Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Gimbal lock posted:

Trinexx posted https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp in the Discord.
The timing's early, but there's a 5 hour maintenance supposed to happen tonight anyway. Maybe they started early.

Noooooo! They were supposed to start Rainmaker up again in an hour! How am I going to get out of C rank hell and Rainmake with my friends if I can't make it rain?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

I made a separate twitter account just to post Switch screens to

Which reminds me, I forgot to post this one

https://twitter.com/bownszeldapics/status/890121450300035072

(was 4x3 but that's still the biggest loss I've ever seen)

This one happened to me.

Two of my teammates dropped. It sucked.

I did a bunch of Rainmaker yesterday. I had forgotten how fun it is! Just one more rank up and I can play with my friends! Can't wait!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

dog nougat posted:

Just picked this up yesterday. Am pretty bad still, but having so much fun playing this. Still have yet to get outta turf wars. It'd be nice if there was an option to change your load out between rounds without completely exiting the lobby. I mean it's a p casual shooter experience, so it's not really the end of the world having to back out.

Already really disliking the aerospray. I've made the conscious effort to not even buy it/use it. Seems a bit op in turf wars. Like it has way too high of an ammo capacity.

The Aerospray is good at painting turf and nothing else. It has lovely range and eats through ink like whoa. It's my go-to "just wanna get a good score in Turf War with minimal effort" weapon. If you're having legit trouble against Aerosprays then use a weapon that out-ranges it, which is... pretty much all of the guns. For instance the N-Zap has almost identical rate of fire, a narrower spread, and a lot more range than the Aerospray. Try that.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Cicadas! posted:

I love the bucket! I love it!

:yeah:

I just got the Tri-Slosher and it is very much my jam! I wanna try it out in ranked. In the last game they specifically buffed the damage sloshers do to the Rainmaker shield. If that buff still applies, seems like the Tri-Slosher would be decent there? I've been using the Splat Roller so far and doing... OK.

I have yet to try Splat Zones at all. I used to clown people an awful lot with a roller in Splat Zones.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

C-SPAN Caller posted:

It's fun to shoot your friends anyways, I had an 8 person discord game in pub servers not too long ago, everyone got to splat and chat

Splat and squid bag your friends! I get into squid bagging wars when I play against my friends. It's good fun.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Bill Barber posted:

Do it like upgrade scrolls in Maple Story. Use a drink for the sub you want and hope the first two rolls go your way, and then use your chunks for the last slot. If not, just scrub and try again.

This is what I was planning to do when I got around to farming for abilities. That's how the drinks work, right? Related how do you get more of them? I don't think I've seen one for Ink Resistance, which is the one I'm hurting for the most right now.

In Training posted:

Even if they're natural rolls the third one still takes 30 ability chunks. It's easier to do 1:1:1 of the abilities you want

What? That's super loving dumb. I'll probably try to find a few clothing items I like and spread abilities between them, in that case.

Regarding abilities, though, from this link which was posted earlier, each slot only has two abilities it can be, depending on brand? Common and Uncommon? So Ink Resist only shows up on Enperry and Squid Force? Or am I reading it completely wrong?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Lakbay posted:

Grind up the splatfest tee shirt then scrub it for 2k each, it's squidforce which favors ink resistance. I level it up once, scrub, repeat since it's cheap.

I'm up to 18 ink resistance chunks

I'm just getting massively unlucky then. I have yet to get Ink Resist on my Splatfest shirt. I'll keep trying, though!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Zelder posted:

moray towers in splat zone and tower control is my jam. Never tried it in rainmaker

Moray Towers is hella fun in Rainmaker. If you can manage to squid up the sides or up the halfpipe when you're holding the thing, you can halve the countdown almost instantly. It's nuts.

It's the only mode I actually like to play that map in.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I thought I understood how Splatnet works, but I don't think I do.

There's a helmet up there right now with Ink Resistance, which I would normally be all over, except I just bought that same helmet in the shops and it has Tenacity (which is only found on helmets and the only piece of gear with that ability I've found so far.) When I tap on the helmet, the app says the common ability is special saver. What's it talking about? It can't be the regular ability the helmet has in the shops because that's definitely Tenacity.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

In Training posted:

Common Abilities mean it has a higher chance of showing up in the slots when it levels up

Oh. Well that's less helpful. Now I'm going to actually have to look up what the normal ability for gear is on Splatnet before I buy it. (Since if I decide the shop ability is better, I'm screwed unless I can buy it off a squid kid.)

Blank Construct posted:

This weapon set is good, actually

Yeah this weapon set is fine. But then again I also thought the last weapon set was fine, and people were complaining about that one up, down, and sideways.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

hey welcome to the show! posted:

I love when people say the sloshers are close ranged weapons.

They have the same range as the repeater and dualies

Yyyyeah no. Sloshers suck at close range. If someone gets in my face when I'm using a Slosher I'm a dead squid.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Lakbay posted:

I heard the queue for S ranks is really long because there's not many people that high yet, maybe I should be glad I can't get past A

What's a queue time?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Woo I just reached A- in Splat Zones! I think that's the first time I've hit A-anything in Ranked.

I had a badass moment in the last match. I came up the side of the Zone and Splatted 3 dudes right in a row! One of my teammates saw and gave me a Booyah. :3:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

^burtle posted:

I could sense that the Tri-Slosher was going to get nerfed the second I decided to try it and started feasting. Back to the dualies life. :(

The only nerf it got, as far as I know, is taking slightly longer to charge its special. Otherwise I haven't noticed any difference.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I got a pink capsule. It was a Grizzco Polo. :geno:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Dr. Fetus posted:

Do you really have to complete every single level in the single player campaign with a weapon just to unlock a reskin? :wtc:

On that note, for the people that have played with the umbrella shotgun a bit, what do you think about it? I'm personally a little iffy on it, but I can see it having quite a bit of utility for more support oriented playstyles.

I like it. Seems like it'll be useful for getting the drop in snipers with the shield, and when the umbrella launches ahead of you, you can surf behind it like I used to do with Seekers back in the day.

I tend to favor shot-gun weapons in shooters, so it seems like my jam.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Overbite posted:

I'm ready to throw in the towel and just give up entirely on splat zones. I just cannot win a match of this. Got almost out of c- but then I ended up on a losing streak and lost a lot of meter and I'm stuck here forever and I hate it. I'm fine with everything else but in splat zones if a team gets it at the start (never mine) they can just keep it forever. And all the zones are on tops of hills.

edit: lost another

Try changing weapons? Some weapons work better in some modes than others. I got to A- with the Tri-Slosher. My bane is Tower Control. I hate it and I suck at it.

I suck at Rainmaker too, but I like it, so I persist.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

DaveKap posted:

I honestly can't wait for this splatfest to end because mayo in any quantity that is more than a light spread makes me want to hurl.

Same here, my dude. I don't mind it in stuff so much, like egg or chicken salad or whatever, but if I can taste the mayo itself, I NOPE out so hard.

Scholtz posted:

Both sides of the spoilers argument are acting just so incredible.

It's kind of a dick move to just post that poo poo completely untagged. I mean yeah that poo poo is telegraphed a mile away and anybody with half a brain could predict where the ending was going, but it's still a dick move. Speaking for myself, I have only dabbled in the single player because I've spent most of my game time playing online with friends/goons, so I haven't seen it for myself yet.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Onean posted:

Just in case someone wants a serious answer, because cultural foods are interesting and mashups in two different cultural foods can be even more so, omurice is usually an omelette stuffed with chicken fried rice and topped with a bit of ketchup. Just like both the Western omelette and Asian fried rice, the stuffing and topping can vary wildly by personal preference, including noodles instead of rice, and makes for a rather popular dish.

That's really cool! I love reading about stuff like that. It's fascinating what other cultures do with each other's food. I'd actually like to try an omurice...

Lakbay posted:

A backwards cap with tenacity just popped up on splatnet. I haven't used tenacity but it's head gear only and the only other pieces that I've seen have it are the soccer headband and mtb helmet so it's rare enough you might want to pick up

Thanks for the heads up on this! I love me some Tenacity and Tenacity on fresh gear is a big plus.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

JackDarko posted:

Is tenacity worth it? If so what does the loadout on a tenacity build usually look like?

Tenacity is a good general purpose ability. It makes your special charge faster when your team has fewer people active than the enemy. This is an especially common occurance in Ranked, but it comes in especially handy when someone on your team drops.

Pair it with stuff like Special Recharge up and Special Saver, I'd say. Special Power Up too probably. You don't necessarily have to build your kit around it. It's just a handy thing to have around.

Escobarbarian posted:

I don't even really understand which bit is the spoiler? Like, you really think just "what the boss looks like" is a spoiler? That's so weird.

Who the final boss is and what he looks like would constitute a spoiler, yes. The final boss of the first game was just so rad with everything from the music to the general aesthetic. If the final boss of this game is anywhere close to that, I'd hate for anyone to get spoiled on that before they could experience it in all its glory.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Saltspray Rig was my jam and I want it back.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I just tried Tower Control for the first time basically since it was introduced back in the first game, after having a miserable time with it and hating it.

I went 6-2 and got bumped from C- straight up to B. Uh... why did I hate this mode again? Oh right, probably because I didn't have my baby the Slosher.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I just unlocked the Flingza Roller. It looks... interesting? I want to try it out tomorrow.

I also, briefly, hit Super Fresh for the first time with my trusty Tri-Slosher! That felt good.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

rogue wave posted:

I don't normally like shooters at all, but goddamn if this game isn't fun as hell. I rented it to give it a try and I will be purchasing it immediately when I return the game. I'm only a level 13 player right now, but I'm really enjoying the the multiplayer game and collecting weapons and gear. I'm excited to re-roll my powerups or abilities or whatever on those soon too. I've only barely played Salmon Run or the solo Canyon poo poo, but those seem really cool as well. League Gear and Ranked Play will neat to check out too. Do most of you stay out of those last two, or are they pretty legit? I haven't tried yet, but hopefully I can get to a B- with ease. Is Turf War the best mode or should I be trying something else?

Anyone exchanging friendcodes or just in-game Ids or what?

I mostly stick to Turf War, and Salmon Run when it's available. Ranked is fun but it's too intense for me to play for long periods of time. I can only take it in small doses. Turf War is nice and chill.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Atoramos posted:

The MMR in Turf War seems really bad which is one of the few reasons I've been avoiding it.

The what? I don't know what MMR means in this context.

Turf War is a nice way to chill, try out different weapons and strategies, and make some extra EXP and gold.

Atoramos posted:

nope, that was a bug that they patched (and reverted all clothes)

You can still get gear with different main abilities than what you find in the stores. What got patched was slot-locked abilities showing up on the wrong equipment. For instance, no more Ninja Squid on hats, or whatever. There have been a couple hats with Tenacity that don't normally have Tenacity, and a desert camo hoodie with Ninja Squid.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Lakbay posted:

I suspect it's not ketchup vs. mustard because it would be like 99% mustard vs. 1% ketchup in all regions of the world

I'd be in the 1% then because I loving detest mustard.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

absolutely anything posted:

i don't like ketchup, mustard or mayo

where's the bbq sauce NINTENDO

I'm sorry the best condiment is hot sauce, especially sriracha sauce. Love that poo poo.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

JackDarko posted:

It'll be cheaper and easier if you don't pull all 3 subs on the same item. If you've got the time and patience go for it though. That's a clean piece of gear!

I rolled two Ink Saver Main subs on my rain boots, then figured I'd pop an Ink Saver Main drink to get the third slot.

It did not work. :shepicide:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Dr. Fetus posted:

The Salmonids are a bunch of slow moving and predictable targets. It's easy to snipe them with the Charger once you learn how to use one. And at higher ranks, if you don't know how to use most of the weapon types, you probably shouldn't be up there anyway. And if you don't think the player holding the Charger is capable of carrying the game, then do it yourself with one of the other weapon types you got.

When I'm charger in Salmon Run, my biggest problem is not hitting the boss Salmonids. Those things are huge and barely move and are easy to hit if you have even an Inkling of what you're doing. My problem is getting swarmed by the little anklebiters when I'm trying to line up a shot. The quick pew pew inking you get when you tap the fire button mitigates it somewhat, but there's just so drat many of them and I can't kill them fast enough. And if I'm spending all my time dealing with the little zit salmonids, I can't do my job as a charger. I can't count the number of times I've gone to line up a shot on a Steelhead or something and got bumped by a chum or small fry at just the wrong time and whiffed the shot.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Frankston posted:

What the heck is going on when I'm being "splatted by the rainmakers barrier"?

The barrier explodes when it's popped. If any of the opposing team members are caught in the blast radius, they get Splatted.

Also if the expanding bubble pushes you against an obstacle, it'll smoosh you. It can also push you off the edge of the stage.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two things. One, I finally made Profreshional in Salmon Run! :woop: Thanks, Nintengoons Discord. Ya'll are great Salmon Run buds.

Two, I tried out the Octobrush again on a whim. It never clicked for me before but for some reason tonight, it clicked. It clicked real good. Why does it have so much range?! I was being very rude with it and I should probably feel bad.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

gently caress the Trislosher and gently caress the people who use it. It's an overpowered mess that literally ruins ranked matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fO1YFLMNKo

I just don't know what they were thinking, it currently 2 hit kills under basically 90% of circumstances and it outranges the 52 GAL even though it really shouldnt while also having no RNG on the accuracy regardless of if you are moving or jumping.

Then they gave it Ink Armour so it's even harder to kill if you get the rare opportunity.

It is absolutely a good weapon, too good!

Hey you can pry my bucket from my cold, dead tentacles, buddy!

Bucket is life!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I unlocked the gold Aerospray today, decided to try out out after not using an Aerospray for a long time.

Hah. Lol at anybody saying Aerosprays are overpowered or need to be nerfed. They suck. Sure, you can paint turf for days and rack up a huge score, but the minute you come up against any weapon that outranges you (which is pretty much ALL OF THEM) you're dead. And then the enemy who just splatted you inks over all the terrain you just inked, undoing all your progress.

I had a bunch of games where I was the highest scoring member of my (losing) team, and I can safely say I didn't contribute positively at all. All I did was paint turf, die, and then go repaint the turf I painted before.

Switched back to the Octobrush and golly gee gosh suddenly I can contribute again!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

bizarre deformity posted:

I meant to say how do I but anyway

I have had some awesome teams that worked well together and/or booyah'd a lot but they are few and far between.

Edit: I have really only used the regular Splattershot/Hero Shot Replica in Turf Wars because I refuse to use an Aerospray or Tri-Slosher like all the filthy casuals. But seriously, I haven't found another weapon that I have really liked. I tried the Dual Squelchers but I lost like five in a row and gave up.

I know you're not being serious... but the Tri-Slosher is not in the same category as the Aerospray. It's one of the better weapons for Ranked, as well as being fine in Turf War.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

tap my mountain posted:

This weapon set isn't too bad. Although you can really tell when there's a moron holding the sploosh

How do I not Sploosh like an idiot? I haven't bought it yet and haven't Run Salmon yet today, either.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

tap my mountain posted:

Not murder every no boss salmonids especially during grillers. That thing shreds through everything easily it just doesn't have any range so it's I'll suited for a lot of bosses.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Aim lower than you want to actually hit things. The Sploosh is a little weird like that.

Thanks. I figured out pretty quickly what the Sploosh was for: mowing down the anklebiters. I made that my JOB. I could also pop the Steelheads if I got a bit of high ground.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I had a long day yesterday, so I kinda... snapped at yet another useless charger hanging back waaay in our territory and refusing to actually go out and, ya know, BE USEFUL?

So... I spent the last minute of the match trying to annoy him. First I swam around him squidding repeatedly. Then I got right in front of him and mashed the brush button in his face (I was an Octobrush) until I ran out of ink. Then I recharged my ink and did it again. Then the last 10 seconds I just followed him spamming "BOOYAH" constantly.

He was still in the next, several, of my matches, doing the exact same thing.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

What the gently caress, people? There's nothing wrong with Turf War and there's nothing wrong with Ranked, either. If you like Turf War better then by all means play it! At least try Ranked, though. You might find you like it! Who knows?

I personally like Ranked just fine but it's too intense for me to play often or for long periods of time. Turf War is very chill. Salmon Run is my favorite, though.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Smiles posted:

yeah, i can vouch for how bad overwatch got. i peaked at mid-masters (3790sr), wanted to get to grandmaster this season, but it really started to grate on me on how mad everyone would get. i actually stopped after playing with someone on my friends list, i picked another hero other than my main (ana at 170 hours, more than every other hero combined, but im still a pretty decent all-rounder at everything else), we got trounced pretty badly and he said angrily in voicechat, "shouldnt have expected much from an anabot". something snapped in my head, i quit the game and havent loaded it since

i still think its a fun game but its just been ruined for me thanks to these people who keep gettin mad at videogames. rip my gold biotic rifle, gold rocket launcher and gold machine pistol

anyways you dont really have that problem in ranked thanks to no voice chat but i still do get jittery just cause of how super intense it can get. maybe i will start splatting that zone, controlling that tower or raining that maker, i dunno yet, i play games to relax, salmon run might be on when i get home from work today and nothing is more relaxing than aiming a stingray down a rush of salmonids during a glowfly event

What the heck is an anabot, or do I even want to know?

Sorry you had a crappy experience. :( Oftentimes I am very glad Splatoon doesn't have global voice chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Smiles posted:

to be honest there could be worse insults, he just meant that the hero i mained most, ana, was the only hero i was good at, even though i also play a mean pharah and soldier 76. which was another annoying thing i found with overwatch, people can mouse over your profile to see which hero you play most, and if you play anyone that you havent got a lot of hours in, you might get accused of throwing the game and get reported if you dont switch heroes.

im glad theres none of that in splatoon, once youve spawned in a match, you gotta work with whatever your teams got. yeah thats right, i brought an aerospray into tower control, sorry buddy but youre stuck with me for the next five minutes, stop flopping angrily at me and lets go win this thing

What the gently caress?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm very average at shooters but I played season 1/2 and got Plat playing only Torb, and on Overbuff I was one of the top 500 Torb players ranking-wise. I'd get some complainers here and there but it was pretty easy to ignore. I tried to play a few games last month and the instant I picked Torb I would have the entire team mic yelling at me or just picking all snipers because "if you're throwing, I will too." I used to play Torb on offense and now I literally can't because people will straight-up just quit the game. I also play an extensive amount of DotA2 and the Overwatch community is way way way way way worse, I played for three days before uninstalling.

Now I'm grinding my ranking in PUBG and am considering picking up Splatoon2 so I can have a nice low-stress game where I can ink on some nerdlets in an emotional safe space

What the gently caress?!

OK, thanks to you two, I no longer wish people could change their weapon after seeing what their teammates are using. Sure it leads to poo poo like all Aerosprays against weapons with actual range but at least it doesn't allow for poo poo like that! You are well rid of that game and its lovely community.

Goddamn I have a bad taste in my mouth now.