Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Caed Nua being totally destroyed as part of the premise for the sequel is kinda funny.

Clearly we'd need to put our throne on the mast of a ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

CottonWolf posted:

I strongly appreciate the Vela shout out in that update. Everyone should steal the orlan baby.

I mean technically I'm a lord, I consider it more Child Protective Services work. Clearly all those people are assholes, kid is better off being raised in my kicking rad cast......kicking rad.....privateer ship?

It also seems the most fitting option for RPG procreation. Even if you play a good guy, it seems like 90% of your day is breaking into poo poo and stealing people's stuff. So where do babies come from? You break into someone's house and you steal them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
If you find yourself being overwhelmed, always remember: Mind control is your friend. As are the people who you mind control, that will soon die killing their previous friends. Almost anything in the game can be Charmed or Dominated, with rare exception, so feel free to take the big guys out of a fight and have them wail on the little guys. It's one of the reasons I find the 5 or 6 character discussion amusing. My party is a handful of very reliable people, and then a slightly larger group of people waiting join my party for a short time before their death.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Cipher is the right choice because if some bitch tier god is going to eat my soul, I'm going to eat his soul right back.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

rope kid, if the PoE1 character was from Deadfire, which part of the archipelago were they from? Understandably, it was very broadly drawn in the first game, but it actually matters now.

Also, very happy about AI scripting. I loved building insane routines in DA:O.

I imagine that's the sort of thing you'd have in an early conversation to narrow down, like a lot of the background stuff.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I'd probably take my Cipher Cipher/Paladin, because I am feeling the profound need to go holy war on some giant statue's rear end.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Ladolcevita posted:

People seriously just spammed spells in PoE1, rested after every fight, left 1/4 way through the dungeon to go rest in town and buy camping supplies, returned to dungeon, spam spells, rested after every fight; left 1/2 way through dungeon....rinse and repeat? Talk about a tedious bore.

Only for Endless Paths when I knew there was something cool I wanted on a floor, and I wasn't going to do something stupid like "Level to an appropriate point and come back when you are really prepared for this floor and actually have a full party". But I mean yeah, totally. Only downside is a pathological hatred of Ogre Druids. I would totally clear half them out carefully keeping dudes to as few pulls as possible, trying to exploit doorways and such to limit the amount that could get to my front guys at once, and just wildly ejaculate all spells to drop them. Then come back and do it again. And if they have a problem with that, well, the dumb shits shouldn't have lived under my keep should they?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Zore posted:

Also Ropekid call Cipher/Rogues soulblades tia.

As amusing as that is, clearly they are Mindtakers.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Harrow posted:

I think I'm still in favor of 4e hybrid class/13th Age style multiclassing, because I think it's easy for players to understand, though I can imagine it'd be a mess to balance in a system like PoE's. 13th Age can easily balance it by saying "you count as one level lower and you have to do this weird thing where you use the worse of each class's key ability modifier," but PoE2 has eight more levels than 13th Age and no ability modifiers. (Plus, that system makes it so that some multiclass combinations are just plain trash because of how MAD they get.)

I still think that it could work in PoE2, just with more of a level penalty, but I'm also saying that totally ignorant of how the talent, spell, and ability progression works in PoE2.

You know what's easy to understand? Not multiclassing. You just think "I want to sword mans in the face", and you think if you want to fighter sword mans, or maybe Rogue sword mans, or a more esoteric Paladin sword mans or something. At the point you are thinking "I wonder if I could sword....*and* melt face?" you've already started thinking about the fundamental operation of the system in a way a lot of people never bother with. If I want to melt face, I get Aloth. I sword, he melts. All is right with the world.

Once you accept that multiclassing is really only ever going to appeal to people who are willing to think about the system for nine seconds, you can also accept that it's *ok* to give them something to think about for nine seconds. So include a character planning so they can see that if they 9/9 something they are only going to make it to Awesome Ability List 6, and let them see Awesome Ability List 10. And if they are willing to give that up all you need to do now is make it so that a full party of people with access to Awesome Ability List 6 can conceivably beat the game. Because that's your floor, that's how badly someone can screw up the party if they make all the worst decisions. Well I mean they aren't playing on "Designing This Difficulty Level Is How We Unwind From A Long Day At Work: We Actually Hate You Edition", which should should allow someone to truly screw themselves.

I feel like if people had a visual of the process happening in front of them they'd grasp it pretty quick. It's not complicated, it just lends itself more to an almost purely visual example than a verbal one.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Tony Montana posted:

poo poo, Morrowind was released at the same time on xbox as it was on PC. Well ok then, but you couldn't tell it by looking at Morrowind! You certainly could tell it by the time Oblivion came. I think that was the transition from 'oh we'll release some console port coz lol consoles' to 'THE GAME NEEDS TO BE DESIGNED AROUND CONSOLES BECAUSE ITS A BILLION DOLLAR MARKET'

It wasn't, you are on crazy person drugs and not fun drugs, find better drugs. Morrowind itself was already an attempt to make something more mainstream than Daggerfall. You basic bitches riding it's jock don't even remember what real complexity looked like.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Tony Montana posted:

Wikipedia says they were both released middle of 2002

What both and why do I care? Daggerfall was 1996, and was a ridiculously huge and complicated game world. Want to summon a Daedra? None of this go to their temple that is in a single well defined location bullshit. Oh no. You need to reach a moderate level in the Mage Guild or Temple. Then you need to wait for the right day of the year. Then you have to pay a ton of money. Then you have a random chance it works. Oh and if it's not Sheogorath's day he has a random chance of being summoned on any other summon day. And that's a simplified explanation of one aspect of one part of the massive insanity that was Daggerfall.

Morrowind was already dumbed down bullshit for console babies that can't handle a real game that is randomly generated and constantly blue screening you, and people that like it are weak servile trash holding back the PC gaming master race from it's true potential.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Tony Montana posted:

Yes please. I dont want the book but can yoi guys stop it with that stupid poo poo?

No. Didn't want to deal with the Imperial system of measurement, shouldn't have let us become the sole relevant imperial power.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Tony Montana posted:

Scientists use the metric system, even American ones.

That's actually not true, and we've had serious problems [Of the poo poo exploding kind] because of some people in NASA using metric and some not.

quote:

Yeah just put both. Why give a deliberate gently caress you to the REST OF THE WORLD?

Because you deserve it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Avalerion posted:

That genre pretty much died out, didn't it. :( Personally I blame how they all mainly became nonsensical puzzle fests.

People keep making them, some of them are even good!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Ruzaii posted:

I'm pretty sure the body you find in the northern part of Anslog's Compass is supposed to be him. It held an in-progress diary entry of his that cut off abruptly after mentioning meeting Xaurips, and was found next to the big Xaurip camp.

What sort of poor keeps their own journal?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Dolash posted:

Only just occurred to me, but was the inspiration for Waidwen's Legacy just not wanting to put children into the game?

A lot of fairly horrific poo poo happens to kids in the game, which is actually the main motivation I had for going through the plot. Like you tell me "If you don't follow this thread you'll eventually go insane!", and all I can think is "Bitch I am willingly climbing down the horrific murder dungeon I live on top of, by choice, for no other reason than curiosity. You think trying to ignore the voices in my head will drive me insane? Challenge accepted.". I'm pretty sure I can live weird enough to shame my past lives into staying in their corner, I don't need help with that one. Random people having babies without souls? I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I mean I literally just mind-wipe my worst enemy in the game because sadism has a limit. He's gone, his next life gets it's own chance not to be an rear end in a top hat. No need to get into horrific soul torture. If I can eliminate the horrific existential threat that is people worrying about their kids not having souls, I'mma do that. Game would be about one million percent less horrific without kids in it.

e: Like seriously, that's like peak evil there. I'm almost impressed by the pointless cruelty of it.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 13, 2017

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

3Romeo posted:

I hope the real villain is Gordy, who blames me for getting him that March steel dagger he cut his fingers off with.

I can't believe you horrific monsters didn't teach the small child how to handle a knife.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
He'd probably be happy not to be murdered in a blood pit anymore, which is what would make it funny to kill him again.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

bitmap posted:

hah someone in here frickin called it about the steward being on the ship

I'm pretty sure we all did

Of course I did it on page 2 before anyone else :smug:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
As they've talked about a few times, the writers were a bit unclear on what a Cipher could do and what a Watcher does, so they gave a ton of unique poo poo to Ciphers. It's not that other classes [Or races] don't have cute unique things, but the Cipher's probably have more that has more of an impact. Although I guess to be fair to them when you have a loving mind-rewriting psychic walking around, he should probably have some fairly unique ways to resolve situations that another character may not. The correct answer in any situation is always necromancer, and congrats! Every character in PoE is effectively part necromancer!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
If they add Paypal and take money for a bit after the campaign they might, might just reach 5 million.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Dolash posted:

If Ciphers were a Glanfathan thing, does that mean that being a Cipher isn't an inherent ability?

Why would those two things follow? Glanfathan's had "Mind hunters", a tradition of psychic warriors. Dudes that would literally cut away the souls of their enemies. Animancers studied these guys, because hey....Animancers manipulate souls, these guys manipulate souls, it's all good. People called these mind hunters "Ciphers", because their abilities originally seemed mysterious. Actual Ciphers you see around are a result of Animancers learning, spreading, and improving the mental and mystic techniques of the Glanfathan people. And they are still called Ciphers because people would get wigged the gently caress out at calling them "brîshalgwin" or "mind-hunters".

quote:

I thought it was a born thing, but if it's something that can be learned then how is it really that different from Animancy, and why wouldn't all Animancers also learn Cipher abilities?

It's not, most of them do.

quote:

I get the animancy half is the machines and the knowledge but why is that socially discrete from self-derived powers and the Glanfathan tradition?

Because people are stupid loving bigots and nothing they do makes sense and it's all meaningless and then you die. Also because of like 90% of the animancers you see in PoE1 are totally insane and there was that whole "Put animal souls into children and turned them into monsters" thing to live down.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Classes aren't real, it's all bullshit, all magic people do the same thing, nobody is special not even the gods.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Dolash posted:

I can't really parse this.

You are looking for complexity where it doesn't exist, just like you are looking for answers that don't exist. There isn't depth to the issue you are missing, it's exactly as stark as "souls are real, they can be manipulated and moved, and people can focus the power of souls to do magic". That is it. That is the totality of knowledge on the issues of souls broken down, and also magic in general. The only thing close to special are Watchers, insomuch as that seems to legitimately be something not everyone can be that works a *little* differently. And even then animancers could possibly crack that in a few decades or so. And that's that, that is the totality of the facts you have to work with to make your call on everything in the setting. Souls are real, they can be manipulated and moved, people can focus the power of souls to do magic.

There's no good answer to the issue of animancy. It's state in the area the game takes place is relatively comparable to the state of body robbing scientists in our development of modern medicine. People doing questionable things in the name of knowledge in order to better humanity [Or to flaunt their own ego]. Like in our world, there will be a lot of problems on the road to knowledge, the occasional atrocity here or there. Like our world, it doesn't matter what you think about that. Someone will always, always try to learn the truth no matter the cost. That doesn't mean you have to support them, and it doesn't mean you have to oppose them. It doesn't *mean* anything. It's just a fact. What you think about it is up to you. There is no real answer to the big questions in PoE. Not because we don't have enough knowledge, but because there are no big answers to be found. It's just the world, live with it however you like.

So if your character is against animancy, there's plenty of reason to support that position. And if your character is for animancy, well, there's plenty of reason to support that. It's not even "everybody is right". Nobody is right. There is no "right" answer.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Dolash posted:

By this explanation though you could just use your per-encounter powers "per rest" and use your willpower to resist using them more than that, then go rest and come back.

You could also play on story mode and not bother with tactical combat at all.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Blackfyre posted:

Also the Adra statue is a bit more godlike than Waidwen.

I wonder if he'll feel that way when I interrupt literally every word out of his mouth with a cannon shot to the junk.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
There's a ton of people that only PayPal, and there are a bunch that will up a little if they get close to a big milestone. So if they somehow manage to magic out 4.5, I'd say they get 5 post-campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I would say considering when they put in PayPal, trivial for them to hit 4.5, and theoretically possible they get to 5.

• Locked thread