Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Phi230 posted:

How its played

I do not play, I merely bare witness to the grog abyss... I will be using the full, advanced ruleset with all supplements.
I'm going to go ahead and dedicate a whole post to how play very soon.

If you need weapons that aren't in any of supplements, poke me and I should be able to whip up stats for basically any conventional firearm. I should even be able to provide you with some extra hit location tables for prone targets getting hit along the length of their body (converted from LEG's Small Arms: Spectrum) and grappling rules (converted from LEG's Rhand: Morningstar Missions).

Hell, if you want it, I should be able to send you a copy of my Excel spreadsheet that does to-hit and hit location rolls (with damage, disabling wounds, healing time, and critical periods).

I'm pretty knowledgeable about this system!

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

Great, this means that Van Owen, that son of a bitch, should also join the reserves.

:norway:

Phi230 posted:

Whoa that would be amazing, especially the prone hit location tables. Isn't grappling covered by Garrotte and Suffocation rules though?

Hit And Hit Location Roller. Note that it's not an exact copy of the tables. I did some math-wizardly to let it handle any real-valued Damage Class, so it can do stuff like DC -1 and DC 11 and DC 5.7. If the Minimum Arc field is blank, it rolls Shots number of single shots. If you have a value in the Minimum Arc field, it'll roll once on the Auto Elev table and then rolls each projectile in the burst individually in width. It can't handle shotguns just yet. I was going to implement shotguns, but then I started thinking about how to implement automatic shotguns and things got complicated.

The garrote and suffocation rules cover some aspects of grappling, but there's also holds, throws, joint locks, pinning, biting, hair pulling, dirt throwing, eye gouging, and sweaty dick punching to consider! Also, I'll see if I can find what I did with respect to figuring out how the hell the grenades at all possible ranges worked, in case you want more detail there. And the M1911 in PCCS uses pretty old ammunition, tell me if you want me to stat up one using modern rounds or +P+ or whatever. I should also be able to do JSP and wadcutter rounds.

The first hit to Hit Location 7 isn't a shoulder glance, it's a "neck glance" which uses the same hit location table.

Tables C1 and C2:

The disability in the first table is from the shoulder girdle and muscles being destroyed, and if you get as far as 6.9 EPEN, the pelvis starts breaking. In the second table, the disability is the pelvis being broken, which adds maybe 20 Shock Points (not that it matters at that point).

Phi230 posted:

And yes, LEG were a pair of NASA engineers. They stopped doing game design and went back to being rocket scientists in 1991.

All in all pretty cool. For all their bitter whining about people not appreciating their genius realism, they also basically released the entire line into the public domain this Christmas.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Phi230 posted:

This is in intervals of: C (close, will explain in combat post), 0 , 1 , 2, 3 ,5, 10. They don't really tell you what numbers to use if you are 4 hexes, or in between 5 and 10 hexes away.

Update: I can totally calculate what the PEN and BC is for existing hand grenades at basically any range.

Also, do you want play aids? I made some for the three main Stances and Bracing.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Also quick question, do you round up or down when the numbers don't match up perfectly on the tables

It's a four-step process:
1) Do the rules tell you what to do?
2) Is there an example giving an example of which way to round?
3) Start crying
4) Go with what seems to fit the situation best

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Excuse my drawing skills!

(Also you don't get the +1 for using automatic fire when using the Advanced Rules. It's just there to represent the increased chance of hitting from multiple bullets, which the Auto Elev and Autofire tables already account for in the Advanced Rules. :goonsay: )

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Phi230 posted:

These stats, especially movement, are not permanent. Half of the Squad can throw away like 2 magazines and move up several rows on the movement speed tables and action table.

Which makes me think if I can incorporate the char creation tables into a spreadsheet and track everyone's char sheet that way

nah gently caress it, I'll do it by hand. I have a file on my desk with all 12 char sheets. This is real.

So you don't want this then?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Did you actually reverse engineer the math to get precise base and max speed? Are you a wizard?

gradenko_2000 posted:

It is my understanding that yes, LatwPIAT really did do that, and they are that good.

:kimchi:

I can't take credit for the Base and Max Speed formulas. Those were done by someone else. Everything else is me though. Feel free to ask me about stuff, I can probably help out some! :keke:

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Where did you find the rules for Medic and FO stats? I assume FO is in the artillery supplement?

The Medical Skill Level is described in PC Expansion, the Forward Observer rules are, as you guessed, in the Artillery book.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I've updated the hit-and-hit-location-roller so that it doesn't think that all limb hits automatically go to the right arm and leg, and the Hired Goon Character Manager spreadsheet has a lot more features now. For example, in addition to the Main sheet, there's a Learning sheet where Learning Point Totals can be entered, which automatically calculates the Skill Level and updates all dependent fields. I need to find some way to give you editing rights on this thing so you can actually use it, and I'll see what I can do about adding shotguns to the hit-location roller.

The offer to make data sheets for modern weapons (or just M16's with ACOGs) still stands, by the way!

e: It can now model shotguns, automatic shotguns, and up to 120 hits.

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 12, 2017

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

JcDent posted:

You will need his email so you can give him the right to edit sheets via the share function on google docs. Or you can set "anyone with the link can edit" and just PM him the link.

Let's say that, hypothetically, I don't have the money to buy the ability to PM...

Also!

M4 Carbine

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 13, 2017

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Welcome aboard Mr. Plissken

How convenient, someone did a writeup of MacReady in PCCS stats once!

Also, enable PMs or find some way to give me your email so you can get editing access to the Hired Goons Character Manager! :3:

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

You should now have editing rights.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Besides lookling at the glorious history of mercenaries they tended to attract some interesting charaters. One of the most famous Itallian Condotorri of the Renaissance was an English dude who schleped his way across north Italy and wound up becoming the Duke of a city state.

One of the mercenaries supporting Biafra in the Nigerian Civil War was Count Carl Gustaf von Rosen, a Swedish nobleman and the nephew-in-law of Herman Göring. Something of a black sheep of that family, he abandoned his campaign of flying a DC-2 on bombing missions against the Soviet Union in the Winter War to fly Dutch politicians out of the Netherlands to the UK during the invasion. During the Congo Crisis he flew planes for the UN. After getting fed up with the sorry state of refugees in Biafra, he cooperated with the French DGSE to rebuild a civilian propeller plane into a highly effective Close Air Support rocket bus and destroyed several MiG-17's and Il-76's with his air-combat unit of 'Biafran Babies'. He continued to fly humanitarian missions after the war, eventually dying during an attack in the Ethiopian-Somali war.

And then there's Bob Denard and his four attempts to conquer the Comoros.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Attack Plan: Try Not To Die

Team A Setup
A Team, carrying 1 M60 machine gun and 4 M16A2 rifles infiltrates to Point Alpha, then leapfrog to Bravo. A Fire & Maneuver Team (2 soldiers) from A Team (Archer) infiltrates to Charlie while covered by the rest of A Team (Alpine). Their task will be to block access along the eastbound and southbound roads, and attack any targets of opportunity.

Team B Advance
B Team, armed with M16A2 rifles, infiltrate by leapfrogging to Delta, then to Echo. Half of B Team (Butcher) infiltrate to Foxtrot under cover by the rest of B Team (Baker). Baker then advances to the corner at Hotel and help Butcher reach Golf. Then Butcher covers Baker as Baker advances on the door. Once Baker has reached the door, the whole of B Team raid along the yellow line until India, clearing all rooms in order. Four men raid each room, with one standing guard.

Once they've reached India, B Team retrace their steps along the pink line, then exfiltrate along the blue lines going to Lima and Mike.

Exfiltration
When B Team reaches Lima, Archer to Bravo and advance on November. If B Team is under fire and Alpine are not, Alpine them withdraw to November. If Alpine are under fire, they withdraw to Alpha. Once B Team leaves Mike, Archer and Alpine exfiltrate along blue lines.

Aborting
If B Team feels the need to abort the mission because of heavy casualties/heavy resistance, they exfiltrate along blue lines under A Team cover as for 'Exfiltration'.

Rules of Engagement
Unless they can't advance in any other way, B Team should hold fire until they've reached both Echo and Foxtrot.

A Team should not open fire until fired upon, or they hear the sound of combat from the compound. A Team must not under any circumstances fire upon the buildings after Baker has left Echo.

Notes
Having so many people in A Team for the purpose of overwatch hampers us a bit. Ideally we'd have more people for room clearing, since A Team simply can't do much once the firing starts, if I'm understanding where the doors are properly here. We're left with A Team covering the roads against reinforcements, and B Team trying very desperately to clear all the rooms. With luck, there will be few people in the rooms and most of them will be in the courtyard or corridors (room fighting is baaaaaaad for you).

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 14, 2017

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

OPERATION CIRCUIT BREAKER

Questions?

Heh, it amuses me that our plans are so different in part because I think the door is to the south, and you think it's to the east. :v:

Anyway, this is probably a better plan than mine, but I want more detail on the infiltration too the compound entrance. Are they really just going to advance across open ground towards the facility? I really think they should advance south from the trees, at least.

That said, my vote is ironically going to be for CIRCUIT BREAKER.

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 14, 2017

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

The discussion about avoiding friendly fire reminded me to add the rules for IDing targets to the Hired Goons Character Manager.

We're... not that great at it.

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 14, 2017

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Eh, room clearing with grenades is a "no hard feelings"-thing. It doesn't say we won't give quarter, it says we're competent and really interested in not dying.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Zaodai posted:

That said, if we do parley, we force them to walk outside where the overwatch team can see them, we do not take their surrenders face to face or walk into a room where they "totally surrender guys, we swear."

"Toss out your weapons, then come out one by one with your hands in the air!" before we tie their hands behind their backs and blindfold them (with torn-up uniforms) is pretty standard procedure for this kind of thing, but it does raise one question...

...do any of us speak Chinese?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Actually, we can do this super-old timey until we find a Radio Shack. Can we set up pre-defined signals between the overwatch team and the strike teams? You know, shoot-> pause -> shoot shoot would mean they've surrendered or something? Wouldn't convey a TON of information, but at least we could get signals for pre-defined events.

I should think the point we march a bunch of tied-up PLAAN guys out and make them sit against a wall with one of two of our guys as guard serves as a pretty good signal that some of them surrendered. We've laid the plan under the assumption of no communication, so for the most part we can make do without it.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

For all that we're a bunch of US Army dropouts stuck doing mercenary ops in the rear end end of nowhere with outdated equipment, I have confidence that we'll manage this fairly well. BLUE Team have caught the PLAAF guards in an ambush, which and from what I can tell BLUE should easily have twice the accuracy of the guards. The opening shots will probably be made at 3-4 times the accuracy, with hit accuracies in the 81-99% range at the lowest. Things will drop off sharply after that, but the opening volleys should be devastating to the PLAAF.

e: And Phi, if you need help actually running things, I volunteer. Playing is fun and all, but running this is also a blast!

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 15, 2017

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Zaodai posted:

And yeah, seems like we picked basically the worst person possible to give the M60 to for this.

Popete is not the right person to get the Pig quickly into position, but for an overwatch mission, the M60's firepower and accuracy helps offset Popete's otherwise low stats, and he's the second-most qualified merc we have in Team A. It was Popete or The Dwayne on the M60, and I figured that The Dwayne would be better as a more mobile element, taking advantage of his +2 AGL.

(Also, due to Phoenix Command being edited by drunken llamas, I think Phi has counted the weight of the bipod twice. The M60 in the rules already has the weight of the bipod included.)

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 15, 2017

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

simplefish posted:

Also when it says 'recovery' hes gonna walk with a limp, right? I don't think you take a bullet in the kneecap thrn come out of hospital 3 weeks later and start yomping across the heaths. Ask the IRA

There's a 65% chance that Grimace' leg will heal to the point he doesn't experience any game-relevant ill effects. There's a 22.8% chance he'll acquire a permanent surcharge of +1 to all his movement actions, an 8% chance he'll acquire a permanent surcharge of +2 to all his movement actions, a 2.8% chance he'll acquire a permanent surcharge of +3, etc.

Really through, can I make a suggestion?

Hire a team of doctors and nurses who can patch people up after missions. Right now you're running mostly on half-remembered US Army First Aid Class lectures, which means any serious injury will do bad things to you. If we can get two surgeons, a Nurse Anesthetist, and a Registered Nurse, that should be enough to give us a Field Hospital, but we might have to suffice with a handful of trained medics.

Also, those poor PLAAF radar-techies, their injuries should have been treatable at a hospital. :ohdear:

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

simplefish posted:

Thanks for the clarification LAW T. PIAT (I know that isn't your name but you are Mr. Antitank to me now)

Ms Antitank :3:

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Leave it to PIAT to come in and clarify the rules.

Those must be the expanded med rules that my eyes glazed over trying to read

If you want to use it, I took the liberty of rolling for Grimace's long-term recovery and I rolled 38 over 34, so Grimace is going to have some pain in that knee for a while, but it's not going to have any permanent effects. How did Fallout 2 put it? Ah, yes: "The bruise will look nice, and maybe the scar will make good party talk."

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

JcDent posted:

IS IT BECAUSE YOU'RE A BORED AREA 51 AI THAT HAD A PDF OF PHOENIX COMMAND UPLOADED DURING YOUR FORMATIVE CYCLES?

That's classified!

JcDent posted:

Someone probably once said that war isn't rocket science and two guys took offense.

You know how from time to time someone will offhandedly mention that hit points make no sense and wouldn't some more realism would be nice, and someone else replies that hit points is the best possible model, because nobody could make a realistic damage model?

Barry Nakazono is the guy who said Watch me.

xthetenth posted:

What other game system lets you deliver six digit damage headshots to gender stereotypes?

:kimchi:

But Phoenix Command has a dark history... :ohdear:

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Even with a -2 Action Count penalty from the wound, Grimace is still one of the more competent soldiers in the unit! :v:

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

JcDent posted:

By the way, how up-to-date is our equipment database? Piat, dahling, mayhaps you have a line on some Phoenix Comman version of the 1.13 Arsenal mod?

There's no real organized project past or current[1], but I have some notes down and give me a list of guns and I should be able to provide you with a weapon data cards for almost all of them.

[1] And the few attempts that did exist are from before I completely revolutionized the field by running mass data analysis on the entire PCCS weapons database, and therefore less accurate than anything me and my spreadsheets[2] can produce. :3:

[2] Which I can give people if they want to help crowdsource creating a weapons database.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Didn't I only have 3 to start with? How would I be effective with half of everybody else's actions?

I assume that -2 is just until the wound heals based on what Phi said and your spoiler tag'd info further up, I still heal fully with the advanced rules you mentioned?

At full health you have 10 actions per 2-second Phase, divided across the four 0.5-second Impulses in a 3-2-3-2 pattern. Currently you've taken a wound that reduces your actions to 8 per 2-second Phase, for a 2-2-2-2 in the Impulses. And if Phi lets my roll stand, yes, you will suffer no permanent effects. Whenever someone's wounded and not in combat and full of adrenaline, they take a [Remaining Healing Time]/20 penalty to their number of Combat Actions, and you'll need about 45 days to recover, for a penalty of -2. Once you're down to 29 days remaining, that'll drop to -1, and once you hit 9 days left you're fully healed for most intents and purposes.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Since people have been arguing about how much to load our combat teams up with, here's a table to make the relationship between carried weight and Combat Actions clear.

Armor has the following weights:

code:
Type                             Wt.    PF
Light Flexible:                  2.0      4
Medium Flexible:                 2.6      6
Heavy Flexible:                  3.2      9
Light Rigid:                     7.9      6
Rigid:                          11.5     10
Medium Rigid:                   15.0     16
Heavy Rigid:                    24.0     30
Light Helmet:                    2.2      6
Medium Helmet:                   3.1     10
Heavy Helmet:                    4.0     16
Visor:                             0.8    4
PF 4 can stop all standard pistol and submachine gun rounds at the muzzle, and most hand grenade splinters. PF 6 can stop all hand grenade splinters. PF 9 can stop shotgun slugs. PF 10 can stop 5.56 NATO at 200 hexes and 7.62x39 at 40 hexes. PF 16 can stop 5.56 NATO at the muzzle, and 7.62 NATO at 70 hexes. PF 30 stops basically all kinds of small-arms fire.

All of our mercs wear clothing (5.0) and a combat harness (0.6), and most will have a pair of magazine pouches (0.8 each)

The M16A2 weighs in at 8.5 when fully loaded, and each extra magazine weighs 1.0. The M60, loaded with a 100-round belt and fitted with a bipod, weighs 29.7, and each additional belt weighs 6.5. Each M67 weighs 0.9.

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 17, 2017

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

JcDent posted:

How slow would our dudes be in medium rigid and a medium helmet?

How slow would our Best Merc be in Heavy Rigid, a.k.a. the absurd video game EOD titan armor?

With Medium+Medium+Clothing+Rig+Magazine Pouches+M16A2, most of our guys would be waddling around at 2, maybe 3 actions, with Grimace managing a full 4. Phoenix Command is unrealistically brutal when it comes to the effect armour. It's fine when calculating Maximum Speed, but it gets ridiculous that wearing a heavy vest makes you that much slower when prone and aiming a rifle.

Grimace in Heavy+Heavy+Visor+Clothing+Rig+Magazine Pouches would be waddling around at 3 actions, probably fewer when loaded up with ammo and weapons.

Luckily, we can get pretty good protection without resorting to the heavier armours. If the PF of the armour is more than half of the incoming bullet's PEN, the Damage Class of that bullet is reduced to 1 before wounding. Which is significant! Some Heavy Flex and a decent helmet would increase survivability, even if our casualties don't go down.

Also, protection against fragmentation grenades.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

ZeroCount posted:

Unrealistic armour penalties are a plague on RPGs in general. Kind of funny that its infected this one, considering all the painstaking effort the creators have gone through to try and make it realistic.

Usually when I play Phoenix Command I let people ignore the penalty for carrying stuff except when calculating how far you can run each phase. It seems more realistic and matches the real-world gunnery range data I fitted the game to pretty well.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I'm not sure if Phi is even using the Secondary Attributes I rolled for him, but if he is, I have an obvious suggestion for Squad Leader:

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Phi230 posted:

At the moment I'm just homebrewing how training works with guidance from the kind of barebones learning rules!

Try this:

Now, for the more fun stuff:

Phoenix Command 1.13
Phoenix Command One Thirteen is an MS Excel spreadsheet for making new weapons for PCCS. It's not very pretty, and gun data sheets will end up looking like this. It's really more for creating the data than it is for making cool Weapon Data Cards

Using Phoenix Command 1.13

Name: This you can figure out.
Type: Different types of weapons you can make. Most are fairly self-explanatory. A 'Machine Pistol' is very small, like a Beretta 93R, or an M951R, and maybe a Micro-Uzi. Everything else, like Mac 10s and Mini-Uzis, are SMGs. 'SMG (German Bias)' is for making MP5-family weapons, which are strangely better than all other SMGs in the game.
Unloaded Mass: This is the mass/weight of the weapon when unloaded. The left field is for kilograms, the right for pounds. Make sure only one field has data in it.
Length: The length of the weapon. Left is cm, right is inches.
Sight Radius: The distance between the front and right sights of the weapon's sights. If the weapon doesn't have iron sights, set this to 0.
Rate of Fire: The number of bullets that come out the front end, per minute. When a source gives a range of values for a given weapon, I always go with the biggest number because that's more fun.
Effective Range: This can be extremely hard to find, and we're talking about Effective Range, not "Effective Lethal Range" or "sight range" or whatever. It's the range at which the weapon can hit a standard NATO man-sized target 50% of the time. Enter that value in meters.
Action: If you can't figure out what this is by looking at it, you probably shouldn't be using this tool/I am too lazy to explain it.
Bolt: Does the weapon fire from a closed or open bolt?
Loading Type: How do you reload the weapon?
Loading Amount: How many rounds are in the internal magazine/detachable magazine?
Loading Weight: The weight, in kg (left)/pounds (right) of a single "unit" of ammunition. That's the weight of a fully loaded magazine for box magazines, the weight of a speedloader+bullets for a speedloader, the weight of a single round for weapons with internal magazines and no stripper clips, etc.
Iron Sights: Does this weapon have iron sights? Setting this to "no" has the same effect as setting Sight Radius to 0.
Scope Option 1/2: What type of scope does the weapon have, if any? Low-powered scopes use the "Scope (1.5x)" value, while scopes with magnification 3x or greater use the "Scope (3x)" value. "Advanced Aiming Systems" are a sci-fi thing.
Scope 1/2 Name: The name of the scope, or at least a description of it, like "Scope".
Stock: Can you use the weapon with or without a stock? This shouldn't affect pistols at all; if you want to make a pistol with a stock, make an SMG.
Grenade Launcher: Does the weapon have a grenade launcher mounted?
GL Name: What is the name of the grenade launcher?
Bipod/Tripod: Does the weapon have a bipod/tripod? Currently this doesn't actually do anything, since bipods/tripods are treated differently.
Bipod/Tripod Weight: The weight of the bipod, in kg (left)/pounds (right)

Ammunition
Name: Currently not in use, I should fix that sometime. Use it to keep track of what data you're entering, I guess?
Mass: Bullet mass, in grams.
Velocity: Muzzle velocity for this specific ammo fired from this specific gun.
Calibre: In millimetres.
Decay Factor: If you don't know what this is (you don't) leave it blank. If you're making 5.56 NATO-firing weapons, you could leave it as is I guess.

Keep in mind this thing is prototype as gently caress and will probably go through a dozen revisions before I'm happy with it!

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Baloogan posted:

Rules for laser target designation?

None official, other than rules for tank guns with laser rangefinders. But tell me what you need and I should be able to write some.

JcDent posted:

Africa, eh? Would they still have G3s and FALs around there?

Quinntan posted:

There'd be some, old Rhodie and Portuguese stocks and all of that, but the area would be flooded with AKs.

Most of my knowledge pertains to only southern Africa in the period 1961-1989, with the most ubiquitous weapons being SKSes, AK47s, AKMs, RPDs, DShKs and their extended families, with the occasional Chinese copy. Portugal had a lot of G3s, FALs, and MG42s (as well as stocks of Kar 98k, MP34, MG34, and MG13) supplemented by AR10s, while South Africa provided Brens, MAGs, FALs, M79s, Galil ARs, Galil SARs, and their domestic BXP, S1, SS-77, Mini-SS, Milkor MGL and such. Rhodesia mostly used British-that-is-to-say-Belgian weapons, but did produce their own Sanna 77 (a CZ 25 clone) and imported some weird stuff like Mini-14s. Nigeria licensed a ton of different firearms, meaning you could even wring a BM-59 if you wanted it, and Biafra got a lot of Czechoslovakian weapons.

But yeah, mostly a ton of Soviet stuff with G3s and FALs to your heart's content.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

How does the game handle weapon quality and cleanliness?

Each weapon can have a 'Reliability Class' assigned, and when you roll a non-zero double with digits of value less than or equal to the Reliability Class, there's a 10% chance the weapon has jammed. So for an RC of 3, the weapon will jam 10% of the time on a roll of 11, 22, or 33. Then you need to fiddle with the weapon for a long amount of time and roll to see if you can clear the jam. That's pretty much all Phoenix Command does in the way of modelling.

Now, an earlier game called Small Arms: Spectrum, basically a prototype for Phoenix Command, splits the RC into two values; RC and Misfire Chance, with Misfire Chance being ammunition-dependent. So here you get Military and Commercial ammunition having a 10% chance of failure only on rolls of 11, while Surplus ammunition misfires 10% of the time on 11, 22, and 33, and Poor Quality ammunition misfires 10% of the times the ones dice comes up 1, 2, or 3.

And that's just modern ammunition, of course! If you're loading your MP5 with WWII-surplus 9x19 mm Parabellum, the 10% chance starts appearing at rolls of 11, 22, and 33 for regular ammunition, and any roll ending in 1-7 for Poor Quality batches.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

JcDent posted:

Piat, which Twilight version is the best?

As much as I'd love to increase my nerd cred with you, because you're awesome and refer to me as female :kimchi: I have almost no experience with Twillight: 2000 and can't give you the answer you want. :v:

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Made my first weapon card! My favorite combat pistol.

What did you set Effective Range to? Because by the looks of it, it's somewhere around 600 meters, which is pretty impressive for a pistol!

Phi230 posted:

I'll have to double check with PIAT but I assumed Flak Jacket is more akin to Light/Medium Flexible Armor and a Plate Carrier would be more Light Rigid Armor or what would make more sense is Heavy Flexible Armor. At least that's the kind of distinction I'm going for.

Your typical Flak Jacket is something that Phoenix Command is a bit vague in modeling. There's some stats for a Flak Jacket in the Hand-to-Hand supplement, which doesn't match any of the armours in the game and falls between Light Rigid and Rigid, for maximum confusion. At a hunch, Flak Jackets are supposed to be Light Rigid.

But, despair not, for Gurth from the Phoenix Command mailing list once started writing up a bunch of real-world armours, including the M-1951 Armored Vest, the M-1955 Armored Vest, and one type of PASGT armour. Link!

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

JcDent posted:

Joke option: some unholy marriage between a Casspir MRAP and the QF 17-pounder.

One of the early prototypes of the SADF Ratel MRAP IFV was actually supposed to mount the turret from a Comet tank, complete with QF 17-pounder.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Triple A posted:

Then we should probably make some phone calls to Germany and see if we can buy some of their old Leopard 1A5s then.

By 2019 they can't have many of those left; Greece bought most of them to rattle sabres against Turkey. If we're going to get Leopard 1s, I'd suggest asking Canada if they want someone to help them get rid of their C2s, which they should be planning on getting rid of sometime in the near future.

And if all else fails, we should be able to find someone willing to sell us T-72s of a good vintage. Poland are going to withdraw their T-72M1s in 2018, so if they haven't managed to sell them off in a year maybe we can get a good price for them.

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 19, 2017

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Wait, I thought it was 2019 in crazy mercenary shoot people land?

Yes... yes it is. You saw nothing suggesting otherwise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

Sign Spanky up as the Signaller/RTO, if that's ok. Doesn't look like I've got any outstanding stats that would matter in combat, so I'm probably better off with a rifle in the back. Plus maybe I can rack up some cool Forward Observer XP from calling in airstrikes or something.

Spanky (with Tesla Cola) has the second-best STR in the group, which makes him a potential option for Automatic Rifleman. With STR 15, Spanky shoots 42% tighter groups than the average person when firing automatic bursts.

In general, if you want to know what your trooper is good at:

STR: High STR lets you carry heavy weapons without excessive penalties, or act quickly when carrying light weapons. It also makes your automatic fire more accurate, and you can throw grenades farther.
INT: High STR gives you more actions in combat and makes it easier to avoid being shot. It also lets you learn faster.
WIL: High WIL increases the chances you'll be able to keep fighting when you take damage.
HLT: Increases your chances of survival when you take damage.
AGL: High AGL gives you more actions in combat, greater grenade throw range, and improves your hand-to-hand combat ability.

LDR: High LDR makes you better at rallying troops and lets you give orders more quickly. (Phi doesn't seem to be using the Initiative/Order system, thankfully.)
MOT: MOT currently has no effect, but I might be able to convince Phi it should make you learn faster?
SIZ: SIZ currently has no effect.
TCH: High TCH lets anyone you train improve their skills faster, if you have the skill they're learning at a rating higher than theirs.
TS: TS currently has no effect, but I might be able to convince Phi it should make you learn faster?

• Locked thread