Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RandallODim posted:

Not disagreeing about cool guy Shun Akiyama deserving his own game and being the best, but the thing that brings him into the plot in 4 is that he's lent a bunch of money to a yakuza organization, and is super invested personally in Arai so I don't think you can say he's got no connections. It's the same laid-back charm and general good-heartedness as keeping an eye on Haruka that elevates him above that. Akiyama just wants to believe in people's potential!

His intro in 5 is great.

"Aw man, you guys busted up my new printer! ....oh, wait, you're seriously trying to shake me down for protection money? HAHAHA, OK, time for sweet air juggles".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Section Z posted:

I finally started taking the fight to extortionists (Thanks, encounter finder). I have come to respect them as wonderful people. Hopefully past this chapter 9 stuff, I'll have a chance to do it with Majima before the main plot train goes too off the rails.

You can do it buddy. You can make it to space :allears:

I wish I knew as well, yeah. It's a real bitch to figure out for Majima because high speed knife combat doesn't really have the same concept as bare hands or even baseball bat based combat.

At least with Kiryu who I've recently unlocked it for in Chapter 9, more things pop out. "Oh hey, the forward front flip kick I finally unlocked for Brawler now happens with Dragon style:".

PS: Everyone talking about how "Well Majima's upgrades cost less!". It would be nice if that also applied to his legendary grid :argh: (Not that I've got the CP to uncap the billion yen edge for either of them yet :downs:)

Oh right, this reminds me. Give your main ability grids some love before investing in the legendary grid too much. Filling out every initially available legendary health bubble, gives you about the same health as a single normal style final health upgrade, for example. I expect similar results apply for the damage boosting nodes, where splurging on your expensive 4th power up in the main grid is as good by comparison.

Kiryu's is also helped by the fact that it's literally just "how he plays in the other games" so if you've played a previous game you'll have a decent grounding in how that works (I had forgotten that the dropkick used to bounce him back to a standing base, for instance, but it quickly came back).
Majima was only playable previously in a game where his main mode of attack was "shoot in head with shotgun", so it's harder to parse what moves he 'should' have unless you were obsessive about watching his boss patterns in the other games.

Can I also, on a totally different note, point out how great the localisation job Atlus did is? It's so nice having pretty English graphics for the enemy intros instead of just the kanji and a bland subtitle, and they even romanised the karaoke lyrics so you can sing along!

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 18, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Question for goons who've played RGG6 already, very important: Can Kiryu learn to do the Rainmaker from Okada?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Awww :( The NJPW tie-in seemed like the obvious way to get new moves by Kiryu defeating each guy and learning one of his big moves in return.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I'm replaying the part where I need to gather information about the Odyssey, and I'd like to get the trophy for gathering all the info before negotiating. So far, I've talked to the guy on Bishamon bridge, and I've eavesdropped on the two guys just south of the Odyssey. There should be one more conversation that I need, but I haven't found it. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

There's a wannabe hostess on the south side of Bishamon I think.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DrNutt posted:

This is definitely the worst and most frustrating minigame in the game. Just terrible.

If they HAD to have it, they could have had it be fully interactive and make each girl have one of the styles in the game, and maybe some of the ones from 4 and 5. (On the other hand, at that point it's very similar to the arena in Osaka)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Just pick the blonde girl with the glasses cause her stats are insane. I wound up winning the progress-related fight after a single game of janken.

The girl in the green bikini is fairly strong too, however, so if blondie is against her, it's more a toss-up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

enojy posted:

The karaoke is by far my favorite mini game so far, mainly because each song is a hallucination into a faux music video.

Bakamitai might not be. I can totally buy Kiryu singing soulfully into his whisky glass.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, anyone have any tips for fighting Amon as Majima? Please note, I have lovely reflexes for things like the tiger drop.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I cheesed it with a bunch of zap guns after failing a dozen times.

Kiryu's version I also sort of cheesed the first half, but the gimmick for the second part is clever and totally fun and doable. Hell, the first part isn't even that hard, just tedious.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

All the subtitles are great and I hate that we never get them.

"Like a Dragon 5: Fulfiller of Dreams" is the greatest title.

I think 6 is getting the subtitle? I've definitely seen Yakuza 6: The Song of Life a few places.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doc Morbid posted:

Charon Martinez is a jerk.

+1

Why is he so much harder than the other douchebags in the arena? I swear, he's just got i-frames in his idle animation or something because I attack and it does jack-poo poo and he's not even blocking or dodging.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kikkoman posted:

I'm playing 0 right now and I just got access to the Japan Catfight Club.

I made 500k easy but I don't think I'll ever set foot in there again.

Now... just hear me out, what if the girls were wearing insect themed bikinis that were just as skimpy, and instead of betting money, you traded cards with tweens?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Beelerzebub posted:

They should have kept it at 1 style and progression the same as in the original or replace brawler with Dragon style and made it not poo poo imo. Also, how do you stop bosses from regenerating health?

Unlock the Essence of Extreme {Blank} for each form, then when they go into regen mode, switch to the style that matches the colour of their aura and you'll get a special Heat prompt.

Dragon style also gets fairly useful once you get far enough into Komaki to unlock the 'does more damage to boss enemies' upgrade. Plus the Tiger drop and some of the other Heat actions like the counter for flanking attacks.

Majima at S rank is starting to get the Mr Shakedown problem of not being hard per se, just being a wall of HP.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

KingShiro posted:

Charon M. should be the big bad in the game.

He's actually really easy once you level up Dragon enough. Like 2 Tiger Drops and he's done

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
For anyone who played Kiwami on import before the localisation came out (and understands Japanese... which I believe is like 3 goons) how much of Rina's dialogue/story in the hostess quest is there in the original, and how much of the English version is the localisation team trying to salvage things?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

Playing Kiwami I got to a part I totally forgot about. Is Haruka psychic or something and they never follow up on that ver?

The dice thing? I think it's just supposed to be that she's pure and innocent, and thus naturally lucky.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I know it's about 80% Japanese cultural sexism and 20% not wanting to show Haruka getting beaten up, but I think they could've done some kind of high school gang stuff with her to avoid having 40 year old dudes smacking her around. Have her fighting other teen girls that are being used as pawns in some kind of convoluted conspiracy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
reddit dude: Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami are two of my favorite games released this year in North America. I love that we have been getting the games in the west and am looking forward to seeing the localization for Yakuza 6.

For Yakuza 6, are the New Japan Pro Wrestling characters present in the game going to be localized into the western version? NJPW is becoming popular in America, so I am hoping so as a big fan of both Yakuza and NJPW.

Sega guy: Thanks man. Yes, the NJPW guys are all in the game.

TRANQUILO.

First, really happy about this. But also scared that the music licencing crap will prevent them from having the Rainmaker theme.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RandallODim posted:

The one with the expanded version where he follows it up with a two-foot stomp on the dude's face and upper chest? Yeah, that really was superior to the face punch.

Yes. Yes it did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTMVfahkgNA

If this game doesn't get localized it will be a crime against me personally.

Is it literally called Hokuto ga Gotoku? Cuz that makes it sound like (and it looks like) a RGG game with a licence. I mean, people are hoping for that anyway, but I mean that literally. Like it's just Yakuza 0 but with a Hokuto no Ken skin.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Yakuza Kiwami 2 has another NJPW tie-in, whereas Yakuza 6 had a bunch of current stars Kiwami 2 has many of the classics.

https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/910682510287265792

Masahiro Chono, Riki Choshu, Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Tatsumi Fujinami, Genichiro Tenryu, and The Great Muta.

And following in tradition with Yakuza 6 having VF5 Final Showdown as a PS4-exclusive port buried in a Yakuza game, Yakuza Kiwami 2 has Virtual On!

Isn't Tenzan in Y6 also?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MrJacobs posted:

2? How the gently caress does that work since 4 was the new hotness during Y1/Kiwami and this is only a year later? Would you still play it in the arcades or is there a saturn console somewhere that you get to use?

There's a non-zero chance that the Majima segments are flashbacks so they can have ponytail Majima (yes, I know he got his bowl-cut and jacket immediately after the end of 0, shut up) back and not have to worry about what Crazy!Majima does when he's not hiding in a giant traffic cone or crashing heavy vehicles into buildings.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Gonna be weird playing what is basically a Yakuza game with English VO.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

This changes a lot in YK2

Being drunk and walking is almost its own minigame

Only if you're at 8 booze or more. Any less and it's the same as always, a slightly higher encounter rate/aggro range.

Also, they're very aware that people like that cabaret mini-game, huh? I just played the FOTNS demo and they make it very clear it's in there too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's also not like they just ported it because they were being lazy either, there's a bunch of other side activities that AREN'T in other Yakuza/RGG games, so they specifically made sure to bring the hostess minigame over.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As opposed to in Kiwami 2, where he's a lonely old man paying to film custom gravure videos?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Onmi posted:

4 has a few absolutely amazing moments. My top 3 all being relegated to the Kiryu chapters. The prison guard thinking he can take Kiryu and Kiryu just being "that's adorable" towards him. Katsuragi flat out telling Kiryu that he refused to deal with him unless Kiryu went through a gauntlet of his men, because unlike Nishikiyama or Ryuji, he'd rather like to live. Not that it saved him, and finally, all four of the villains expressing just how utterly hosed they are because the plan hinged on the critical factor that Kazuma Kiryu did NOT GET INVOLVED. But now Yasuko is dead, so the plan is hosed.

What about 5: Where the end of act 1 has Kiryu face an ENTIRE loving ARMY with tanks, RPGS and all, and THEY'RE the ones scared of HIM.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Crabtree posted:

How weird is Lost Paradise? Like do they just go straight laced Fist of the North Star or does dancing naked guy show up as a bandit?

Based on the demo, Kenshiro becomes a bartender, a masseuse and runs a hostess club.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Bear in mind the Fist Of The North Star game that comes out today is made by Team RGG (who make Yakuza) and is basically just Yakuza with an anime skin. (Oh, and Kenshiro absolutely HAS killed a man)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

FotNS is on the old engine, right? It’s gonna be hard to go back because the Dragon engine is so much smoother.

Hot take, but I like the old engine better in a lot of ways. The fighting feels so sluggish and limited in the Dragon engine games. Sure I can smash up the shelves in a corner store but who does that more than once? It's neat, but once you've seen it, there's nothing else to do with it. FOTNS feels so much nicer and I feel like I have a ton of moves to use and think about.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Omobono posted:

Why are you assholes letting him walk away with his head not asploded FUUUUUCK.

Ahem.

Shining orbs are from chapter clears and star from leveling. Where exactly do you get mind, body and skill orbs beyond what story progression gives you?
Mini-games, sub-stories, the works?
Is there a sub-story radar like in Kiwami, and if so where is it?

You can get them from basically all of those. You can straight up buy them from the store at the Colosseum, for instance. And the intermediate level of the first race gives a skill, I believe. The doctor mini game gave a body for passing one song.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

shiksa posted:

i also just bought yakuza 0 and i love it very very much so far. i always thought yakuza looked pretty cool and its my new favorite thing.

Wait till you get to 6 and Kiryu has boss fights with Okada, Tanahashi, Naito and, most importantly, YANO TO-RU!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

And Tyler Too! posted:

My friend who convinced me to grab Yakuza 0 told me from here on out Kiryu is the main event. I want to play this whole series now but I've been spoiled by how fun it is to play as Majima. Kiryu is a dumb brute with the personality of a rock.

4 and 5 have even more playable characters than 0. Including one who's important to Majima's backstory, and one who's similar to Majima's Y0 portrayal.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Which character is it that the actor who was busted with drugs plays? The main character, or a supporting character?

I think our Japanese-resident goonpals could testify to how much bigger of a deal this would be if Kimutaku was caught with drugs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Uh, because his face is in it too? Also they're not going to remove the JP VA entirely again after Y1.

As noted, it really depends on if he's in the pre-rendered cutscenes, and if so, how many. If he's only really in like one or two short scenes, and it's in-engine the rest of the time, they can just do a minor model swap like they're doing for Y4 and redub the lines. If he's a major character then it gets more tricky, because it could make the whole thing more expensive than it's worth, and then Sega have to decide whether they want to leave him in the western release because his crime isn't that big a deal here (and also, it's not like Disney made a totally different version of Infinity War without Iron Man for Japan, so they are definitely aware it's not as much of a thing overseas)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

what is rear end Catchem's preferred perving style

is he a grabby man or a pokey man

The answer may surprise you!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

man nurse posted:

It's kinda bizarre that this was the game they decided to try a dub with again. Like, it's a spinoff title not many people are likely to pick up, not a main series entry, which have all traditionally been sub-only anyway.

Uh... FOTNS was dubbed too?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

hamburgers in pockets posted:

Do any Tojo or Omi people actually show up in this? I've been trying to steer clear of story spoilers this whole time, but gently caress would it be jarring to have like, Majima or Saejima get a cameo scene where they speak English. Unless Majima's dubbed by Mark Hamill, in which case I absolutely will play the entire game dubbed just for that.

I'm only on chapter 2, but none of the main players from the older games yet. Kamurocho is 100% acknowledged as Tojo territory though and any Kanto yakuza are X of the Y Family, a Tojo Clan Subsidiary.

Edit: The food thing is why I'm always baffled that they treat 'food heals 20% MORE' as an upgrade while gating sidequests and XP behind the food. Surely it healing LESS would be better so you can eat more. And it's not like money is ever really an issue in these games.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 21, 2019

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
6 hours in and Yagami is asking a college girl what colour panties she wears so he can catch a perv. It's like Kiryu never left.

(Actually, I feel like this may have started as an idea for an Akiyama or Tanimura spin-off, then Kimutaku got on board and they revamped the character to be like the one he played on TV. )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
End of chapter 2 and LOL Yagami avoiding gun-wielding Tojo goons via sick skateboard tricks