he's doing it with confidence, and even finds humor in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

I finished the book. It really is hard to put it down when you are reading it. The chapters are short, but I would always just read the first sentence of the next chapter and then be unable to stop because it was so interesting.

Franchescanado posted:

You made me consider that Howard's freedom would be the same as his inprisonment and his spy work, at the behest of "Frank", essentially making him a puppet even in freedom. He'd be free on someone else's terms. By killing himself, he would finally be taking action over his fate. He won't be free, or alive, but he'd have control on his own terms, which is a lot: he's broken, bereft of emotions and a will to live, he spends the novel going through motions, but finally he has made a decision, a big decision, which no one can take away or be reversed, and he's doing it with confidence, and even finds humor in it.

There are those couple of scenes in the book where he finds himself unable to move without someone telling him what to do. The doctor's mother sees in him what she saw in the people at Auschwitz who would be unable to move and were just desperate for someone to tell them to do something. By begging the doctor to call someone so he can stand trial for his crimes, he's finally making some kind of choice. I think you're right that Frank is offering him a return to the prison in which he spent so much of his life, of passively letting others decide his fate.

In his final meeting with Frank, Howard asks who knows who he really is, and Frank comments that the three people who know the truth about him know exactly who he is, that he can't separate the "good" Howard from the Nazi propaganda Howard.

• Locked thread