Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

kids_in_the_outfield_at_the_home_run_derby.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I remember a giant rocketship too at my preschool. It was in the courtyard and the building was built in 1969, just the right time for SPACE to be in the minds of all children. I attended in the early 90s so it was a bit rusty with flaking paint, but it seemed enormously tall.

I also seem to recall a number of other space themed equipment, like Apollo capsule jungle gyms.

They seemed old to me even when I was little and I didn't recognize the shape. I found a Pinterest page full of playground equipment from the past, which is ringing a lot of nostalgia bells in my brain.

Now my local playground has a jungle gym made with some kind of bungee cords which looks like you could strangle yourself on it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I went to the City Museum for my honeymoon.

There's about a million ways to seriously injure yourself and I'm surprised you don't have to sign a waiver, but the worst thing I saw was some guy stuck in a tube dropping his phone and smashing the screen.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

PCOS Bill posted:

The three chain tire swing on a swivel was definitely top 5 "Let's see how dangerous we can be" parts of my childhood playground. That tire always won.

I have been knocked flat by the three chain tire swing more than once. The chains were also pretty great at pinching fingers.

I'd also put the merry go round in the "top 5 most dangerous playground equipment" as well, especially the slick metal one.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Just Offscreen posted:

No, those are all Boston Dynamics walkers developed through DARPA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8YjvHYbZ9w

I firmly believe that Jim Henson Creature Shop should create suits for all Boston Dynamics critters. You know, like Snuffleupagus or the Land Striders from the Dark Crystal.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

The backpack in the middle looks a bit like the Nirvana logo.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Solice Kirsk posted:

Different strokes man.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I came across this in the wild today (on the purse of a middle aged lady who was adopting a kitten).

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Brewmaster posted:

They reuse some of the facilities. I remember you used to be able to use a bunch of the stuff in Lake Placid in upstate New York. I had some friends who went down the bobsled track but I was like lol gently caress that I've seen Cool Runnings I know how this turns out.

I went down the bobsled track in Lake Placid about five or six years ago. They put wheels on it in the summer and charge tourists a bunch of money for a very short, very terrifying ride.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Samovar posted:

If my piss was carbonated, I too would be scared.

If you have certain kidney issues, your pee will be foamy, so when you pee in the sample cup at the doctor's office, it looks like a little cup of beer with a head of foam. It is indeed pretty scary waiting to find out how bad your kidney issues are.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

The best part of this is the woman at the bottom who chose to buy property close to an active volcano going "why didn't they tell us it could be dangerous???"

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Zzulu posted:

You mean there are people who grind up skeletons for a living?

The bone grinding machine is called a cremulator. (I suggest reading Caitlin Doughty's book Smoke Gets In Your Eyes for more crematorium info and stories. Some funny and some horrifying!)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Stealin' this for the Design thread in DIY.

HelloIAmYourHeart has a new favorite as of 13:16 on Jul 28, 2018

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Parrots also live a ridiculously long time (some can live to be 80 or older) and sometimes get inherited by relatives when the owner dies which can be a real problem because parrots can be absolute cunts who scream like a banshee at all hours of the day, destroy everything they can reach with their beaks (which is everything in your house) and curse up a blue streak.

At least a turtle won't wake up all the neighbours at 4am screaming about how you're an idiot cocksucker. :ocelot::parrot:

I know I've told this story on the forums before, buy my two uncles were living together, and the older one was dying of end stage liver failure from being an alcoholic since the age of 14. He also had an African grey parrot which would imitate his voice incredibly accurately. Once he passed away, the younger uncle found himself in possession of a parrot that spoke in the voice of his deceased brother.

The parrot found a new home pretty quickly after that, with some parrot loving people.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

robotsinmyhead posted:

Before anyone asks, thickened water / nectar is used by people who have swallowing difficulties (dysphagia - which is way more common than you might imagine) and physically can't swallow water.

Towards the end of my grandmother's life when she had dementia real bad and was really frail, she was on nectar consistency drinks. She hated it. I tried some, and I hated it too. We had a carton of some kind of powder that you could mix with any liquid to thicken it up, and there was some talk of making her a thickened martini because she really wanted one but I don't think anyone ever did because it was just too disgusting of an idea.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Dienes posted:

This guy gets it. Our bengal would think she died and went to heaven seeing that bathroom.

Confession: when I was like six or seven, I destroyed a roll of toilet paper with a wide tooth comb and told my mom out cat Booker did it (to be fair, he did have a habit of doing it). She believed me. I'm sorry, Booker.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

LifeSunDeath posted:

waiting for the inevitable funko divorce:

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/bjy478/the-couple-who-made-a-marriage-contract-for-funko-pops

An interview with the Funko Pop contract people.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Picnic Princess posted:

I wouldn't eat any mushrooms some young city dude picked unless he examined the cap, the gills, and the spore stamp with an expert who's been doing it for ages and clearly knows what they're doing because they're still alive. You can't learn proper mushroom identification out of a book. You need practical in the field expeience, and then you use the books as reference.

This makes me think of Brad from It's Alive! going mushroom foraging and the first thing he says is "don't just go to the woods and eat some mushrooms, you could get really sick or die. Make some friends and do your research". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sexYJ-J-AVo

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Welp, see y'all in hell.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

BiggerBoat posted:

If your insurance covers it I'd go for it. Mine doesn't cover it until you try FIVE different anti depressants. Tough part about trans cranial is you have to go like EVERY DAY for an hour for a couple months.

Yeah, I just finished TMS recently and had to go every single day for six weeks and then three times a week for an additional two weeks. I watched a lot of Planet Earth and Great British Baking Show with subtitles on, because that machine is LOUD and you have to wear earplugs.

Has it helped? Hard to say yet, because it can take a couple months after finishing treatment to fully kick in and I'm not there yet, but I have chronic daily headaches that absolutely have improved, and I've been more social lately. Honestly I'd say it was worth the price of admission for the headache pain reduction alone, so a tentative thumbs up?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Ak Gara posted:

Who, exactly, celebrates Tzom Gedaliah, Lag BaOmer, Tzom Tammuz, or Tisha B'Av?

A woman in my sewing class is Orthodox Jewish, and one night she came to class and told me she couldn't make clothing this week because it's prohibited during [some holiday I can't remember but I'd never heard of it before] to join two pieces of fabric together. She made a set of cloth napkins instead--those were ok because they were only one piece of fabric.

Rabbinical law is awfully complicated.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Former DILF posted:

i can't help but notice they've formed a catenary curve too:

Is that the Gateway Arch?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Shai-Hulud posted:

Some cats don't give a gently caress. I had a cat that tried to steal bread. Just stole slices of bread and chomped away at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGVaw5YKICA

Borya, give me the bread!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

ANOTHER live action Disney remake?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

And the Interior Design Thread

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Double hyperbolic parabola roof. I was lost in Lawrence and drove by this place and it blew my mind. The interior is great, too.

https://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/jul/16/its_finely_engineered_design/

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Azathoth Prime posted:

Not to further the derail, but Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation is a very promising, fairly new, non-drug treatment. It's especially good for sadbrains, but I've seen it used to successfully treat other disorders as well.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/transcranial-magnetic-stimulation/about/pac-20384625

I know it can sound like "magnets, how do they work?" quackery, but I also know a number of people who've had very good results with it.

I know we're not talking about mental health any more, but I have had TMS for depression/headaches so if anyone has questions feel free to shoot me a message.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

spookygonk posted:

I'd go for a YouTube instructional video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOOuR_vv7dU

I honestly expected this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTJUBaN97kI

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

https://twitter.com/tearsof10th/status/1137758588309557249?lang=en

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Songbearer posted:

Thanks for the cat monologue memes, I was the one who requested them and they've cheered me up immensely. The wife and I got our first cat a month and a half ago and it's made the quarantine so much happier :3:

You're not the only ones. I volunteer at a cat shelter that has adopted out 28 cats in 18 days, which is WILD for us. Unfortunately, I didn't get to say goodbye to a couple of my favorites because I'm not going in until quarantine is lifted, but it's a little silver lining I guess.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Whipstickagostop posted:

Trying to find some dumbells earlier and saw some odd looking ones on Amazon:

Stovepipe.

I purchased a pair of tights on Amazon where the packaging referred to legs as stovepipes. I wonder if it's some kind of translation error.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Anza Borrego posted:

Good to see Andy Goldsworthy branching out.

I would like you to know that I appreciate this very much.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Flint_Paper posted:

My contribution to The Endless Hotsauce Derail is that, now I've lost my sense of smell, I use it a lot more to knock food into something with a semblance of flavour. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Astronauts are very into hot sauce, because microgravity makes you retain fluid in your face so they lose their sense of taste and smell.

I tried to find an amusing space food picture, but they were all more suited to the Unappetizing Food thread.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Children of Blood and Bone is already a (pretty good) YA novel, but you can't make the title from that chart.

Recently I found an old friend.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Here's the IRL version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkOXbfkosKU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
A couple I went to college with had a "chromosome reveal" party with a green and yellow cake that showed XY when it was cut. It's... a genetically male baby!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Knowing them, it was pretty tongue in cheek. The remark about the green cake reminded me of it.

And then there's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIpVbBHFr1g&t=12s

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I looked up the populations of those "cities" and it's only like 1100 all together (doesn't take much to be a city in rural Alaska I guess).

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I went out in flamingo leggings, shuttlecock socks, and cowboy boots today, so I'm okay with this. Quarantine has completely messed up whatever fashion sense I once had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

RandomFerret posted:

Replace all balls in sport with bird eggs of different sizes, and make the rules that everybody loses if the egg breaks.

This will teach our children to value tenderness and finesse over force

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrvs4HuTwdQ

Bad news, there's no finesse or tenderness here (there is a pretty good but poorly executed eureka moment from Josh Widdicombe though)