Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

quote:

After his subpar 1999 season, the Mets released Bonilla, but still owed him $5.9 million. Bonilla and his agent offered the Mets a deal: Bonilla would defer payment for a decade, and the Mets would pay him an annual paycheck of $1.19 million (the payment is made on July 1) starting in 2011 and ending in 2035, adding up to a total payout of $29.8 million.[16][17][18] Mets owner Fred Wilpon accepted the deal mostly because he was heavily invested with Ponzi scheme operator Bernie Madoff, and the 10 percent returns he thought he was getting on his investments with Madoff outweighed the 8 percent interest the Mets would be paying on Bonilla's initial $5.9 million. As a result, the Mets' handling of the payout was a subject of inquiry during the Madoff investment scandal.[19]

MLB.tv Sharing Thread

Jose Oquendo posted:

Well guys, I'm gonna live on the edge another year:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810860

Let's give it a shot and hope for the best.

CLICK THE COOL THING FOR .GIF THREAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also here's Sano's bomb from today for the new thread

https://twitter.com/AroundBasesPOD/status/881231654299107328

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sano apparently likes playing in KC

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2017/07/02/1562262783/1498961555646/asset_1200K.mp4

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm sad that Sano lost the 3B lead but Ramirez definitely deserves it so it's not that bad.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Keuchel hasn't thrown since going on the DL, why pick him for the ASG?

If he wasn't injured he would be on the team, and all-star selections can be contract incentives (or used in negotiations). I think there's just a general bonus given out to players that make the roster as well.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mcmagic posted:

Also 80% of HRD participants hit less homers in the second half of the season than in the first.

This is either a really bad troll or you don't actually realize that the second half has 10-15 fewer games than the first half. Either way you should feel really bad and dumb.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

seiferguy posted:

Another thing to consider: how could Angel Hernandez see race if he can't see balls and strikes?

Oh my god

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Julio Cruz posted:

Is Jim Joyce still umping? He was the only guy I could identify at home plate through sound alone.

He retired at the end of last season

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

N: Logan Morrison is mad that he's not in the Home Run Derby

quote:

"I remember when I had 14 home runs,'' Morrison said. "That was a month and a half ago.''

V: Logan Morrison owns and I agree with him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Julio Cruz posted:

While it's true that LoMo has more homers I don't think many people would choose to watch him in the HRD over Sanchez.

With Judge already in the derby, Sanchez isn't really moving the needle. Morrison probably gets more people that weren't already tuning in to do so as a result.

I don't really care either way but I do remember him being a pro twitter follow in the past so it would have been a cool nod for him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2017/07/08/1586650583/1499483803865/asset_1200K.mp4

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I will give you one (1) slightly used Jim Johnson.

Will take magic beans in return.

The Twins signed Bartolo Colon so they might be interested

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

And in a division with actual teams

And the Giants

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

Even though Devenski had a 1-2-3 inning, the first batter he faced smoked a line drive right at Alonso and the final batter faced his a very sharp ground ball right at Alonso

Springer looked like garbage in his at-bats

Springer gave a cool interview and so is absolved of all failures at the plate.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I don't know who any of those prospects are

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

that literally happened a week ago

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Did I just witness Keith Law murder a dude?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Bryant during his rookie season, a year older than Happ is now, led the league in strikeouts and had a 30.6% K rate. Last year it dropped to 22% and this year it's 20.4%. Rizzo's K rate was 30.1% his rookie season and now it's 11.1%. Young guys strike out a lot when they're first introduced to big league pitching. I don't see any reason why Happ wouldn't be able to make adjustments like his teammates have.

Bryan't BB% in his rookie year: 11.9
Rizzo's: 13.7
Happ: 8.4

I think that's an important thing to takeaway from his point. Not that 8.4% is a particularly bad BB%, but a high walk rate indicates that you're recognizing pitches well instead of just swinging at everything.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I remember watching game 163 in the workout room at my apartment complex because I couldn't afford cable. It owned.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm pretty sure you have to start with Javier Baez

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Joey Freshwater posted:

I got my copy the other day and the mailman had put it perfectly in my mailbox so that the cover was facing out and I got a facefull of naked Javy when I opened it.

gg mailman

(s)he knew what (s)he was doing

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

I've been making GBS threads on Beltran but he actually got off to a hot start! He was at one point slashing .308/.308(lol)/.385

Since then:

.220/.286/.412 in 283 PA

Yet he's still the primary DH

Fun fact: that second slash line has a higher OPS

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm going to the game today I'm excited to see Berrios pitch, hopefully the Astros didn't break him

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

N: Miguel Sano has hit a home run in the last four Twins games I went to

V: :yeah:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It's not a true rivalry until you send someone to the hospital and ruin their life in the stadium parking lot because they're a fan of the other team

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paracaidas posted:

Whatever happened to the MiLB prospect thread, anyway?

Any time someone wanted to talk or be happy about their prospects a bunch of assholes raced to see who could assure them that actually they would bust horribly just like every prospect. I think eventually mods shut it down and nobody bothered to make a new one.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Altuve probably isn't going to statpad for like five years at the end of his career though

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sano had one a week or so ago that statcast missed as well, they just hit the ball too dang hard

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm never happy when my team loses

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wonder if it was Tyler Jay or Nick Burdi

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Farchanter posted:

HELLO, I AM HERE TO DATE YOUR DAUGHTER

one of my favorite avatars

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sydin posted:

Well more and more people seem to be jumping on the robo-ump train lately, maybe we just go whole hog and make robo-players too?

Also we should give the players jetpacks and put land mines on the field.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Didn't someone on the Rockies injure himself trying to carry a deer up his stairs or something once? Or maybe it was just groceries?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It's great of course but what really puts it over the top is adding "The All-American Boy" at the end

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

Jose Altuve has surpassed Aaron Judge to take over the league lead in WAR :getin:

I don't know why I didn't cut off the last number, it's total bases

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 25, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sydin posted:

The best I can find is this, which does not include the parking lot comment but for some reason includes a guitar riff over Hawk getting really mad:

https://twitter.com/HawleySports/status/889946892980957184

That's the Ultimate Warrior's theme you uncultured swine

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

Is there some sort of cool tool that allows one to see what a player's stats would be if they played their home games in another ballpark?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/neutralized-stats.cgi?t=b

The second box lets you change the "home" park and even has a convenient auto-fill for the 2000 Rockies.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

We haven't made the postseason in three straight seasons since 1906-08. That'd be a nice milestone.

I'm wearing my ring right now so ask how many shits I'll actually give if we don't make it though

How many shits will you actually give if you don't make it?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

this is exactly how this sort of poo poo is supposed to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It's gonna be really funny when the Twins end up flipping Garcia to another team at the deadline after they lose two of three in Oakland and get a worse prospect than Ynoa in return.

• Locked thread